Conquer Club

Sharing responsibility: Github?

Discuss developing tools and get details on Conquer Club's API.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sharing responsibility: Github?

Postby sherkaner on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:58 pm

A few days ago, I started updating Map Rank but I don't think I'll have the time to maintain it in the long run.
The reason was the sudden departure of ChipV a few months ago, and it shows that it's normally just 1 person that's responsible for the script.
In my view, that's bound to go wrong again, and we should make it easier to share responsibility for the scripts.

So I made a github-account and repository, so at least others can update the code too, and eventually other people can get access and update the code too.
Location: https://github.com/sherkaner/addons-for-Conquerclub

If you want that possibility already, just make an account and pm me or something.

Longer term:
Eventually, I want to get most (abandoned) scripts up there, along with some examples of how to do things with Greasemonkey or Chrome, or how to interact with the API. Hopefully that will improve the maintainability of the scripts somewhat, and will make it easier for new people to start up scripts.
What I'm scared of: No replies here, and no people willing to participate in this idea.

So if you're interested, please post here. I'm also looking for other script creators/maintainers (dwilhelmi, Dako are the only ones who really come to mind actually, along with those who left us: Foxglove, chipv, cspare, yetiC), who are interested in getting their scripts more shared too.
Colonel sherkaner

Re: Sharing responsibility: Github?

Postby ThrushAAX on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:05 pm

This is definitely a great idea!

This would make it much easier to submit patches for bugs and new features. I personally want to be able to contribute to some of the scripts (especially the abandoned ones), but I don't want to take responsibility over one. This would also make the scripts more community owned, developed, and maintained which I think would increase the quality, amount, and usage of them.
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby sherkaner on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:14 am

I hope it will work like that, but the scripts aren't easy (Both BOB and Map Rank are huge scripts, and some pieces of it could definately be improved).

So I definately need to get some easier-to-understand scripts up there too. I guess I'll have to ask Dako and Foxglove.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:23 am

I'm not a techie at all, so I will be useless to you in doing this, but I just wanted to post and say, "thank you for doing this, and good luck!"

=D>
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Foxglove on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 am

This is a fantastic idea. :)
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby sherkaner on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Foxglove wrote:This is a fantastic idea. :)

Thanks, and I've uploaded a modified version of Game Link now, I think it's a good example for other script writers (though actually, I ended up changing quite a lot. But the script was good to begin with, and the idea is still brilliant).
Colonel sherkaner

Postby ThrushAAX on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:36 pm

Cool! I'm wondering about how the workflow should be. Fork your repo, then add our own scripts and changes? Then push to the main one? or should we have multiple repos floating around with one place for the official release versions?
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby sherkaner on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:18 am

Not sure yet, but currently my idea is:
I'll keep 1 repo for now, give anyone who wants contributor rights (when someone abuses them, I'll remove that person of course) and if a script is really a new version we could put it somewhere on the CC server, and direct new people to it. Everyone is free to fork though, or submit patches.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Foxglove on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:05 am

sherkaner wrote:Not sure yet, but currently my idea is:
I'll keep 1 repo for now, give anyone who wants contributor rights (when someone abuses them, I'll remove that person of course) and if a script is really a new version we could put it somewhere on the CC server, and direct new people to it. Everyone is free to fork though, or submit patches.

Add me please - angelaks :)
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby sherkaner on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:30 am

Foxglove wrote:
sherkaner wrote:Not sure yet, but currently my idea is:

Add me please - angelaks :)

You're added. And that reminds me to ask Dako something.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:12 am

Add me as well: ender516 :D
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Return to Tools Development