New Jersey [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Jersey

Postby chaos32679 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 am

this is really really rough, but you get the idea... better?

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant chaos32679

Medals: 66
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (22)

Postby Anthrax821 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:59 pm

dukasaur...another jersey-ite?
Lieutenant Anthrax821

Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Why Jersey? Lets see...

+ The first baseball game was played in Hoboken
+ The first intercollegiate football game was played in New Brunswick, in 1869. Rutgers College played Princeton. Rutgers won
+The first Drive-In Movie theatre was opened in Camden
+Modern paleontology, the science of studying dinosaur fossils, began in 1858 with the discovery of the first nearly complete skeleton of a dinosaur in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
+The first Indian reservation was in New Jersey.
+New Jersey is a leading industrial state and is the largest chemical producing state in the nation.
+New Jersey is a major seaport state with the largest seaport in the U.S. located in Elizabeth.
+Passaic river was the site to the first submarine ride by inventor John P. Holland.
+New Jersey has the most dense system of highways and railroads in the U.S.
+New Jersey is the only state where all its counties are classified as metropolitan areas.
+New Jersey has the highest population density in the U.S. An average 1,030 people per sq. mi., which is 13 times the national average.

And my personal favorite...

+The light bulb, phonograph (record player), motion picture projector were invented by Thomas Edison in his Menlo Park laboratory.

great, factor this awesomeness into the map somehow
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby jcarter1 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 pm

good map - lets keep working on it

what i dont like about those road maps is that most of the roads are way too long usually.. like here: if you hold the complete yellow or blue highway, chances are you might have won the game anyways by now and dont need that bonus anymore... the games here will probably be decided in the upper part of the map (depending on your regional bonus structure).
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Training Achievement (3)

Postby chaos32679 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:02 pm

true. i don't like the roads at all to be honest, i like my original design, but apparently i was the only one, lol. The roads are tough, north jersey is heavily populated, and since its near NYC, most of the states major arteries are near there, south jersey is a bit more empty...
Lieutenant chaos32679

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (1)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:20 pm

I support this map also. Jersey has a culture all it's own (no, not talking about snookie). I mean at this point in CC, it's a map free-for-all, so I don't see why anyone should road-block this map.

I would consider some sort of atlantic city bonus. Or maybe, as cliche as it is, a jersey shore/seaside/boardwalk area.

I also urge you to really look at some tutorials via google search or cartographersguild.com. If you are dedicated to this map, expect to be in it for a solid year. Things move slow around here, but the payoff is great. Having people play on your map is a great feeling. Plus it's a personal achievement. And you may get hooked and find a fun new hobby.

I'll follow your progress, I spent several years living in the Atlantic Highlands (Monmouth County). Commuting on the parkway and paying those damn tolls. If you need graphical advice, hit me up.

(edit) what graphic software are you using?
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby Anthrax821 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:20 pm

atlantic highlands huh? I lived in middletown ("north middletown", wet side, formerly east keansburg) for my HS years and some in college.

ha! and surprisingly enough I also lived in SC too...two years Myrtle Beach....
Lieutenant Anthrax821

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby squishyg on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Yay, love this idea! Jersey represent!!!!!

Some fun things you could add graphically and perhaps incorporate into bonuses:
Malls (especially in Bergen County)
grease trucks in the Rutgers/New Brunswick area
Music notes in Hoboken, Newark, Asbury Park, and Sayreville areas
Surfboards or something down the shore
A jersey tomato in the farmlands
A roller coaster in the Jackson area
A courthouse or capitol building in the Trenton area

You could go crazy with Weird NJ stuff-the Jersey Devil, the Pine Barrens, the midget and albino villages, Tilly, etc.
Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby Anthrax821 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:05 am

i think weird NJ should have a map all of its own...maybe for halloween?
Lieutenant Anthrax821

Postby chaos32679 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Ok, i broke it down into 6 regions. Once this is acceptable, i'm planning on breaking each region into a bunch of towns/cities.

Also, in addition to the region bonus's, i was thinking 4 autodeploys...

Atlantic City
Trenton (capital)
Newark (airport)
Elizabeth (seaport)

Anyway, let me know what you guys think, like to get some approval before moving forward....

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant chaos32679

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm

This looks like a solid base to me. Please remember the restriction for small maps: 600px height or you will have to go supersize.
Major sannemanrobinson

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Also, you should start from the large map. It's way easier to resize from large to small than the other way around.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby chaos32679 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:09 pm

OK, here's the large 800H x 840W. 33 regions in total, 6 bonus areas. Let me know what you think...

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant chaos32679

Postby squishyg on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:42 pm

As a devout New Jerseyan, it drives me a little nuts to see so many prominent towns left off the map (Hackensack, Paramus, Hoboken, East Rutherford, Holmdel, Wayne, Union, etc...), but I like the auto deploys.

Why did you go away from making the bonuses the counties?
Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1) General Contribution (4)

Postby chaos32679 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:58 pm

squishyg wrote:As a devout New Jerseyan, it drives me a little nuts to see so many prominent towns left off the map (Hackensack, Paramus, Hoboken, East Rutherford, Holmdel, Wayne, Union, etc...), but I like the auto deploys.

Why did you go away from making the bonuses the counties?

I tried to get in everything i could, but it was getting a little cluttered, lol...

That is also why i combined a few counties into 1 region, if i tried to break down 21 counties into 3 or so towns/cities within each, it would never fit.
Lieutenant chaos32679

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas