Conquer Club

[Official] Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest. WINNER

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map do you think is graphically superior?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Entry 1
2%
Entry 2
36%
Entry 3
7%
Entry 4
4%
Entry 5
7%
Entry 6
36%
Entry 7
8%

Total votes : 138

[Official] Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest. WINNER

Postby gimil on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:08 pm

And the winner is................

Entry 6 - ndrs

Click image to enlarge.

====================================================================================

And the entries are in!

We have 7 entries in (as oppose to 6 I said earlier :oops:). We have some foundry regulars as well as some new blood! You get one vote people. You all have 1 week to vote.

Good luck:

Entry 1 - Aircore
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 2 - DiM
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 3 - koontz1973
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 4 - ManBungalow
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 5 - natty_dread
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 6 - ndrs
Click image to enlarge.

Entry 7 - porkenbeans
Click image to enlarge.

====================================================================================

Ahoy fellow map makers,

Allow me to introduce the 'Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest'.

Behind the scenes some of our our other blue boys have been busy putting together the gameplay mechanics of a map purely to be used in this competition (thanks: isaiah40, iancanton and MarshalNey).

What does this mean for you? It means you get the chance to flex some creative muscle and show off your competitive side! (Isn't that something?). If I haven't already grabbed your interest maybe seeing the map will change your mind. It's no Picasso and we need talented map makers to turn this into map making gold:

Click image to enlarge.

So without further ado, here are the rules:

1. Create an awesome piece of art using the map gameplay shown above. Graphics are free game, be as innovative and crazy as you like.
2. Submit all entries via PM to me (gimil) by CC Time: 2011-10-22 20:00:00. Don't be late, or you will be denied access. (that's what she said)
3. Final substitution should be as close to Final Forge quality as possible. (Better the quality, the better your chances, eh?)
4. This is an anonymous competition, so please do not submit entries with signatures. Or again, you will be denied entry ;).

Once the entries are in a 1 week poll will be released for the public to vote on there favorite entry. Simple, whoever has the most votes, wins. (in the case that there is a large number of entries the CA's retain the right to take the top three maps through to a second round of voting).

Simply, isn't it?

As if that isn't enough there is also prizes up for grab for the winner. The competition winner will receive a General Achievement medal and once the winning map is in beta 1 years premium (courtesy of lackattack) and a lovely Map Contribution medal will be yours.

Note: The winning entry will still be required to pass public scrutiny and earn a graphics stamp in the foundry for there entry.

I encourage you all not to share your maps with others in order to preserve your anonymity in the spirit of fair competition. If you would like your map graphically reviewed in private, my inbox is always available for a chat and maps.

I can't wait to see what the foundry can produce this time!

Good luck all and happy map making.

gimil and The Boys
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Maps

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:44 am

Nice one. Will get you a map by the deadline.

I take it GMT is greenwich mean time?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Maps

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 am

koontz1973 wrote:Nice one. Will get you a map by the deadline.

I take it GMT is greenwich mean time?

It sure is. GMT, the way time is suppose to be ;).

I look forward to seeing your entry!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:12 am

ugh, wouldn't it be better to make some other kind of competition? you know, one that's actually productive?

all the gfx competitions are a waste of map maker time and talent and every time great maps and lots of hours of work are thrown away because somebody else had slightly better graphics (or he has more voting friends)
so instead, why don't you make something like a gameplay competition?
anybody (even non-mapmakers) can come up with a gameplay so it's also a great way to advertise the foundry especially if the organisers promise they'll do the graphics (if needed). also with this competition the winner gets his map done but everything else is also used. even if an idea came in 2nd or 3rd it can still make for a really good map and get done and all that work would not go to waste.

or if you really want to focus on graphics then come up with a competition that doesn't involve all the people doing the same thing and all the losers getting their work thrown away.

that being said, gl to everybody that joins.

gimil wrote:It sure is. GMT, the way time is suppose to be ;).

+1 :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:18 am

Very cool. Thanks for the time in setting this up. Not sure I'll be submitting anything for this, but good luck to everyone.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:27 am

DiM wrote:ugh, wouldn't it be better to make some other kind of competition? you know, one that's actually productive?

all the gfx competitions are a waste of map maker time and talent and every time great maps and lots of hours of work are thrown away because somebody else had slightly better graphics (or he has more voting friends)
so instead, why don't you make something like a gameplay competition?
anybody (even non-mapmakers) can come up with a gameplay so it's also a great way to advertise the foundry especially if the organisers promise they'll do the graphics (if needed). also with this competition the winner gets his map done but everything else is also used. even if an idea came in 2nd or 3rd it can still make for a really good map and get done and all that work would not go to waste.

or if you really want to focus on graphics then come up with a competition that doesn't involve all the people doing the same thing and all the losers getting their work thrown away.

that being said, gl to everybody that joins.

If people think they are a waste of time they need not enter. But these competitions usually get a good response. Therefor are not a waste of time. Even is someone doesn't win, the very art of competitiveness leads to improved quality and self development. Its only a waste of time if you enter under the opinion if it is a waste of time. ;)

I appreciate you don't approve DiM, but you don't need to bass the competition when there are others who are happy to enter.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:50 am

if people want to participate then i have nothing against it. in fact i wished them good luck.
i was merely suggesting alternative competitions where work is not lost.

think about is from a productivity perspective.

classic graphics competitions like this one get 5-6 entries. out of those 5-6 1 wins and gets to production while the others are scrapped. so that's a 15-20% productivity rate.

make a graphic competition where the authors are free to chose what they create and you'll improve the productivity.
let's say 5-6 people enter the competition. 1 guy wins and starts producing the map but some of the other entries also received a lot of votes and positive feedback so their authors can freely pursue them even if they're not winners. so let's say 3 other people except the winner get good feedback and start developing the maps. that's a 75-80% productivity rate.

and it's actually very easy to implement this. just give people a theme. let's say ancient wars, or african countries, or 18th century cartography. something to hold everything together and give a common aspect that can be judged but at the same time allowing the map makers freedom while preserving a high productivity rate.

also don't forget that the foundry is frequented by few people and this means that somebody that's a part of a clan can ask his fellow members to vote for him. getting 30-40 people to vote for you would be a rather easy task and it would win you any competition by a huge margin. while i don't really care about whoever wins i do care about the fact that all the maps that lose are automatically binned. that would never happen if what i suggest gets implemented.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:20 am

Rule me out...great timing Gimil...right in the middle of my uni exam preparation.
I would have liked to be able to participate
Also, I had understood from previous post that disappeared that this compeition was going to be about Port Moresby.
Most disappointing. :shock:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:14 pm

cairnswk wrote:Rule me out...great timing Gimil...right in the middle of my uni exam preparation.
I would have liked to be able to participate
Also, I had understood from previous post that disappeared that this compeition was going to be about Port Moresby.
Most disappointing. :shock:

Sorry for my impeccable timing cairns :(. Would of been nice to see you enter a competition.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:38 pm

btw, just out of curiosity what happens if somebody makes a map of papua new-guinea and posts it in the foundry?
what would happen to it? or to the contest?
:twisted:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:01 pm

DiM wrote:btw, just out of curiosity what happens if somebody makes a map of papua new-guinea and posts it in the foundry?

There is only one way to resolve such an issue in the foundry. Each side hire a Swedish bikini model, and we pit them against each other in a mud wrestle.

I feel in this situation there are only winners, no losers.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:06 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:btw, just out of curiosity what happens if somebody makes a map of papua new-guinea and posts it in the foundry?

There is only one way to resolve such an issue in the foundry. Each side hire a Swedish bikini model, and we pit them against each other in a mud wrestle.

I feel in this situation there are only winners, no losers.

although i would really like to see those swedish models fight each other i'd rather see them do it in oil not mud.

but seriously, aside from the oiled models wrestling to the death or at least until one loses the bra, what would actually happen if somebody posts a map of papua new-guinea later tonight, or maybe tomorrow?
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

DiM wrote:although i would really like to see those swedish models fight each other i'd rather see them do it in oil not mud.

but seriously, aside from the oiled models wrestling to the death or at least until one loses the bra, what would actually happen if somebody posts a map of papua new-guinea later tonight, or maybe tomorrow?

We shall cross that bridge when we come to it. But for anyone tempted to do such a thing just to piss me off, remember this:

Community Guidelines wrote:Don't be intentionally annoying!

Common sense prevails - if you are intentionally or continually making this community less enjoyable for others, you're going to be removed from it. It's that simple. This applies to any part of the site where interaction takes place; in Forums, Private Messages, Live Chat and Game Chat.

If you understand this one prevailing rule you can probably stop reading now, or just give everything a glance-over. If you're not sure what 'common sense prevails' means, read on for the boring details. If you don't agree with this, sayonara.

Know what I am saying ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Gimil, forgive me if i don't see any mention of it...
but does this qualify the winner to go straight through to Final Forge without having to make further grfx adjustments.
The last map that did that did not satisy some and it is still waiting in FF for the mapmaker to make adjustments.
I think you should qualify that. if you haven't done so already.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:53 pm

cairnswk wrote:Gimil, forgive me if i don't see any mention of it...
but does this qualify the winner to go straight through to Final Forge without having to make further grfx adjustments.
The last map that did that did not satisy some and it is still waiting in FF for the mapmaker to make adjustments.

The quality of entries should be as forge ready as possible, but no map in the foundry should go live without passing the public scrutiny. Everyone should be aware that despite winning this competition, a graphics stamp will still have to be earned.

I shall update the first post with this.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:54 pm

cairnswk wrote:Gimil, forgive me if i don't see any mention of it...

This has been annoying me for some time now. Will Istanbul get to be played on as is or will the problems be addressed?

As for DiM's saying a map being posted, it would have to get past the drafting stage first, and I doubt the mods would allow that unless it was radically different in gameplay. We have lots of USA maps, how about lots of PNG. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:57 pm

koontz1973 wrote:This has been annoying me for some time now. Will Istanbul get to be played on as is or will the problems be addressed?

I am afraid you are asking the wrong man, Istanbul was before my second stint as CA.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Neat-o! Nice to see another competition in the Foundry. It has been awhile.

DiM - don't be a hater, hater! Here. *Passes DiM a bottle of Jack Daniels*

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:12 pm

gimil wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:This has been annoying me for some time now. Will Istanbul get to be played on as is or will the problems be addressed?

I am afraid you are asking the wrong man, Istanbul was before my second stint as CA.

Surely though you have consulted on this?
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:

What do you mean?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:15 pm

gimil wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:

What do you mean?

I was meaning that surely you have consulted between all the CAs about the position of Istanbul.
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:19 pm

what if mibi, widowmakers, oaktown or me enter? Then it's hopeless for anyone else in the foundry.

:mrgreen:

Just kidding.
Private RjBeals

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:53 pm

RjBeals wrote:what if mibi, widowmakers, oaktown or me enter? Then it's hopeless for anyone else in the foundry.

:mrgreen:

Just kidding.

I would say "just trolling" more than kidding.....anyways never think you're arrived or a day someone could say the same thing to you.
It has happened also to Leonardo and he was the best artist in his time.
A day, a "boy" 25 years younger than him, that Leonardo despised just because this "young guy" preferred to get their hands dirty with the dust of marble instead of painting, took a brush and painted, with the same skill, one of the greatest masterpieces that we can see in Rome.
So if it happened to Leonardo, it could happen also to you.
There's always another step you can do in life, at least untill you think you're arrived.

Said that feel free to take part ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:11 pm

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:although i would really like to see those swedish models fight each other i'd rather see them do it in oil not mud.

We shall cross that bridge when we come to it. But for anyone tempted to do such a thing just to piss me off, remember this:

Community Guidelines wrote:Don't be intentionally annoying!

Common sense prevails - if you are intentionally or continually making this community less enjoyable for others, you're going to be removed from it. It's that simple. This applies to any part of the site where interaction takes place; in Forums, Private Messages, Live Chat and Game Chat.

If you understand this one prevailing rule you can probably stop reading now, or just give everything a glance-over. If you're not sure what 'common sense prevails' means, read on for the boring details. If you don't agree with this, sayonara.

Know what I am saying ;)

i seriously doubt that if somebody posts a papua new guinea map in the drafting room before this competition ends he/she will be permabanned. in fact i think permabans aren't even used anymore.

:roll:
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm

koontz1973 wrote:As for DiM's saying a map being posted, it would have to get past the drafting stage first, and I doubt the mods would allow that unless it was radically different in gameplay. We have lots of USA maps, how about lots of PNG. ;)

actually the map won't need radically different gameplay. why would it?

if i start a map of romania and 2 days later somebody else starts a map of romania with the same gameplay then there's no problem. the map that gets better support and better updates will be quenched. the other won't.

if this were an already quenched map, then yes, a new one of the same place would indeed need different gameplay. ;)
Major DiM

Next

Return to Competitions