Conquer Club

Three Kingdoms of Korea [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea [4 Jul 2011]

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

Change makes a big difference. I not sure it will be a great 1 vs 1 map, but not every map needs to be that! I reserve further comment until I have played it a good deal more.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks. The main concern right now is Silla, and to a lesser extent, Tang. If either of them is still overpowered.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 am

I still think that high neutral numbers are never the answer. Gyeongju will not be used on the majority of games, and most of those neutrals will not be touched on team games....
Major Kabanellas

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 am

joriki wrote:The new legend has "it's" instead of "its".

+1

Just came in here to post the same thing! Punctuation is an art that should not be spat upon like you have, good sir! :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:22 am

Right now, it looks to make decent 1 vs 1 play. Gynonju is a definite target, but being able to dart over to Honshu, also use Ta chau both make for some competetive strategies.

The games do tend to be over quick, but that is often an advantage for 1 vs 1 play.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:41 am

Hi natty,

You have made a beautiful map her but I think it is a little to dark. I am guessing you are doing for a dark look, but I think it is a little to much. Could you brighten it up just a bit please?

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 am

gimil wrote:Hi natty,

You have made a beautiful map her but I think it is a little to dark. I am guessing you are doing for a dark look, but I think it is a little to much. Could you brighten it up just a bit please?

Cheers,
gimil

I've already brightened it a lot from what it was initially. I think the current brightness level should be at least playable, and brightening it further would make the graphics crappy.

Anyway, for the gameplay... from the few 2-player games I've played, Silla is not getting used at all, which in turn makes Tang the most powerful area. The 8 neutrals basically works as blockade for Tang...

So I'm thinking of reducing Silla to 2/3 bonus and 6 neutrals.

Additionally, I've considered adding a 3rd red junk somewhere on the map. This would add some ways to attack both Tang and Silla.

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 am

Maybe a red junk in Lelang...

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:56 am

natty_dread wrote:Maybe a red junk in Lelang...

That could work.

and what about the East margin, have you considered making a sea connection somewhere?
Major Kabanellas

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:02 am

Kabanellas wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Maybe a red junk in Lelang...

That could work.

and what about the East margin, have you considered making a sea connection somewhere?

Well, the red junk could be added there... I don't want to add too many new connections, but one red junk somewhere could be beneficial.

Now just have to figure out the optimal place for the new junk.

Maybe Donggokjeo?

I'm thinking either Donggokjeo, Salsu or Lelang.

Postby gimil on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:14 am

natty_dread wrote:
gimil wrote:Hi natty,

Cheers,
gimil

I've already brightened it a lot from what it was initially. I think the current brightness level should be at least playable, and brightening it further would make the graphics crappy.

For some reason your map looks alot brighter to me today, than it did yesterday :|

Maybe just a moment of stupidity by me.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea [15.8.2011]

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:31 am

gimil wrote:For some reason your map looks alot brighter to me today, than it did yesterday :|

Maybe just a moment of stupidity by me.

Maybe you looked at an old image... I haven't kept the 1st post up to date after beta :oops:

So anyway, I added a red junk to Donggokjeo, reduced Silla bonus to 2/3 and capital to 6 neutrals. I also reordered the side legend to the same order as the lower legend, changed "it's" to "its" and set the lower legend to the same brightness as the rest of the map (I had forgotten this previously for some odd reason).

XML file: http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/2/7/2 ... korea6.xml

Small image
Click image to enlarge.

Large image
Click image to enlarge.

If no one has any complaints, I'll ask nobodies to send these to lack shortly.

Re: Three Kingdoms of Korea [15.8.11]

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:29 pm

MUCH MUCH BETTER! I could barely see it before, I bet it was really hard for anyone who is colorblind!
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Commander62890 on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 pm

I loved the map until the recent update bumped up neutrals (especially on Qingdao and Gyeongju).

I was so happy that you had finally succeeded in creating a map with useful neutrals - ones that could be taken in 1v1s and team games. But now, Qingdao and Gyeongju are useless. This makes the Wa bonus far too important.

And please don't bump up the neutrals on Wa; just lower the others to where they were before.

I was so excited about this map... :(
Major Commander62890

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Sorry Commander, but basically everyone complained those bonuses being too easy and giving far too high a bonus too easily. They made games imbalanced and basically decided by drop.

So anyway, I'm not bumping up Wa neutrals, but I'm thinking it should be lowered back to +2 - it's purpose is not to be the most important bonus.

Also, Qingdao and Gyeongju neutrals could maybe be lowered to 4 each now that the bonuses pay off only each 3 territories.

On that notion... How about making Silla give 3 for 4 - that would differentiate it from Tang more: it would be harder to get a bonus but it would be higher in the long run...

Postby natty dread on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Actually I'll just go ahead and do all that.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/2/7/2 ... korea7.xml

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby jefjef on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:19 am

Nice map.

You putting a red junk in donggokjeo? How about donghuyeo instead. Put some importance/entry/exit up there.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 am

Historically northern Goguryeo was, at the time, not an important area - mainly nomadic tribes with little political influence. The map reflects this by having northern Goguryeo function as a not-too-important area: a resource for whoever holds Goguryeo but not as a strategical area full of action.

Donggokjeo makes more sense both thematically, and works just as well gameplay-wise... it provides an alternate route to both Silla & Tang from the central map area, making it more strategical, and alleviating some of the bottlenecks.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Postby perchorin on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:05 am

natty_dread wrote:Historically northern Goguryeo was, at the time, not an important area - mainly nomadic tribes with little political influence. The map reflects this by having northern Goguryeo function as a not-too-important area: a resource for whoever holds Goguryeo but not as a strategical area full of action.

Donggokjeo makes more sense both thematically, and works just as well gameplay-wise... it provides an alternate route to both Silla & Tang from the central map area, making it more strategical, and alleviating some of the bottlenecks.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I love how much research you've put into this! Mind sharing any of your sources?
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am

IH did most of the research. You can ask him when he returns.

Postby Commander62890 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:03 pm

natty_dread wrote:Sorry Commander, but basically everyone complained those bonuses being too easy and giving far too high a bonus too easily. They made games imbalanced and basically decided by drop.

So anyway, I'm not bumping up Wa neutrals, but I'm thinking it should be lowered back to +2 - it's purpose is not to be the most important bonus.

Also, Qingdao and Gyeongju neutrals could maybe be lowered to 4 each now that the bonuses pay off only each 3 territories.

On that notion... How about making Silla give 3 for 4 - that would differentiate it from Tang more: it would be harder to get a bonus but it would be higher in the long run...

Fair enough, Natty. Qingdao and Gyeongju being 4 neutrals is much better than 6 and 8... that was insane.

It's not the team game map it once was, but I understand that the previous version made Singles games difficult.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say... good luck with the map! You know I've got nothin' but love for ya, Nat. :D
Major Commander62890

Postby natty dread on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Commander62890 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Sorry Commander, but basically everyone complained those bonuses being too easy and giving far too high a bonus too easily. They made games imbalanced and basically decided by drop.

Fair enough, Natty. Qingdao and Gyeongju being 4 neutrals is much better than 6 and 8... that was insane.

It's not the team game map it once was, but I understand that the previous version made Singles games difficult.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say... good luck with the map! You know I've got nothin' but love for ya, Nat. :D

If only we could make separate maps for singles & team games... Anyway, I hope the next update works out better for teams... should be up soon.

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:06 pm

The latest update was sent to lackattack ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Great.

Anyone who wants an invite as soon as the update is up, post here.

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:37 am

Thinking back to what DiM said about the southern mountains, I wanted to give them one more shot.

Anyone think this version would be better than the current one?

Click image to enlarge.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas