Conquer Club

Island of Doom

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Island of Doom [25.Nov.11] - V6 - p1&3

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Meh, I prefer the 2nd version, but it's your map...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby gimil on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Just to chip in my two cent...

I think both version are fine. Each is consistent and looks good
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:54 pm

gimil wrote:Just to chip in my two cent...

I think both version are fine. Each is consistent and looks good

cool.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:26 am

any gameplay concerns on this one?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 am

DiM wrote:any gameplay concerns on this one?

Of course, sweet pea. Let me just finish my write-up for Quilt Wars ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:32 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
DiM wrote:any gameplay concerns on this one?

Of course, sweet pea. Let me just finish my write-up for Quilt Wars ;)

-Sully

great.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:53 am

Whoa, last night was craaaazy, you think to yourself, clutching your throbbing forehead. Wait... What did happen last night? Images flash in your mind in no cohesive order, or none that you seem to grasp. Coloured numbers? More numbers, except these are on squares of green and white? Some weird-looking guy named "zimmah"? You finally resolve not to give a damn, cursing your former self for apparently drinking too much booze. You look around... Trees? Where am I? you ask yourself. You stand up and look around again. Oh, God, oh, God! It can't be! Not again! you think to yourself, as you realize you are stuck once again on...

Gameplay Island.
  • With regard to the objectives, it seems to me the Temple/Volcano objective seems much more feasible than the Antenna/Military Base objective. The temples are more defensible, since two of them only border one other territory (while the Inland Antenna borders 5 territories), they provide a supplement bonus to the village bonus (though small, it is certainly still worth going for, especially considering there aren't many bonuses to be had), and the Military Base is in an auto-decay zone, while the Volcano is more or less in a safe zone. I think a way to balance this out is make the Military Base an auto-deploy +1, connect Mutobe to Umanet, and connect Sukele to Zun or Ketro.
  • No two villages should be adjacent, and no village should be adjacent to a temple or antennae, thus, the village at Suracca should be moved to Qua. This also adds some to the southeast corner of the map that is devoid of villages.
  • Despite there not being any impassables per se, I like how you use connections that avoid going over things like mountains and rivers. Well, all except for the Inland-Leban connection. I think you should do away with it entirely and perhaps connect Leban to Cro, Sefo, or both. In addition, it bothers me that Nukiba only connects to Luutee, when I see no reason why it couldn't connect to Viroga or Burina.
  • The "red zone" is not explicitly specified as to what exactly it is. I think it would be best if you included it in the visual portion of the legend (with it's own fancy text color, perhaps). Also, more as a minor thing, the circle of X's seems rather misshapen. It bothers me. Idk why, though.
  • The script-y font is really bothering me for some reason. And it doesn't scream "doom" to me, especially compared to the title text.
It's a good thing you took that class on bamboo and coconut construction after the last time. The Professor was a bit kooky, but he knew what he was talking about! Hopefully you won't be on this forsaken rock too much longer...

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:16 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:With regard to the objectives, it seems to me the Temple/Volcano objective seems much more feasible than the Antenna/Military Base objective. The temples are more defensible, since two of them only border one other territory (while the Inland Antenna borders 5 territories), they provide a supplement bonus to the village bonus (though small, it is certainly still worth going for, especially considering there aren't many bonuses to be had), and the Military Base is in an auto-decay zone, while the Volcano is more or less in a safe zone. I think a way to balance this out is make the Military Base an auto-deploy +1, connect Mutobe to Umanet, and connect Sukele to Zun or Ketro.

military base will be give a +1 autodeploy. the connections however are on hold, read bellow.

Victor Sullivan wrote:No two villages should be adjacent, and no village should be adjacent to a temple or antennae, thus, the village at Suracca should be moved to Qua. This also adds some to the southeast corner of the map that is devoid of villages.

will move

Victor Sullivan wrote:Despite there not being any impassables per se, I like how you use connections that avoid going over things like mountains and rivers. Well, all except for the Inland-Leban connection. I think you should do away with it entirely and perhaps connect Leban to Cro, Sefo, or both. In addition, it bothers me that Nukiba only connects to Luutee, when I see no reason why it couldn't connect to Viroga or Burina.

i'll get rid of the inland-leban connection.
the others i;m not so keen on changing. the thing is, most of my maps were done as very open battle grounds with lots and lots of connections. what i want to try here is add dead ends thus giving people the "chance" to make mistakes by advancing in the wrong place (especially in escalating games).

Victor Sullivan wrote:The "red zone" is not explicitly specified as to what exactly it is. I think it would be best if you included it in the visual portion of the legend (with it's own fancy text color, perhaps). Also, more as a minor thing, the circle of X's seems rather misshapen. It bothers me. Idk why, though.

i'll try to make some sort of graphic in the legend to depict the red zone better.
as for the circle of Xs, it's not a circle, it's not even meant to be an oval. it's just a hand drawn shape of how the virus spread. and it certainly can't spread perfectly circular.

Victor Sullivan wrote:The script-y font is really bothering me for some reason. And it doesn't scream "doom" to me, especially compared to the title text.

fonts are always my problem. i generally like fancy fonts but they almost always cause readability issues.
if you can show me a "doom" font that's perfectly readable i'll change it in a heart beat.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:21 am

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:With regard to the objectives, it seems to me the Temple/Volcano objective seems much more feasible than the Antenna/Military Base objective. The temples are more defensible, since two of them only border one other territory (while the Inland Antenna borders 5 territories), they provide a supplement bonus to the village bonus (though small, it is certainly still worth going for, especially considering there aren't many bonuses to be had), and the Military Base is in an auto-decay zone, while the Volcano is more or less in a safe zone. I think a way to balance this out is make the Military Base an auto-deploy +1, connect Mutobe to Umanet, and connect Sukele to Zun or Ketro.

military base will be give a +1 autodeploy. the connections however are on hold, read below.

I suppose the 'normal' regions are less of an issue with regard to connections, but for gameplay reasons, I think at minimum the Mutobe-Umanet should be made.

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:The "red zone" is not explicitly specified as to what exactly it is. I think it would be best if you included it in the visual portion of the legend (with it's own fancy text color, perhaps). Also, more as a minor thing, the circle of X's seems rather misshapen. It bothers me. Idk why, though.

i'll try to make some sort of graphic in the legend to depict the red zone better.
as for the circle of Xs, it's not a circle, it's not even meant to be an oval. it's just a hand drawn shape of how the virus spread. and it certainly can't spread perfectly circular.

Yeah, I suppose. It was really kind of a silly thing anyway.

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:The script-y font is really bothering me for some reason. And it doesn't scream "doom" to me, especially compared to the title text.

fonts are always my problem. i generally like fancy fonts but they almost always cause readability issues.
if you can show me a "doom" font that's perfectly readable i'll change it in a heart beat.

I'll see if I can find something.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:25 am

ok, i'll get on with the changes later today.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:26 am

DiM wrote:ok, i'll get on with the changes later today.

Tally-ho!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:58 am

V7:
*moved village from Suracca to Qua
*military base +1 autodeploy
*added a graphic explanation for the red zone.
*connected mutobe - umanet and sukele - ketro

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Whoa, last night was craaaazy, you think to yourself, clutching your throbbing forehead. Wait... What did happen last night? Images flash in your mind in no cohesive order, or none that you seem to grasp. Coloured numbers? More numbers, except these are on squares of green and white? Some weird-looking guy named "zimmah"? You finally resolve not to give a damn, cursing your former self for apparently drinking too much booze. You look around... Trees? Where am I? you ask yourself. You stand up and look around again. Oh, God, oh, God! It can't be! Not again! you think to yourself, as you realize you are stuck once again on...

Gameplay Island.
  • With regard to the objectives, it seems to me the Temple/Volcano objective seems much more feasible than the Antenna/Military Base objective. The temples are more defensible, since two of them only border one other territory (while the Inland Antenna borders 5 territories), they provide a supplement bonus to the village bonus (though small, it is certainly still worth going for, especially considering there aren't many bonuses to be had), and the Military Base is in an auto-decay zone, while the Volcano is more or less in a safe zone. I think a way to balance this out is make the Military Base an auto-deploy +1, connect Mutobe to Umanet, and connect Sukele to Zun or Ketro.
  • No two villages should be adjacent, and no village should be adjacent to a temple or antennae, thus, the village at Suracca should be moved to Qua. This also adds some to the southeast corner of the map that is devoid of villages.
  • Despite there not being any impassables per se, I like how you use connections that avoid going over things like mountains and rivers. Well, all except for the Inland-Leban connection. I think you should do away with it entirely and perhaps connect Leban to Cro, Sefo, or both. In addition, it bothers me that Nukiba only connects to Luutee, when I see no reason why it couldn't connect to Viroga or Burina.
  • The "red zone" is not explicitly specified as to what exactly it is. I think it would be best if you included it in the visual portion of the legend (with it's own fancy text color, perhaps). Also, more as a minor thing, the circle of X's seems rather misshapen. It bothers me. Idk why, though.
  • The script-y font is really bothering me for some reason. And it doesn't scream "doom" to me, especially compared to the title text.
It's a good thing you took that class on bamboo and coconut construction after the last time. The Professor was a bit kooky, but he knew what he was talking about! Hopefully you won't be on this forsaken rock too much longer...

-Sully

how's my name weird? :shock:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:55 am

zimmah wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Some weird-looking guy named "zimmah"?

he just said that you're a weird-looking guy not that your name is weird :o
at least he said you're a guy. i called you a fair maiden :lol:
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:06 am

DiM wrote:
zimmah wrote:

**DiM rides in on his valiant steed**

"I have come for you my, lo-ooovWHAT?!?"

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: Island of Doom [28.Nov.11] - V7 - p1&5

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 am

I'm not so keen on the font in the legend. I think it works on the map, since you aren't reading sentences, and your eyes are essentially looking for shapes and unique single word names. But in the legend, the current iteration of the font is a little tough on the eyes.

Keep up the good work.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby zimmah on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 pm

DiM wrote:
zimmah wrote:

lol ye, i misread that. either way, why am i weird? :roll:

and yes, i'll never forget you calling me a maiden, and then to think you wanted some steamy action with me.... you have some explaining to do to your gf/wife.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:21 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm not so keen on the font in the legend. I think it works on the map, since you aren't reading sentences, and your eyes are essentially looking for shapes and unique single word names. But in the legend, the current iteration of the font is a little tough on the eyes.

Keep up the good work.

--Andy

+1

Anyone else find it odd that there are footprints going across the water in several parts of the map? Is this Island of Jesus?
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Anyone else find it odd that there are footprints going across the water in several parts of the map? Is this Island of Jesus?

it's for consistency reasons.
having different paths for land/sea could lead to possible confusion among players.
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 pm

DiM wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:Anyone else find it odd that there are footprints going across the water in several parts of the map? Is this Island of Jesus?

it's for consistency reasons.
having different paths for land/sea could lead to possible confusion among players.

I think it works. The paths are unique enough and interesting enough to the eye.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:52 am

any gameplay related issues? is this clear and ready?
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Sorry for the delay, I will take a look again at this this evening.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 am

I think the gameplay is clear, but have you considered adding a 'red zone' -1 decay around the Volcano too? Would even it out with the Military Base a little more and you could drop the +1 offset. And it makes sense that the area directly around a Volcano would be volatile and deadly.

Just a thought.

For the legend, you could make the icons a bit smaller to give yourself room to increas the font size. Do you need Military Base listed in the legend?

I also think it would look great if it looked written on the parchment.

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 am

Postby WestWind on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:58 am

First: I'm really liking this map so far!

Second, I agree with the comments about the font. It kinda hurts, and I have good vision.

Finally, I take it that the military base has a +1 autodeploy as well as the -1 for being in the red zone? If so, would it be easier to just say, "Military base does not decay" or something along those lines? As it is right now, I think a player could be confused into thinking that the base gets a +1 autodeploy and does not decay.
Sergeant 1st Class WestWind

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas