Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Op Drug War(GRX touchup)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Prefered Border Style

Total votes : 0

Re: Operation Drug War (Updated 1/8/2011) [Graphic Touchup]

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:12 am

Some of the borders don't make full lines, and you don't have one separating telephones from the places they can hit inside buildings?

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Telvannia on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:05 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:Some of the borders don't make full lines

That is meant to be where the territory borders moved from roof level to ground level, i might just get rid of it.

rdsrds2120 wrote:and you don't have one separating telephones from the places they can hit inside buildings?

Good spot i will correct that asap.

Cheers Tel.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Honestly, the lighting effects are too prominent here. I understand you're probably going for a realistic look, but the high fluctuation in light levels makes the map look all splotchy and hard to read. Maybe you could even them out somewhat?

Also, the edge of the photo looks bad. It's blurry and pixelated at the same time... you may want to redo it.

And btw, red text on a green background never works... I'm referring to "junkie" in the upper right corner. Stash in the lower center area is also hard to read, same with Junkie CI...

Also, the legend text looks somewhat blurry.

Well, that's about all I can see. Hope this helps.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby edbeard on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:27 am

=thumbs up=

does the site have a separate legend section yet? imagine how cool this map would be if you could use the whole 800x800 or whatever on the map itself.

If at some point you can post just the main image (no text, symbols, borders) that would be very cool to see. not sure if that's your base image and everything else is on top or what. i'm very curious to see what's going on in this city.

the streets are awesome

muscle1 and muscle2 don't have a border between them

p.s. I'm not back or anything. I was just bored and couldn't sleep and ended up here. If I remember I'll be sure to come back and see the final product
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Telvannia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:51 am

natty_dread wrote:Honestly, the lighting effects are too prominent here. I understand you're probably going for a realistic look, but the high fluctuation in light levels makes the map look all splotchy and hard to read. Maybe you could even them out somewhat?

Possibly, anyone else think this is an issue? For now I will try playing with the light settings, but i quite like the contrast...

natty_dread wrote:Also, the edge of the photo looks bad. It's blurry and pixelated at the same time... you may want to redo it.

Fair point, it is a fine example of my sometimes lazy map making, i will correct it.

natty_dread wrote:And btw, red text on a green background never works... I'm referring to "junkie" in the upper right corner. Stash in the lower center area is also hard to read, same with Junkie CI...

I find it readable, then again i suppose i know what it says, although i would prefer not too change it too much as i would like to keep the graphics as close to the originals as possible.

natty_dread wrote:Also, the legend text looks somewhat blurry.

I was planning not to change the legend if possible, so we shall see if many other people think it is a problem or not.

edbeard wrote:does the site have a separate legend section yet? imagine how cool this map would be if you could use the whole 800x800 or whatever on the map itself.

Sadly nothing like that at the moment, a lot of things could be made a lot nice if that had been implemented. To be honest as far as i can see since i was last here the only major change for map making is supersizing...

edbeard wrote:muscle1 and muscle2 don't have a border between them

Cheers, i will add that in aswell.

edbeard wrote:If at some point you can post just the main image (no text, symbols, borders) that would be very cool to see. not sure if that's your base image and everything else is on top or what. i'm very curious to see what's going on in this city.
the streets are awesome

Just for you edbeard, here it is at double size, although it looks nowhere near as pretty at this scale as you can see all the error :P
Big version of image

edbeard wrote:=thumbs up=
p.s. I'm not back or anything. I was just bored and couldn't sleep and ended up here. If I remember I'll be sure to come back and see the final product

Cheers. Maybe when it is finished you would like to pop back for a quick game to see how the new graphics play.

Tel.

P.S. Updated the image above.

Re: Operation Drug War (Updated 6/8/2011) [Graphic Touchup]

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm

The first things I noticed were the badges (for Detective, etc.) and the books (for District Attorney, etc.) are awfully blurry/pixel-y/uneven. The steering wheels are also rather pixel-y. Even the other icons have their imperfections...

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:00 pm

What if you got rid of the borders, but just used the walls (lighten them, maybe) and the use of doors as borders? For the park in the upper right, you could use a white fence?

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Telvannia on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:The first things I noticed were the badges (for Detective, etc.) and the books (for District Attorney, etc.) are awfully blurry/pixel-y/uneven. The steering wheels are also rather pixel-y. Even the other icons have their imperfections...

Yeah i noticed that and im working on, although very slowly...

rdsrds2120 wrote:What if you got rid of the borders, but just used the walls (lighten them, maybe) and the use of doors as borders? For the park in the upper right, you could use a white fence?

I fear it might not be very obvious and people do love a reason to complain about anything that makes it hard to play a game, i will play with it but i dont think it will work.

Cheers Tel

Postby Telvannia on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 am

Click image to enlarge.

Army number test

Done
Changed the special army circles to make them look finish. I reckon this is now a fully finished draft i think. So i have posted it with the army numbers aswell

To Do
Still got to finish the small map, post it soon.
But mainly moving a few army numbers to make it fit better.

General thoughts on the graphics please?

Re: Op Drug War (Updated 13/8/2011) Army no. [Graphic Touchu

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:07 am

Hi tel,

I have to be honest although the new 3D image for the photo is fantastic. I feel that the overall quality of the image is brought down by maintain the old envelope background. It looks outdated compared to your new crisp image. I think you are more than capable of bring it up to standard with your new image.

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:22 am

gimil wrote:Hi tel,

I have to be honest although the new 3D image for the photo is fantastic. I feel that the overall quality of the image is brought down by maintain the old envelope background. It looks outdated compared to your new crisp image. I think you are more than capable of bring it up to standard with your new image.

Cheers,
gimil

I think you are right, i have been trying to avoid it, but i think it needs to be redone.
Tel.

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:49 am

Telvannia wrote:
gimil wrote:Hi tel,

Cheers,
gimil

I think you are right, i have been trying to avoid it, but i think it needs to be redone.
Tel.

You would of never got away with avoiding it ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:50 am

Finally got round to do some work on this map, trying a new legend style. Thoughts before i continue.
(the minimap is copy and paste at the moment, i will redo it properly later.)

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Op Drug War (Updated 13/8/2011) New Legend [Graphic Touc

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Why not... just slap a paper texture on it and it should be ok.

Although, why not move the "Orders issued" part up a bit so that Zimmah's name won't be so obscured there.

Also: you need to give the text and lines a tilt to match the paper's.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Telvannia on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:50 pm

natty_dread wrote:Also: you need to give the text and lines a tilt to match the paper's.

They are matched with the paper, just the paper is not matched with the picture :P

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Excellent start tel, on redoing the legends area. I know it isn't finished but it look 100% better. I eagerly await the finished product :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 am

Let me just start by saying legends are the worst part of a map for me...

I got this done awhile ago and i have been sitting on it trying to decide if it looks right. Basically to make the legend fit as an easy option i have just let things overrun a bit, my reasoning being the legend was typed on a type writer there would not mind over running, and being a police file it does not matter much. After thinking about this for ages i thought i might aswell seek some advice.

Just one thing i realised, i should probably make the holes in the paper actual holes rather than black squares.

So here it is with a completed legend, thoughts:

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Telvannia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Op Drug War (17/8/2011) Complete Legend [Graphic Touchup

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:59 am

I like the idea, on the other hand I think there will be a lot of complaints about not being able to read it. So you will probably have to nix the idea. Let's wait and see what others have to say about it.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Telvannia on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:10 pm

isaiah40 wrote:I like the idea, on the other hand I think there will be a lot of complaints about not being able to read it. So you will probably have to nix the idea. Let's wait and see what others have to say about it.

Yeah, im expecting complaints, but there are not many words that mus*le, pat*ol, tu*n, sec*or could be apart from the right word, particularly words that are relevant to the map.

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:17 pm

I know, I was just giving you a heads up on it. ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Gillipig on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:42 am

It's a little too dark I think! I like what you've done with the roads. Maybe you could make it dark outside but not inside?
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Telvannia on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:26 am

Gillipig wrote:It's a little too dark I think! I like what you've done with the roads. Maybe you could make it dark outside but not inside?

As in dark outside the houses and light inside? I have tried to do that, are there any parts you think are particularly dark?

Postby Telvannia on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 pm

This might have to go on vacation for a bit, i have just returned to uni and i dont really have much spare time to work on this,
Hopefully i will find time to work on this before the christmas holiday.

Postby gimil on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Telvannia wrote:This might have to go on vacation for a bit, i have just returned to uni and i dont really have much spare time to work on this,
Hopefully i will find time to work on this before the christmas holiday.

Boo tel. You always did suck ;).

If you want to put it on vacation pop me a PM and I shall do the formalities.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:51 am

[Moved]

Per mapmakers request this map is on vacation. Please let an CA know if you wish to continue this project once an update is made.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Previous

Return to Recycling Box