Conquer Club

[Rules] Allow permabanned members to appeal

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Should members be able to appeal perma/6 month bans?

Yes
73%
No
20%
Idunno lol
7%

Total votes : 123

Re: Allow permabanned/6 month ban members to appeal

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Symmetry wrote:Yup- I like the idea of a petition system bringing a case to the attention of the mods, or perhaps to a sub-forum where it can be discussed. I don't see any major issue in discussing or dismissing cases on their own merits. We're pretty good at that already. See the cheating and abuse forum- plenty of sharp people around, plenty of discussion over the various merits of an argument. It's not perfect, but we can talk about why it's not perfect fairly reasonably.

So here's my tentative suggestion:

If a player can gather (let's say for the moment) 20 other posters for a petition to reinstate someone, then that poster's case should be up for re-examination. I would suggest either by a mod panel, or perhaps better, in a sub forum where people could raise objections before a final decision need be made.

The problem with the petition is that the banned user might not even know the petition is in existence. That's why I thought it would be better if the banned user would send an e-ticket to show that he's interested in coming back, and then maybe we could have a petition to see if the users actually want him/her back.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby safariguy5 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Yup- I like the idea of a petition system bringing a case to the attention of the mods, or perhaps to a sub-forum where it can be discussed. I don't see any major issue in discussing or dismissing cases on their own merits. We're pretty good at that already. See the cheating and abuse forum- plenty of sharp people around, plenty of discussion over the various merits of an argument. It's not perfect, but we can talk about why it's not perfect fairly reasonably.

So here's my tentative suggestion:

If a player can gather (let's say for the moment) 20 other posters for a petition to reinstate someone, then that poster's case should be up for re-examination. I would suggest either by a mod panel, or perhaps better, in a sub forum where people could raise objections before a final decision need be made.

The problem with the petition is that the banned user might not even know the petition is in existence. That's why I thought it would be better if the banned user would send an e-ticket to show that he's interested in coming back, and then maybe we could have a petition to see if the users actually want him/her back.

I'm fine with that idea. If the banned user files an e-ticket, have a referendum and have people argue it out.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 am

A sub-forum in the C&A forum might be a good place for the petition/debates.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:09 am

Just saw this thread, not reading the whole thing today.
The max punishment is now 3 months? I am not sure that is always appropriate, but if so, then I would say all prior punishments should simply be reduced retroactively.

That said, I think we DO need permabans for people who really and truly do nasty stuff. Someone intetionally posting links with viruses, the most severe multis cases (this will have to be defined, but I mean people who have a lot of multis).

Also, I think we need some way to categorize or quarantine people who show over and over they are just plain nasty individuals to play with. (a lot of them wind up being multis, but that is irrelevant). I know those are seperate topics.. sort of overlapping the farming issue in some ways.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Just saw this thread, not reading the whole thing today.
The max punishment is now 3 months? I am not sure that is always appropriate, but if so, then I would say all prior punishments should simply be reduced retroactively.

That said, I think we DO need permabans for people who really and truly do nasty stuff. Someone intetionally posting links with viruses, the most severe multis cases (this will have to be defined, but I mean people who have a lot of multis).

Also, I think we need some way to categorize or quarantine people who show over and over they are just plain nasty individuals to play with. (a lot of them wind up being multis, but that is irrelevant). I know those are seperate topics.. sort of overlapping the farming issue in some ways.

Multis technically are permabanned I think but that's only until they buy premium with their first account
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Army of GOD wrote:
Multis technically are permabanned I think but that's only until they buy premium with their first account

Unless its changed, they only get to rebuy one account. Then they keep getting banned.

However, I am not so concerned with the multis. The folks I want to see lasting permabanned are truly harmful folks. Multis are a pain, need to be curtailed, but not the same as putting viruses that can hurt people's computers or posting serious threats to people.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby safariguy5 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:20 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

Unless its changed, they only get to rebuy one account. Then they keep getting banned.

However, I am not so concerned with the multis. The folks I want to see lasting permabanned are truly harmful folks. Multis are a pain, need to be curtailed, but not the same as putting viruses that can hurt people's computers or posting serious threats to people.

I don't think it's necessarily carte blanche to allow everyone back. Appeals process would definitely require a good deal of community support to even be considered, and ultimate say still goes to the admins. I think having that option open is nice, and I think the standards of the community have changed as the site has evolved.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:26 pm

safariguy5 wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily carte blanche to allow everyone back. Appeals process would definitely require a good deal of community support to even be considered, and ultimate say still goes to the admins. I think having that option open is nice, and I think the standards of the community have changed as the site has evolved.

If it was added as a sub forum of cheating and abuse I think a lot of the people who check that thread and investigate claims would be around to check on the validity of the petitions once they reached quorum and were up for debate.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:15 pm

An appeal seems reasonable.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:56 pm

Mods, have any admins taken notice of this thread/idea yet?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:56 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:Just saw this thread, not reading the whole thing today.
The max punishment is now 3 months?

Just a little clarity on the rules, here's the most recent update of the ladder:

MINOR INFRACTIONS:
  • First Infraction = Official Paddle Warning
  • Second Infraction = 24 Hour Vacation
  • Third Infraction = 72 Hour Vacation
  • Fourth Infraction = 1 Week Vacation
  • Fifth Infraction = 1 Month Vacation
  • Sixth Infraction = 3 Month Vacation
  • Seventh Infraction & Up = Repeated 3 Month Vacations

However, Major infractions work the same as they have done before, and the process directly before this one had a max ban of 6 months. So, perma-bans are still around, and assumably unaffected by the last alteration of the Minor Infraction scale. However, there may have been a time where Minor Infractions could have gotten you a Permaban. If that's the case, then I would support an appeal system for sure.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:39 pm

I say yes unless it is Army of GOD

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Re: Allow permabanned members to appeal

Postby Symmetry on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:56 pm

So I reckon we're at a fairly standard level here, not much in the way of objections to this:

1) An appeal process based on petitions
2) That those petitions be judged by posters and mods on their own standards in a public place
3) A decision can be made about the appeal

I don't see too much difficulty with this.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Symmetry wrote:So I reckon we're at a fairly standard level here, not much in the way of objections to this:

1) An appeal process based on petitions
2) That those petitions be judged by posters and mods on their own standards in a public place
3) A decision can be made about the appeal

I don't see too much difficulty with this.

Pretty much this.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Symmetry on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:32 pm

There's plenty of stuff that can be messed around with with that, but that's pretty much a framework that most people can agree on and is at least workable and implementable.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby notyou2 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 am

I like and support.
Captain notyou2

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Army of GOD wrote:A sub-forum in the C&A forum might be a good place for the petition/debates.

Sully like.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for the update.
rdsrds2120 wrote: there may have been a time where Minor Infractions could have gotten you a Permaban. If that's the case, then I would support an appeal system for sure.

-rd

I think the issue is whether some infractions really should have been judged major or would be judged major today. I can think of a couple cases in particular, but its probably best not to mention specific names here.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby squishyg on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:37 pm

one thing that should be considered is that sometimes the public's perception of why someone was banned is not the actual thing they were banned for. so some serious dirty laundry airing may need to happen were this suggestion to be implemented.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Symmetry on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:03 am

squishyg wrote:one thing that should be considered is that sometimes the public's perception of why someone was banned is not the actual thing they were banned for. so some serious dirty laundry airing may need to happen were this suggestion to be implemented.

Fair point, but a ban should be a fairly open thing. I guess a solution might be simply to ask the person if they want to appeal as part of the process. If they don't want to come back, they can say so, and if they don't want to discuss their ban, it doesn't have to get to that stage.

Also, though, to add to your concern, because obviously this is a good issue to bring up, the dirty laundry might involve other players. And they might not want to have stuff aired in public.

Good point.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Master Bush on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

squishyg wrote:This seems quite fair. Does anyone know how many users this would even affect?

reverend_kyle!
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant 1st Class Master Bush

Postby firsal901 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 am

I agree, there must be a "court of law" for CC for major violations

They hate you as much as you hate them
Cook firsal901

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Elmo9199 wrote:I agree, there must be a "court of law" for CC for major violations

I don't think I'd go that far- it is after all a site that's owned and run as a business. It's also a site that prides itself on community. I don't want CC to become a democracy, and of course it never will, but working out the right balance seems to be one of the main points of the suggestions forum. The ultimate decision will always reside with the powers that be, but I think there should be an appeals process where members of the community can add their voice.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby The Voice on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Sure, why not? Although, I feel as though this would put a strain on someone...the judge(s)
Major The Voice

Postby dakky21 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:45 pm

We all remember that guy that "forgot" that he had opened an account before, and got banned for writing about it in the forums. So, I say, YES, they should be able to e-ticket a support regarding their problem!
Captain dakky21

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions