Conquer Club

Disable Game Chat: No Diplomacy or Fog Reveals

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: NO DEAL BUTTON

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Wow, this idea sucks. The site was designed, and it seems to have been made clear many times, to encourage social interaction. Turn off the chat, well... you get the idea. I certainly wouldn't join. :lol:
Captain Mr_Adams

Make In-Game Chat an Option

Postby GreecePwns on Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 am

Concise description:
  • Give the game creator the option to turn the chatbox on/off

Specifics/Details:
  • This option would be listed when a player creates a game and, when turned off, the chat box would be only available for notes to self

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
      • In Fog of War games, players who are against giving away positions (some are, some aren't) can make that impossible
      • In all games, players who are against diplomacy altogether can make that impossible
      • In tournaments, an organizer can use this function to fit a certain tournament theme
      • Who doesn't like more options?
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Re: Make In-Game Chat an Option

Postby TheFissk on Sun May 08, 2011 5:04 pm

i like chatting however i see the validity of your point i think it is a easy to do OPTION
i'm not lost just exploring alternate destinations

Optimist invented the airplane, pessimists invented the parachute

I'm to good for victory
Private 1st Class TheFissk

Re: Make In-Game Chat an Option

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun May 08, 2011 5:36 pm

GreecePwns wrote:Concise description:
  • Give the game creator the option to turn the chatbox on/off

Specifics/Details:
  • This option would be listed when a player creates a game and, when turned off, the chat box would be only available for notes to self

• In Fog of War games, players who are against giving away positions (some are, some aren't) can make that impossible
      • In all games, players who are against diplomacy altogether can make that impossible
      • In tournaments, an organizer can use this function to fit a certain tournament theme
      • Who doesn't like more options?

This has been suggested before, and rejected before. This will only make users use Secret Diplomacy more-so. If you want a game where there is no Diplomacy, consider joining the Lone Rangers usergroup.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Game setting: Disable Game Chat

Postby Demen on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Hello there,
I have attempted to find similar suggestions without any luck and I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place or duplicates prior discussion.

Concise description:
  • Proposed new game setting: Game Chat Y/N (ability to disable game chat)

Specifics/Details:
  • New option on the Start A Game page that has radio buttons for Yes or No against an option labelled Game Chat
  • This would allow users to set up games with the Game Chat disabled.

• Reduce the ability for players to use diplomacy.
  • Reduce the ability for players and teams to form alliances.
  • Reduce the ability for players to disclose strategic information.
  • Reduce the ability for teams to rely on a single player.
  • Encourage teams who play at a similar level or in a similar style.
  • Encourage players to base their game on strategy and deduction.
  • It is also hoped that because this is a reduction of functionality as oppose to additional functionality, it should be relatively straight forward to implement.
  • Finally as the proposal is for an game 'option' that may or may not be utilised by players, it is hoped that this functionality is:
    a) unlikely to cause offence to those who are happy with the existing format
    b) likely to add a new dimension for others
    c) resolve a variety of issues with game dynamics for some.
Colonel Demen

Re: Game setting: Disable Game Chat

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Why would any person who wants to win a team game, want to ignore communication with his/her teammates?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby spiesr on Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Why would any person who wants to win a team game, want to ignore communication with his/her teammates?
Why would anyone playing a team game on this setting not simply use other methods of communication such a pms? To the OP, since your idea appears to be that games of this type would ban communication between players, even if they are on the same team, how would you recommend enforcing the rules against team mates who pm/email/talk to each other?
Captain spiesr

Postby jghost7 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Wouldn't be too bad if it were 'disable open chat' where it just disabled chat from opposing players and kept the team chat in team games. it wouldn't matter for standard games.

spiesr wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:Why would any person who wants to win a team game, want to ignore communication with his/her teammates?
Why would anyone playing a team game on this setting not simply use other methods of communication such a pms? To the OP, since your idea appears to be that games of this type would ban communication between players, even if they are on the same team, how would you recommend enforcing the rules against team mates who pm/email/talk to each other?

no, i don't think he is suggesting a rule change, just an option that closes the chat box, so no enforcing necessary. I would be ok with this as long as team chat remained.
Major jghost7

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:05 pm

spiesr wrote:

I think the OP is suggesting that people will want to do team games without conversing with their teammate (?) and not having a game chat makes this easier to do.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby jghost7 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
spiesr wrote:

I think the OP is suggesting that people will want to do team games without conversing with their teammate (?) and not having a game chat makes this easier to do.

LOL, yeah, I was purposely ignoring that....dang it Max!....lol

Minus the team portion, it is ok. It would be ludicrous to assume that a team game would be played with no chat. Even if this option somehow passes with the teamchat removed, they will still likely chat using some of the previously mentioned options. Great for standard games, and speed games. If it is not an option to allow teamchat while regular chat is disabled, then I would probably just set it as an option for standard games only.
Major jghost7

Postby spiesr on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I think the OP is suggesting that people will want to do team games without conversing with their teammate (?) and not having a game chat makes this easier to do.
But wouldn't those people presumably want their opponents to be held to the same restriction? And won't some people want to gain an advantage by communicating with their teammates anyway? An actual ban between players would be like Secret Diplomacy, easy to circumvent, impossible to enforce, only more so...
Captain spiesr

Postby jghost7 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:28 pm

spiesr wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:I think the OP is suggesting that people will want to do team games without conversing with their teammate (?) and not having a game chat makes this easier to do.
But wouldn't those people presumably want their opponents to be held to the same restriction? And won't some people want to gain an advantage by communicating with their teammates anyway? An actual ban between players would be like Secret Diplomacy, easy to circumvent, impossible to enforce, only more so...

lol, yes, and that is what I said earlier, besides, it would only be an added setting, no new rule would be created for that setting.
Major jghost7

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:44 pm

All this will cause, in my opinion, is people trying harder for Diplomacy.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby northeastern on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I think its a great idea. :D :D
Corporal 1st Class northeastern

Postby jfktolax on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Team have to be able to talk to each other.

Maybe in games like Assassin or Terminator or Fog of War games where information is at a premium a 'filter' could be used. By filter I mean certain words (like the names of territories) would never show up in text chats, or numbers.

This might have been off on a tangent.

Please don't take the human aspect of verbal warfare out of this game. No talk would take us even further away from the physical board game around the kitchen table we grew up on.

That might have just aged me.

Peace
Major jfktolax

Postby Virtuouz on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:41 pm

This is a retarded idea. Fail.
Private Virtuouz

Postby Bostonguitah on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 am

I'm on board 100% for this. I hate getting jammed midway through the game by someone who feels like they get everyone to attack me simply because I have a bonus region. "That Guy" just ends up giving the game away to some major anyway. Disabling the chat would keep my blood pressure down considerably
Captain Bostonguitah

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:14 am

This is just going to force more secret diplomacy.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Jono77 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Gets my vote, I wish there was an option to remove chat.

I've not played a lot on this site but played a lot on others.
Pretty much all my games I've played here have ended up with someone having a paddy and spoiling the game through chat.
Either someone anouncing they'll spoil your game, giving away your army locations or instagating a 3vs1 becuase I'm doing better than they are.

Personally I cannot stand getting the upper hand in a game then having everyone turn on me, it ruins the game, it lacks stratergy.
I'm not interested in alliances, truces and small talk.
Some people might like diplomacy, fine, they can have the option to keep the chat.

Yes comms will still happen via PMs, but if there was a 'disable chat' function I'd use it all the time.
Cadet Jono77

Postby chapcrap on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Jono77 wrote:Gets my vote, I wish there was an option to remove chat.

Foe everyone you play with.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Option to disable chat when creating a game

Postby Roussallier on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Concise description:
Option when you're creating a game to disable game chat or limit it to a few pre-programmed phrases such as "good luck," "good game"

• ends the debate if it's okay to reveal fog of war information
  • basically it's a "turn off diplomacy" button
  • sometimes you get tired of hearing noobs complain that they're under attack
Major Roussallier

Re: Option to disable chat when creating a game

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:39 am

Roussallier wrote:Concise description:
Option when you're creating a game to disable game chat or limit it to a few pre-programmed phrases such as "good luck," "good game"

This will just cause more people to more than likely use Secret Diplomacy to create Truces.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:09 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Roussallier wrote:Concise description:

This will just cause more people to more than likely use Secret Diplomacy to create Truces.

Agreed with TFO on this one. There is no reason you have to look at the chat. When I am not playing a team game, I rarely look at the chat.
Last edited by chapcrap on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:20 am

Who is this Seb you speak of?
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:Who is this Seb you speak of?

Err... I said TFO. :oops:
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions