Rank Restricted Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderators: Suggestions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Why is there no ratings blocker??

Postby faramund on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:08 am

This is why I stopped playing - I'm checking in for the first time in 2 years to see if this has changed. I guess it hasn't - I got sick of almost being able to tell who would win based on 1) is there someone ranked higher than everyone else, or 2) if there's a tie, then which good player has the most newbie's next to them.

If CC is worried about this feature leading to too few open games being available - then I would be happy with a compromise where maybe you couldn''t play two ratings blocked games in a row - and your first game can't be a ratings blocked gamw.
Corporal faramund

Postby Dako on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:59 am

I am moving this to suggs with shadow link of 72h.
Brigadier Dako

Medals: 115
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (13) General Achievement (24)
Clan Achievement (20) General Contribution (20)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:44 pm

faramund wrote:This is why I stopped playing - I'm checking in for the first time in 2 years to see if this has changed. I guess it hasn't - I got sick of almost being able to tell who would win based on 1) is there someone ranked higher than everyone else, or 2) if there's a tie, then which good player has the most newbie's next to them.

If CC is worried about this feature leading to too few open games being available - then I would be happy with a compromise where maybe you couldn''t play two ratings blocked games in a row - and your first game can't be a ratings blocked gamw.

A lot has changed, most particularly how you play various maps and styles.

The real question is why you would expect to win more when you keep playing the same way. If you keep losing then, its because that is the level where you are playing those particular settings. Try something different. Try other maps, other settings. If you left 2 years ago, Nuke spoils, manual deployment were not even options. Or, try the cook's forum to learn the basic standard maps like the classic. If you like that kind of map, it is a good way to be competetive. (I personally don't like classic).
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Drop game option, if a certain point difference is prese

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:18 pm

chapcrap wrote:Another person looking for a way to have an even, fun game.

lack, do you hear all of these requests?

Except rank does not really give you that information. Besides, too many higher ranked people will just refuse to play the lower ranks, meaning it will be even harder to climb the ladder.
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby chapcrap on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:26 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

Except rank does not really give you that information. Besides, too many higher ranked people will just refuse to play the lower ranks, meaning it will be even harder to climb the ladder.

I disagree. WIth rank segregation, it would be easier to climb the ladder.

If you have a pool of 100 players all ranked the same, the better players will rise to top and increase in rank, thus getting to play with the next group up. This would happen with all of the groups.

This isn't just speculation. This is from years of playing Yahoo! games like Spades and that's how it works there. If they didn't have a point cap at 3500 on Yahoo, people would have a ridiculous amount of points.
Major chapcrap
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Medals: 167
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31)
General Achievement (16) Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (6) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (34)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

chapcrap wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:

I disagree. WIth rank segregation, it would be easier to climb the ladder.

If you have a pool of 100 players all ranked the same, the better players will rise to top and increase in rank, thus getting to play with the next group up. This would happen with all of the groups.

This isn't just speculation. This is from years of playing Yahoo! games like Spades and that's how it works there. If they didn't have a point cap at 3500 on Yahoo, people would have a ridiculous amount of points.

I have played those other games, also for years.. and I have played CC for several years. Spades has nothing to do with CC.

The reason rank matters little here is not the scoring, its the fact that we have so many different maps. Only if you play the same maps, styles with people who play those same maps, styles consistantly AND you play enough to overshadow the natural luck factor, only then does it really matter.

To compare a team, esc spoils on classic map with a 6 player assassin, no spoils on Fuedal or a 1 vs 1 with Nuke spoils on Waterloo, etc. ... they just don't compare.

Even if you have the exact same settings, you only get a real skill difference once you have played quite a few games. 100 with the same person, sure. !00 with different people on different maps.. no way!
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Training Achievement (1)

Re: Fair Games between Ranks

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:37 pm

i think it s a very good idea.
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Postby anonymus on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I will say that an option for low ranked, new players to exclude established players probably has few drawbacks -- if you want to play your first few games against low rankers until you get the hang of it, you should be able to do so. We just won't implement an option where it's available to everyone for any game.

perfect compromise!
lowranks/newbies are protected from evil predators and the paying customers of this site still don't get what they want/have been suggesting for years.. everyone happy!

implement ASAP!

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Captain anonymus

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (17) General Achievement (11)
Clan Achievement (18) Training Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (6)

Postby gordon1975 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 pm

just join games last,then you play whatever rank you want,problem solved. TRA DA!!
God can judge my enemies, i will arrange the meeting.
Lieutenant gordon1975

Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)

Postby Qwert on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:55 pm

you have option called >private games<, there you can create game,and invite all low ranks for you.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 77
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (6)
Training Achievement (2) Map Contribution (8) Tournament Contribution (22) General Contribution (4)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:02 pm

socxc9 wrote:Concise description:
How nice, do you think, is it when you see a game that looks like this? The cadet is crossed out and the field marshal has won the game. Fair? I don't think so. The field marshal has no business fighting cadets and the cadet has no business losing points. I propose that, as part of the "Start a Game" form, a range of ranks can be put in to help cadets fight cadets, and field marshals fight field marshals.

You assume rank equals skill. It doesn't unless you stick to the same types of maps, the same style. (same spoils option, same game type, etc.)

Beyond that, poorer players playing good players is a way to learn. If you only play people who are your equal or worse, how will you ever improve?

That said, I have advocated some kind of very broad limits, optional, in suggestions. So have other people. These suggestions have always been turned down. I suggest you go back and look at those threads for the reasons.
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Training Achievement (1)

Postby perchorin on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:11 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
socxc9 wrote:Concise description:
How nice, do you think, is it when you see a game that looks like this? The cadet is crossed out and the field marshal has won the game. Fair? I don't think so. The field marshal has no business fighting cadets and the cadet has no business losing points. I propose that, as part of the "Start a Game" form, a range of ranks can be put in to help cadets fight cadets, and field marshals fight field marshals.

You assume rank equals skill. It doesn't unless you stick to the same types of maps, the same style. (same spoils option, same game type, etc.)

Beyond that, poorer players playing good players is a way to learn. If you only play people who are your equal or worse, how will you ever improve?

That said, I have advocated some kind of very broad limits, optional, in suggestions. So have other people. These suggestions have always been turned down. I suggest you go back and look at those threads for the reasons.

well said!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Medals: 118
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:56 am

Rank restrictions are pointless precisely because rank does not reflect skill accurately.

That said, if it's something a majority of players want, it should be implemented. I mean, you can already create private games, and you can already choose who you play against, so giving people the option to create rank-restricted games probably wouldn't mean that all the games would suddenly become rank-restricted. There would still be people who would create games that are open to everyone, just like there are still public games even though you can create private ones.

Hm, maybe the rank-restriction option should be restricted to premium players, like private games are now.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby rhp 1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 pm

i can't take this crap anymore... start a game someone joins... If they suck, beat em down... if you can't then you have no reason to complain in the first place....
Major rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby wildwilliam on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:43 pm

You could use the callouts forum. Create a private game and only give the password to people you want to play.
Corporal wildwilliam

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions