Conquer Club

Game Log Optional

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Game Log Optional

Postby murphy16 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Due to this bug that is going on right now with the game log not showing up, it has brought up a brilliant idea in one of my games. In Game 10179645, TheGeneral2112 brought up this idea.

Concise description:
  • Having the ability to choose weather you want a game log or not.

Specifics/Details:
  • A new gaming option.
    Would look something like this in the Start A Game:
    Fog Of War: No Yes Extreme.....or
    Sight of Maps: Sunny Fog Of War Heavy Fog....
    Just 2 examples of how to give the choice.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Adds onto the fog of war idea. Make to be like a real life Sniper!
Last edited by murphy16 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class murphy16

Re: Game Log Optional

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Also, this is implemented on warlight.net. It makes for a great game type. It is called heavy fog, I think, on warlight. At least similar to the heavy fog option.
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 pm

I feel like it may make the MHs' jobs a bit more difficult, no?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby murphy16 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 pm

If they are good at what they do then yes, it may be difficult but they should be able to do it. Just saying....

Postby Geger on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:10 pm

NO

Too many advantages for player, who can watch the moves. I think nobody want to refresh the map all the time
Major Geger

Postby murphy16 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 pm

That's the point of it being like a real FOR OF WAR, you can never track your opponent 100% of the time.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:07 am

murphy16 wrote:If they are good at what they do then yes, it may be difficult but they should be able to do it. Just saying....

And how are they supposed to process Secret Diplomacy cases if they can't read the log?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Herbas on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 am

I think this would turn games into a complete lottery.
I wonder where our skill would be tested in such games when we even don't have any ideas who is the largest or how much everyone gets.
Colonel Herbas

Postby Ickyketseddie on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
murphy16 wrote:If they are good at what they do then yes, it may be difficult but they should be able to do it. Just saying....

And how are they supposed to process Secret Diplomacy cases if they can't read the log?

You could have a log in the backround for the mods, just not displayed?

I dont think its a terrible idea.. probably not a game mode that'd interest me personally, but i can see alot of people would like it.

@ Herbas - You can argue similar things about Flat rate spoils regarding skill to a certain extent.

I think some people would really like it so would it enhance the site? Yeah probably. Just dont let new recruits play it.
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby murphy16 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:48 am

Thank you for finally supporting me and this idea rather than bashing it.

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 am

I think this was posted before a few weeks (or months) ago.

I'm not sure if I'm for or against it. It certainly helps stronger players in FOW, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and people will definitely look to wall-ing or PM-ing to call out stacks/truces.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Ickyketseddie on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:37 am

Army of GOD wrote:I think this was posted before a few weeks (or months) ago.

I'm not sure if I'm for or against it. It certainly helps stronger players in FOW, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and people will definitely look to wall-ing or PM-ing to call out stacks/truces.

Then these people are cheaters and deserve to be caught and punished. I dont see why that should count against a idea. Thats no different to SD in any foggy game.

I'm suprised there not been more support for this tbh.
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:24 am

It would be hard to prove someone shared info via PM though. It's easier with an SD case, because, it's possible to see it through the log (For players). Plus, i think this would give BoB users a BIGGER advantage then they already have, because they can tell what they lost easily, if you're a user who plays from an iPod/mobile device or a browser without the Add-on, it becomes exponentially harder because you may not exactly remember where all your territories were. At least with Bob you can tell exactly which territories you lost.

And Herbas has a point, once you get big enough, you are almost unstoppable unless someone called you out in the chat. I've played with enough quiet people to know it happens. At least with the game log you can tell if someone is getting big. Without it, well, you depend on the other players as much as yourself.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Ickyketseddie on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 am

Again I dont think BoB should come into this either. Its a tool that the site allows and promotes? Plus Calling out people in game chat is allowed even if not always that sporting?

The difference is someone could be getting huge and start sweeping through the map only to find someone has stacked since turn 1 and has a collosus ready to turn the tables for example? I still think the idea has merit.. Althought i maintain i personnaly probably wouldnt play it! Lol.

Murphy - Were you thinking of removing spoils and territ info too? Otherwise with the above point you could see when someone starts to spread and get large to a extent?
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby QoH on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 am

No. No no no.

Part of skill, especially on a map like AOR, is all about your ability to read the log. The biggest part of being good at AOR is your ability to read the log.
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Geger on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 am

Just imagine, in a casual no fog game there are a player, who can login only 1 or 2 times a day (see CC-Homepage), and another player, who is online almost a full day (so he can see the map after everybody's moves).

Who will win??
Major Geger

Postby Ickyketseddie on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 am

@ QOH - Very true... i hadn't thought about some of the maps and how it'd effect them. Althought you have to say its not like every game mode suits every map now?
Captain Ickyketseddie

Postby murphy16 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 am

Ickyketseddie wrote:Again I dont think BoB should come into this either. Its a tool that the site allows and promotes? Plus Calling out people in game chat is allowed even if not always that sporting?

The difference is someone could be getting huge and start sweeping through the map only to find someone has stacked since turn 1 and has a collosus ready to turn the tables for example? I still think the idea has merit.. Althought i maintain i personnaly probably wouldnt play it! Lol.

Murphy - Were you thinking of removing spoils and territ info too? Otherwise with the above point you could see when someone starts to spread and get large to a extent?

I'm talking about keeping it just as the glitch was, no game log, but yes everyone can see how many spoils and regions each player has, with troops and troops due still hidden as well. Nothing is being changed except for the view of game log.
Last edited by murphy16 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby murphy16 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am

QoH wrote:No. No no no.

Part of skill, especially on a map like AOR, is all about your ability to read the log. The biggest part of being good at AOR is your ability to read the log.

Okay this is why it is a game OPTION, if you don't want to use it then don't, however there could be plenty of people who don't read these forums but would play it. The only purpose of this OPTION is to enhance the sight, just as FOW has done. You wanna play with a game log the don't select this new option, plain and simple! So I don't see why you would try to shoot it down because you use the game log to play.

Honestly there really is no valid reason to shoot this idea down, you don't want to play with it, then don't select it as an option.

@ Geger - People stack all the time in regular FOW all the time and hide it, It's so easy to build a stack and use smaller stacks to take cards, still keeping your larger one hidden, so it really doesn't matter if your on all day or once or twice a day. If you fear your not going to like it then once again don't choose the option.

*Edit OP*

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Murphy has had a great rebuttal to all rejections offered so far. This idea really has merit.
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby Dako on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Log can be hidden for players only. MH should still be able to read the log and it will be a no brainer for SD. Also log can be revealed when the game has finished like it is now with normal fog.
Colonel Dako

Postby Dako on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Geger wrote:Just imagine, in a casual no fog game there are a player, who can login only 1 or 2 times a day (see CC-Homepage), and another player, who is online almost a full day (so he can see the map after everybody's moves).

Who will win??

It's like asking "who will win, better player or worse player". This mode is not about equality. Freestyle is not an equal mode though many people enjoy it here. If you can spend more time on a game then you should have benefits from it (at least in certain areas). Remember the MMORPGS - who plays more has more and so on. And yes, again, this is just an option. For skilled players. Yes.
Colonel Dako

Postby murphy16 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:26 am

Thank you Dako for the support and some inside from the Tech team. Given your input it makes the option much more open to being on the positive side!

Return to Archived Suggestions