Conquer Club

Scrollable Maps

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Scrollable Maps

Postby grunion on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am

Make the map board scrollable in the game view

For maps that are especially long vertically, i.e. First Nations Americas, Conquer Club and several others, it is hard to be able to see the status of the board during ones turn if you are trying to make moves in territories on the top of the map. You have to keep scrolling the entire window up to see the territories, then back down to click on the dice roll or troop management buttons, then back up to check the map again, et al. It makes it hard to keep momentum during a turn and the constant interruptions to scroll back and forth make it hard for players with feeble minds like myself to remember the names of territories. It results in a lot of errors. It even affects my strategy in these games as it makes it preferable to build from the bottom of the map to avoid having to scroll the window.

Thus I'd like to have the map image to have the option to be placed in a scroll box, just like the game log and (optionally) the text map.
Sergeant 1st Class grunion

Re: Scrollable Maps

Postby grunion on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:26 am

Are there any objections to this idea? Especially an issue when playing on a laptop (which is about 75% of my turns these days.)

Postby demonfork on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:19 am

grunion wrote:Are there any objections to this idea? Especially an issue when playing on a laptop (which is about 75% of my turns these days.)

Yes me...I object!
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby Darwins_Bane on Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:31 pm

What about people who already click on the map right now? i could see a lot of issues with both these features being active at the same time.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby TheTrueNorth on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:17 pm

scrollable maps? Works for me
Corporal 1st Class TheTrueNorth

Postby grunion on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 pm

There are so many maps in which I cannot see both the northernmost territories and the die result/drop downs. Scrollable maps would immediately alleviate this issue, and there is no downside.

Postby chapcrap on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:09 pm

grunion wrote:There are so many maps in which I cannot see both the northernmost territories and the die result/drop downs. Scrollable maps would immediately alleviate this issue, and there is no downside.

Did you see this?
Darwins_Bane wrote:What about people who already click on the map right now? i could see a lot of issues with both these features being active at the same time.

I agree with Darwin. I feel like there would be issues with clickable maps. And it would be more of a hindrance in my opinion. I don't want to have to scroll the map to see the whole thing. I want to see it all at once.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby grunion on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:16 pm

The suggestion as stated requests for it to be an option that players who prefer clickable maps or find it confusing or a hindrance could turn off. The advantages on long maps in my opinion justify turning it on. It would make all maps far more playable on alll smaller-screen devices (like laptops, netbooks and smartphones.)

Postby chapcrap on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:12 am

grunion wrote:The suggestion as stated requests for it to be an option that players who prefer clickable maps or find it confusing or a hindrance could turn off. The advantages on long maps in my opinion justify turning it on. It would make all maps far more playable on alll smaller-screen devices (like laptops, netbooks and smartphones.)

I guess if it's an option, then I don't really mind. I do not think that I would use it. How much work would that be? I would like to see other things worked on ahead of this if it were to be put through. Perhaps it could be implemented as part of an add on.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby MrDarkwaters on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 am

This would also come in handy with Bob's map inspect.
On the larger maps while your mouse hovers of a territory you can't read bob at the bottom of the map. First Nations Americas is a perfect example, map inspect is all but useless here & with some maps have difficult fonts to read being able to scroll into an area & use map inspect would make things easier.
Sergeant 1st Class MrDarkwaters

Postby grunion on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree, it is guesswork on the bigger maps as to what territories you are bordering, and Bob Map Inspect doesn't help because it doesn't fit on the screen. I hope this feature can be considered.
MrDarkwaters wrote:This would also come in handy with Bob's map inspect.
On the larger maps while your mouse hovers of a territory you can't read bob at the bottom of the map. First Nations Americas is a perfect example, map inspect is all but useless here & with some maps have difficult fonts to read being able to scroll into an area & use map inspect would make things easier.

Postby dwilhelmi on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:36 am

Turning on the HUD feature of BOB alleviates this issue to a certain extent, as you can access controls without having to scroll at all.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

Postby grunion on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:16 am

I would truly like to see this request acted upon in 2012 - I find the longer maps unplayable on my laptop (which is where I do most of my CCing these days) especially those with complicated borders. If you make it an option there is no downside. Other page features are scrollable (ie log, turns, BOB text map and features) why not the map itself?

Return to Archived Suggestions