Conquer Club

Jules Verne Contest [Complete]

Tournaments completed in 2012.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: Jules Verne Contest [Act II Round 1 Maps 1-5]

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:06 am

General Redstone wrote:I am claiming the map bonus on Lunar War (ID: Game 9401802). Should I say this again at the end of the map?

squishyg wrote:Game 9401795 bonus achieved. Noted in game chat.
Pack Man wrote:I am claiming the bonus in game Game 9145023. No confirmation in chat due to fog of war.

fixed game links
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Jules Verne Contest [Act II Round 1 Maps 1-5]

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:35 am

Greenland games have been created and invitations sent out.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=149236&p=3278576#p3278576

The bonus -- hold 3 passes for 3 rounds -- seems almost impossible, but then we've also had some games with easily achieved bonuses, so I guess it balances out.

Pandemonium wrote:I play only Lunar War now - if other freemiums are slot-ready (please announce here) - I think we can start the Greenland games.

- PS - as far as I can see, only n.n., PnC, dexterdexter & growler don't have a slot at the moment...

n.n. has a slot at the moment, and PnC is in an escalating New World game that should go fairly quickly now that card cashing has begun. So I guess dexter and growler will be our problem children for this round...:-)

Edit: Duncana doesn't have a slot either.
Last edited by Dukasaur on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Jules Verne Contest [Act II Round 1 Maps 1-6]

Postby jrbedwell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Claiming the bonus in Game 9401797, Lunar War. No confirmation in game chat due to fog.
Colonel jrbedwell

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:42 am

jrbedwell wrote:Claiming the bonus in Game 9401797, Lunar War. No confirmation in game chat due to fog.

Good job.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:44 am

Okay, the list of people missing their first invite is even longer than expected:
Mc Lor
stevkov
PnC
n.n.
growler
duncana
dexterdexter
iwillrocku

All are re-invited for now. After the second invite we'll see if more drastic measures need to be taken.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Conchobar on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Howdy Dukasaur. Seems to be a dual claim for bonus in game Game 9401801 Thanks!
Colonel Conchobar

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Conchobar wrote:Howdy Dukasaur. Seems to be a dual claim for bonus in game Game 9401801 Thanks!

Yuppers. I think that one will have to wait for the end-of-game log review.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby n.n. on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 pm

I want to get out of this tournament, please and very sorry for the inconvenience.
Live long and prosper.
Captain n.n.

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 am

n.n. wrote:I want to get out of this tournament, please and very sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem. Looks like we're also losing iwillrocku, who sent me a resignation PM, and Mc Lor, who has vanished from CC with no explanation.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:59 am

Okay, so I've made the following adjustments:
The 8-player that n.n. was in has been re-made as a 7-player without him.
The 8-player that iwillrocku was in has been re-made as a 7-player without him.
The game McLor was in was already a 7-player and I didn't want to go down to 6, so I jumped in it. (I will not gain any points regardless of the outcome.)
We still have PnC, dexterdexter, duncana, and growler waiting for free slots, but all of them look like they will have one soon.

The list of Greenland games, including the latest adjustments:
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=149236&start=30#p3278576
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Fewnix on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:51 pm

claim for a bonus in this lunar war game 9401797, I will cede it, but now someone thinks he held two seas. I was holding off my turn until a ruling but I may have to go soon.

2011-08-14 06:42:10 - MattiWacklin: I have held s & n mare imbrium for at least three rounds now... Do i get the b
2011-08-14 06:42:25 - MattiWacklin: Bonus?
2011-08-15 15:43:53 - JJ41375: Since it is foggy...I can't tell.
2011-08-16 13:23:50 - MattiWacklin: A strange setting really..
2011-08-16 22:52:56 - Fewnix: I can see green holds two seas and I am reasonably sure has held them for 3 rounds soif need be I can certify the bonus
2011-08-16 22:54:49 - Fewnix: shold be posted in the thread, I am not sure if we keep playing, will hold off until a ruling
2011-08-17 05:04:44 - growler: i think I may have held a couple of seas for a few rounds too, to be honest I wasn't really aware of what the bonus was!!!
2011-08-17 14:06:53 - Fewnix: apparently itis mares not seas/ see top of map Tournament: Jules Verne Contest - Act 2 rd 1 mp 4 - bonus 2 Mares 3 rounds
Private Fewnix

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:16 am

If any of the freemium players in the Jules Verne Contest wants to sign up for the Spread the Warmth Epidemic and can't find a premium partner, I'm willing to help.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby rmjw10 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:45 am

i have held ice cap for two rounds

rmjw10
Cook rmjw10

Postby general_c on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I see that PNC doesn't have the free slot for game 9594938. It doesn't look like he is going to have one anytime soon can we move on without him? The game has been up for almost a week.
Colonel general_c

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am

Something has to be done. I'm working on a proposal but it's too slow and difficult typing on the laptop. When I get home on Friday I will be sending out a letter to everyone.
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:21 pm

My friends, we have to make some decisions.

This is an epic-scale tournament, involving 27 maps, not counting the finales, and played with a complicated bonus structure and scoring system, and with flat rate spoils to make players pay attention to the map bonuses instead of just going for escalating kills. Even if it had been restricted to premium players only, it might easily have taken a year to complete, but the situation is hugely exacerbated by the fact that the original TO (DJENRE) recruited many freemium players, and with your slot restrictions we are moving at a snail's pace, and might take three years to finish it at the current rate.

That's if we can even keep the players for that long. Player satisfaction is low; there are many complaints and several players who have quit. This is a tournament that should never have accepted freemium players. If I had understood how badly designed this tournament was, I would never have agreed to help run it, but I was very new to the tournament world when DJENRE originally asked me and I didn't see the design flaws in it. All I saw at the time was that it was a beautiful idea. Beautiful it is, but hopelessly impractical. Anyway, what's done is done, I volunteered, and now that DJENRE has vanished I'm stuck with the thing.

Something needs to be done. I'm spending a ridiculous time on this tournament and getting bad results. There are two games which will auto-delete soon, because three freemiums cannot free up a slot to join them. Three other freemiums are stuck in those games and might pull out of them before the first three get in.

Like I said, a tourney this big and complex should never have accepted freemiums, but it did, and they/you are more than 25% of the total players, some of them quite high on the scoreboard. I certainly can't retroactively kick them out, but going on like this is turning my last few hairs gray. I even debated buying premium for everyone myself, but there are fourteen freemiums left, and I just can't afford that kind of money.

So what can be done? I've put together some ideas. I want to know what everybody thinks of them. Please look at the points below and comment on any that you think are viable, and any that you absolutely would not accept.

1. Should I short-turn the tournament? Just arbitrarily cut it off and announce a winner after the current round is over? Basically scrap about 80% of the tournament and calculate results after what we have completed?
And if we do that, should we a) attempt to play the finales, or b) scrap the finales also?

2. Should I start ruthlessly cutting anyone who can't make their invite, even though it seems very unfair? (And it raises a whole new nightmare, adjusting the scoring, because the whole score system was based on 8-player games. I've already had to make some 7-player games, but if I start ruthlessly cutting people I may end up with 6- or even 5-player games. No idea how to address the scoring if that happens.)

3. Here's an idea I had: allow proxy players. Basically the freemiums that can't make an invite because of slot limitations could invite a premium proxy to play in their place. The proxies wouldn't be eligible to score any points, but they would be able to fulfil your spot and prevent you from getting kicked out because you don't have a free slot. Actually, the more I think about it, the better this idea looks to me.

4. Should we stop trying to play several maps at once? Just play one map at a time and accept that the tournament might take four or five years to finish? I mean, it's not like CC is going to vanish.

5. Anything and everything. I'm open to suggestions. Actually, I'm desperate... :(

6. Of course, if there was somebody in the tournament who is wealthy enough to gift premium to fourteen players, that would solve all our problems...:-)
ā€• Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby rmjw10 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:27 pm

I think that if someone cannot join a game in proper time then they should be cut.
Cook rmjw10

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Eliminate the length in two ways:

1) change the tournament to be SEVERAL tournaments that build as a story: ACT 1, ACT 2, ACT 3. I.e., "Jules Verne Act 1 tournament." And so on.
This may have the advantage of generating NEW excitement and new blood into future ACTS, i.e., "future" Jules Verne tourney's that will complete the modified vision. If this is done, a fresh, rewritten home page for the tournament must be done that is short, succinct, and a few hundred words.

Winners of each do not have to advance unless they choose, receive a medal, maybe premium (?), and a pat on the back.

2) Cut a few maps from each ACT, which will shorten things.

Re: Players:
1) I have no tolerance for players who say they'll participate then do not, and never say anything. You shouldn't either, since you're doing the work. If you hear nothing, they're gone. You're already doing this. I support you there, at least!
2) Be ruthless: if they don't show, keep the game but reformat the game to include X fewer number of players, minus the player who didn't show. This is simple, and could be done within 24 hours of a new round formation.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby JJ41375 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:32 pm

I think the idea with proxy players could work, if they have somebody who could do that. Otherwise maybe get a reserve to be a proxy player.

Otherwise let this take 4 or 5 years. Hopefully most of us will still be playing.

Just my two cents.

Thanks.

JJ
Major JJ41375
SoC Training Adviser

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Should we stop trying to play several maps at once? Just play one map at a time and accept that the tournament might take four or five years to finish? I mean, it's not like CC is going to vanish.
I vote we continue at a snailpace no matter how long it takes.
I understand the troubles. I sympathize with the TD, and the players. Cutting players who miss their invites might be possible. However, i'd rather win fair and accept it takes longer then shortcut people out of the tournament.
The other though is to just cut the tournament short or end it.
my preferance is keeping all players. but i'd rather cut in the lenght of the tournament then in the players.
negative on proxy players, unacceptable. besides who would win the prize then, the proxy or the original?
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby torres44cm on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Dukasaur wrote:My friends, we have to make some decisions.

This is an epic-scale tournament, involving 27 maps, not counting the finales, and played with a complicated bonus structure and scoring system, and with flat rate spoils to make players pay attention to the map bonuses instead of just going for escalating kills. Even if it had been restricted to premium players only, it might easily have taken a year to complete, but the situation is hugely exacerbated by the fact that the original TO (DJENRE) recruited many freemium players, and with your slot restrictions we are moving at a snail's pace, and might take three years to finish it at the current rate.

That's if we can even keep the players for that long. Player satisfaction is low; there are many complaints and several players who have quit. This is a tournament that should never have accepted freemium players. If I had understood how badly designed this tournament was, I would never have agreed to help run it, but I was very new to the tournament world when DJENRE originally asked me and I didn't see the design flaws in it. All I saw at the time was that it was a beautiful idea. Beautiful it is, but hopelessly impractical. Anyway, what's done is done, I volunteered, and now that DJENRE has vanished I'm stuck with the thing.

Something needs to be done. I'm spending a ridiculous time on this tournament and getting bad results. There are two games which will auto-delete soon, because three freemiums cannot free up a slot to join them. Three other freemiums are stuck in those games and might pull out of them before the first three get in.

Like I said, a tourney this big and complex should never have accepted freemiums, but it did, and they/you are more than 25% of the total players, some of them quite high on the scoreboard. I certainly can't retroactively kick them out, but going on like this is turning my last few hairs gray. I even debated buying premium for everyone myself, but there are fourteen freemiums left, and I just can't afford that kind of money.

So what can be done? I've put together some ideas. I want to know what everybody thinks of them. Please look at the points below and comment on any that you think are viable, and any that you absolutely would not accept.

1. Should I short-turn the tournament? Just arbitrarily cut it off and announce a winner after the current round is over? Basically scrap about 80% of the tournament and calculate results after what we have completed?
And if we do that, should we a) attempt to play the finales, or b) scrap the finales also?

2. Should I start ruthlessly cutting anyone who can't make their invite, even though it seems very unfair? (And it raises a whole new nightmare, adjusting the scoring, because the whole score system was based on 8-player games. I've already had to make some 7-player games, but if I start ruthlessly cutting people I may end up with 6- or even 5-player games. No idea how to address the scoring if that happens.)

3. Here's an idea I had: allow proxy players. Basically the freemiums that can't make an invite because of slot limitations could invite a premium proxy to play in their place. The proxies wouldn't be eligible to score any points, but they would be able to fulfil your spot and prevent you from getting kicked out because you don't have a free slot. Actually, the more I think about it, the better this idea looks to me.

4. Should we stop trying to play several maps at once? Just play one map at a time and accept that the tournament might take four or five years to finish? I mean, it's not like CC is going to vanish.

5. Anything and everything. I'm open to suggestions. Actually, I'm desperate... :(

6. Of course, if there was somebody in the tournament who is wealthy enough to gift premium to fourteen players, that would solve all our problems...:-)

Man! I feel your pain, you took over a messy situation, if no one wants to pay for 14 premiums which I don't expect anyone would, it would be less painfull for you to cancell the whole thing. You have a nightmare on your hands, just a thought. I don't want to play a 3 year tourney. also I thought freemiums were suppose to keep enough slots open. alot of perople might not like it, but mayby replace the freemiums with premiums as you suggested.
Sergeant 1st Class torres44cm

Postby fairman on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:50 pm

change the spoil to escalating in all round.
Brigadier fairman

Postby rjhankey on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm

There's a thought ... if a freemium has not been willing to keep a slot open and can't make an invite ... go to the reserve list, and stress to the reserves that they need to have slots available, or even encourage reserves to only be premium.

You could even poll the freemiums and see which of them intend to truly remain available -- maybe they're even considering converting to premium? Some of them may also tell you they'd rather be replaced by a premium player permanently, especially when they realize the length of the tourney. The proxy idea is similar, but does introduce the question of who are we playing against, the registered tournament player, or the prox(ies)?

I'm also in the camp that we continue along with the tournament as designed, although it may run for quite a while. You could extend an opportunity to all involved in the tournament to turn their spot over to a reserve if they're not interested in a tourney that's going to run as long as this one?
Captain rjhankey

Postby bobzimmerman on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:34 pm

First, thank you for picking up the tourney and doing such great work with a flawed system. I will support whatever decision you come to, but here are my thoughts.

I believe the freemiums were told the need to keep slots open. If they don't check in on time and are cut, there is little room for complaints. The proxy option is creative, but I think it raises more problems than it solves. I am certainly enjoying the tourney and would live with it stretching out for years, but that is quite a commitment on your part. I would be satisfied with shortening the tourney for your sake.

Please though, no escalating spoils. :sick:
Captain bobzimmerman

Postby Bandido on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi
I'm one of the 14 freemium, I always keep a freeslot or two for the tournament, the others could do the same.
And I will buy a premium if the others freemiums are ready to do the same.

I was a premium membre first, but I let it go to freemium because that help me do not join too many games at the same time. I was a CCoolic ;)

And no escalating plzzzz!
2012-10-20 23:23:17 - neutral player eliminated madman7 from the game in round - 1
Lieutenant Bandido

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2012