Conquer Club

CC is declining again!

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Is CC Declining?

Postby Pirlo on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I think it's more interesting to have more people. at least games will fill faster. but the most thing I'm concerned of is the very high turnover of newcomers. if 2 out 5 newcomers would accept the fact that they have to wait one day to take the next turn, there's a big chance they will change mind and quit when they are put in a game with other 3 newcomers who choose to not come back again. why? because those 2 will have to wait days rather than hours until the leaving three deadbeat.
Captain Pirlo

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Symmetry wrote:
iamkoolerthanu wrote:But it's not like adding new features takes away from the risk aspect. You can still play classic map, esc spoils, no fog, etc... You can play classic settings, that is still an option. But if all they had was the classic settings, and only a few 'basic' maps, I bet you 75 percent of the CC population would get bored and leave much sooner than they leave now.. Sure you might get a few more people to join, but when people leave twice as fast as they are coming in, is it really worth it?

I think you're right, and that basically it comes down to how the site caters to new members vs how the site caters to established members. Attracting people to the site isn't enough if they won't stay.

CC seems to lack effective marketing in order to increase its growth. Why? I don't think they know what they're doing, OR they don't care, or maybe they're satisfied with the status quo, but have no idea what the long-term looks like.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 pm

ljex wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
assassin07 wrote:I feel that it is

I disagree. Sure while some have left, there is new blood flowing in. The 1st page is harder to get on than ever. This is a game where people can only play so long before they tire of it. With that said, CC is still fine even with a slight summer decline in people. It will start picking up again soon.

finally reconsidering your earlier statements that by like 6 months ago we would see majors on the front page again?

6 months ago it surely seemed like it. We were 30 points away I think? Now not even close.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
iamkoolerthanu wrote:But it's not like adding new features takes away from the risk aspect. You can still play classic map, esc spoils, no fog, etc... You can play classic settings, that is still an option. But if all they had was the classic settings, and only a few 'basic' maps, I bet you 75 percent of the CC population would get bored and leave much sooner than they leave now.. Sure you might get a few more people to join, but when people leave twice as fast as they are coming in, is it really worth it?

I think you're right, and that basically it comes down to how the site caters to new members vs how the site caters to established members. Attracting people to the site isn't enough if they won't stay.

CC seems to lack effective marketing in order to increase its growth. Why? I don't think they know what they're doing, OR they don't care, or maybe they're satisfied with the status quo, but have no idea what the long-term looks like.

I feel like I remember some Team CC member saying lack doesn't like doing advertising.

I agree with PLAYER though. CC needs to expand the base of its foundation. I'm not really sure how it can be done, but like I said in the other thread, there are just so many people who like playing RISK.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

http://apexwebgaming.com/news2/70246464/Interview-with-Developer-Lackattack

Lack sure makes it seem here that he wants to improve the site and attract more people but actions speak louder than words I guess.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:57 am

patrickaa317 wrote:http://apexwebgaming.com/news2/70246464/Interview-with-Developer-Lackattack

Lack sure makes it seem here that he wants to improve the site and attract more people but actions speak louder than words I guess.

Q: What was it like working full-time at a job, and then working on Conquer Club as a hobby?

It was so much fun, I felt like I had a double life - a programmer at McGill University's IT department by day and Webmaster of Conquer Club at night!

>a programmer at McGill University's IT department by day and Webmaster of Conquer Club at night!

>McGill University

I knew it! McGill University invented ConquerClub circa 2005!!! OH MOMENTOUS JOY< THE DEPTHS OF MY HEARTS HAVE UNRAVELED AND ARE NOW BLEEDING EVERYWHERE!! AHHHH!!! AGGHGH!!!!!!1
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:59 am

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

I feel like I remember some Team CC member saying lack doesn't like doing advertising.

I agree with PLAYER though. CC needs to expand the base of its foundation. I'm not really sure how it can be done, but like I said in the other thread, there are just so many people who like playing RISK.

Marketing doesn't only entail advertising, but I think the main obstacle is that it's difficult to find and trust a marketing agency that would serve CC's purposes.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby JoshyBoy on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 am

Yes.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
patrickaa317 wrote:http://apexwebgaming.com/news2/70246464/Interview-with-Developer-Lackattack

Q: What was it like working full-time at a job, and then working on Conquer Club as a hobby?

It was so much fun, I felt like I had a double life - a programmer at McGill University's IT department by day and Webmaster of Conquer Club at night!

>a programmer at McGill University's IT department by day and Webmaster of Conquer Club at night!

>McGill University

I knew it! McGill University invented ConquerClub circa 2005!!! OH MOMENTOUS JOY< THE DEPTHS OF MY HEARTS HAVE UNRAVELED AND ARE NOW BLEEDING EVERYWHERE!! AHHHH!!! AGGHGH!!!!!!1

Yes, Conquer Club was created at McGill University in 2006.
Captain Gilligan

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:12 pm

Gilligan wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

>McGill University

Yes, Conquer Club was created at McGill University in 2006.

I'm afraid that your interruption of the ancient texts is incorrect.

Nothing can be created at McGill University because nothing is passive about McGill University.

As we all know, McGill University only invents in the active tense, but I'll grant you five points for that 2006 date.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:55 pm

That interview is almost a straight copy from the CC newsletter from December 2010: viewtopic.php?f=430&t=133910
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Trevor33 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 pm

I've been on this site from the beginning, Ok I've taken a few long breaks (there's only so much risk you can play and i travel a lot) but I'm still here I think that says a lot about the site. Of course there is going to come a stage when the site peaks and declines a bit, it's completely natural in at online gaming site, it's a fickle world and nothing lasts forever. I think the site programmers can be proud of what they've achieved in the past soon to be 6 years.
Major Trevor33

Postby chapcrap on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:57 pm

trevor33 wrote:I've been on this site from the beginning, Ok I've taken a few long breaks (there's only so much risk you can play and i travel a lot) but I'm still here I think that says a lot about the site. Of course there is going to come a stage when the site peaks and declines a bit, it's completely natural in at online gaming site, it's a fickle world and nothing lasts forever. I think the site programmers can be proud of what they've achieved in the past soon to be 6 years.

There is no denying that the many of us who are in the forums and play, love playing or we wouldn't be here. We wouldn't be taking the time to try to make it better. We're just questioning whether or not CC is declining, which is a real question given some of the stats I've seen. While 18,000-20,000 players is quite a few, it should still be growing in my estimation. Something being used worldwide can be considered pretty small if only used by this few of people.

One 5-10 second commercial during a sporting event would be phenomenal. Just the hits and word of mouth from there would be amazing.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Woodruff on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm

If, as that interview claims, this site is lackattack's full-time job...he's an abject failure.

That's not a statement about the site as it currently stands so much as a statement about what would appear to be the serious lack of working on it.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Pirlo on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:09 am

trevor33 wrote:I've been on this site from the beginning, Ok I've taken a few long breaks (there's only so much risk you can play and i travel a lot) but I'm still here I think that says a lot about the site. Of course there is going to come a stage when the site peaks and declines a bit, it's completely natural in at online gaming site, it's a fickle world and nothing lasts forever. I think the site programmers can be proud of what they've achieved in the past soon to be 6 years.

I dun think it's normal to peak then decline. I work as a web editor, and I also run my own site; as far as I can tell, declining is not acceptable.
Captain Pirlo

Postby Pirlo on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:10 am

Woodruff wrote:

If, as that interview claims, this site is lackattack's full-time job...he's an abject failure.

That's not a statement about the site as it currently stands so much as a statement about what would appear to be the serious lack of working on it.

I heard once that laclattack is here only once per fortnight.
Captain Pirlo

Postby Trevor33 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:55 am

Pirlo wrote:

I dun think it's normal to peak then decline. I work as a web editor, and I also run my own site; as far as I can tell, declining is not acceptable.

Of course it's normal to peck and decline. Especially in the online gaming world, CC should be happy it has gotten this successful but with the countless other gaming site available online it's always going to be matter of time before people move on or the new crop of gamers find something else entertain them. It's impossible to keep growing.
Major Trevor33

Postby Woodruff on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:17 am

trevor33 wrote:
Pirlo wrote:

Of course it's normal to peck and decline. Especially in the online gaming world, CC should be happy it has gotten this successful but with the countless other gaming site available online it's always going to be matter of time before people move on or the new crop of gamers find something else entertain them. It's impossible to keep growing.

I would have to strongly disagree with that. Growth happens by meeting the needs of the community (both current and future). Growth SHOULD BE EXPECTED (given the proper attention and effort to keep it going) in the online gaming world, in my opinion.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:44 am

Just quickly....CC itself is not his fulltime job. He has several other websites he runs. All of those combined make his full time job
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:09 pm

lord voldemort wrote:Just quickly....CC itself is not his fulltime job. He has several other websites he runs. All of those combined make his full time job

All the more reason for him to outsource his responsibilities to others in order to maximize profits here, but that's a huge decision. Maybe he's been putting it off for awhile because the status quo for him is acceptable enough.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby BYUwonder11 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 pm

This site is by far the best site for RISK online, been to others and they suck. CC isn't going anywhere for a long time, even if he has hit a few lulls off and on
Major BYUwonder11

Location: Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death.

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 pm

That one by... WM and mibi (is that right?) looked like it could be pretty good. They've been in beta forever though I feel like... still can't get in.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Janomike on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 am

I'm new to the game, i love it and i will definately try to get some of my friends to play it!

Do the same and the game will start growing again :)
Brigadier Janomike

Postby emelar on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:05 am

grifftron wrote:Well its still up and running, so I am guessing lack is still making that green!

And is entitled to it (my being freemium, notwithstanding). I love the site and get a lot out of it.
Lieutenant emelar

Postby mibi on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:20 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:That one by... WM and mibi (is that right?) looked like it could be pretty good. They've been in beta forever though I feel like... still can't get in.

We are public now, tho still in almost-out-of-beta. but anyone can join. Also, currently 1/4 the size of CC. :shock:
Last edited by mibi on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain mibi

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion