[Abandoned] - Gettysburg

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 8 pg 6

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks for the stamp!

lostatlimbo wrote:...why are there so many canons? Re-using the same graphic suggests that it is part of the gameplay, but they seem to only exist for decoration. If that is the case, perhaps you should alter the canons with muskets or structures from the period.

Great suggestion. It's on to google image search for me!

lostatlimbo wrote:Lastly, the font you've chosen for territory names looks really choppy to me.

I've allowed this to happen on purpose. I think it makes the typesetting look handmade and old. It's not a result of any anti-alias setting. It occurs when you rotate the type a tiny fraction of a degree. I'll fix the worst of them.
Major Minister X

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:30 am

MarshalNey wrote: I'd say get cracking but you already work at such a pace that makes me dizzy ;)

-- Marshal Ney

:D So tell me what size the small map should be so I can get to working!
Major Minister X

Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 am

Minister X wrote:
MarshalNey wrote: I'd say get cracking but you already work at such a pace that makes me dizzy ;)

-- Marshal Ney

:D So tell me what size the small map should be so I can get to working!

Try the max small size (630x600) first. It should good at that size.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Congrats on your stamp!

Minister X wrote:I've allowed this to happen on purpose. I think it makes the typesetting look handmade and old. It's not a result of any anti-alias setting. It occurs when you rotate the type a tiny fraction of a degree. I'll fix the worst of them.

In that case, I would suggest applying a little bit of blur or smudge to the text, so as to make it appear as if the ink blotched. Then it will look intentionally crooked, but not so sharp and crisp.

Alternatively, you might want to browse some of the free fonts here: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=107&page=1

There's some pretty good ones that already look like an old faded typeset. Some that caught my eye:
http://www.dafont.com/hotel-coral-essex.font
http://www.dafont.com/dead-kansas.font
http://www.dafont.com/wicked-grit.font
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby Minister X on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Using a free font from dafont.com might be a perfectly reasonable suggestion but my typographic roots run deep into the past, when fonts made by amateurs were as likely as not to crash your system. I own 3,297 fonts that I've purchased from reliable sources, and which I can use without restriction. I'll stick with those.

But for folks willing to take more risks than I, there sure are some fun-looking faces there!
Major Minister X

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am

I'm sure you'll be good with fonts then if you've got typographic roots.... lol

So, how about some TOPOgraphic roots? Gettysburg was won and lost on the terrain of the battlefield. The map need relief, it's great there is a territory named Cemetery Ridge... but where's the Ridge?! Add those features in and lets get this thing going!

ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Postby Minister X on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:12 am

Responding to several comments...

Draft #9 - two versions

• Type has been cleaned up everywhere.
• Small graphic "accessories" have been changed; cannon reduced to one, image of cemetery arch added, and image of struggling soldiers added. Those struggled soldiers will look familiar to philatelists. I robbed them from the US Postal Service! For the centennial of the very battle I'm mapping, the post office issued this stamp:

• The Union and Confederate bonuses bottom center were re-worded and the shading was fixed.
• The six "flank blobs" have gone from solid color to outline plus barely visible fill. This was done primarily to accommodate...
• Topography: hills and ridges. I surveyed every single CC map to see how others had depicted changes in elevation. The ONLY relevant map was Austerlitz, and cartographer pamoa made sure there was no type covering up his shadings. I don't have that luxury but I've done my best. I present two versions: one with hills and ridges depicted, and one without. I'd really appreciate some expressions of preference - which do you like best or hate least? :)

show

show
Last edited by Minister X on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Minister X

Re: Gettysburg [31/7/2011] V 9 pg 7

Postby MarshalNey on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am

The topogrophy looks better, but both look good!
Captain MarshalNey

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am

Font looks much better.

I vote for the topographic relief. Gives the map some depth and more texture.
Lieutenant lostatlimbo

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (8)

Postby Minister X on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Small version of draft #9 with topography apparent. I made quite a few changes to ensure it would be just as readable as the large version.

show
Last edited by Minister X on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Minister X

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:17 am

I think this map is coming along pretty well. The only real comment I have right now is that the deciphering the road areas on the map can be a little difficult, even with the two different connecter methods you have going.

I think it is because the dotted lines stand out much more than the solid road lines currently, and the road lines (and thus understanding the road bonuses) can get a little lost.

What if you made the road lines much darker like the dotted lines, and the dotted line color more like the current road color?

Hm, maybe one other point. The sharp edges of the Union/Confederate bonuses in the legend might be better rounded off, and maybe even less like a word document highlight and more like highlight that is less rigid and structured (for instance, the loops on the map are nice example of something less rigid).

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:37 am

All of Andy's comments are good but...
AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, maybe one other point. The sharp edges of the Union/Confederate bonuses in the legend might be better rounded off, and maybe even less like a word document highlight and more like highlight that is less rigid and structured (for instance, the loops on the map are nice example of something less rigid).

...when I had the highlight more rounded/informal I got called on it. :D
(I'll work on some alternatives)

The rest of Andy's remarks seem to apply only to the small version. True?
Major Minister X

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:00 pm

Yeah, the roads for the most part stand out pretty well on the large map.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:27 pm

I agree with Andy on all fronts. Perhaps thinning the dotted lines (having smaller, more frequent dots) may help to make the roads more apparent.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Postby Minister X on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Okay, so here's an updated small map - still considered draft #9 since I didn't change the large one. (Is that okay??) Roads thickened and dots changed from 4 pixels each to 3 - makes all the difference. (And all just 2 minutes after Sully suggested it!!) :D

show
Last edited by Minister X on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Minister X

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box