Conquer Club

We want you!

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: We want you!

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:03 am

RjBeals wrote:you guys do have persistence.

The fact you don't love anymore a thing doesn't mean that the other people must feel the same.
Good Luck and have fun Rj, do not waste your time to come here just to repeat all time the same whining!
We understood.... =;

edit: sorry if my words may sound a little harsh...but I think you understand what I mean.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:14 pm

your right nobodies. that post was uncalled for. hope you find some eager volunteers to help with the foundry.
Private RjBeals

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:31 am

Sounds great ... I've had a few ideas for maps but being an assistant is the great place to start ... get back to me ...
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:25 am

thehippo8 wrote:Sounds great ... I've had a few ideas for maps but being an assistant is the great place to start ... get back to me ...

Sort of the idea behind being an assistant is helping other people with their maps. If you have a great idea for a map go ahead and post it in the melting pot: viewforum.php?f=63

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:47 pm

you can count me in
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 pm

The Bison King wrote:
thehippo8 wrote:Sounds great ... I've had a few ideas for maps but being an assistant is the great place to start ... get back to me ...

Sort of the idea behind being an assistant is helping other people with their maps. If you have a great idea for a map go ahead and post it in the melting pot: viewforum.php?f=63

Never mind my ideas, I was just saying that this sounds like a great thing to do ... count me in!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks everyone for showing interest. :)
Now the CAs are reviewing all the applications, we will make an official announcement in few days.

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 am

Hello everyone,

It's a great pleasure for me to announce that our
Foundry Assistants are: The Bison King and ironsij0287. :)

After a short period to familiarize with the new role, The Bison King and ironsij0287 will come in full force to give a hand to Industrial Helix, in fact their primary task will be to keep the Drafting Room flowing.
They will help the mapmakers to follow the right way during the earlier stage of the map development and they'll also keep an eye to the ideas subforum to see if something good pops out.

Please remember that the Foundry Assistant are here to help ONLY with the mapmaking process (i.e. move topics, stamp maps).
So, if you have any map-related issues or questions, please contact one of the Cartographers.

Nobodies

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:29 am

Congrats guys =D> =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:30 am

Awesome! Well-deserved. And congratulations! =D>

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:35 am

Good news indeed. Well done guys.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Congratulations Comrades!

You both bring valuable foundry experiences to the table and I hope you are able to share these with others - all for the greater good :P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby OliverFA on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Congrats The Bison King and ironsij0287! =D>
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby DiM on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 pm

congrats guys.

i'm just wondering, why will they take care of the map ideas? why not put them in the main foundry? 1 CA+2FAs seems like overkill for a subforum that barely gets 3-4 posts per day. instead we might profit from their skills in the main foundry where they could go from map to map and give feedback analyse etc.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 pm

DiM wrote:congrats guys.

i'm just wondering, why will they take care of the map ideas? why not put them in the main foundry? 1 CA+2FAs seems like overkill for a subforum that barely gets 3-4 posts per day. instead we might profit from their skills in the main foundry where they could go from map to map and give feedback analyse etc.

I have a counter opinion. Perhaps it was simply because there were less attempted avenues in my time, but map ideas used to be the most active forum in the foundry. More CA presence and encouragement there could help jump-start a (needed in my opinion) revolution in that section. Of course it won't correct some, perhaps greater, problems I feel I am viewing right now, but I will simply present my evidence on Thursday and see what course of action, if any, everyone will wish to pursue at that time.

Regardless, congratulations. I hope this will be both an exciting and positive time.

EDIT: Actually given how past Thursdays have gone I may be ... incapacitated. Perhaps Friday morning.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 am

in theory that sounds good coleman but how could they possibly kick start the ideas sub-forum?
let's say that at each new suggestion they immediately respond in a kind and warmly manner and try to help the person that posts the idea accommodate with the foundry. yeah that's good but we don't need 3 people doing that when there are so few new ideas. in the last month there have been 10 new ideas. 5 are still in the melting pot and 5 have moved to the drafting room. so that's a new idea every 3 days. yes we desperately need more new people coming with their ideas but having 3 people in charge of that section won't help. at least not now. unless they start advertising, organising contests and lotteries etc.
until a more important flow of people comes to the foundry we also need to address the problems in the main foundry where feedback is scarce, maps struggle to remain alive and reach a point when the map maker either abandons them in frustration or he starts complaining and the map is moved forward.
maps in recent years have been on a descending slope both regarding the graphics as well as the gameplay. i do not mean it as an insult to map makers or to the CAs. it's a collective fault that has as the main culprit the lack of feedback. no matter how good you are at map making, without feedback you won't get that perfect map. you might get a decent one tops.
so basically what i suggest is getting a few CAs and FAs and make like a Feedback Committee that goes from map to map and tackles it in all aspects. similar to the foundry drive-by that the AADOMM used to do (if anybody remembers).
this will please the map makers, increase the quality of maps and most importantly speed up the map making process. let's say you're a new player on this site and you want to make a map. how willing are you to start working on something that's about to last 1 year or maybe more? maps need to go through the foundry faster but at the same time they need to improve faster and that's where the Foundry Committee comes in.
at the same time thenobodies80 should pressure lack into coming up with something to get people to the foundry. this is lack's problem so it is in his best interest to get active and implement something
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:21 am

DiM wrote:at the same time thenobodies80 should pressure lack into coming up with something to get people to the foundry. this is lack's problem so it is in his best interest to get active and implement something

As you well know some of what I am finding can be interpreted to support what you are saying.

I think the best course of action is already being taken. We need more new people and there are now campaigns aimed at top 100 websites to move us to the top of the lists. Albeit, only one and it starts in August but I imagine more will follow.

Covertly organizing a collection of people like what AADOMM used to be before all the best ones took off to work on their 'project' could help, but what we really need is incentives to even start the map making process. Unfortunately, I do not know what those would be and it only grows more difficult when so many ideas have already been done and continue to be done. I don't want every theme to end up like USA or Europe where there are 4 or 5 different versions of them.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Coleman wrote:it only grows more difficult when so many ideas have already been done and continue to be done. I don't want every theme to end up like USA or Europe where there are 4 or 5 different versions of them.

ideas should be the least of our worries. give me a few days and i can come up with 100 new ideas for maps. there are still dozens of geographic areas to map, there are plenty of historical events, books, movies, legends, fairy tales and most important, there's the wonderful world of fantasy. i'm sure each and every one of the people on this site can get a pen and a sheet of paper and draw a nice interesting map just out of his imagination. slap a theme and a gameplay and you got yourself a blockbuster.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 pm

I think I have to side with DiM on this one. Ideas are plenty... what we need is ability to properly execute those ideas.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:01 pm

I
so basically what i suggest is getting a few CAs and FAs and make like a Feedback Committee that goes from map to map and tackles it in all aspects. similar to the foundry drive-by that the AADOMM used to do (if anybody remembers).
this will please the map makers, increase the quality of maps and most importantly speed up the map making process. let's say you're a new player on this site and you want to make a map. how willing are you to start working on something that's about to last 1 year or maybe more? maps need to go through the foundry faster but at the same time they need to improve faster and that's where the Foundry Committee comes in.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense to me as well. There are plenty of ideas, what we really need to do is focus on making these ideas become a reality. If a map (or map maker) is properly stimulated it should take much less than a year to complete. Granted there's only so much any person can pour into something, but that's another aspect of the map making process. Making the map maker put everything he can into a project, while not forcing him to over analyze what he himself needs to do. Hmm.. does that make sense?

What the map maker wants is a clear and cohesive voice that can push him along and keep him motivated. The voice needs to understand that the map maker has his own goal, and that he should trusted to complete that goal to the best of his ability. The people who are serious will eventually grow to realize their potential, but creative people can't be told exactly what to do. In the melting pot and drafting room there are a lot of idea's that honestly have little potential, and it's clear that the map maker hasn't enough drive to to see the project to the end. However some map makers emerge who have some real creative spark. In the melting pot I think it's less important to try and spark every little idea that comes along into a fire that may or may not be too glorious, but for us to build the honest sparks that already exist into great burning bon-fires.
what we really need is incentives to even start the map making process

Again I think this is a valid point. Although the real struggle begins with the fact that those incentives have to be personal. We have no gold or myr to offer. The only reward the map maker can receive is personal satisfaction and a free year subscription (which is pretty great). I think it's important that the foundry remember that the people who exhaust their time and energy to this site do it out of shear love and devotion to the site, the game, and their own ideas.

Well whatever, I seem to be losing m train of thought. I'm glad to of been chosen. I look forward to helping out, and I hope to see some great ideas flourishing in the upcoming months.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby ender516 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm

On the face of it, the idea of a Feedback Committee is good, but I am not sure how it differs from the current Map Surveyors group, or the earlier Map Incubator concept.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:47 pm

ender516 wrote:On the face of it, the idea of a Feedback Committee is good, but I am not sure how it differs from the current Map Surveyors group, or the earlier Map Incubator concept.

Of course, Map Surveyors doesn't have a forum for map discussion and the like.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
ender516 wrote:On the face of it, the idea of a Feedback Committee is good, but I am not sure how it differs from the current Map Surveyors group, or the earlier Map Incubator concept.

-Sully

The Map Surveyors group may not have a private forum, but why does it need one? The Map Surveyors should be posting in the individual map threads discussing each map, and if they have general issues to discuss, this forum seems like the right place.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:35 am

ender516 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

-Sully

The Map Surveyors group may not have a private forum, but why does it need one? The Map Surveyors should be posting in the individual map threads discussing each map, and if they have general issues to discuss, this forum seems like the right place.

Touché.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 am

i don't know who belongs to the map surveyors group or what happened to the incubator concept. all i know is that we need more input from the CAs and FAs.
out of curiosity i looked at some of my old map threads. they're filled with posts from the officials. keyogi, despite our numerous differences and disputes, took his time and posted in my thread on every page, sometimes even on a daily basis. andy was present as well. right now the CAs barely have 2-3 posts per week in the whole foundry. don't get me wrong, i understand that people have personal lives and free time is a very valuable commodity. heck, this is the very reason i left CC 3 years ago, i had no time. so keep the current CAs as their experience is invaluable, get more FAs from the "young generation" and form that Committee that gives feedback daily not weekly.

oh, and feedback from this committee should in no way be regarded as 100% official. they simply have to pop in a and comment like i do or like any other foundry user does.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions