Europe Map [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europe Map [Done]

Postby Star Dust on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

lol, naming whole of ex Yugoslavia -"Croatia"

being so poorly educated in geography, author of the map must be from US.
Corporal 1st Class Star Dust

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Star Dust wrote:lol, naming whole of ex Yugoslavia -"Croatia"

being so poorly educated in geography, author of the map must be from US.

A lot of times, territories are consolidated to make them playable on a map, or a different time setting is assumed. As long as the area is close geographically, it's usually permissible on a lot of maps due to how hard it would be to put every single country or, per say, Europe, into a map.

Also, no need to be rude.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator

Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Postby Rizbot on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Who created the map? Who gave him the right to give that name to the area of Former Yugoslavia??? Please, someone correct this BIG mistake, name it Yugoslavia, or something, and don't piss off again people from those other five nations!!
Private Rizbot

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Rizbot wrote:Who created the map? Who gave him the right to give that name to the area of Former Yugoslavia??? Please, someone correct this BIG mistake, name it Yugoslavia, or something, and don't piss off again people from those other five nations!!

this map has very big geographical mistakes.
if those offend you then maybe you should try the Europa map. it has far worse graphics but it is at least an accurate representation of modern europe.

but i would personally recommend Europe 1914 map. it has great gameplay and better graphics than the other europe maps and the accuracy is excellent (according to 1914 borders)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re:

Postby Spartacus21C on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 pm

jasnostj wrote:Okay then, time for me, as a Dutchman, to complain about Benelux being called Belgium. Belgium has 10 million inhabitants (on 30.000 km2), against 16 million (on 41.000 km2) in the Netherlands. Just call it Benelux, and the problem is solved.

Names in Russia are not too accurate either (except for Arkhangelsk). I would say:
- St. Petersburg = Karelia
- Moscow = Western Russia
- Western Russia = Caucasus
- Northwestern Russia = Komi

And I don't think people in Lebanon and Jordan will be too happy to be called Israel, not to mention the Palestinians (the state of Israel comprises about 15% of the total area that is called Israel on this map, and less than one third of the total population). I don't think I have to explain anyone how sensitive these matters are over there... (Southern) Levant would be the most neutral name for this region.

And Slovakia is ofcourse former Czechoslovakia, an area inhabited by about twice as many Czechs as there are Slovaks.

And finally, you've got to be kidding me to call Poland, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine etc. part of 'Germany'! When you make flagrant mistakes like that, don't blame people for criticizing after quenching (=publication!). All you cartographers are ignorant, or what? (I know the answer to that question)

Quoted for truth.
Cook Spartacus21C

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:19 am

jasnostj wrote:I´ll post the list again, maybe it helps...

Germany = Central Europe
Slovakia = Czechoslovakia
The West = Western Europe
Belgium = Benelux
Mediterranea = Southern Europe
Croatia = Yugoslavia
Sardinia = Corsica & Sardinia

Scandinavia = Northern Europe
Estonia = Latvia & Estonia (or Baltics, if 2 words don't fit on the map, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltics#Et ... f_the_term)
Saint Petersburg = Karelia
Africa = Northern Africa
The Near East = Middle East
Arabia = Saudi (Arabia)
Israel = (Southern) Levant
(includes Jordan, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Levant)
Eastern Turkey = Eastern Anatolia (includes Georgia and Armenia)
Western Russia = European Russia
Moscow = Western Russia
Northwestern Russia = Komi
Western Russia = Caucasus

No changes to the graphics or gameplay have been suggested, except for the mountain graphics.

People have been asking for a revamp for this map for years...

Why has it never been done I wonder?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I've just been playing a game on this map.

It brings back memories of when I was first getting into CC.

But it's a map which I feel would particularly benefit from a touchup.

As noted above, there are several geographical inconsistencies which could be resolved quite easily. Some borders are unclear (and essentially non-existent between Italy and Albania), and there are a few other things I'd improve.

If I demonstrated an updated image which is based on - and very loyal to - the current design, would you [cartographers] consider putting it through the process again?

That's not to say that I should necessarily be the one to revamp it...I'd just like to show that it can be improved without making critical changes.
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby mla_srbin on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:04 am

WHERE IS SERBIA YOU DUMP ???
Private 1st Class mla_srbin

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:00 pm

mla_srbin wrote:WHERE IS SERBIA YOU DUMP ???

Before getting violent and calling everyone names, maybe you should check the more recent Europe map.
Major Gilligan
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 190
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (29) Clan Achievement (7) Challenge Achievement (3)

Previous

Return to The Atlas