Conquer Club

[Vacation until Dec] Knights & Warlocks - V15 - page 1&12

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Vacation until Dec] Knights & Warlocks - V15 - page 1&12

Postby DiM on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 pm

Map Name: Knights & Warlocks
Mapmaker(s): DiM, Zimmah
Number of Territories: 105, 97 start as neutral
Special Features: bombardments, lots of neutrals, winning objectives, non-classic gameplay
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: it's awesome :)
Stamps:
ImageImage Image Image

map of neutrals:
Click image to enlarge.

large: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/KnightsWarlocks-L-1.png
Click image to enlarge.

small:http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/KnightsWarlocks-S-1.png
Click image to enlarge.

show: V15

show: V14

show: V13

show: V12

show: V11

show: V10

show: V9

show: V8

show: V7

show: V6

show: V5

show: V4

show: V3

show: V2

show: V1
Last edited by DiM on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 30 times in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Knights & Warlocks [14.Oct.11] - V1 - page 1

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:43 pm

nice so far, but very BIG ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 pm

cairnswk wrote:nice so far, but very BIG ;)

yeah i know, because it's so big my photoshop just froze and crashed and i lost a lot of what i did for the next update :(
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mr. CD on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Love it.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Re: Knights & Warlocks [14.Oct.11] - V2 - page 1

Postby DiM on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 pm

i made a second draft with forests, rivers, terits, connections, some terit names and icons, title, legend space etc. updated it in the first post.
regarding the size i honestly don't know what the supersize limits are so i just made it 1400*1200 and then i'll reduce it to fit within the guidelines.
also, despite doing all my work on a 15.6 inch laptop display i still like having a big image in front of me and most of the time i'm zoomed in at 3-400%.
Major DiM

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 am

If that is version 2. :o God only knows what this will look like at the end. Just proves that as a map maker, Dim is one of the best.

Looks bloody fantastic so far.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 am

The aesthetics of this remind me of a draft of a map someone worked on long ago, but I can't quite remember who or where it is. The only thing I remember is that it had little homes/huts on it, and it might have been mega big. Maybe it was a mibi/wm playing around map? I can't recall. Hm,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:43 am

Seems cool Dim :)

I know that's the Supersize measures.. but I think that it would be 'friendlier' if it worked the other way around, with 1200 Width x 1400 height.

anyway, seems like a epic coming ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:56 pm

This is certainly pleasing to the eye, but could be reduced to an image much smaller. In all honesty, there aren't that many regions on it, and many people - particularly those with slower machines/internet connections - will be kicking themselves when a random map throws this up, simply because of its dimensions.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:31 pm

ManBungalow wrote:This is certainly pleasing to the eye, but could be reduced to an image much smaller. In all honesty, there aren't that many regions on it, and many people - particularly those with slower machines/internet connections - will be kicking themselves when a random map throws this up, simply because of its dimensions.

as i already said:

DiM wrote:i made a second draft with forests, rivers, terits, connections, some terit names and icons, title, legend space etc. updated it in the first post.
regarding the size i honestly don't know what the supersize limits are so i just made it 1400*1200 and then i'll reduce it to fit within the guidelines.
also, despite doing all my work on a 15.6 inch laptop display i still like having a big image in front of me and most of the time i'm zoomed in at 3-400%.

it will be a supersized map but not at this size. i shall reduce it at some point but for now i prefer to work on it as it is.

right now i'm working on the gameplay which will use system similar to the rock paper scissors game but only with some added elements (shotgun laser cannon :lol: )
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

finally a complete draft with a working legend terits names bonuses and everything needed.

V3:
*added buildings
*finished terit naming, and also added some new terits bringing the total to somewhere a little over 100.
*changed the fonts used and the styling
*added rules for bombarding and bonuses as well as icon explanations in the legend (of course they will need to be made pretty)
*added icons on the map

image is on the first post. there's no need to post it here since we're on the same page.
Major DiM

Postby Incandenza on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:53 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The aesthetics of this remind me of a draft of a map someone worked on long ago, but I can't quite remember who or where it is. The only thing I remember is that it had little homes/huts on it, and it might have been mega big. Maybe it was a mibi/wm playing around map? I can't recall. Hm,

--Andy

I believe you're thinking of mibi's Trojan War map.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Re: Knights & Warlocks [15.Oct.11] - V3 - page 1

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 pm

here's how the gameplay works.

each player starts with either a warlock or a knight. nothing less and nothing more. so there are just 8 starting positions. what i need to know is if it's possible to limit the starting terits to just 1 regardless of the number of players. that means that in a 4player game people won't get 2 knights/warlocks. as far as i know it's possible but i need confirmation.

every is terit is a village/town and they all start neutral. neutral values will have to be carefully decided and analysed for each terit but it will be done.
some villages are special and they have a big farm or a mine or they train griffins and flying monkeys.

each player gets 3 armies from the knight/warlock and can use those armies to expand. getting a farm/lumberyard/mine will give +1 for each village that is connected to it.
let me give an example. let's say i start in the lower left corner of the map with the warlock Leja. i move left and conquer the lumberyard in Okkyna. this will give me an extra +1 since my village (Leja) now receives lumber from Okkyna. next turn i get Vikt and Znigors. now the lumber is delivered to 2 more villages so that's another +2. but Znigors is an assassins camp so each turn i get a -2 on the overall bonus and a decay of 5 to any troops hosted in that terit. then i take the farm in Ve. now the food from the farm gets delivered to all the villages that form a chain connected to this farm. this means Znigors, Vikt, Okkyna and Leja. so an extra +4 and the lumber gets delivered to Znigors, Vikt, Ve and Leja so +4. on top of the +3 from the warlock i get 3+4+4=11 troops. minus the 2 for the assassins that's a total of +9.
now i feel the need to get even more so i move for the capital in Tombi. the capital doubles the bonuses from any resource as long as that resource is connected to it. so on top of adding a new place to take food and lumber to, i also get double bonuses for farm/lumber/mine.
so that +5 for lumber +5 for farm which are doubled to +10 for each and i get a total bonus of 3+10+10-2=21.
but some other player comes and takes my port in Vikt. now food from the farm only goes to Znigors and the bonus is not even doubled cause i lost the connection to the capital and the lumber is delivered only to Tombi and Leja so just +2 which is doubled to +4 since the lumber mill is connected to the capital. so when i ended my turn i had +21 but by losing just 1 terit i'm down to 3+1+4-2=+6

basically this scenario can happen at any time since the map is very open thanks to the huge number of ports and especially thanks to the bombardments.
you have to plan every move and make sure no terit is left unguarded cause your whole economy might go to the crapper.

PS: in case anybody is wondering why terits are colour coded to form continents, it's because i'm afraid the current bonuses won't be possible in the xml so i might have to limit the farm/lumber/mine bonus to just the villages in the same continent.
oh and they also act as a psychological stimulus for attacking. it's like when you start in the red continent and you see another player taking a red terit you feel like he's tresspassing even if you didn't own that terit and you'll seek vengeance. or i might be crazy :)
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 pm

It will take a bit of coding, but I believe the bonuses you have in your legend are doable. I'll have further comments tomorrow when I'm not quite so tired - it's been a long day for me!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I've reviewed your post above. Everything you mention is feasible, though the code may be lengthy. This is a very gameplay-heavy map, so I'm thinking we're going to be in the Main Foundry Workshop for awhile - neutral values, bonus values, etc. I'm sure TaCktiX would be pleased ;)

Oh, and as far as supersize goes, I believe the max is 1000 (wide) x 800 (high).

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:21 pm

V4:
reduced size to 1000*857
added some graphic touches

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Knights & Warlocks [16.Oct.11] - V4 - page 1&2

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Your Supersize Application has been approved!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Knights & Warlocks [16.Oct.11] - V4 - page 1&2

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:36 pm

thanks for the stamp.
here's
V5:
*increased terit font size to make it more visible
*improved visibility of the roads
*added neutral values (a lot of discussion needed to balance these)

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Knights & Warlocks [17.Oct.11] - V5 - page 1&2

Postby QoH on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Roads for me at least are still a bit hard to red. Perhaps make them bigger and/or darker?
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 am

Looks like it could turn into something nice but what's with the flying monkeys :-s ???
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Gillipig wrote:Looks like it could turn into something nice but what's with the flying monkeys :-s ???

it's a special request. also: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gLab9XcP63o/TUC2dFETzyI/AAAAAAAAACk/wOEPAPXrZkU/s1600/flying+monkey.jpg
Major DiM

Postby Gillipig on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Damn that's one mean monkey! I think I prefer the tree climbing ones.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 am

i need gameplay feedback people. this one is going to be difficult to balance so i need all the help i can get.
Major DiM

Postby Gillipig on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm normally better at giving gameplay advice than graphic advice but Flying monkeys, Cleric's, Assassins etc is having me somewhat perplexed.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:57 pm

This should work for here!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Next

Return to Recycling Box