Conquer Club

West Wing [11/5] pg 1/4

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

West Wing [11/5] pg 1/4

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:20 am

Map Name:Wast Wing
Mapmaker(s):koontz1973
Number of Territories:57
Special Features:Different types of spoils / winning condition / losing condition
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:The British burnt this one to the ground forcing the Americans to flee. ;)

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

New map and gameplay. Normal drops will come into effect this time but the hallways/and secret service agents will always start neutral to stop bonus drops.

show: drafts
Last edited by koontz1973 on Sun May 06, 2012 11:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: West Wing idea.

Postby Gillipig on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am

Since it's about rescuing the president I think it should be alright. Win condition could be to rescue the president I assume? Maybe the starting positions could be windows? How big where you thinking of making it, how many territs? I like the idea it could turn into something fun.
While I came to think of it does anyone remember what happened to that bank robbery map? Can't stop thinking about what happened to it!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 am

Not sure yet on any numbers of territs. WC off course would be to rescue the pres or kill of the intruders. Probably the later as the pres would be in the oval so an easy rescue.The bank map like a lot of others just got no where. But with 18+ rooms and the corridors, I can see it being a 70 - 90 territs easy. Yes, the entrances will be windows, but which ones.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I like this idea and have thought it would be a cool map, especially cause I like the Senate map. Though part of me wants to see the original building have more of a role in this map, but West Wing is cool by me.

Plus, I always liked that scene in X-men 2 when Nightcrawler stomps around the White house beating people up, and that is what I will imagine I'm doing when I play this map.

I think you might need to go supersize to fit names and numbers on there.

Aso... is the image taken from the Wash. Post? If so... you're going to have to copy it or something, cause, you know, copyright :(
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I like this idea and have thought it would be a cool map, especially cause I like the Senate map. Though part of me wants to see the original building have more of a role in this map, but West Wing is cool by me.

I see no reason why the original building cannot become involved if I can fit it in. I think the second floor of the west wing connects to the first floor of the mansion. Will need to look into it some more.
Plus, I always liked that scene in X-men 2 when Nightcrawler stomps around the White house beating people up, and that is what I will imagine I'm doing when I play this map.

Nice scene, probably the best one in x2.
I think you might need to go supersize to fit names and numbers on there.

Will try to get it on a normal size map first.
Also... is the image taken from the Wash. Post? If so... you're going to have to copy it or something, cause, you know, copyright :(

It is the Washington Post. I just used it to illustrate the idea. No worries, I will draw it from scratch but before.
Here in fact is the first drawing. As you can see, it is very rough but should give an idea of what to expect. It is taken from the West Wing floor plans so includes all rooms. Some will need to be made bigger. The coloured zones would be the areas of key people and bad guys. So to take a room, you have to take out the baddies first or you get a negative bonus, then the good guys for a positive bonus. Need to put around the map, some dead agents (is this to much of a bad thing) so you get an auto deploy (to simulate getting extra ammo, guns).
Click image to enlarge.

I believe that it is not allowed to use the Seal of the President. Is this true?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tokle on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:11 am

What about the second floor? Should you not include that too?
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:39 am

tokle wrote:What about the second floor? Should you not include that too?

Right now, this is at the max for supersize and some of the rooms and corridors are already tight. It has been asked to get the mansion in but the second floor would be a better fit. Will try and squeeze it in. That should nearly double the territs in play to around 140+. Right now, I have gotten some of the gameplay worked out and will try to update the image early next week. It is still a very rough draft stage.

I have worked out 7 of the rescue parties to be - Secret Service, D.C.P.D, FBI, CIA, NCIS, S.W.A.T and the SAS (British I know but they where there to teach the American army how to fight ;) . Need an eighth. Any ideas as this is more of an American thing. If I can get this to 12, it would be great incase the site goes to 12 player games.

Gameplay ideas on the map now.
Terrorists in the same room need to be taken in one turn or negative bonus given.
Hostages are small neutrals and give good bonuses. These will need to be tweeked.
P.O.T.U.S and V.P are the winning condition. Holding either gives the ability to bombard the home office of each service, thus knocking them out of the game.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:05 pm

koontz1973 wrote:I have worked out 7 of the rescue parties to be - Secret Service, D.C.P.D, FBI, CIA, NCIS, S.W.A.T and the SAS (British I know but they where there to teach the American army how to fight ;) . Need an eighth. Any ideas as this is more of an American thing. If I can get this to 12, it would be great incase the site goes to 12 player games.

You've been watching to much TV - NCIS - :lol:!! But really, include NSA, Swap SAS for OSI as I really don't think SAS would be involved in anything like this scenario. :-k
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:41 am

isaiah40 wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:I have worked out 7 of the rescue parties to be - Secret Service, D.C.P.D, FBI, CIA, NCIS, S.W.A.T and the SAS (British I know but they where there to teach the American army how to fight ;) . Need an eighth. Any ideas as this is more of an American thing. If I can get this to 12, it would be great incase the site goes to 12 player games.

You've been watching to much TV - NCIS - :lol:!! But really, include NSA, Swap SAS for OSI as I really don't think SAS would be involved in anything like this scenario. :-k

The SAS was a joke, but thanks for the suggestions. Got my 12 now but will need to swap one or two out. Managed to squeeze in the ground floor of the West Wing, but no mansion (no room).
Click image to enlarge.

The 3 types of symbols on the map are for Pres, V pres and staff. Each one is a territ. As you can see, the size for the legend is minute, so instructions need to be short, precise and very easy. How to connect the two floors? Would it be in bad taste to have dead secret service agents for the auto deploy bonus. If this was ever to happen, I doubt they would go without a fight. Entry points? Where and how many, I wanted all the agencies to be able to attack all (good idea or not).
Will work on the agency legend part next till I get some ideas on where and when for the next.
Would it be OK to put into each room the bonus for holding it? So instead of having a normal legend or mini map, the map itself will show the bonuses. Then the legend only needs to show how to grab one.

Graphics will come a lot later.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am

Well one thing you will have to swap out is the Washington State Patrol, what would they being doing 3000 miles from Washington State? Anyways what 12 do you have as I can't see the logos for them.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 am

isaiah40 wrote:Well one thing you will have to swap out is the Washington State Patrol, what would they being doing 3000 miles from Washington State? Anyways what 12 do you have as I can't see the logos for them.

Current 12.
S.W.A.T
CIA
FBI
ATF
D.C.P.D
NSA
DEA
Highway Patrol (the one you said to remove)
Secret Service
OSI
Navy SEALS
NCIS (still there for now but will come out, it is handy for size issues)

That's the 12. I intend to put the names under each badge so it is easy to see who is who. Will get it up tonight.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Let me know what is good/bad. Took the starting territs down to 8 but there is room for the other 4 when someone lets me know what is good.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tokle on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Well one thing you will have to swap out is the Washington State Patrol, what would they being doing 3000 miles from Washington State? Anyways what 12 do you have as I can't see the logos for them.

Current 12.
S.W.A.T
CIA
FBI
ATF
D.C.P.D
NSA
DEA
Highway Patrol (the one you said to remove)
Secret Service
OSI
Navy SEALS
NCIS (still there for now but will come out, it is handy for size issues)

That's the 12. I intend to put the names under each badge so it is easy to see who is who. Will get it up tonight.

He wasn't objecting to having the highway patrol there. He was objecting to having the patrol from Washington State, which is on the other side of the continent. Does the DC have its own highway patrol? Or is it part of the DCPD?
Major tokle

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 pm

Yes remove Washington State Highway Patrol and replace it with something else. DCPD is actually MPDC Metropolitan Police District of Columbia. Keep NCIS as you would have the Chief of the Navy at the White House. Oh and change ATF to BATFE - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Click image to enlarge.

That should be the 12 now. Any changes to them?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am

Still working on this one. Coming along slowly.
Should be ready for draft status next update.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:04 am

If I were making a map of the West Wing, I'd think about what makes it unique. What makes it more than a time and place? A hostage situation can take place anywhere, but what can only take place in the West Wing?

I would think about the inner workings of the West Wing as a it functions in the bigger picture, rather than a theoretical instance. Perhaps the hierarchy of staff and their interactions within and without. Or maybe expand to the entire White House and incorporate the Situation Room and other notable features?

$.02
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:20 am

The problem I am having right now is which type of game to have.

Normal type of map that you have continent bonuses.
Starting positions (this is the one I had and scrapped)
The story behind it all. That is what has me stuck for now.
This is the current image, as you can see, it only has 2 of the 4 floors of the west wing. It has plenty of opportunities for gameplay development but it is that story and type that is alluding me.

Click image to enlarge.

Oval office is easy to spot.
Rose garden is between the two buildings.
The smaller building is the ground floor and the situation room is at the top right of it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:15 pm

You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.

This would be sweet if you could pull it off!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Gillipig on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:You might try a sort of blueprint design as I think that would be pretty effective.

I'm not much for all these colourful colours :) . I think making it look less doodle like and more architect like is the way to go.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 pm

You know, I like your Rorke's Drift map, but this idea really isn't selling me. I think I'd rather see you let loose on something else!

But best of luck if you continue.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

IH, is this the sort of thing you are looking for, as I think I can run with this. If this is the sort of thing to go with, colours will need to be kept to a minimum as the only things that would of gone onto a BP would be pencil/pen marks.
Click image to enlarge.

Should be able to run with this as a normal style continent map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:57 am

AndyDufresne wrote:You know, I like your Rorke's Drift map, but this idea really isn't selling me. I think I'd rather see you let loose on something else!

But best of luck if you continue.

--Andy

I let myself lose on the Falklands. Hope you like that one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 am

Gillipig wrote:

I'm not much for all these colourful colours :) . I think making it look less doodle like and more architect like is the way to go.

I think that is why I was having so much trouble with it. So many colours to factor in. Hopefully the BP idae has legs as this is an iconic building with so many rooms.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas