Conquer Club

Island of Doom

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Island of Doom [28.Nov.11] - V7 - p1&5

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

These are some decent choices.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:44 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

These are some decent choices.

--Andy

i really like the first one but unfortunately it doesn't fit quite good :(

i found something else but i need to know if you guys want just the legend font changed or also the terits.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 pm

WestWind wrote:First: I'm really liking this map so far!

Second, I agree with the comments about the font. It kinda hurts, and I have good vision.

Finally, I take it that the military base has a +1 autodeploy as well as the -1 for being in the red zone? If so, would it be easier to just say, "Military base does not decay" or something along those lines? As it is right now, I think a player could be confused into thinking that the base gets a +1 autodeploy and does not decay.

actually my intention is to give +1 for holding the military base but i forgot about the -1 from the virus so i've modified the legend to say the military base gets +2.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm

DiM wrote:

Second, I agree with the comments about the font. It kinda hurts, and I have good vision.

Finally, I take it that the military base has a +1 autodeploy as well as the -1 for being in the red zone? If so, would it be easier to just say, "Military base does not decay" or something along those lines? As it is right now, I think a player could be confused into thinking that the base gets a +1 autodeploy and does not decay.

actually my intention is to give +1 for holding the military base but i forgot about the -1 from the virus so i've modified the legend to say the military base gets +2.

so it gets +2 for real, or it gets +2-1= +1 in effect?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm

DiM wrote:

I don't think that's necessary. I think one can safely assume the Military Base is immune if it auto-deploys one.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 pm

if you hold the military base you get 1 troops added there each turn.
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

DiM wrote:if you hold the military base you get 1 troops added there each turn.

Yes.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm

would this font fit better?

Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:10 pm

DiM wrote:would this font fit better?

I think it is step in the right direction. I think keeping the region font where it is, is probably alright---since as mentioned, you are just reading one word, and not a paragraph of sorts. But if you want to change it for consistency, you can always approach that route. I think I'm fond of it on the actual map, just not in the legend.

--Andy

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
DiM wrote:would this font fit better?

I think it is step in the right direction. I think keeping the region font where it is, is probably alright---since as mentioned, you are just reading one word, and not a paragraph of sorts. But if you want to change it for consistency, you can always approach that route. I think I'm fond of it on the actual map, just not in the legend.

--Andy

I agree. I think this is an instance where its ok to have different fonts on the map v legend.

I think the font in your example looks pretty good, but you could probably darken the oranges and yellows a little.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:40 pm

V8:
*changed legend font and made minor adjustments to the legend

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Island of Doom [10.Dec.11] - V8 - p1&6

Postby WestWind on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:56 pm

Couldn't you just write, "Military Base = +1 autodeploy, immune to virus"? Or something along those lines?
Sergeant 1st Class WestWind

Postby Flapcake on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 am

Quick comment:

in my opinion, legend is shaped like a country, and lies very close to "the island" it gives me no impression that it is an "island" I think if you walked away from the landscape shaped edge on the legend and made an edge of eg. bamboo or wood, or some other theme stuff, it will get a larger "island" effect on you nice map :)

All for now, over and out.

Flap
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35 am

a bamboo/wooden rim could work if i had a regular shaped legend but as you can see it's kinda squeezed.
to make such a border i'd have to increase the map size with at least 100 pixels and i'm not sure it's worth it.
but if more people request this and if the CAs allow the increase i can do it.
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:08 pm

DiM wrote:a bamboo/wooden rim could work if i had a regular shaped legend but as you can see it's kinda squeezed.
to make such a border i'd have to increase the map size with at least 100 pixels and i'm not sure it's worth it.

Well since this is the large right? You're already at 1000x900 for this one and you're allowed up to 1400x1200 for the large and 1000x800 for the small, so I really don't see a problem to increase the size to work it in.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Flapcake on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:22 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
DiM wrote:a bamboo/wooden rim could work if i had a regular shaped legend but as you can see it's kinda squeezed.

Well since this is the large right? You're already at 1000x900 for this one and you're allowed up to 1400x1200 for the large and 1000x800 for the small, so I really don't see a problem.

it will give good room for an "island" effect :)

Its not that the current rim is not cool, its the distance to the island that ruin the impresion for me

Edit: the legend could also "float" in the water to solve the size isue if you dont want to enlarge it.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:19 pm

Let's see how much doom and gloom we can do here!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 pm

yeeehaw =D>
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm

DiM wrote:yeeehaw =D>

I was expecting three woops here! :lol:
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby zimmah on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Flapcake wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:

Well since this is the large right? You're already at 1000x900 for this one and you're allowed up to 1400x1200 for the large and 1000x800 for the small, so I really don't see a problem.

it will give good room for an "island" effect :)

Its not that the current rim is not cool, its the distance to the island that ruin the impresion for me

Edit: the legend could also "float" in the water to solve the size isue if you dont want to enlarge it.

if you are allowed to increase the size, adding some more water at every side of the map will make it have more like an island feel indeed. but one could indeed think, is it worth it?
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby DiM on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24 pm

i've pondered on the bamboo frame idea and after giving it a try i decided against it.
to make a proper frame the bamboo would have to be pretty thick and that would artificially increase the height of the map plus despite my innitial thoughts an image of a real bamboo rod does not fit with with the overall style of the map. however i decided to go with zimmah's suggestion of adding a bit more water thus distancing the legend from the main island.
i still think it's kinda unnecessary since i wasn't disturbed by the legend's closeness to the island.

anyway:
V9:
*increased distance from island to legend

Click image to enlarge.
Major DiM

Re: Island of Doom [23.Dec.11] - V9 - p1&7

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:11 am

I still think the areas around the Volcano should decay -1 too. It makes just as much sense as a military base virus and then it evens them out. The volcano seems so innocuous without something like that.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 am

sorry limbo i already explained why i don't want that.
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:40 am

This is also a pretty stellar looking map, DiM. Nice work. In regards to the legend, have you thought about matching the black outline for the colored text so it either stands out more (in terms of say the forest green color) or is "enclosed" a little, in terms of say the lime green.

--Andy

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:17 am

thanks for the appreciation andy.

you mean like this?

Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas