Conquer Club

[PC] Average Wait / Response Time

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Should we place an Average Wait Time on each person's wall?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes : 32

Re: Place an "Average Wait Time" on each persons wall...

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:15 pm

I agree! This would be cool to have!

I think it would be neat to see how fast I take my turns in games... this sounds like a cool feature 8-)
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby Gillipig on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 pm

First I was like nah but I changed my mind. I think it would be a fun stat, but also a useful one. More useful than the dice stat at least.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby chapcrap on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:37 pm

I like it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Ickyketseddie on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:09 am

I like it! :D
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby perchorin on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:59 am

I like this idea though worry it won't take into account people playing in odd time zones (like Korea). I check my games throughout the day, but because most of the players are asleep at that time back in North America not much happens. Then I've got a ton of turns waiting for me when I wake up in the mornings. This feature would likely make me look like a "slow" player which just isn't the case I'm just not in the more popular time zones.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby Symmetry on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 am

Crazy Frog wrote:Place an "Average Lag Time" on each persons wall...

This will give the following information on the player: When the persons turn is up on games... how long does it generally take for the person to respond to the game and make their move???

Deeply creepy. Perhaps a culture of constant surveillance is not the best way for you to pick your victims. Of course, I might be wrong.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Gillipig on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:34 am

perchorin wrote:I like this idea though worry it won't take into account people playing in odd time zones (like Korea). I check my games throughout the day, but because most of the players are asleep at that time back in North America not much happens. Then I've got a ton of turns waiting for me when I wake up in the mornings. This feature would likely make me look like a "slow" player which just isn't the case I'm just not in the more popular time zones.

This doesn't change the fact that sometimes people has to wait for you to take your turn. And that's the point of this feature to see how on average long time a player has to wait for you to take your turns. If you take your turns quickly during day time I'm sure your numbers aren't going to be that bad.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby greenoaks on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Gillipig wrote:
perchorin wrote:I like this idea though worry it won't take into account people playing in odd time zones (like Korea). I check my games throughout the day, but because most of the players are asleep at that time back in North America not much happens. Then I've got a ton of turns waiting for me when I wake up in the mornings. This feature would likely make me look like a "slow" player which just isn't the case I'm just not in the more popular time zones.

This doesn't change the fact that sometimes people has to wait for you to take your turn. And that's the point of this feature to see how on average long time a player has to wait for you to take your turns. If you take your turns quickly during day time I'm sure your numbers aren't going to be that bad.

if your daytime is not Korea, or in my case Australia.

with the largest group of players from the USA those of us who do not live in those timezones are automatically disadvantaged.

this is a site for the casual gamer to log in once a day. if you want to play with people who take their turns quicker than that use the Callouts forum, Live Chat to organise a game or play Speed.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Crazy Frog on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Answer to Korea location:
If you are a person who checks your games several times per day you would hardly be over 8 hours ever... unless of course you sleep 12 hours per day... But even then... only a percentage of your games would come up for play during your sleep time... and they would vary from the time you got off the computer untill the time you got on the computer... so the percentages would still be relatively small on ones that delayed... and would still not be 23 hour delays.. the average would probably be (with 12 hours of sleep) about a 4-5 hour (or less) response time average... Again.. for a person who checks in several times during the day.
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Postby socxc9 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:55 pm

How about I spend the first 9 hours of the day at school, the next 4 doing homework, (able to do CC), and the next 8 hours sleeping, repeat. I know that probably doesnt add up to 24, but, the point is that I can get to CC once or twice a weekday, within 4 hours. If i had this on my wall, people would run away from me!
Private 1st Class socxc9

Postby chapcrap on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm

socxc9 wrote:How about I spend the first 9 hours of the day at school, the next 4 doing homework, (able to do CC), and the next 8 hours sleeping, repeat. I know that probably doesnt add up to 24, but, the point is that I can get to CC once or twice a weekday, within 4 hours. If i had this on my wall, people would run away from me!

I disagree with this. I would not even look at it. I would still play with you.

I think this would just be a tool that would be used gladly for others who want to and care about taking many turns in the same game every day. For instance, a freemium player who has a lot of extra time and wants to get more games in, they would be interested.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Smokey McBandit on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm

socxc9 wrote:How about I spend the first 9 hours of the day at school, the next 4 doing homework, (able to do CC), and the next 8 hours sleeping, repeat. I know that probably doesnt add up to 24, but, the point is that I can get to CC once or twice a weekday, within 4 hours. If i had this on my wall, people would run away from me!

Yes. Yes they would. I like it!
Sergeant 1st Class Smokey McBandit

Postby Crazy Frog on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 pm

Twice per day would not be a bad average if the times were separated by 6 or 8 hours.. actually it would be quite normal...

If you only got to CC once per day your average would be the typical 18 or so hour average of the normal once per day Coffee Clutch... Even I do not mind such games...now and then... Just to play in a few of them is fine.. but I would limit my number of "Heavy Games" to just a few.. and maybe with some of my older acquaintances...

Long lag time /Heavy games have their place... But...

One of the draw backs to Heavy games is that they cause you to "Need to play in Many Games" in order to keep the game play moving... This has a definite Draw back in a time when you do not have any "Spare time to play" and many games are all up at the same time....

With a tool like this... the number of games could be more easily regulated and the peaks and valleys smoothed out a bit...

Postby rokus35 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:33 pm

i greatly want this great suggestion by the way
Cook rokus35

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:16 pm

Crazy Frog wrote:Place an "Average Wait Time" on each persons wall...

It would wind up meaningless. There is a lot of variability here for most people. And, a lot of people respond differently depending on the games they are playing. Similar to the current ratings and missed turns statistics, it would wind up showing little for people who play a lot of games.

If you want quick games, play speed. End of story.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I think everyone should be forced to post their weekly schedule on their wall.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

i think it s a great idea, but there should be one for casual and one for speed games.
Major betiko

Postby Crazy Frog on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:49 pm

yeah... you gotta keep em separated...

POLL - Average "wait time"/ "turn speed rating"

Postby Verns on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 am

I saw the forum post by Crazy Frog and like it a LOT! See below for the original post. I have started a poll on this - please vote.

I think an average wait time/ player average turn speed would be excellent! Particularly if this was alongside the current rating so it is quick to see without having to look at the individual players profile page.

Original post by Crazy Frog.......
Place an "Average Lag Time" on each persons wall...

This will give the following information on the player: When the persons turn is up on games... how long does it generally take for the person to respond to the game and make their move???

Some players just do all of their moves at their one and only time on the computer every day... Ok.. Fine. Lets say that rating for one person would be would be "Average Wait time 23:15"
A person who usually checks in and does thier moves 3-4 times per day or more... would then have a much smaller Average Wait Time...

If a person does speed games however those games should NOT be counted in with the average Wait time... as 5min games would mess up the results of the normal 24 game wait times that are the target of this.

Why do I think this is necessary or advisable?
It is a compliment to the % of turns taken ratings for us to know not only how many of their turns they were on time with.. but...
We would now know how fast the Person is about taking their turns... (Or how slow they are)

When choosing to play team games etc... I am much more interested in playing with people who I know will be there and check in on games fairly often... there is no serious delays with people like that...
But on games with people who move only... ONLY 1 Time per day... and never any faster... The whole game can be moving along really good and then STOP for 24 hours. If you have several people in a game with that sort of record.. an 8 player game can take a week for R-1... I would not join that game knowing in advance that it is a game full of people with the casual 23-24 hour rating...
This idea would not Prevent delays... But it would give you a good heads up on whether you should Join a game or not... and also... in a game you are allready in, you can look at the players rating and think... "do I wait up a few more minutesor go on to bed and check it in the morning..."

More advanced ideas of this... would be to have Pre-game screens based upon players Wait time scores... Choosing games with people who play with the same type of attitude that you do...
Ok.. What think ye?
Corporal Verns

Postby Verns on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 am

Awesome idea. So awesome that I have started a poll!!! Please vote - subject line below

POLL - Average "wait time"/ "turn speed rating"
Corporal Verns

Re: POLL - Average "wait time"/ "turn speed rating"

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 am

Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply have suggested to Crazy_Frog that he put a poll up on his suggestion?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 am

Easily could have asked a mod to do it too. Merging the threads and adding a poll
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby agentcom on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:45 pm

Gillipig wrote:First I was like nah but I changed my mind. I think it would be a fun stat, but also a useful one. More useful than the dice stat at least.

'Completely agree.

One error with the OP is that a person who comes on once a day will probably have an average wait time of about 12 hours. To get an average wait time of 24 hours, a person would have to consistently play turns right as they're about to expire. Basically it would be a person that checks into CC all the time but just to play turns that are about to expire.
Colonel agentcom

Show "Player Average Turn Length" when joining 24 hour games

Postby deeptime on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 pm

In a 24 hour game, the length of time that a player normally takes to complete their turn is a much better indicator of my satisfaction with the game, than are the peer review ratings. It is extremely annoying to have most players complete their turn within 1-2 hours, but have that one player who takes up the entire day.

My feature suggestion is to track the average elapsed turn time for each player on 24 hour games, and show that duration next to their name, either instead of or in addition to their peer rating. That way, I can choose to join 24 hr games that are populated by only fast players.

E.g., a game finder listing for a 24-hour game might look like this:
  • WarChief (4.9 / 2:49)
  • BumbleFool (4.6 / 8:19)
  • AverageJoe (4.8 / 1:47)

I have searched for similar suggestions and have not found a duplicate; however, I have found several users asking for 6-hour and 12-hour durations, which has not been implemented. This feature could be a solid compromise -- allowing faster players to self-select which games they join.
Sergeant 1st Class deeptime

Re: Show "Player Average Turn Length" when joining 24 hour g

Postby chapcrap on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 pm

This has been suggested before. I think that's it kind of interesting, but not something that most people think is needed very much at all.
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions