Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Choose Army Color At Start ~Stickied/Last Call TFO~

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 am

jammyjames wrote:5 years.... this will never get done :lol:

It'll get done, it'll just take another 5 years :)

On that note, happy 5th anniversary to choose your own colour!
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 am

jammyjames wrote:5 years.... this will never get done :lol:

I hope not. It appears lack has some good judgment, and when he gets time to work on the site, he spends it on improvements and not time-wasters like this.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby lethlethe on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:12 am

I do not like this idea. A better idea would be that the colours are assign based on the start of the round. This would mean that player who is randomly picked to start, is always red. The following players always follow the same order of colours. In this way, it is always clear when a round starts and when a round eds (without the need to look at the game log).
Captain lethlethe

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:08 pm

lethlethe wrote:I do not like this idea. A better idea would be that the colours are assign based on the start of the round. This would mean that player who is randomly picked to start, is always red. The following players always follow the same order of colours. In this way, it is always clear when a round starts and when a round eds (without the need to look at the game log).

Umm, what about Freestyle?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Is the "host" of the game still always red or top position though? Some people have unwritten rules, idk such as adjacent attacks. Its a common indicator where I can say okay this guy is host, im sure his rule is in effect, cant as easily figure it out if you are playing a lot of games with that person
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby lethlethe on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:15 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
lethlethe wrote:I do not like this idea. A better idea would be that the colours are assign based on the start of the round. This would mean that player who is randomly picked to start, is always red. The following players always follow the same order of colours. In this way, it is always clear when a round starts and when a round eds (without the need to look at the game log).

Ah. Well. First player to play gets to assign the colours? Or, as it is now? Or the host can choose and assign colours to the remaining open slots? I have no idea.
Captain lethlethe

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:24 pm

lethlethe wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

Ah. Well. First player to play gets to assign the colours? Or, as it is now? Or the host can choose and assign colours to the remaining open slots? I have no idea.

Well, I doubt what you are suggesting is going to change what is already been suggested. It's sitting in Submitted because enough people like what was already suggested. If you want, I would suggest opening a new Suggestion about it.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby lethlethe on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:39 pm

I just think that if you change the colour system it should be based on more than personal preference. It should add something to the game (i.e. have some informational value). If I was 10 it might have cared if I played with my favorite colour, but that has kind of grown out (especially since my favorite colour for God know what reason was yellow). :)
We'll see how it pans out. I might post a suggestion later (now I'm just curious how my current suggestion post will fare).
Captain lethlethe

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:13 am

MoB Deadly wrote:Is the "host" of the game still always red or top position though? Some people have unwritten rules, idk such as adjacent attacks. Its a common indicator where I can say okay this guy is host, im sure his rule is in effect, cant as easily figure it out if you are playing a lot of games with that person

The host would not necessarily be red, but red would be the top position all the time, which I think may qualify as "host" in quotes always being red as far as your question goes.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:17 am

lethlethe wrote:I just think that if you change the colour system it should be based on more than personal preference. It should add something to the game (i.e. have some informational value). If I was 10 it might have cared if I played with my favorite colour, but that has kind of grown out (especially since my favorite colour for God know what reason was yellow). :)
We'll see how it pans out. I might post a suggestion later (now I'm just curious how my current suggestion post will fare).

I'm not sure if you've ever been a premium player or not and if so, if you've ever had an insane number of games going at a time (40+ casual games), but I can say from personal experience that playing with the same colour in all games would really, really help when you're playing so many games. It can get very confusing when you're playing the same map with different colours.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Re: Choose Army Color At Start

Postby OnYourShore on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Any progress on this yet? If I want to be able to choose blue as my color I can't start my own games. And I'm having a hard time finding games to join as blue with the settings I prefer. And I agree with a previous poster, it would be a nice perk for premium members.
Sergeant 1st Class OnYourShore

Postby agentcom on Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Browsing submitted suggestions at random and came across this. I think the original suggestion was a decent and simple one. As I understand it, you would just allow some variation from the "first person to join is red, second is green, third ..." I would think this could be as simple as allowing a player to join the game in any position. Just like in team games where you can choose to join any team, you would open that up to all games. If there is a further problem about the host always being red, then a simple addition to the Create Game screen ("Join in position X" where X is a dropdown menu with the colors) would solve this.

Seems like the functionality is already there and there's 12 pages of discussion, much of which likely provides support for this. So I say, why not?

If what I've said has been addressed, let me know.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:27 pm

do we have pick your color yet?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 pm

What if two people want the same color (red and blue seem to be popular for some weird reason) and they want to play the same game? Seems like might cause more pissiness than happyness.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Red is popular because it is popular to start games, dearie.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby codierose on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 am

2006 cool
Major codierose

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:What if two people want the same color (red and blue seem to be popular for some weird reason) and they want to play the same game? Seems like might cause more pissiness than happyness.

First come first serve. They don't HAVE to play in that game you know...
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:12 pm

codierose wrote:2006 cool

Completely useless suggestion...it should sit here for another 6 years... :roll:
Major drunkmonkey

Postby agentcom on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 am

drunkmonkey wrote:
codierose wrote:2006 cool

Completely useless suggestion...it should sit here for another 6 years... :roll:

Lol, I tend to agree. I think the only valid reason that I've seen is that some folks are color blind and prefer to not be green/silver or some other combo. I know, I know color codes and everything is the response to that.
Colonel agentcom

Postby 72o on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Couldn't you theoretically have whatever color you want as your color all the time? If you like red, your armies could still display as red on your screen even if you're the second player. It could just switch colors with the first player and make him green, as you see it.

It sure would make the "WTF BLUE YOU IDIOT" chat confusing, but it could work.
Sergeant 72o

Postby agentcom on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 am

72o wrote:Couldn't you theoretically have whatever color you want as your color all the time? If you like red, your armies could still display as red on your screen even if you're the second player. It could just switch colors with the first player and make him green, as you see it.

This is exactly it. Some people have suggested that each player be allowed to assign the colors (or at least their own color) for them to see.
Colonel agentcom

Postby 20ozjolt on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm

at-least allow the game creator to chose his color

i like to make games but green is my favorite color
Private 1st Class 20ozjolt

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 am

agentcom wrote:
72o wrote:Couldn't you theoretically have whatever color you want as your color all the time? If you like red, your armies could still display as red on your screen even if you're the second player. It could just switch colors with the first player and make him green, as you see it.

This is exactly it. Some people have suggested that each player be allowed to assign the colors (or at least their own color) for them to see.

I don't think it would drastically hurt anybody if people had to start referring to each other by username instead of in-game color. I think it would improve community camaraderie.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby chapcrap on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:23 am

Metsfanmax wrote:
agentcom wrote:

I don't think it would drastically hurt anybody if people had to start referring to each other by username instead of in-game color. I think it would improve community camaraderie.

Yes, but like all things on the site, not everyone is aware of every aspect, so you can bet that people will still not now that you can assign colors and there would inevitably be confusion.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ender516 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 am

The site could put "P1:", "P2:", etc. in front of the player names on the game page. It wouldn't take much to convince people that using the numbers was shorter than typing "red" or "blue". Better yet, a button next to the players name to inject "@name" into the chat box would be very handy.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions