Conquer Club

USA 2.1 [10 Mar 2013] Beta Baby!!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mega USA Map [30 Aug 2011] V2 pg 1

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:29 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:I'm for this project but please, please make the states shapes more geographically accurate. Also a graphical overhaul from the original map pack theme would be nice too.

What is wrong with making the shapes of the states not so accurate? Anyways, I added a few more states and interstates to this version Almost done! Still have to do New England, and place on all the other roads between the other cities

I understand they're not going to be perfect because some states have to be stretched to fit the cities, but Iowa, Illinois look horrible. Alabama looks pretty bad too.
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Re: Mega USA Map [31 Aug 2011] V3 pg 2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Yay! Ohio! :D Just don't forget 70 :P

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 am

Is this version you're posting the small or the large image? Because I don't think it has much room to be shrank... (or is it shrunk? shrinked?)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:24 am

ironsij0287 wrote:I understand they're not going to be perfect because some states have to be stretched to fit the cities, but Iowa, Illinois look horrible. Alabama looks pretty bad too.

Yes well, I'll get around to them after I get everything on it, like the background picture, all 68 or so bonuses. Good thing this is all vector based, as it will be really easy to change things around.

natty_dread wrote:Is this version you're posting the small or the large image? Because I don't think it has much room to be shrank... (or is it shrunk? shrinked?)

Hmmm .... me thinks me forgot to mention that. This the small version as I am doing it all as a vector image, then when done I will be upscaling to the large. With a map of this magnitude, this is the best way.

Victor Sullivan wrote:Yay! Ohio! :D Just don't forget 70 :P

-Sully

It'll get in there! But not until next week. I will be home today, so there won't be another update until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:41 am

It's looking great already!!!!! =D> =D>
Major Kabanellas

Postby ironsij0287 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:19 am

I'll be curious to see how you connect states that border states from other maps.

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:26 am

ironsij0287 wrote:I'll be curious to see how you connect states that border states from other maps.

The interstate system and back roads as already shown.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 am

isaiah40 wrote:
ironsij0287 wrote:I'll be curious to see how you connect states that border states from other maps.

Would that not throw out the current bonuses, as you are adding connections to some territs and not others?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:

Would that not throw out the current bonuses, as you are adding connections to some territs and not others?

Yes and no. I'm going to try and keep the current connections the way they are with the odd exception. Of course the interstate system will have an affect on the bonuses, but I don't believe by much.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 am

Obvious stamp, considering that's impossible to develope this one without going supersize!

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:54 am

Yay! First non-let's-all-laugh-at-Sully-because-he-thought-there-was-an-image-when-there-actually-wasn't SuperSize stamp! :D

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:52 am

This looks like one hell of a map, best of luck getting it done!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 am

Okay, so I finished adding in the states, as well as the main interstates.

Still need to do the minor roads and get a background for the background area and for the states.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Mega USA Map [5 Sept 2011] V4 pg 3

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:01 am

Looks like a lot of fun.
However, I fear that trying to list all of the bonuses will make this massively confusing and tedious to play. If you want to have a bonus for each state (normal continent-style), it might be worth considering colour-coding the states in the same manner as bonuses are portrayed on the Hive map. Unless you have a solid "+X for every state held". That makes me think of the bonus structure on 13 Colonies, actually. "+X for A states held", "+Y for B states held".

And so on.
Colonel ManBungalow

Re: Mega USA Map [5 Sept 2011] V4 pg

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:13 am

Holy F**K, that is massive. =D> This is going to be so much fun. :D Just hope is does not come up to many times as 1v1 random map. :lol: And I am not going to join the Beta tournies for this unless they are more than 4 players. ;)

With the bonuses, I hope you are going to copy over from the smaller maps with the styles, just tweeking the amounts as routes have changed.

Back ground, well for the ultimate USA map, only the flag will do. All other images that come to mind and you will end up with lots of debate on why that over this. You could also add images of some of the more famous presidents.

How does it look covered in 88's?
Will you be doing the same things with the states as in the smaller versions, little images running through them?
Where is D.C. from the great lakes map?
Any luck with Alaska?
Have fun getting this all in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Mega USA Map [5 Sept 2011] V4 pg

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 am

koontz1973 wrote:Holy F**K, that is massive. =D> This is going to be so much fun. :D Just hope is does not come up to many times as 1v1 random map. :lol: And I am not going to join the Beta tournies for this unless they are more than 4 players. ;)

With the bonuses, I hope you are going to copy over from the smaller maps with the styles, just tweeking the amounts as routes have changed.

Back ground, well for the ultimate USA map, only the flag will do. All other images that come to mind and you will end up with lots of debate on why that over this. You could also add images of some of the more famous presidents.

How does it look covered in 88's?
Will you be doing the same things with the states as in the smaller versions, little images running through them?
Where is D.C. from the great lakes map?
Any luck with Alaska?
Have fun getting this all in.

And this is just the small! :lol: My goal is to try and keep the same general theme and graphical look as possible from WM's map pack. I may need to move some things around to get them to show in some of the states, but it'll get done.

88's will wait until I get things organized a bit more. DC will be in there, just need to get the image from WM. Alaska and Hawaii wil have to wait until I get all the bonuses on to make sure I have the room.

ManBungalow wrote:Looks like a lot of fun.
However, I fear that trying to list all of the bonuses will make this massively confusing and tedious to play. If you want to have a bonus for each state (normal continent-style), it might be worth considering colour-coding the states in the same manner as bonuses are portrayed on the Hive map. Unless you have a solid "+X for every state held". That makes me think of the bonus structure on 13 Colonies, actually. "+X for A states held", "+Y for B states held".

And so on.

As mentioned above, I'm going to have the bonuses the same as the original map pack with the exception of a few where there are extra connections due to the interstates running through them.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Sorry isaiah40. But I don't think it is going to work, now that I have seen the full map. Once you start putting army numbers on areas New England this map is going to be more difficult to follow than quantum mechanics while on LSD.

The idea has my support but in its current state it simply can't be done, as far as I can see. you have 1000+ pixel wide on the small. Is it justifiable to push that supersize any further?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 pm

gimil wrote:Sorry isaiah40. But I don't think it is going to work, now that I have seen the full map. Once you start putting army numbers on areas New England this map is going to be more difficult to follow than quantum mechanics while on LSD.

The idea has my support but in its current state it simply can't be done, as far as I can see. you have 1000+ pixel wide on the small. Is it justifiable to push that supersize any further?

It's sitting at 1077 wide right now, which is 77 over the max. I'm still playing around with it to make it work.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:41 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
gimil wrote:Sorry isaiah40. But I don't think it is going to work, now that I have seen the full map. Once you start putting army numbers on areas New England this map is going to be more difficult to follow than quantum mechanics while on LSD.

It's sitting at 1077 wide right now, which is 77 over the max. I'm still playing around with it to make it work.

Well, you could adjust the New England "tail" to more upward than outward, if that makes sense.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:41 pm

This is a great idea and I love it. My request is simple. Can we please use the actual shapes of the states rather that these strange illustrator objects that slightly resemble the geographic forms?

other than that A+

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm

The Bison King wrote:This is a great idea and I love it. My request is simple. Can we please use the actual shapes of the states rather that these strange illustrator objects that slightly resemble the geographic forms?

other than that A+

It will be done as soon as I can get the territory spacing worked out to fit the 888's. I have to twist, move and twist some more to get this to work. It will take me a few days to make sure this is within the supersize restrictions.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ironsij0287 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 am

I think I'm leaning more toward this side now. The concept is great but I feel like trying to keep everything from the original 6 maps is causing map elements to be forced in when they don't quite fit.

While it wouldn't be a true representation of the original 6 I think a complete re-working of the USA map with modified cities and connections could be great. This would also allow for keeping the shape/size of the states a little truer to their form.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 am

ironsij0287 wrote:

I think I'm leaning more toward this side now. The concept is great but I feel like trying to keep everything from the original 6 maps is causing map elements to be forced in when they don't quite fit.

While it wouldn't be a true representation of the original 6 I think a complete re-working of the USA map with modified cities and connections could be great. This would also allow for keeping the shape/size of the states a little truer to their form.

If the map needs to be simplified, why not take out the highways. One less headache over the bonus system and more room is then achieved by have normal connection lines.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Okay, this is how things are going to work. The first and most important thing is to make sure that everything will fit on the small to include the army numbers. So I will be moving the states around, expanding where necessary etc. I will not worry about the shape of the states until graphics as they do not affect gameplay in any way. The object is to make sure that the numbers fit without any overlapping of other numbers and territory names. This is a map that it is imperative that I do the small first, no sense in getting all the way to graphics only to find out that it won't work, so I will be staying here in the Drafting Room for a bit. I should have an update towards Saturday this week.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:13 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Okay, this is how things are going to work. The first and most important thing is to make sure that everything will fit on the small to include the army numbers. So I will be moving the states around, expanding where necessary etc. I will not worry about the shape of the states until graphics as they do not affect gameplay in any way. The object is to make sure that the numbers fit without any overlapping of other numbers and territory names. This is a map that it is imperative that I do the small first, no sense in getting all the way to graphics only to find out that it won't work, so I will be staying here in the Drafting Room for a bit. I should have an update towards Saturday this week.

Cool I look forward to seeing the update!

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas