Conquer Club

bias in mafia

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

bias in mafia

Postby strike wolf on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm

1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

2. The accusation bias: the idea that the person voting/accusing you is scum.

Someone else please add on/elaborate. I did this very quickly so I know I missed a lot.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Re: bias in mafia

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:25 pm

3. Noob Bias: Whenever a newer player joins a game, usually gets picked on for very obvious scumtells even if they don't know what they're doing is scummy.

4. Mod Bias: If a mod is perceived as being particularly fond crazy/unbalanced setups, players tend to be more receptive to convoluted theories over the most simple ones. Can work in reverse if mod is perceived as being balanced in setup.

5. Activity Bias: Any player who posts regularly will generally be looked upon as more townish than the player who posts less frequently.
Captain safariguy5

Postby nagerous on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:32 pm

6. The attack the noob from an experienced player bias - whenever a player of experience seems to be picking on a new player he is instantly accused of being scum for going for a 'easy lynch' (happens to me a lot)
Captain nagerous

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:18 pm

nagerous wrote:6. The attack the noob from an experienced player bias - whenever a player of experience seems to be picking on a new player he is instantly accused of being scum for going for a 'easy lynch' (happens to me a lot)

Only when Fir is around it seems.
Captain safariguy5

Postby strike wolf on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

nagerous wrote:6. The attack the noob from an experienced player bias - whenever a player of experience seems to be picking on a new player he is instantly accused of being scum for going for a 'easy lynch' (happens to me a lot)

perhaps we can shorten this to the Nagerous Bias then? ;)

7. THe long post bias-the idea that because a post is long it is more relevant to game play (It does usually hold true but a lot of these hold true in many circumstances).
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:04 am

8. confirmation bias: this one's actually one I'm studying in Psychology currently. It's the tendency for someone to change scenarios and twist evidence into a form that fits their perception of what is happening.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:41 am

strike wolf wrote:1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

Funny story:
The other night I was the narrator for a RL mafia game that was going on in my dorm (I have corrupted a bunch of people and gotten them hooked). There was a vig who was damn sure he knew who the godfather was N1. Despite his campaigning, he couldn't get enough support from the town to get the lynch. So he ended up killing himself N4 to make the godfather look suspicious. It worked and the godfather was lynched D5. :lol: Funniest thing I have ever seen.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby safariguy5 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 am

strike wolf wrote:8. confirmation bias: this one's actually one I'm studying in Psychology currently. It's the tendency for someone to change scenarios and twist evidence into a form that fits their perception of what is happening.

Also the reason why nobody ever wins any debate we have in the OT forum.
Captain safariguy5

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:19 pm

9. Role bias - when the role that you are playing effects what you do and think during the game
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby strike wolf on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:1. The right-wrong bias: the thought process that sometimes forms when one person campaigns heavily for one case on a person and the accused dies as town then the person who campaigned for his lynch is more likely scum. Or if the accuser dies then the accused is that much more likely to be scum.

Funny story:
The other night I was the narrator for a RL mafia game that was going on in my dorm (I have corrupted a bunch of people and gotten them hooked). There was a vig who was damn sure he knew who the godfather was N1. Despite his campaigning, he couldn't get enough support from the town to get the lynch. So he ended up killing himself N4 to make the godfather look suspicious. It worked and the godfather was lynched D5. :lol: Funniest thing I have ever seen.

I've got to admit...that move may be genius.

10. Agreement bias: the concept that someone who agrees with you is more likely town.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:47 pm

strike wolf wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

It worked there because they are all fairly new at this. Unfortunately, if one of our players did it we would all just dismiss it as WIFOM and disregard the whole thing.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby zimmah on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

that's smart, funny and risky at the same time.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:57 pm

strike wolf wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

10. Agreement bias: the concept that someone who agrees with you is more likely town.

simular to this:

11. bandwagon bias: a lot of players are voting him, so he must be scum right?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby zimmah on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

It worked there because they are all fairly new at this. Unfortunately, if one of our players did it we would all just dismiss it as WIFOM and disregard the whole thing.

12. WIFOM bias. if it can be considered WIFOM, it is WIFOM. to the extreme.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby strike wolf on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
strike wolf wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

I don't know. It still seems to come up way too often and at least gets people thinking about the guy.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:30 pm

13. Meta/Past bias: When a player is acting dissimilar to the way they behaved in previous games.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

And this is awesome:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:

Funny story:

:lol:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby safariguy5 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:16 pm

14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.
Captain safariguy5

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 am

safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm

safariguy5 wrote:14. Veteran Nightkill Bias: Veteran players tend to be targeted for nightkills early on before they can really get down to scumhunting. The fear is they got a read on a mafia player and will pursue the lead aggressively unless silenced early.

You should call this the nagerous, esp. when it's N1.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby strike wolf on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:59 pm

strike wolf wrote:

perhaps we can shorten this to the Nagerous Bias then? ;)

7. THe long post bias-the idea that because a post is long it is more relevant to game play (It does usually hold true but a lot of these hold true in many circumstances).

Cadet strike wolf

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I think nagerous should have his own entire set of biases :lol:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby zimmah on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

MeDeFe wrote:

Then the surviving veterans are likely to be scum and get lynched.

that is n fact a good point.

any surviving veterans that made it through n5 or so should be lynched for this reason alone. :lol:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby strike wolf on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Well not exactly usually by night 2 or 3 mafia are more informed and have a better idea of who to target than just veterans. So really if a veteran survives n1 as town their chances of surviving until end game increase dramatically.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I think nagerous should have his own entire set of biases :lol:

-Sully

His biases would probably have corollaries like:

If nagerous and Fircoal are both in the same game, nagerous will attack a noob if there is one and Fir will defend the noob.

If nagerous and mandy are both in the same game, expect nagerous to warn everyone that mandy makes a lot of convoluted theories.
Captain safariguy5

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions