Conquer Club

Missing Game Log Data

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Missing Game Log Data

Postby lackattack on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Unfortunately the game log stopped recording information for turns taken during a period of 4 hours last night, from CC Time: 2011-11-30 19:20:00 to CC Time: 2011-11-30 23:20:00. The game log data is gone for good and cannot be recovered. The problem stemmed from the fact that we recorded the 2,147,483,647th log entry last night and that is a magic number for computers - the maximum size of an integer in some cases.

The good news is that attacks, point exchanges etc. were all calculated and processed correctly. Your games were not corrupted even though the logs might seem to indicate something is fishy.

After the recording of game logs had been restored there was still a bug that sometimes caused game log entries to repeat themselves over and over. This is now fixed as well.

Please note that some community scripts may produce errors or miscalculations when used with games that are missing game log entries.

Thank you and best of luck with your conquest!
Sergeant lackattack

Re: Missing Game Log Data

Postby BunnRee on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Lack, I have one of those games 10174858 that keeps trying to load scripts.
PAY ATTENTION! Squirrels and Rabbit Holes happen all the time. So, be on the lookout for unanticipated amazement and joy!
Cook BunnRee

Postby sherkaner on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm

BunnRee wrote:Hi Lack, I have one of those games 10174858 that keeps trying to load scripts.

This is due to BOB, it always expects at least 1 line in the log (this hasn't happened before). Turn bob off for 1 turn (auto-bob off works), and you can turn it on again as soon as something is in the logs.

Btw, BOB won't be accurate about all stats now, but as soon as someone moved after the glitch, his stats should be correct again (except for possible missed turns).
Colonel sherkaner

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:12 am

lackattack wrote:Unfortunately the game log stopped recording information for turns taken during a period of 4 hours last night, from CC Time: 2011-11-30 19:20:00 to CC Time: 2011-11-30 23:20:00. The game log data is gone for good and cannot be recovered. The problem stemmed from the fact that we recorded the 2,147,483,647th log entry last night and that is a magic number for computers - the maximum size of an integer in some cases.

The good news is that attacks, point exchanges etc. were all calculated and processed correctly. Your games were not corrupted even though the logs might seem to indicate something is fishy.

After the recording of game logs had been restored there was still a bug that sometimes caused game log entries to repeat themselves over and over. This is now fixed as well.

Please note that some community scripts may produce errors or miscalculations when used with games that are missing game log entries.

Thank you and best of luck with your conquest!

Working on something this morning, I needed to know what the largest number is that can be stored in a 32-bit signed integer. A 10-digit number starting with "214". In other words, a Dallas phone number.

So, out of curiosity I Googled "214-748-3647" to see who has the number. After a handful of blogs noting the coincidence (and that it's a prime number), there are 1500+ websites with that phone number showing up. Why? Because some programmer somewhere didn't learn his lesson from Y2K, and decided to store phone numbers as a single integer instead of a string of characters, but only used 32 bits and didn't check for overflow. So any time someone enters a phone number that's larger than 2147483647, the system stores it as that Dallas number.

Somewhere in Dallas, some poor bastard is wondering why his phone rings off the hook with calls for the Nevada Division of Mental Health & Developmental Services, the Jackson County Florida Chamber of Commerce, a yacht club in New York, etc...

----Via ComputerWorld
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby sniffie on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 am

Lack probable stole those logs and gave them to Santa... so that Santa can we wheter we all behave or not :ugeek:

sniff
Corporal 1st Class sniffie

Postby lowbrow909 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks for the info on this. I noticed it happening in a few of my games and considered not taking my turn at that time since I couldn't see what my opponents had been doing.. but I can never stay away for long....
Major lowbrow909

Postby firsal901 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:49 am

well, hope this is the last of this kind of bug.

ever heard of the Unix 2038 bug?

*EDIT: after some web searching about the Unix 2038, the same integer that crashed the game logs will also reset the time from 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038 to some time in 1901 in computers. it WILL crash computers. kinda like Y2K.

They hate you as much as you hate them
Cook firsal901

Postby DogAlmighty on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Elmo9199 wrote:well, hope this is the last of this kind of bug.

ever heard of the Unix 2038 bug?

*EDIT: after some web searching about the Unix 2038, the same integer that crashed the game logs will also reset the time from 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038 to some time in 1901 in computers. it WILL crash computers. kinda like Y2K.

Do you really expect your PC to still be alive in the year 2038? If it is then it should be taken outside and shot.
Major DogAlmighty

Postby jefjef on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:13 pm

it WILL crash computers. kinda like Y2K.

I don't much remember comps doing the Y2K crash.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Juris on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:30 pm

That is simply not true. I eliminated an opponent and got his spoils and the next day the other opponent also eliminated him and got his spoils. I no longer had his spoils. I was involved in only two games at that time and planned the elimination carefully and effectively. There may be nothing you can do about what occurred -- I can believe that. But do NOT say that nothing went wrong in administering the play of any game. That is absolutely, positively incorrect.
Colonel Juris

Postby firsal901 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:53 pm

jefjef wrote:

That's because the bugs were FIXED. In the Unix 2038 problem, 32-bit computers will run out of integers. In Y2K, the computers simply misread the year 2000 as 1900.

I'm not scared of my comp crashing, I'm scared of old, Cold War era comps that haven't been updated capable of launching missiles. Like the following:

Mertvaya Ruka is a old Soviet computer that can launch nukes. From Cracked.com:

In America, that might be the name of a horror movie or a masturbation technique. In Russia, it is the name given to the giant border-wide robot installed around the city of Moscow whose only job is to kill you and everyone you've ever loved. The robot detected that a nuke had just been dropped. Ol' Dead Hand would run signals up to the silos to double check that nobody was responding. Upon confirming that the people with their finger on the doomsday button were dead (or on a piss break, whatever), the system automatically launched all the Soviet weapons at the United States. No talk. No getting permission. Not even engaging Jimmy Carter in a stern dressing down to see if you could get him to give you New York City. Mertvaya Ruka launched immediately, and cut out the middleman. And the first guy. And the last guy. It was a doomsday robot, is what we're saying here.

While the Russians are unsettlingly quiet on the matter today, the mysterious UVB-76 radio transmission is believed to be part of Mertvaya Ruka, so it is generally believed to still be active in Moscow.

See that? a doomsday robot might malfunction.

Cook firsal901

Postby AgentSmith88 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:29 am

Elmo9199 wrote:
jefjef wrote:

That's because the bugs were FIXED. In the Unix 2038 problem, 32-bit computers will run out of integers. In Y2K, the computers simply misread the year 2000 as 1900.

I'm not scared of my comp crashing, I'm scared of old, Cold War era comps that haven't been updated capable of launching missiles. Like the following:

Mertvaya Ruka is a old Soviet computer that can launch nukes. From Cracked.com:

In America, that might be the name of a horror movie or a masturbation technique. In Russia, it is the name given to the giant border-wide robot installed around the city of Moscow whose only job is to kill you and everyone you've ever loved. The robot detected that a nuke had just been dropped. Ol' Dead Hand would run signals up to the silos to double check that nobody was responding. Upon confirming that the people with their finger on the doomsday button were dead (or on a piss break, whatever), the system automatically launched all the Soviet weapons at the United States. No talk. No getting permission. Not even engaging Jimmy Carter in a stern dressing down to see if you could get him to give you New York City. Mertvaya Ruka launched immediately, and cut out the middleman. And the first guy. And the last guy. It was a doomsday robot, is what we're saying here.

While the Russians are unsettlingly quiet on the matter today, the mysterious UVB-76 radio transmission is believed to be part of Mertvaya Ruka, so it is generally believed to still be active in Moscow.

See that? a doomsday robot might malfunction.

I guess we know when the end of the world is actually coming then. I'll make sure I'm in a bunker somewhere in 2038 when the bombs drop. :?
king sam wrote:quit facebook stalking me... and Im a sailor all I do is drunk, cuss and make illegitimate kids when Im away from CC

dont sig that
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby firsal901 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:26 am

guys, i found out that now all data from that time period was deleted.

Evidence - http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=10137571

look for 2011-11-30 and you'll see data from 21:05:47 - 22:49:17, at the time the bug was in effect.

odd, huh :?

Cook firsal901

Postby denominator on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Elmo9199 wrote:guys, i found out that now all data from that time period was deleted.

Evidence - http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=10137571

look for 2011-11-30 and you'll see data from 21:05:47 - 22:49:17, at the time the bug was in effect.

odd, huh :?

I can only assume that you are talking about your timezone and not CC time, as I can't see any moves during the times you've specified.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby firsal901 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:06 am

hmm... i thought the times in the game logs are CC time. maybe they are GMT+8. :D

Cook firsal901

Postby sherkaner on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 am

They are in to the timezone you specified in your profile (Which means it's possible to display a time in your own timezone, and that is why I still wonder why CC time exists).
Colonel sherkaner

Postby esiemer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm

this glitch has ruined one of my most enjoyable games ever. we've been playing for over a year, and it has been tense, close, back-and-forth with none of the final 3 players able to gain advantage. then the glitch occurs in Round 163. we try to each skip a turn so that it is fair for the person we thought got skipped. this doesn't work, and then we learn the player was never skipped, but we can't see the log to determine what happened, and one player has come out strong enough to win now, after over a year of strategizing and near perfect gameplay, game 8284929 is going to end soon because of this glitch.

the only fair solution would be if there is some way to roll it back to the beginning of round 163.

i know there are bigger problems and injustices in the world, but this sucks.
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby blakebowling on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:45 pm

esiemer wrote:this glitch has ruined one of my most enjoyable games ever. we've been playing for over a year, and it has been tense, close, back-and-forth with none of the final 3 players able to gain advantage. then the glitch occurs in Round 163. we try to each skip a turn so that it is fair for the person we thought got skipped. this doesn't work, and then we learn the player was never skipped, but we can't see the log to determine what happened, and one player has come out strong enough to win now, after over a year of strategizing and near perfect gameplay, game 8284929 is going to end soon because of this glitch.

the only fair solution would be if there is some way to roll it back to the beginning of round 163.

i know there are bigger problems and injustices in the world, but this sucks.

Rolling games back isn't possible.
Private blakebowling

Postby esiemer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm

cool, thanks for the reply. i figured it probably wouldn't be possible, but it was worth a try.
bummer end to an epic game, but its still just a game, so i'll get over it.

thanks,
esiemer
Lieutenant esiemer

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:58 am

esiemer wrote:this glitch has ruined one of my most enjoyable games ever. we've been playing for over a year, and it has been tense, close, back-and-forth with none of the final 3 players able to gain advantage. then the glitch occurs in Round 163. we try to each skip a turn so that it is fair for the person we thought got skipped. this doesn't work, and then we learn the player was never skipped

No offense but this kinda sounds like it was your own fault.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Return to Announcement Archives