[Official] Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest. WINNER

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map do you think is graphically superior?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Entry 1
3
2%
Entry 2
49
36%
Entry 3
9
7%
Entry 4
6
4%
Entry 5
10
7%
Entry 6
50
36%
Entry 7
11
8%
 
Total votes : 138

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm

*has no idea what others are talking about*
*feels left out*
*bursts into tears*
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby natty dread on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 pm

*is confused why people are describing what they are doing between asterisks*
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13253
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby gimil on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:gimil knows what I'm talkin' about ;)


Haters gonna hate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMyPD1VKk60
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:23 pm

Uh, Can I get a bonus border clarification?

Is Sepik: Wewak, Aitape, Amanab and Vanimo?

Also, is the Southern highlands only: Mendi, Tari, Koroba?

Thyanks in advance!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
User avatar
Cook Industrial Helix
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: California
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Just a quick thought but does Oct 22nd seem a bit soon? A full month would be better?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Major Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9505
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Just a quick thought but does Oct 22nd seem a bit soon? A full month would be better?



2 weeks for that map is more than enough.

not only you have a real region with all the general details already set but you also have a pre-made gameplay so you don't have to bother coming up with something interesting, or making borders, or even inventing names and calculating bonuses. all you have to do is draw a nice image over a pre-made draft. that's 3 hours tops if you do everything from scratch. if you take a shortcut and go for a san-francisco style map then it's an hour maximum.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Uh, Can I get a bonus border clarification?

Is Sepik: Wewak, Aitape, Amanab and Vanimo?

Also, is the Southern highlands only: Mendi, Tari, Koroba?

Thyanks in advance!


Sepik has the following territories:
    1. Wewak
    2. Aitape
    3. Amanab
    4. Vanimo
    5. Telefomin
    6. Ambunti
    7. Angoram

You are correct about the Southern Highlands.
ImageImage
show: High Score
User avatar
Lieutenant isaiah40
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Awesome, Thanks Isaiah40!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
User avatar
Cook Industrial Helix
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: California
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:04 am

DiM wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Just a quick thought but does Oct 22nd seem a bit soon? A full month would be better?



2 weeks for that map is more than enough.

not only you have a real region with all the general details already set but you also have a pre-made gameplay so you don't have to bother coming up with something interesting, or making borders, or even inventing names and calculating bonuses. all you have to do is draw a nice image over a pre-made draft. that's 3 hours tops if you do everything from scratch. if you take a shortcut and go for a san-francisco style map then it's an hour maximum.



3 hours? WOW? that is quick? I do not 3 hours would cut it. Maybe I am off?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Major Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9505
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 am

Bruceswar wrote:
DiM wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Just a quick thought but does Oct 22nd seem a bit soon? A full month would be better?



2 weeks for that map is more than enough.

not only you have a real region with all the general details already set but you also have a pre-made gameplay so you don't have to bother coming up with something interesting, or making borders, or even inventing names and calculating bonuses. all you have to do is draw a nice image over a pre-made draft. that's 3 hours tops if you do everything from scratch. if you take a shortcut and go for a san-francisco style map then it's an hour maximum.



3 hours? WOW? that is quick? I do not 3 hours would cut it. Maybe I am off?


i just woke up and barely took a shower so i'd have to eat something now and i have exactly 2h:42 minutes until i have to leave and go pick my girl from kindergarden.
so it's 15:18 now (or 3:18pm). in this time i'll try to eat (5 minutes) and make a papua new guinea map. :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 am

the map is done. and since it turned out better than i expected i'll enter it in the contest so i can't show you the image. but i'm sending gimil the image via pm and he can confirm you that it is done.
also i've taken a couple of screenshots with the timestamp to prove it. also to gimil via pm.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10386
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:20 pm

DiM wrote:the map is done. and since it turned out better than i expected i'll enter it in the contest so i can't show you the image. but i'm sending gimil the image via pm and he can confirm you that it is done.
also i've taken a couple of screenshots with the timestamp to prove it. also to gimil via pm.


He ain't lying!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby gimil on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Come on guys, only a few days left and there is plenty off room for more entries!


Good luck!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Room? What do you know about rooms, son? I wrap my room in bacon and pour Jack Daniels SAWCE all over it.

Image

-Sully
User avatar
Corporal Victor Sullivan
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
General Achievement (9) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (6)

Re: official Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:50 am

gimil wrote:
DiM wrote:the map is done. and since it turned out better than i expected i'll enter it in the contest so i can't show you the image. but i'm sending gimil the image via pm and he can confirm you that it is done.
also i've taken a couple of screenshots with the timestamp to prove it. also to gimil via pm.


He ain't lying!



All I got to say is holy shit that is fast work.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Major Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9505
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 140
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login