Conquer Club

New Zealand [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Zealand [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:36 pm

NEW ZEALAND

Link to Poll topic Page 9

ImageImage Image Image ImageImage Image

Supersize stamped 3.11.11
Draft stamped 5.12.11
Gameplay Stamp 7.3.12
Graphics Stamped 23.8.12
XML Stamped 22.12.12
BETA Stamped 8.1.13
Quenched 1.8.13

Map Name:New Zealand
Mapmaker(s):cairnswk
Number of Territories:72
Number of Continents:16
Gameplay: Standard
Special Features:range attacks, Tikis start neutral but have bonus +1 when taken
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
[*]CC doesn't have a NZ yet - long awaited, started a couple of times, but not finished << NOW FINISHED :)
[*]uses mountains and rivers to create impassables which are a feature of the landscape
[*]I've been to NZ 3 times: 1. on a Kontiki tour around both islands 2. lived in Te Anau for 12 months 3. went to Auckland on a shopping trip for the weekend and drove down to Rotorua for look at the "Boilers"
Software Used:Adobe Illustrator CS3
Sizes:
Small - 800W x 1000H
Large - 880W x 1100H

Latest XML : http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/12/21/3378809/08_NZ.xml

Version 24 - Small

Version 24 - Large
Click image to enlarge.

show: 88s

Starting Neutrals
Click image to enlarge.

Color Blind Check V19
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... test_1.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... test_2.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... test_3.jpg

show: Previous Versions
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 84 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [29.10.11] V1

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:57 pm

i think i've mentioned this on some of your other maps also. there are a lot of jpg compression artefacts. you either save at a low quality or photobucket screws with your images.

aside from that i love the colours (as usual) but i'm not too fond of the total lack of texture on both land as well as sea. if the land lack of texture is not a really big issue since you have a lot of colours and army numbers and names and various artwork, the sea really bothers me because it's a lot of sea. so, some colour variation some texture for the sea would be great.

i'm also not a big fan of the dark mountains. in some places they're too close and too small and don't look like mountains at all (for example the ones in wellington).

oh, and the text in the legend. i'd love some sort of bolder bulkier font, not because it's hard to read but because a bulkier font would allow more colour on the inside. right now it's pretty much ok but on the small version i think there will be some trouble identifying the colours on the legend text.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: New Zealand [29.10.11] V1

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:16 am

thanks for the feedback Dim :)
DiM wrote:i think i've mentioned this on some of your other maps also. there are a lot of jpg compression artefacts. you either save at a low quality or photobucket screws with your images.

Yes. Illustrtor has a different export method that i am still trying to figure out the best way to get reasonable images wihtout huge download files (until the end), so hang in there...
aside from that i love the colours (as usual) but i'm not too fond of the total lack of texture on both land as well as sea. if the land lack of texture is not a really big issue since you have a lot of colours and army numbers and names and various artwork, the sea really bothers me because it's a lot of sea. so, some colour variation some texture for the sea would be great.

yes. i have changed the image with sea colour and some small texture on the sea...don't think i'll worry too much about the land, so again hang in there....

i'm also not a big fan of the dark mountains. in some places they're too close and too small and don't look like mountains at all (for example the ones in wellington).

OK they can be changed

oh, and the text in the legend. i'd love some sort of bolder bulkier font, not because it's hard to read but because a bulkier font would allow more colour on the inside. right now it's pretty much ok but on the small version i think there will be some trouble identifying the colours on the legend text.

yep that can be amended also :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [30.10.11] V2

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Version 2
1. adjusted the legend text as per request
2. changed the overall colour of the tiki and added larger version so players can see what thye are
3. changed the colour of Waikato and Auckland

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:16 am

I like the look of this map, Cairnswk. It's nice to see you expanding your stylistic reach!

This looks like I map I would play. The tikis add a nice uncomplicated touch to a regular bonus zones.

West Coast and Otago are pretty close in color. Perhaps nudging one in some direction would do the trick.

Southland is pretty big in size (8 regions). Can it be limited down to 1 border-->Clutha? Or is there a border at Te Anau and Queentown? I can't quite tell if that is a gap in the mountains or not.

Best of luck, keep it up!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ndrs on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 am

Love the color scheme and the smooth, untextured style. It makes it very screen friendly and easy to look at.

To me the header differs too much from the rest of the map in both color and style ā€“ perhaps the Canterbury- or Waikato colors would work better?

I also think that lowering the saturation of the sea would make the main land stand out more and add legibility to the texts.

Very nice! :)
Colonel ndrs

Postby Gillipig on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:15 pm

There's been some tries at a map of New Zealand. If I remember it correctly they've fallen on the challenge of creating a fair bonus system. I will follow this map and add some suggestions/feedback when I can think of something. My first concern is how the northernmost part is very very bonus heavy and easy to hold. 6 troops in bonus for holding 6 regions and only two borders!? Taraniki looks a little heavy as well. 3 troops for holding 2 regions. One starts as neutral but I don't know if it compensates it.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: New Zealand [2.11.11] V3

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I like the look of this map, Cairnswk. It's nice to see you expanding your stylistic reach!
This looks like I map I would play. The tikis add a nice uncomplicated touch to a regular bonus zones.
West Coast and Otago are pretty close in color. Perhaps nudging one in some direction would do the trick.
Southland is pretty big in size (8 regions). Can it be limited down to 1 border-->Clutha? Or is there a border at Te Anau and Queentown? I can't quite tell if that is a gap in the mountains or not.
Best of luck, keep it up!
--Andy

Thanks Andy :)
I haven't changes the colours in West Coast and Otago yet, but on my to do list..
Te Anua - Queenstown border fixed to make it clearer - Southland has two borders

ndrs wrote:Love the color scheme and the smooth, untextured style. It makes it very screen friendly and easy to look at.
To me the header differs too much from the rest of the map in both color and style ā€“ perhaps the Canterbury- or Waikato colors would work better?
I also think that lowering the saturation of the sea would make the main land stand out more and add legibility to the texts.
Very nice! :)

Thanks ndrs :)
The title has been changed to the same font AERO as the bonus legend except there is no fill but offset
this is additioned by the national emblem - the silver fern
I'd like to keep it black and white as those also appear to be the national colours
i have lowered the saturation to 65% on the blue.

Gillipig wrote:There's been some tries at a map of New Zealand. If I remember it correctly they've fallen on the challenge of creating a fair bonus system. I will follow this map and add some suggestions/feedback when I can think of something. My first concern is how the northernmost part is very very bonus heavy and easy to hold. 6 troops in bonus for holding 6 regions and only two borders!? Taraniki looks a little heavy as well. 3 troops for holding 2 regions. One starts as neutral but I don't know if it compensates it.

Thanks Gillipig :)
Yes i reviewed the two maps previous.
As you can see i have changed the assault arrangements to planes which was suggested in previous life...
there are two types: national domestic - white fill; and regional domestic- black fill

See how this gameplay goes. ;)

Version 3
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [2.11.11] V3 - Gameplay flights

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 pm

I like the element of the tiki(s)! Andy pretty much summed up my sentiments:
AndyDufresne wrote:The tikis add a nice uncomplicated touch to a regular bonus zones.

One quick thing I noticed, Northland and Auckland if held together can be deadly. I think adding an airport on Rodney (or moving the one over from Auckland) would be a decent solution.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:...
One quick thing I noticed, Northland and Auckland if held together can be deadly. I think adding an airport on Rodney (or moving the one over from Auckland) would be a decent solution.

-Sully

HI Sully, thanks for commenting :)
1. what makes Northland and Auckland more deadly than other combined regions? IS it because they only require two regions each before bonuses are held. If that is the case, the we could lower there bonus to 1 each for those regions (given that they will already get bonus from tiki)
2. There are two things happening with planes
a. white with black outline - Auckland, Wellington, Gisborne, Chiristchurh, Dundein and Queenstown, can all aasault each other.
b. black with white outlines - all other regions can assault each other.
so for Northland and Auckland - they have two planes that can be assaulted from other regions...there should be plenty of scope to keep them from getting too strong.
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:

-Sully

1. what makes Northland and Auckland more deadly than other combined regions? IS it because they only require two regions each before bonuses are held. If that is the case, the we could lower there bonus to 1 each for those regions (given that they will already get bonus from tiki)
a. white with black outline - Auckland, Wellington, Gisborne, Chiristchurh, Dundein and Queenstown, can all aasault each other.
so for Northland and Auckland - they have two planes that can be assaulted from other regions...there should be plenty of scope to keep them from getting too strong.

Oh, I read the legend. I meant that if both Northland and Auckland were to be held by the same person, it would be +6 for a mere 2 borders. With a plane on Rodney, it would increase that to 3 borders, without increasing the number of borders for the individual bonus area.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:52 pm

New Zealand!?! Can't wait to play!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:New Zealand!?! Can't wait to play!

Excellent IH, great to have you back :)

Oh, I read the legend. I meant that if both Northland and Auckland were to be held by the same person, it would be +6 for a mere 2 borders. With a plane on Rodney, it would increase that to 3 borders, without increasing the number of borders for the individual bonus area.
-Sully

Done, next version
Private cairnswk

Postby Gillipig on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:32 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

-Sully

yup saw that two. there's needs to be three borders to prevent an easy bottle neck.
-Sully
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:32 am

I think you've been waiting for this!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Gillipig wrote:...
yup saw that two. there's needs to be three borders to prevent an easy bottle neck.
-Sully

Mmmm, i think you got some quotes out of place, Gillipig. But i understood!

Thanks for the stamp isaiah40 ^^^^^ :)
Private cairnswk

Postby chapnis on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:31 pm

For what it's worth Corrimandal is Coromandel, Palmerston is Palmerston North, and Wangerei is Whangarei
Sergeant 1st Class chapnis

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:06 pm

chapnis wrote:For what it's worth Corrimandal is Coromandel, Palmerston is Palmerston North, and Wangerei is Whangarei

Thanks chapnis. good to see you here :)
I'll adjust those names next version.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapnis on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm happy to help out with anything New Zealand related, but it seems you got it pretty much all sorted.

Postby cairnswk on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

chapnis wrote:I'm happy to help out with anything New Zealand related, but it seems you got it pretty much all sorted.

Thanks, that's a nice compilment, glad i was able to do some justice to your country. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby chapnis on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

May I also suggest renaming the Wanganui region to Manawatu-Wanganui or just Manawatu? As it is more commonly called Manawatu and then there would be less confusion between the Wanganui territory and area.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:44 am

chapnis wrote:May I also suggest renaming the Wanganui region to Manawatu-Wanganui or just Manawatu? As it is more commonly called Manawatu and then there would be less confusion between the Wanganui territory and area.

Done! :) Changed to Manawatu!
Private cairnswk

Postby chapnis on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:47 am

Okay, I like the map :) Can't wait to play it!

Re: New Zealand [24.11.11] V4 - Gameplay discussion

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:00 am

Version 4.
1. I've changed those region names as suggested
2. Given the design element around the edge a 50% opacity, this makes the map itself stand out
3. adjusted some of the those mountains around Wellington

I'll continue to work on the mountains... :)

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [24.11.11] V4 - Gameplay discussion

Postby chapnis on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:50 am

Sorry, I meant leave the single territory as Wanganui (as it's a town) and make the bonus (group of territories) called Manawatu, as that's the 'region'. Sorry I may have been a bit confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whanganui vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manawatu-Wanganui_Region

And just to confuse you even more, the official spelling for Wanganui is Whanganui but can be called both

Next

Return to The Atlas