Round Limits

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Round Limits

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 am

FINALLY...

...a real update!
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Tournament Contribution (17)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Frito Bandito on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 am

Very Cool... will clear off the endless matches
Lieutenant Frito Bandito

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)
Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby sonicsteve on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 am

brilliant - this is a great move
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (4)

Postby swimmerdude99 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 am

I'm a fan :D

High Score: 2992
Major swimmerdude99

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby bedub1 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

Gilligan wrote:
clapper011 wrote:so can this be applied to past games still running????? O:)

NO

Damnit I was thinking it should be applied to game 1000001
Colonel bedub1

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby denominator on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:21 pm

For the most part, I am a fan of this update.

I can see one major consequence - it encourages players to do nothing, especially in a No Spoils game. Odds are that when you're attacking, you're bound to lose at least one troop and since the win condition is based on troop count, the most effective strategy with a round limit is simply going to be to stack your troops. I can see games where nobody does anything for 19 rounds, then the player that happens to have the luck of last turn wins by knocking everyone else down in troop count.

That being said, I think it's a great addition, notably for tournaments and speed games. It should increase Flat Rate and No Spoils games in both sections. I just won't play it much unless/until my above concern is proven moot.
Major denominator

Medals: 69
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (4)
Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby ricthefirst on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Love the update!
it's going to be much better playing on 2.1 with a 50 round limit
Corporal 1st Class ricthefirst

Medals: 14
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby eagleblade on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:27 pm

yes but then you cant join games that DO have limits

Army of GOD wrote:
eagleblade22 wrote:i think there should be an option when choose a map like "doesnt matter" or something

lackattack wrote:Presenting... Round Limits!

The possile values for this new game option are None, 20 Rounds, 50 Rounds or 100 Rounds.

With round limits, the game will automatically finish at the end of the specified round. The winner will be the surviving player with the most troops. If there is a tie, it will be broken based on the most regions. If there is still a tie, the winner is selected based on join order. This option is great for avoiding stalemates on no spoils games and can add some spice to the game as the deadline approaches, forcing the big guys to fight it out and giving the little guys a chance!

Thanks to steelplayin for suggesting this!

Enjoy :mrgreen:

You don't HAVE to havea limit.
Lieutenant eagleblade

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Chariot of Fire on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 pm

eagleblade22 wrote:yes but then you cant join games that DO have limits

Army of GOD wrote:
eagleblade22 wrote:i think there should be an option when choose a map like "doesnt matter" or something

lackattack wrote:Presenting... Round Limits!

The possile values for this new game option are None, 20 Rounds, 50 Rounds or 100 Rounds.

With round limits, the game will automatically finish at the end of the specified round. The winner will be the surviving player with the most troops. If there is a tie, it will be broken based on the most regions. If there is still a tie, the winner is selected based on join order. This option is great for avoiding stalemates on no spoils games and can add some spice to the game as the deadline approaches, forcing the big guys to fight it out and giving the little guys a chance!

Thanks to steelplayin for suggesting this!

Enjoy :mrgreen:

You don't HAVE to havea limit.

??? Bald Eagle speak with forked tongue. His smoke signal get garbled. Game choices are many. Pick which you like. Set up what you like.
Highest position #5 (18 Nov 2010) General 4,380pts (11 Dec 2010)
General Chariot of Fire

Medals: 89
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (21) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (25)

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 pm

I can happily inform you that the round limit worked for me in a speed game.

:D
Lieutenant Teflon Kris

Medals: 171
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:40 am

callmecommander wrote:I kinda liked the draw idea to some extent, maybe splitting the points?

If troop numbers are equal it is somewhat arbitrary that the game creatoir wins, surely we can have a draw in this situation (no points for anyone)?

It would create an interesting last round if the player(s) going last were the weaker players on the board, they would play to deplete the stronger players so they have equal troop numbers. :o
Lieutenant Teflon Kris

Medals: 171
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby lackattack on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 am

DJ Teflon wrote:If troop numbers are equal it is somewhat arbitrary that the game creatoir wins, surely we can have a draw in this situation (no points for anyone)?

Well, if all players deadbeat at the same round, they are processed in join order and the last player to join wins. As you will see in my next update, we need to always have a winner...
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Tupence on Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 am

If someone misses a turn in the last round of a 20-round game for example, will their deferred troops count towards their troop total?
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) Tournament Contribution (20) General Contribution (2)

Postby lackattack on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:04 pm

No, it uses the troup count from in-game stats
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby clapper011 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 pm

lackattack wrote:No, it uses the troup count from in-game stats

so is that a no to my question? lol 8-[
Sergeant clapper011

Medals: 87
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (4) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (7)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (14)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives