Conquer Club

[GP] Undo, Redo, Mulligan, Take Back Options

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: REinforcements and troop placement snafus

Postby FiestyLion on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 pm

My apologies for the language. Just annoyed by the idiotic remarks.

P.S. What are you forgiven from?
Captain FiestyLion

Make a "reset deployment selections" or "undo" button

Postby markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

How about creating a reset button to re-arrange troop deployment (if needed) prior to starting your turn?
This would only apply to any manually placed reinforcements, (obviously no random troop placements)
creating a way to shuffle armies around the board until you chose to lock your selections in and start your turn. Or just create a "troop reset" button that could give you the opportunity to take back bad or accidental placements.
Even an "undo last move" button would be great as an alternative.
It would make troop deployment alot more user friendly.
Last edited by markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel markus Oralius

Re: Create a troop deployment selection reset button

Postby chapcrap on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Marcus Aurelius, just be careful when deploying. I think this type of idea has been rejected about 27 times now.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:37 pm

markus Oralius wrote:How about creating a reset button to re-arrange troop deployment (if needed) prior to starting your turn?
Or maybe creating a way to shuffle armies around the board until you chose to lock your selections in and start your turn. That would make troop deployment alot more user friendly.

What happens if you're second? Plus you could just keep shuffling troops until you end up with a fantastic drop. This has too much room for abuse.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:09 pm

let me clarify that it couldnt apply to the initial random troop deployment at all. It would only apply to the reiforcements that you manuallly place at the beginning of your turn.
I switched to CC from another website, and it was one of the top features I thought I would like to see here. It can be done. A button next "begin turn" that could reset troop deployments before your turn starts.
Maybe a better point to make is that it would only improve the game. If the programmers are willing, there is no reason not to have that feature that I can think of.
Colonel markus Oralius

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:45 pm

markus Oralius wrote:let me clarify that it couldnt apply to the initial random troop deployment at all. It would only apply to the reiforcements that you manuallly place at the beginning of your turn.
I switched to CC from another website, and it was one of the top features I thought I would like to see here. It can be done. A button next "begin turn" that could reset troop deployments before your turn starts.
Maybe a better point to make is that it would only improve the game. If the programmers are willing, there is no reason not to have that feature that I can think of.

It would create a whole host of new complications in freestyle games.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Re: Make a "reset deployment selections" or "undo" button

Postby markus Oralius on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:49 pm

You're right, It shouldn't apply to freestyle play
Colonel markus Oralius

Create return to deployment and/or assualt button

Postby redhedge47 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:23 am

Create an in game buttons allowing players to:
  • return to and reset the deployment phase before starting your attack phase
  • return to but not reset your attack phase at the beginning of your reinforcement phase

Specifics/Details:
  • Before you make your first assault in you attack phase next to the end assault button there would also be a return to deployment button resting all of your deployments so if you changed your mind before attacking you could go back and change your troops
  • at any time during your reinforcement phase next to the end reinforcements button there would be a return to assaults button that resets any reinforcements you’ve made up to this point and sets your troops back to how they were before you ended the assault
Exemptions
These buttons would not apply in these game type
  • All freestle games
  • Initail Deployment (round 1) of a manual game
How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • I have used other online totally not risk sites that have similar buttons to the ones I have laid out and they are quite convenient when you accidently click a wrong button
Last edited by redhedge47 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class redhedge47

Re: Create return to deployment and/or assualt button

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:27 pm

This has been suggested before and shot down. Basically, don't mess up.

However, I think that getting a change to redo deployment before attacking is not awful.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby packrat31306 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Maybe a "Return to Spoils" button might not be a bad idea to add to this.

01:15:59 ‹grifftron› we have Mall of America
01:16:08 ‹grifftron› and Camp fricking snoopy!
01:16:18 ‹pinkylee› we have statue of america!
Private packrat31306

Postby chapcrap on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm

chapcrap wrote:This has been suggested before and shot down. Basically, don't mess up.

However, I think that getting a change to redo deployment before attacking is not awful.

As an addendum to my previous post have a look:
  1. https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155487
  2. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154562
  3. viewtopic.php?f=471&t=139685
  4. viewtopic.php?f=471&t=141458
  5. viewtopic.php?f=471&t=29019
  6. viewtopic.php?f=471&t=28455
  7. viewtopic.php?f=471&t=366
That last one is locked for some reason. :-k

And if you look here: viewtopic.php?f=470&t=2970 You can see that the Undo button is in the rejected list.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby mc05025 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:41 pm

It will mess up the freestyle games
Field Marshal mc05025

Postby agentcom on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 pm

mc05025 wrote:It will mess up the freestyle games

I don't see how ... It's not like the other player can tell that you have ended your deployment or assault phase until you attack or reinforce, respectively.

I imagine that the trouble with this idea is that there is some major coding overhaul that would have to come with it because of the way the servers handle the data. But that is just a complete guess.

I have thought that this would be a good thing to have many times. I don't see the harm and completely support this suggestion. But I'm not optimistic.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 am

agentcom wrote:
mc05025 wrote:It will mess up the freestyle games

I don't see how ... It's not like the other player can tell that you have ended your deployment or assault phase until you attack or reinforce, respectively.

Because the OP, said reset the armies you have deployed.
And also, it will mess because imagine you just pressed end assaults and the other player starts doing some moves, so you want to go back to the assault phase. With this sug, this will be possible, but on the other hand is your fault for pressing end assault too early... :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby agentcom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:49 pm

OK, I would not be in favor of allowing a player to reset his drop in a freestyle game. Other than that, I am for this. Until you have had some sort of interaction with the map (by dropping, attacking, or forting) you should be able to go back.
Brigadier agentcom

Postby darth emperor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Well I would say more, just permit it in sequential games, nothing of freestyle. Neither first round of manual game (the latter one is more arguabily)
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby redhedge47 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:06 pm

darth emperor wrote:Well I would say more, just permit it in sequential games, nothing of freestyle. Neither first round of manual game (the latter one is more arguabily)

that sounds resonable I will amend the suggestion

Postby jonofperu on Wed May 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I posted in an old thread before finding this one.
There may be programming issues, but I can think of NO negative gameplay ramifications to allowing an UNDO within 5-10 seconds of troop movements, deployment, reinforcement, etc. I would only ask for an undo to correct those accidental clicks, nothing more.
Several times already I have set the amount of troops to move and clicked "end reinforcements" instead of "reinforce". Oops! Left my newly conquered continent wide open due to "clicking error".
Or I clicked wrong and moved all my troops in when I wanted to move only one, etc. 5-10 seconds to correct an oops as long as no other action has been taken is very reasonable. I think taking little mouse/keyboard mistakes out of the gameplay so strategy isn't compromised would be great!
I'm new to the game and maybe I'll learn from my mistakes (I sure hope so!) but it's been awfully frustrating.
I don't think I would make an option to undo all troop placement if you change your mind. I haven't had a problem with second thoughts, just accidental clicking.
You couldn't do it in speed games because it would slow down every turn by 5-10 sec. But building in a 5 sec delay at the end of 24-hour turns OR allowing an undo as long as the next player hasn't started his turn would be a great idea.
Major jonofperu

Postby redhedge47 on Wed May 09, 2012 5:08 pm

you can only return before your first move

Re: The Undo Button or Take Back Move Button

Postby jonofperu on Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Is there a way to run a poll on this? There are a bunch of posts about implementing an undo feature. Many, many players want it, though many also complain that it won't work or isn't a good idea for one reason or another.
I would guess new players like me like it more than old hats who don't make mistakes any more? 8-[

It seems opposition to the feature is mostly:
"It won't work in freestyle."
- Well only implement it in sequential
"It only happens once in a while."
- Do people who say this toss the spare tire from their car? Seriously if it happens on one turn out of 10 games it's still worth fixing because it can doom your game.
"Just don't make mistakes"
- I always wondered who bought the pencils that come with no eraser. I do hope I improve and no longer make the mistakes I'm occasionally making now, but I would definitely sign up for the eraser model if available. (Clicking mistakes... not strategy mistakes, just trying to remove mouse error from the game)
"It would be too difficult to code/implement" and "It's not a high enough priority for the amount of work it would take"
- There are a lot of opinions here. Some think it would be easy, some say impossible. I don't know who does the coding. Obviously their opinion is the one that counts. Perhaps if we could do a poll we would know how important it is to the community? What does rdsrds2120 mean by, "The site has fundamentally objected to this idea." Do you mean the people who run it or the community? Unless there's been some objective measure my guess is that most people would go for the feature if implemented correctly. And new players especially...

I would suggest someone attempt to address the concerns and create a proposal that would satisfy most of the criticisms. Then run a poll (if that's possible; if not maybe sticky and ask people to post yes/no comments?).

My proposal would be:
> An "undo" button to reverse ONLY the last action within 5-10 seconds.
Not intended to let you change your mind, only to correct a mistake - accidentally clicking a button.
> ONLY applies to actions that can be reversed without affecting the game - numer of troops moved into a conquered territory, single deployment of troops or a reinforcement action, etc.
> This option builds in a delay so that the action isn't posted to the server until 5 seconds after you click "reinforce" or "end reinforcements" OR until you perform another action. That way other players never see an action that gets reversed and the feature can't be abused. (Or if it can't work this way, make it available ONLY in sequential games BEFORE the next player starts his turn)
> Make it a configurable option that each player can turn on/off in settings. (If you don't want it, turn it off)

Several times now I've been overcome by the urge to bang my head on the table (softly) because I clicked "end reinforcements" instead of "reinforce" or clicked "reinforce" and didn't realize it was placing troops in the the wrong territory.

Sorry if people are tired of hearing this, I know many respond with "never gonna happen, get over it." But I think it matters to a lot of us.
Major jonofperu

MULLIGAN

Postby waltero on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm

With dice being such a Controlling factor, Maybe provide a Mulligan option?

Mulligan is a one time per game re do on 'a' die roll.

Do the Battles have to be so decisive?
If you have 60 units go against 10 units and press auto assault...why should a guy lose 57 (his entire Army) units.
It is sickening!

Might put a all out or a unit dial to allocate how many units you will put into (lose) a battle before you retreat from battle.

Not many war games will allow four units to destroy an entire army of 30. Mulligan on the Assault button as well :twisted:
Last edited by waltero on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cook waltero

Re: MULLIGAN

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby Gillipig on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:Image

:lol:
I don't think that would be a good idea, and even if the site would make that an option it would be for one roll, not the 30+ rolls you seem to be really asking for.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I really can't see this happening. It's a game, you win some, and you inevitably loose some as well.
Private blakebowling

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm

As rejected as they come.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions