Conquer Club

Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Postby Steve The Mighty on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:40 am

It might be worth considering bring Home runs into play. See game 9093729 - I have one region home run 1 with 266 troops. I cannot influence the game as I cannot attack - I have two choices miss my turns and get kicked out or take my turns and watch the armies grow. Both options delay the game and serve no purpose.

My thoughts but this is the first time I have encountered a potential problem with this map apart from the initial days when the correct number of troops were not allocated to players - this seems to have been fixed or resolved itself
Private 1st Class Steve The Mighty

Postby qwertylpc on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 am

HighlanderAttack wrote:If something is not figured out with this map it goes down as the worst map in cc history

there is nothing strategic about it==advance out and get lucky with the dice and pray your opponent can't take what you took

all I do is drop and go until my opponent does something--if they dont do anything I dont do anything but drop

It is ridiculous

same, except when i attack i tend to lose like 12 v1 so i just lose on that map anyway
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby natty dread on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 am

It may be that this map just isn't meant for 1v1 or team play...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby jpverkamp on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm not sure if this is the place to bring this up or it's already been mentioned, but I'm pretty sure it's possible to deadlock a Baseball game.

If all of the Pitchers have been killed (bombarded by the mound), then no one can take Babe.
If no one can take Babe, then no one can take the Home Runs.
If two different people own the Home Runs, the game won't end.

Did I miss something?

Here's an example where exactly that has happened: http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=9217783
Sergeant jpverkamp

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Yes, hold all the bases to win.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby jpverkamp on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Got it. It's easy to miss that, although that's a problem with almost all win conditions.

Thanks.
Sergeant jpverkamp

Postby Thomassaurus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Do the 4 neutrals on each base have a purpose? if they were removed that might help motivate players to attack first,
or if some of the bases were easier to take, EG: 1st = 1 neutral, 2nd = 2 neutrals, 3rd = 3 neutrals, home = 4.
Private 1st Class Thomassaurus

Postby sannemanrobinson on Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 am

Thomassaurus wrote:Do the 4 neutrals on each base have a purpose? if they were removed that might help motivate players to attack first,
or if some of the bases were easier to take, EG: 1st = 1 neutral, 2nd = 2 neutrals, 3rd = 3 neutrals, home = 4.

This makes sense, also in relation to Baseball that the last bases and home are more difficult to reach. The bonus values could also be in relation with the neutrals though.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby jimfinn on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 am

Maybe players could start with a pitcher and a few (maybe four each or so) territories on the field? That would make the game more interesting, I think and break some stalemates.
Jimfinn is looking for regular doubles/triples/quads partners. Please contact him if you are interested!
Corporal 1st Class jimfinn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:58 am

jimfinn wrote:Maybe players could start with a pitcher and a few (maybe four each or so) territories on the field? That would make the game more interesting, I think and break some stalemates.

You know what, that's not an awful idea. Not enough to gain any bonus straight away but enough to have a bit of direction in place from the outset.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby mr. CD on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:35 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:
jimfinn wrote:Maybe players could start with a pitcher and a few (maybe four each or so) territories on the field? That would make the game more interesting, I think and break some stalemates.

You know what, that's not an awful idea. Not enough to gain any bonus straight away but enough to have a bit of direction in place from the outset.

Don't think it'd work, it'd make it luck only. First player to gain a bonus wins.
And before someone says it is that way allready, it isn't. In my opinion it's a good map, even for 2 players. Just don't play it sunny (and even if you do, it can get very interesting).
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby lostatlimbo on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:48 pm

It would also be interesting to see you incorporate in walks and stolen bases somehow. That might help avoid the bottle-necking issues.

I dig this map despite its flaws and hope it works out!
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Coleman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm

jpverkamp wrote:Got it. It's easy to miss that, although that's a problem with almost all win conditions.

Thanks.

You just made me think of an awesome UI suggestion. You are the man. =D>
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Kase on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Possible bug. But I don't know where to post to.
In Baseball:King of Diamonds Game #9519202
We are playing escalating and chained. So when I finished my attack from Willie to Jackie, I tried to reinforce going back to LD4. But the game would not let me start my reinforcement from Jackie, which has 7 troops on it. Please let me know where I was supposed to post this possible bug.

Thanks Kase
Cook Kase

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Kase wrote:Possible bug. But I don't know where to post to.
In Baseball:King of Diamonds Game Game 9519202
We are playing escalating and chained. So when I finished my attack from Willie to Jackie, I tried to reinforce going back to LD4. But the game would not let me start my reinforcement from Jackie, which has 7 troops on it. Please let me know where I was supposed to post this possible bug.

Thanks Kase

Fixed. Willie to Jackie is a one way attack, that is the reason.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby callmecommander on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:29 am

maybe you already know this or maybe I'm just too dumb to understand this map, but is their a way to get to the home run balls after losing your pitcher when it gets bombarded? Right now, I don't think there is. I'm currently in a game where a guy only holds 1 home run ball and basically can't move. It has nuke spoils so It'll work out but what happens with escalating or flat rate? Without a way to retake pitchers or to retake the batter after losing your pitcher, I think it would be possible to create a literally endless game.
SW
Corporal 1st Class callmecommander

Postby ender516 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 am

There is a winning condition of holding all four bases. Once you take them all, and after your opponent takes his last frustrating turn where all he can do is deploy, you will win when you start your turn.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 am

callmecommander wrote:maybe you already know this or maybe I'm just too dumb to understand this map, but is their a way to get to the home run balls after losing your pitcher when it gets bombarded? Right now, I don't think there is. I'm currently in a game where a guy only holds 1 home run ball and basically can't move. It has nuke spoils so It'll work out but what happens with escalating or flat rate? Without a way to retake pitchers or to retake the batter after losing your pitcher, I think it would be possible to create a literally endless game.

This has been mentioned countless times now. Either "Control all bases to win" isn't grabbing people's attention, or they don't understand that it's actually a winning condition. Maybe consider rewording it? Would something like "Hold All 4 Bases for 1 Turn to Win the Game" be more effective?
Major drunkmonkey

Postby callmecommander on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 pm

ok. Sorry. I didn't see that. All makes since to me now. Thanks for clarifying.
SW
Corporal 1st Class callmecommander

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:57 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
callmecommander wrote:maybe you already know this or maybe I'm just too dumb to understand this map, but is their a way to get to the home run balls after losing your pitcher when it gets bombarded? Right now, I don't think there is. I'm currently in a game where a guy only holds 1 home run ball and basically can't move. It has nuke spoils so It'll work out but what happens with escalating or flat rate? Without a way to retake pitchers or to retake the batter after losing your pitcher, I think it would be possible to create a literally endless game.

This has been mentioned countless times now. Either "Control all bases to win" isn't grabbing people's attention, or they don't understand that it's actually a winning condition. Maybe consider rewording it? Would something like "Hold All 4 Bases for 1 Turn to Win the Game" be more effective?

I can do the change if it's ok with Evil D.

Postby melech14 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 am

great game; i've been playing since day one with 62 completed games..
a lot of my games are 2-player and I actually prefer that in 2-player games each player starts with 4 pitchers like it used to be (or 2 or 3 maybe). Natty you must be tired of all this feedback but ...

What about lowering the homerun neutral to 5 or 6? Or why can't the outfield defenders assault the homerun (like catching the ball)?

anyway...great game..... i think everone knows you are at a disadvantage attacking first (especially in no spoils game)...

m.
Sergeant melech14

Postby dumhic on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Steve The Mighty wrote:It might be worth considering bring Home runs into play. See game 9093729 - I have one region home run 1 with 266 troops. I cannot influence the game as I cannot attack - I have two choices miss my turns and get kicked out or take my turns and watch the armies grow. Both options delay the game and serve no purpose.

My thoughts but this is the first time I have encountered a potential problem with this map apart from the initial days when the correct number of troops were not allocated to players - this seems to have been fixed or resolved itself

What if Home Runs Could Attack either all the pitchers? or Babe?
Just to allow them to contribute to the game or make them beneficial?

I'm bringing this up, b/c I'm in a game and my only position is the HR ball...... while everyone else jockies for more territory, i'm left 'hanging' till the game ends... able to do nothing
Cook dumhic

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 pm

We could put a requirements region on everywhere that isn't the home runs. Then if a player was reduced to just the home runs they'd be eliminated.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:41 pm

That might not be a bad idea. In a 1v1 game, the other player can simply take the bases for the win, but if there are more than two players, then the one stuck on the home run might be there a long time with nothing to do.

EDIT: In fact, this might be a good feature to add to the site. The game engine could generate an implicit requirement for one territory that can bombard or attack. Without that, you are eliminated immediately.

Quick, Kato, to the Suggestions forum!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:26 pm

But what about team games. You can still be useful to your team even if you can only deploy.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas