When Is It OK To Bonus Monkey?

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: When Is It OK To Bonus Monkey?

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:49 am

zimmah wrote:lol omg Game 9631516

6players. 4 bonus monkeys.

are those games always like this?

that's what you get for joining public games.
stick to games with people you know and you will have a lot of fun as well as a friendly chat.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am

It appears that one of your "monkeys" won that game.
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker

Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (5)

Postby danryan on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:06 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

It doesn't mean that their play won them the game. When 4 out of 6 players use suboptimal strategy the best player usually will not win. Hence good players stay out of these type of games.
Lieutenant danryan

Medals: 152
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (14)

Postby BYUwonder11 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:10 pm

danryan wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

It doesn't mean that their play won them the game. When 4 out of 6 players use suboptimal strategy the best player usually will not win. Hence good players stay out of these type of games.

Well by definition if they're using a suboptimal strategy, then they're not GOOD players even, much less the best right? :) What you've said here though danryan is true though, gotta play your strengths and know the games where you'll be able to employ them
Major BYUwonder11

Location: Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death.
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby firsal901 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:12 am

take it if you can hold it.
Cook firsal901

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby darth emperor on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:00 am

Elmo9199 wrote:take it if you can hold it.

Correction: take if they can't (even try to) break it
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby zimmah on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:53 am

DiM wrote:

that's what you get for joining public games.
stick to games with people you know and you will have a lot of fun as well as a friendly chat.

k i'll spam you with invites then :lol:
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
Lieutenant zimmah

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Postby laughingcavalier on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:41 pm

I grew up playing escalating adjacent, usually 3-4 players & we always played for bonuses. I often wonder if I would beat my younger self.
Bonuses can help on big maps like ww2 europe or biggish unusual maps like aom even in 6-8 player games.
General laughingcavalier

Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (14)
Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby pickleofdoom on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm

BYUwonder11 wrote:
danryan wrote:....

Well by definition if they're using a suboptimal strategy, then they're not GOOD players even, much less the best right? ....

:-s
Colonel pickleofdoom

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

Postby pickleofdoom on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Its true that you get a lot of random stuff in public games. For a good quality game, probably best to avoid those games, I cannot deny it. But I do have a soft spot for them.

After all, it is also true that often the best player doesnt win in private games too. Sometimes you win because you go after someone misses a kill or you loose when you had an easy sweep but get bad dice. I tend to regard the bonus-grabbers as another random factor, like the dice. Its a bit like having adverse weather conditions in sport.
Colonel pickleofdoom

Medals: 22
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Gillipig on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:30 am

Coming from someone who's good at 4 player esc games but bad at 6 player esc games, I can tell you that being a bonus monkey is the name of the game in most 4 player esc games.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Postby firsal901 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 am

Gillipig wrote:Coming from someone who's good at 4 player esc games but bad at 6 player esc games, I can tell you that being a bonus monkey is the name of the game in most 4 player esc games.

I'd agree to that.
Cook firsal901

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 pm

laughingcavalier wrote:I grew up playing escalating adjacent, usually 3-4 players & we always played for bonuses. I often wonder if I would beat my younger self.
Bonuses can help on big maps like ww2 europe or biggish unusual maps like aom even in 6-8 player games.

But would you beat yourself now? :P :P :P

High score: 2724/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Lieutenant neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson
Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (7) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (13)

Postby danryan on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:
laughingcavalier wrote:I grew up playing escalating adjacent, usually 3-4 players & we always played for bonuses. I often wonder if I would beat my younger self.

But would you beat yourself now? :P :P :P

Not any more.

Not any less either.
Lieutenant danryan

Medals: 152
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (14)

Postby betiko on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:19 pm

i think the strategy depends not only on the number of players, but their profile.
with noobs each one is going for a continent. after you can have noobs that sit and watch each other, or that try to take out each other's bonus. so with lesser experienced players i do get a continent bonus sometimes, or I just stack and wait for them to piss each other off.
with experienced players I always play 6 players so no bonus monkeys obviously; and with3-4 experienced players i might go for a bonus cause the trades go way slower, the bonuses are easier to get cause you have more of yours per continent as well.
anyway, it all depends on the number of players and the way they play..
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Strategy