Conquer Club

Patch Wars [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Quilt Wars [21.Oct.11] - V4 - p1&3

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:58 am

DiM wrote:
ender516 wrote:It seems obvious to me, but should the map state that buttons are impassables?

i guess i could add them on the legend. does anybody else have this concern? :-s

It is pretty obvious that you cannot go over them, but for newbie players, it might be wise to add it.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby zimmah on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 am

koontz1973 wrote:
DiM wrote:
ender516 wrote:It seems obvious to me, but should the map state that buttons are impassables?

i guess i could add them on the legend. does anybody else have this concern? :-s

It is pretty obvious that you cannot go over them, but for newbie players, it might be wise to add it.

seeing as a lot of people didn't understand the bonus system in steamworks, i wouldn't take the risk. some maps even state rivers and mountains are impassables.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:23 am

vacation please
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:54 pm

pretty please... 8-[
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:11 pm

[MOVED] per request.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: [Vacation - valid untill Apr 2012] - Quilt Wars

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 pm

P.S. Lackattack stumbled across this map, and said he loved it.

I love it too. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:46 am

Yeah, it a shame to see this map into the bin. THIS IS exactly the "not classical looking" maps I'd like to see.

It has a nice layout and a fun theme, a new,fresh look for a map.
It looks different but without going in the crazy / nonsense/ foolish maps area.

I would say that I think this map should be developed and also that many mapmakers (old and new) should look at it if they want to develope something new or different, without trying to develope stupid ideas.

Really DiM, you should continue this one. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:49 am

AndyDufresne wrote:P.S. Lackattack stumbled across this map, and said he loved it.

I love it too. :D

--Andy

You should get lackattack to convince him to work on this map :mrgreen:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:46 am

V5:
*added impassables in the legend

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:47 am

YAY!!! :D

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Quilt Wars [23.Nov.11] - V5 - p1&4

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome back! :)

[Moved]
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:37 am

Glad to see this back in production. I'm pretty satisfied with most of the elements.

I noticed all the Bonus Zone Icons (Teddy, Zorg, Froggy, etc), are all towards the interior of their respective bonus zone (I.E. not on a border), except for Casper (probably because there is a little any room on Billy or Bob). I don't think this is much of an issue though, but if anyone else has any comments on it, I thought I'd mention it.

Is the 'border stitch' on Ian different than Swoosh and Bruce?

Keep up the good work.

--Andy

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 am

each quilt patch has it's own outer border stitch style. but since they overlap some continents might look like they have multiple border styles.
this is best seen on ian. where you can see 2 outer borders, one double line belonging to the chick continent and one criss-cross belonging to the teddy continent.
this happens because in that particular area froggy is overlapped by the chick patch which is in turn overlapped by teddy.
Major DiM

Postby Flapcake on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

In my opinion, (I suppose the bonus areas should be named according to xml)

I think there should be names under the figures in the legend, then the bonus arears could have the same name, bonus area "Zorg" ect.
so could the figure, the name and patch stand in vertical rows.

just my thought / comment for now :)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 am

Flapcake wrote:In my opinion, (I suppose the bonus areas should be named according to xml)

I think there should be names under the figures in the legend, then the bonus arears could have the same name, bonus area "Zorg" ect.
so could the figure, the name and patch stand in vertical rows.

just my thought / comment for now :)

unfortunately i just don't have the space to do that. i don't think the continent names need to be present on the legend as the colours are enough to tell them apart. in fact i think none of my maps have continent names in the legend.
of course in the xml they will be named something like Zorg's Quilt, Chick's Quilt... and so on.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:54 am

Hey kids! It's your old pal Sully! And guess what I brought...! Who wants gummy bears? :D ... Alright, now that you kids have got your candy, you know what time it is? That's right!

It's time to play...

Sully's Gameplay Extraordinaire!
  • Round 1: Sully's Bonus Breakdown
    • Froggy: 3 borders + 3 (additional) regions = +3
    • Chick: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Zorg: 4 borders + 5 regions = +5
    • Fluffy: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Foxy: 2 borders + 5 regions = +2
    • Teddy: 6 borders + 4 regions + central location = +8
    • Anty: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Quacky: 4 borders + 4 regions = +5
    • Octi: 3 borders + 6 regions = +4
    • Casper: 3 borders + 3 regions = +3
  • Round 2: General Gameplay Suggestions
    • The objective is far too difficult to be a feasible route of winning. I'd lower it to at highest 8, but it could go down to 6, even.
    • To clarify, is it +1 per critter, or +1 for holding at least 1 critter?
    • Casper, as Andy mentioned, would best be moved to Bob or Jim. Eustace is rather large, so you could probably take some space from 'him'.
    • I think that you should consider combining the cars and planes, so that any corner can attack any other corner. Movement around the map will be important, since the objective pieces are all over.
  • Round 3: The Other Stuff
    • The army boxes really don't fit IMO. I really think it would look loads better with the army numbers directly on the 'fabric'.
    • The buttons look very cut-and-paste (for obvious reasons - they're the same image!), though it is rather well-disguised with so many of them. I think what would help further would be to rotate the repeats to help them look more dissimilar.
    • Many of the critters don't appear to have a texture, making them look very flat in comparison to the well-textured fabric beneath.
Well, that's all for today, kids! It's all right, though, I'll be back :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:38 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Sully's Gameplay Extraordinaire!
  • Round 1: Sully's Bonus Breakdown
    • Froggy: 3 borders + 3 (additional) regions = +3
    • Chick: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Zorg: 4 borders + 5 regions = +5
    • Fluffy: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Foxy: 2 borders + 5 regions = +2
    • Teddy: 6 borders + 4 regions + central location = +8
    • Anty: 3 borders + 2 regions = +3
    • Quacky: 4 borders + 4 regions = +5
    • Octi: 3 borders + 6 regions = +4
    • Casper: 3 borders + 3 regions = +3

will change

Victor Sullivan wrote:
  • Round 2: General Gameplay Suggestions
    • The objective is far too difficult to be a feasible route of winning. I'd lower it to at highest 8, but it could go down to 6, even.
    • Casper, as Andy mentioned, would best be moved to Bob or Jim. Eustace is rather large, so you could probably take some space from 'him'.
    • I think that you should consider combining the cars and planes, so that any corner can attack any other corner. Movement around the map will be important, since the objective pieces are all over.

• the main reason i said one should hold all of them is that i wanted those terits to be distributed at the start. but i guess i could lower the number to holding just 6 and make the terits start as neutral 3.

it's +1 per critter.

i will change casper.

i'll change how the cars/planes work.

Victor Sullivan wrote:
  • Round 3: The Other Stuff
    • The army boxes really don't fit IMO. I really think it would look loads better with the army numbers directly on the 'fabric'.
    • The buttons look very cut-and-paste (for obvious reasons - they're the same image!), though it is rather well-disguised with so many of them. I think what would help further would be to rotate the repeats to help them look more dissimilar.
    • Many of the critters don't appear to have a texture, making them look very flat in comparison to the well-textured fabric beneath.
  • Well, that's all for today, kids! It's all right, though, I'll be back :)

-Sully

i'm afraid the army numbers would be very hard to see on most "fabrics", that's why i made the army boxes.

well i could easily rotate them or perhaps even try to find a unique button for each position but the thing is that it's more realistic like it is now. if you take a box of buttons you're probably going to find many duplicates/triplicates. in fact you'll probably even find whole sets of 6-8 buttons.

the critters are supposed to be made of paper. like a kid took some pieces of coloured paper and cut them out. now some papers have a certain texture but most of them are plain and smooth and just the colour differs.
    Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 am

V6:
    *made cars and planes connect
    *adjusted the win condition
    *adjusted bonuses
    *moved casper

Click image to enlarge.
    Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 am

DiM wrote:
    Victor Sullivan wrote:[*]Round 2: General Gameplay Suggestions

the main reason i said one should hold all of them is that i wanted those terits to be distributed at the start. but i guess i could lower the number to holding just 6 and make the terits start as neutral 3.

I think you could easily combine them both. Set each as a starting position, set your position max at 3 and you're golden.

DiM wrote:it's +1 per critter.

Ah, okay. You'll have to clarify that in your legend at the top, then. Though I must say, I think I was more fond of the other assumption I made, as it wouldn't inflate every bonus area, and it would balance 1v1s better, giving the first player less of an advantage (since he wouldn't be able to deprive his opponent of a +1 in a few lucky rolls). Either way, the starting positions would likely have to be set with a starting troop count of, say, 5, to ensure that everyone gets to cash in on their starting +1 (unless, of course, you're playing with a bunch of bungholes that hate you, in which case just FAMO).

DiM wrote:
    Victor Sullivan wrote:[*]Round 3: The Other Stuff
    [/list]
    Well, that's all for today, kids! It's all right, though, I'll be back :)

-Sully

i'm afraid the army numbers would be very hard to see on most "fabrics", that's why i made the army boxes.

Oh, really? That's a shame. Have you tested the numbers with them straight on the 'fabric'?

DiM wrote:well i could easily rotate them or perhaps even try to find a unique button for each position but the thing is that it's more realistic like it is now. if you take a box of buttons you're probably going to find many duplicates/triplicates. in fact you'll probably even find whole sets of 6-8 buttons.

Oh, I totally agree. I don't mean to say make each individual button different, I just mean that if a box of buttons spilled out on a quilt, they wouldn't all align the same, if that makes sense.

DiM wrote:the critters are supposed to be made of paper. like a kid took some pieces of coloured paper and cut them out. now some papers have a certain texture but most of them are plain and smooth and just the colour differs.

Ahhh, okay. Hm, I wonder if there's a way to make that more apparent? *shrugs*

-Sully
    Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Quilt Wars [27.Nov.11] - V6 - p1&5

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 am

I thought the critters and other items were "felt pieces:"

Otherwise, I think things look pretty good. Maybe change "get any 6" to "hold any 6" if you are keeping this idea over the harder/larger objective.

Best of luck,

--Andy

Postby zimmah on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:30 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I thought the critters and other items were "felt pieces:"

Otherwise, I think things look pretty good. Maybe change "get any 6" to "hold any 6" if you are keeping this idea over the harder/larger objective.

Best of luck,

--Andy

yes, i thought that too, felt would make more sense..
    Click image to enlarge.
    Major zimmah

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

This map is growing on me.

I do find it a bit difficult to read the territory names with the diagonal lines of "Teddy's" bonus. Not sure what you could do to improve that though. Its not impossible to read at this size, but I imagine the small will be really tough.

It still sort of bothers me that this is called Quilt Wars (you don't actually use buttons on quilts), but I'm probably the only person on the site who knows the difference. :)
    Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:43 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:This map is growing on me.

good

lostatlimbo wrote:I do find it a bit difficult to read the territory names with the diagonal lines of "Teddy's" bonus. Not sure what you could do to improve that though. Its not impossible to read at this size, but I imagine the small will be really tough.

i'll see what i can do about this issue to improve readability.

lostatlimbo wrote:It still sort of bothers me that this is called Quilt Wars (you don't actually use buttons on quilts), but I'm probably the only person on the site who knows the difference. :)

don't know if i already said this but the idea for the map came when my girl got a box of buttons on a quilt we have on the bed and started arranging them in a worm like shape. i thought to myself this could be a map so i did it.
    so basically it's about a few kids that cut out some paper toys get some buttons and some pieces of quit and make a map to play on.
    Major DiM

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 pm

DiM wrote:don't know if i already said this but the idea for the map came when my girl got a box of buttons on a quilt we have on the bed and started arranging them in a worm like shape. i thought to myself this could be a map so i did it.
    so basically it's about a few kids that cut out some paper toys get some buttons and some pieces of quit and make a map to play on.

Don't get me wrong, its a cute idea and I don't think the name hurts it. One of the companies I work for sells quilt supplies, so I just know a little more about them than I generally like to admit!

I like that your map names are a bit more creative than the average fare (like the All Your Bases... despite all the flack you got for it).
    Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Re: Quilt Wars [18.Oct.11] - V3 - p1&2

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:27 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:
    DiM wrote:don't know if i already said this but the idea for the map came when my girl got a box of buttons on a quilt we have on the bed and started arranging them in a worm like shape. i thought to myself this could be a map so i did it.

Don't get me wrong, its a cute idea and I don't think the name hurts it. One of the companies I work for sells quilt supplies, so I just know a little more about them than I generally like to admit!

I like that your map names are a bit more creative than the average fare (like the All Your Bases... despite all the flack you got for it).

AndyDufresne wrote:'Quilt-ageddon'
    'Quilt-astrophe'
    'Quilt-alpyse'

:D

--Andy

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas