Conquer Club

All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [13.Aug.11] - V6 p1&4

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 pm

DiM wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:One last thought... I'd consider getting more creative with your tech level names. There's something about all these HT2.5 AT6.4 names that conflict with the very slick, fun, arcade-style graphics you have going on. HT2.3 looks more like a long-haul trucker's CB radio tag than a top-secret technology advancement. When I look at this map, I see Space Invaders in the middle and Algebra on the sides. I want to know what technology I'm building! :)

I'd be happy to help you brainstorm some names. Like advancing from artillery to lasers? EMPs?

i've been told this but i don't know what to say. on one hand i'd love to see some specific names especially if they're good ones. but on the other hand i like the fact that the current names give you a mental image of their location very easily. when you say HT2.3 you immediately know it's the 3rd terit on the 2nd row for tech lvl 2 on the human tech tree.
however if there were distinct tech names that i could shorten to 2 characters and use them like i do now perhaps it would be the same.
for example alien tech lvl 2 could be "Gene Splicing" and i'd have terit names like this: GS-1, GS-2....GS-8

I think your Gene Splicing example is the way to go.

The numbers, while straightforward, just tend to blur together - evident in the legend typos. This is less of a problem with clickable maps, but distinct names would be a lot more fun to look at and give it added character.

I'll brainstorm some names and post them here tonight or tomorrow for your perusal.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us[15.Aug.11]-V7p1&5-DraftSt

Postby mr. CD on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 am

[quote=DiM]imagine you're in an assassin game. would you rather go through 10 terits to get you your target's final one, or would you take tech lvl 1 and bombard him wherever he is?[/quote]
Neither, you'd take his base and have him eliminated. It'd be nice to bombard some people around your lab or silo though.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:45 am

mr. CD wrote:
DiM wrote:imagine you're in an assassin game. would you rather go through 10 terits to get you your target's final one, or would you take tech lvl 1 and bombard him wherever he is?

Neither, you'd take his base and have him eliminated. It'd be nice to bombard some people around your lab or silo though.

to take his base you need to get all the way to tech lvl 3. bases can only be attacked from there.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mr. CD on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:17 am

DiM wrote:
mr. CD wrote:
DiM wrote:imagine you're in an assassin game. would you rather go through 10 terits to get you your target's final one, or would you take tech lvl 1 and bombard him wherever he is?

to take his base you need to get all the way to tech lvl 3. bases can only be attacked from there.

I know, but your target's final territory can't be anything but his base.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:17 pm

This is what I find confusing, It says bases can ONLY be attacked by HT2.1 ect... but what about the territories on the map that are connected to it.

Also the font, while conducive to the theme, is an incredible chore to read.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us [15.Aug.11] - V7 p1&5

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:22 pm

ManBungalow wrote:I'm guessing the legend at the bottom is supposed to read "can attack HT 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4" instead of "can attack HT 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4" next to the human base.

I wanted to mention this but saw ManBungalow addressed on the page 5. As of right now the instructions don't appear to list any way to attack Human Tech Level 1.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:23 pm

The Bison King wrote:This is what I find confusing, It says bases can ONLY be attacked by HT2.1 ect... but what about the territories on the map that are connected to it.

Also the font, while conducive to the theme, is an incredible chore to read.

i already mentioned that the red lines on the map are temporary until i find a better solution. one that's more visible. that's when i'll also do the one-way arrows.

as for the font, i believe you're the first to complain.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:24 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:I'm guessing the legend at the bottom is supposed to read "can attack HT 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4" instead of "can attack HT 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4" next to the human base.

I wanted to mention this but saw ManBungalow addressed on the page 5. As of right now the instructions don't appear to list any way to attack Human Tech Level 1.

sorry i missed this. will correct asap.
fixed in the first post.

still no stamp/movement? :roll:

edit// apparently not. it seems my numerous updates and the interest so far aren't worthy of a stamp.
in this case i see no point in continuing this map if after all this work it's not even considered a draft.
so i would like this to be binned/boxed/vacationed or whatever.
Last edited by DiM on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 pm

DiM wrote:still no stamp/movement? :roll:

How about a sticky?

I agree with Bison King on the font. It's readable but I feel like it takes an extra second to decipher whereas something a little clearer may help, especially with a map as complex as this one is turning out to be.

Also your Supersize Application is being reviewed.

Overall I like this theme, and look forward to see how this will develop.

Re: All Your Base Are Belong To Us[17.Aug.11]-V7p1&5-DraftSt

Postby DiM on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm

wow a sticky. that's great. i'm deeply honoured.

how about these facts:

1. the map looks better than some quenched maps so it clearly meets the crude draft standard required for a draft stamp
2. the map has had plenty of updates. much more than the 2 required from new map makers
3. the map has more interest than some maps that already are in the main foundry.

oh yeah, but i have a sticky. great.

and you say my supersize application is being reviewed. wow what's there to review? it's either approved or it's not. i mentioned from the start of the topic i will need a supersize map and that was 7 days ago. if that doesn't count, i was also the first one to use the supersize thread and make a request which was more than 4 days ago. i find it hard to understand how 4 days aren't enough to make a decision.

so please unsticky this and box/bin/vacation it.
i'm tired of seeing so much crap and indifference in this foundry, especially from persons that should set an example.
and i kept wondering why the quality of maps has gone down the drain...
pff...
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:33 pm

DiM wrote:so please unsticky this and box/bin/vacation it.
i'm tired of seeing so much crap and indifference in this foundry, especially from persons that should set an example.
pff...

Come on DiM, please do not give this one up. I know it is a slow process and I would love to have a mod comment / do things daily with the threads but it seems they only pop into the foundry on mass every 2 or 3 days. You have put a lot of work into this so do not waste it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:19 am

1. the map looks better than some quenched maps so it clearly meets the crude draft standard required for a draft stamp
2. the map has had plenty of updates. much more than the 2 required from new map makers
3. the map has more interest than some maps that already are in the main foundry.

Wow you are so humble... Trust me having an attitude like this is not going to help you at all.

and you say my supersize application is being reviewed. wow what's there to review? it's either approved or it's not. i mentioned from the start of the topic i will need a supersize map and that was 7 days ago. if that doesn't count, i was also the first one to use the supersize thread and make a request which was more than 4 days ago. i find it hard to understand how 4 days aren't enough to make a decision.

so please unsticky this and box/bin/vacation it.
pff...

and wow you are so patient... I understand that the process is slow, but if you want to get a map through you have to have some persistence. It's on you to see the idea through. If you want to give up now go ahead, but it would be a shame. The map does look good, and in time I know it would be forged. However, if you'd rather throw away your efforts because you didn't receive the instant gratification you crave, knock yourself out.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 am

The Bison King wrote:

Wow you are so humble... Trust me having an attitude like this is not going to help you at all.

so you actually have the guts to dispute my 3 points? interesting.

1. so you really think that graphically speaking this map isn't sufficient to be considered at least a crude draft? would you be so kind and explain to me what exactly should a crude draft look like?
2. are you disputing the fact that i had plenty of updates? learn to count and read the rules. old map makers need just a draft while new map makers need to produce 2 updates. i have 7. i call that more than enough.
3. and yes the map has more interest than some in the main foundry. the map has more people posting here and more replies in the last week than some of the maps in the main foundry had in the last 6 months. i call that more interest.

The Bison King wrote:and wow you are so patient... I understand that the process is slow, but if you want to get a map through you have to have some persistence. It's on you to see the idea through. If you want to give up now go ahead, but it would be a shame. The map does look good, and in time I know it would be forged. However, if you'd rather throw away your efforts because you didn't receive the instant gratification you crave, knock yourself out.

the process is slow? no sh*t, it's frickin lethargic, it's in deep coma awaiting to be disconnected from the machines.
there are maps that have been in production for over an year. some even more. if a map gets quenched in 6 months i call that slow. but if a maps stays in production for over an year then clearly something is very wrong.

do YOU understand that the process is slow? do YOU intend to do something to make it faster? or are YOU just going to sit around and wait and wait and wait some more and maybe make a post or 2 every other week?

Conquer Club Divine Meteorological Condition map was sticky in the gameplay forum when it had ~5 pages and a very crude image.
Hawaii map is 8 months old, has just 4 updates and doesn;t look very good at all. not to mention it has just 7 pages of comments in all this time. and yet that's considered main foundry material, but my map doesn't even look like a draft, right?
and there are plenty more examples.
and you have the nerve to tell me this map doesn't look like a draft and doesn't have interest from the community. wow.
but why am i surprised? you're just the kind of slacker that produces an updated once a month and barely posts. you'll fit right in with the pace of the foundry.
Major DiM

Postby mr. CD on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 am

Please don't give this up DiM, it's lovely. Didn't Industrail Helix had some rl problems which slows the draft room down?
I think I heard something like that and in my opinion, rl is a good excuse for anything.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby greenoaks on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 am

point 1. the title - All Your Base Are Belong To Us feels like someone is scrapping their fingernails across a chalkboard.

point 2. there is no point 2. i am not interested in a map that sounds so bloody wrong.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:49 am

mr. CD wrote:Please don't give this up DiM, it's lovely. Didn't Industrail Helix had some rl problems which slows the draft room down?
I think I heard something like that and in my opinion, rl is a good excuse for anything.

i know IH has some health issues and i do not blame him at all. but when a CA goes away the others are supposed to fill in for him.
what happens if OliverFA goes on holiday for 2 months? we won't have any xml checks in that time frame? we won't quench any maps for 2 months?
so yes, RL is a very good and understandable excuse but only for IH, not for the other members of the Cartography team.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 am

greenoaks wrote:point 1. the title - All Your Base Are Belong To Us feels like someone is scrapping their fingernails across a chalkboard.

point 2. there is no point 2. i am not interested in a map that sounds so bloody wrong.

very intelligent argument =D>
and you insisted on posting this valuable info because..... :roll:
Major DiM

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 pm

DiM wrote:
greenoaks wrote:point 1. the title - All Your Base Are Belong To Us feels like someone is scrapping their fingernails across a chalkboard.

Clearly greenoaks is not privy to the classic meme.

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm

ironsij0287 wrote:
DiM wrote:

regardless of being privy or not, coming into a map thread posting a comment like that doesn't do any good. ok, he doesn't like the name. no problem. he can come and say that he doesn't like it, why he doesn't like it and perhaps even suggest some alternatives. then we debate on his suggestion and make a decision of changing/keeping the name. this is how constructive feedback should work.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 pm

A quick idea for the name DiM, make the title in some crazy alien language with its own letters and have the English translation a lot smaller underneath.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Perhaps you should change the title to "Somebody set up us the bomb"?

:lol:

Postby greenoaks on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm

DiM wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:
DiM wrote:

regardless of being privy or not, coming into a map thread posting a comment like that doesn't do any good. ok, he doesn't like the name. no problem. he can come and say that he doesn't like it, why he doesn't like it and perhaps even suggest some alternatives. then we debate on his suggestion and make a decision of changing/keeping the name. this is how constructive feedback should work.

i told you why i don't like it - it feels like fingernails across a chalkboard. i am a native english speaker and your title jars my core, how much clearer can i be.

the title repulses me. how can i enjoy a map when i can't bear to hear it's name.

i didn't enter this thread before now because i thought that this was a joke but this thread has gone on far too long.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Nola_Lifer on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:25 pm

greenoaks wrote:
DiM wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:
DiM wrote:

i told you why i don't like it - it feels like fingernails across a chalkboard. i am a native english speaker and your title jars my core, how much clearer can i be.

the title repulses me. how can i enjoy a map when i can't bear to hear it's name.

i didn't enter this thread before now because i thought that this was a joke but this thread has gone on far too long.

I think what DiM is saying is that if you don't like the name. What is it that you don't like about it? Also, how would you change it? Don't just say you don't like it back it up with some evidence. For example, DiM, I don't like the title because it should read All Your Bases Belong to Us, which would be correct in English.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:31 pm

greenoaks wrote:
DiM wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:
DiM wrote:

how could i possibly respond to this sample of pure brilliance?
greenoaks, you have my eternal gratitude for your invaluable feedback. your post is a great source of inspiration, a fountain of pure genius, your words make my stomach flutter with joy and you are most definitely my muse.
please grant me the honour of posting more insightful things and let me bask in your awesomeness.
humbly yours
DiM
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm

I gave you some suggestions for a title a few pages ago... if none of those work for you, I still think you can come up with something better than an old internet meme.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas