Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: Jules Verne Contest [Maps 3 to 9 ]

Postby Bandido on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am

Bandido FRA score : 61
Ringemaster USA score : 52
Dexterdexter ROM score: 45

Done!
Let us know plz.
2012-10-20 23:23:17 - neutral player eliminated madman7 from the game in round - 1
Lieutenant Bandido

Postby Bandido on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Bandido wrote:Hi
We are 3 no-team players. We are looking for another player to complete our team.
Please PM me if interested.

Might be a good idea to list the three players and their current scores, so you will know if you have a chance of qualifying for the team final.

Done!

Let us know plz.
2012-10-20 23:23:17 - neutral player eliminated madman7 from the game in round - 1
Lieutenant Bandido

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Bandido wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Bandido wrote:Hi
We are 3 no-team players. We are looking for another player to complete our team.
Please PM me if interested.

Might be a good idea to list the three players and their current scores, so you will know if you have a chance of qualifying for the team final.

Done!

Let us know plz.

I wasn't ignoring you. Sometimes my boss requires me to work for a living and I can't stay home to update tournaments...:-)

Anyway, 158 points would make you the 5th place team, which would get you into the final at present. (The top 8 will make it.) Keep in mind that none of these scores are final... there are still active games going, and some of the teams below you might do amazingly well on their last few games. But yes, at present 158 would be enough.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby bobdakota on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Bandido wrote:Hi all !

I don't have a team and I would like to play the team challenge.

Do you think it's better to create a new team and ask the other players without team to join me or to join a team with a free spot (player who's quite the game or eliminated) ?

All other solutions :idea: :idea: are welcome.

Bandido wrote:I asked some NO-TEAM players if they want to join me and create a new team to play the team challenge.
I got one positive answer and Im waiting for the others. I will let you know.

This is fine. I think it was always DJENRE's intention to let people who had joined without teams to join them afterward. I also think, that since every team but one is short players, that the existing teams should be allowed to recruit NO TEAM players to join them. There is only one thing that I think would be unacceptable, and that would be for existing teams to poach members from other existing teams.

1. NO TEAM players joining together to form a new team. GOOD
2. Existing teams recruiting NO TEAM players to join them. GOOD
3. Existing teams recruiting players from other existing teams. BAD

As an addendum to the above, however, I would say this: After qualification is complete and the team matches are set, then it might be okay for teams who qualified for the finale to recruit players from teams who didn't make it, as long as the points of such players have not been used to help them qualify. Willing to entertain debate on this point.

I guess I should talk more about the team finale. The top eight teams will be in a bracket playoff. Team 1 will face Team 8, Team 2 will face Team 7, and so on. Third round, Winner of 1/8 faces winner of 2/7, and so on. Third round, winner of 1/8/2/7 faces winner of 3/4/5/6.

Each round will be three games. To give home ice (or home pitch for those of you who don't play hockey, lol) advantage to the higher-ranking team, the higher ranking team in each match will pick 2 maps and the lower-ranking team will pick one map. The maps can ONLY be chosen from those that were used in the tournament: Africa, France, Nordic Countries, Iceland, USA, Lunar War, Arctic, Greenland, South America, Australia, and Oceania. If you qualify to pick 2 maps, they must be 2 different maps from the list. If you are the team only picking one, you can pick any map, and there is no problem with it being the same as a map that the other team chose.

All games will be quads and will use the settings that have been used throughout this tournament: Flat-rate, Foggy, etc.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I thought I'd better clarify something, before somebody gets the wrong idea and we end up with pissed-off people.

There is a distinction between recruiting players to help you QUALIFY for the final, and to help you PLAY in the final.

It would be unfair, I think, to let a team add a high-scoring NO TEAM player to help them qualify for the finals. You chose whatever team you started with, and if those players turned out to be not as good or reliable as you hoped, then so be it. That is the nature of competition. It would be unfair to the successful teams to let someone pass them at the last minute because of adding a new player's scores to their total.

Existing NO TEAM players banding together to form a new team is another story entirely. That is completely okay, because it was always intended for you to join teams at some point along the way.

1. NO TEAM players joining together to form a new team. GOOD
2. Existing teams recruiting NO TEAM players to join them. GOOD
3. Existing teams recruiting players from other existing teams. BAD

Item 2 on that list is perfectly good to recruit players to help you PLAY in the final. Since it is a Quads series, obviously you will need to have four players. However, you cannot add their points to your total to help you qualify.

Just wanted to clarify, in case my previous post was too vague.

I know I am a little late on this.

I think DJENRE assigned us to teams if we did not have a team. The teams were assigned before the games started. I don't know why some people never had a team.

All teams started with 4 players. Some of the players are eliminated form the singles tournement, but they are still elligible to play in the team.

So very few teams should need to find find new player for the team unless the player on the team has quit the game or will not play.

I don't think it is fair for the "no team" players to pick a team at this point because they will be picking people that are still in the tourney and therefor have a lot more points.

I do think it is fair to ramdomly match up the 18 people who were never put on a team. (but 18 does not go into 4) :?
Sergeant 1st Class bobdakota

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:06 am

9 active games left
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:25 am

bobdakota wrote:I think DJENRE assigned us to teams if we did not have a team. The teams were assigned before the games started. I don't know why some people never had a team.

All teams started with 4 players. Some of the players are eliminated form the singles tournement, but they are still elligible to play in the team.

So very few teams should need to find find new player for the team unless the player on the team has quit the game or will not play.

I don't think it is fair for the "no team" players to pick a team at this point because they will be picking people that are still in the tourney and therefor have a lot more points.

I do think it is fair to ramdomly match up the 18 people who were never put on a team. (but 18 does not go into 4) :?

Hi Bob.
I left this for a while to see if anyone else had a comment, but it seems nobody else will.

There are quite a few teams who have lost members permanently. I'm not sure exactly how many, but quite a few. CC has a fairly high turnover rate, and I'm not just talking about noobs who sign up for a while and go away. I'm talking about long-established players, active, involved in the community, who simply have something come up in their life and vanish. For instance McLor, who was no casual dilettante: he was a Brigadier and very active in the clan scene on CC, suddenly vanished without a trace. And of course DJENRE himself. Those are just a couple examples off the top of my head, by no means an exhaustive list. We've lost a lot of people with no explanation, and several with an explanation, like Marechal Joffre.

I don't know how many teams will be scrambling for a fourth player or possibly even for multiple players. That's why I posted the interim team standings. I wanted those people who have a reasoable probability of being in the final to start thinking about it.

Now, on to the issue of allowing a new team. I understand your point: now that the tourney is almost done, there is some unfairness involved in letting the unteamed players cherry-pick a good team, having seen the standings. I agree, there is some unfairness in it, but I don't think it's totally wrong.

First: The fact that these players have done well in individual games is no guarantee that they will do well in team games.

Second: The number one problem I've had to contend with in this tournament is apathy. The tournament has been long, slow, and boring for most people, it had many design flaws, and just keeping people joining their games has been a challenge. So if someone actually cares enough to form a team and try to get into the finals, I'm not going to discourage this sign of nascent interest.

However, I do agree with you to a limited extent, so I will meet you part way on one point: the new team being formed, assuming it qualifies, will be ranked 8th going in to the final, regardless of the points of the players in it. This will at least make sure they don't get home-ice advantage as a result of having cherry-picked better players.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby bobdakota on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks - You have done a great job trying to make this tourney work. The team tourney will be no easy task. You are right about players leaving. I just check my team and 1 member has not been on since July, so I am guessing that is pretty standard after almost a year.

Thanks for listening. I think you are making fine decisions :)
Sergeant 1st Class bobdakota

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Eight games still active
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:44 pm

My list of tournaments thus far:
My FIRST tournament: Dukasaur's Knucklehead Tournament
My SECOND tournament: Intensities in Ten Cities!
My THIRD tournament: DK's 3-3-3
My FOURTH tournament: DK's CC Scrabble
My FIFTH tournament: A Fifth of Dukasaur
My SIXTH tournament: DK's koontz-style tourney
My SEVENTH tournament: Jules Verne Contest(new thread) (rescued from its original creator DJENRE)
My EIGHTH tournament: LOTTERY V (rescued from its original creator DJENRE)
My NINTH tournament: History of Nuclear War I
My TENTH tournament: DK's Friendship Festival
My ELEVENTH tournament: DK's koontz-style II
My TWELFTH tournament: History 101 (rescued from Blinkadyblink)
My THIRTEENTH tournament: My First Tourney (rescued from Sword Master: it was HIS first tourney, not mine, lol)
My FOURTEENTH tournament: Guojia Anquan Bu TPA2 (my first TPA!)
My FIFTEENTH tournament: History of Nuclear War II
My SIXTEENTH tournament: Dukasaur's First Anniversary
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Pandemonium on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:50 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=0

Seamus76 is the new leader on the table with his last perfect 20 points on the last Arctic map, but he has no more unfinished games.

general_c is theoretically the winner, being 3rd now with -8 points behind the leader BUT with 2 more games to cash in.

also, there is a theoretical chance for Pack Man and General Redstone but only if they get 16/18/20 points in their last game...
Corporal 1st Class Pandemonium

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Pandemonium wrote:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap9tZNjRXkJydF9jLTh2LWh5QVZRQkc0NV80Q0pjU3c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Seamus76 is the new leader on the table with his last perfect 20 points on the last Arctic map, but he has no more unfinished games.

general_c is theoretically the winner, being 3rd now with -8 points behind the leader BUT with 2 more games to cash in.

also, there is a theoretical chance for Pack Man and General Redstone but only if they get 16/18/20 points in their last game...

It would be nice if once in a while somebody said, "Thank you Pandemonium for keeping track of all these complicated scores."

Anyway: Thank you Pandemonium for keeping track of all these complicated scores! =D> =D> =D>
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Pandemonium on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:07 am

Its OK Dukasaur, I don't expect any back tapping from the players,
what I expect from them is to be active and write in game chat AND in this thread loud and clear about the bonuses :) so I can check them out more easily :)

Postby General Redstone on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:55 pm

And to hopefully read the rules on the special objectives thoroughly right?! ;) :?
I have to agree with Dukasaur, you volunteered for a hard job, thanks for doing it.
Major General Redstone

Postby Justin3f on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Just in case i'm supposed to post it i held the newzeland bonus for 2 rounds
Colonel Justin3f

Postby Pandemonium on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:57 am

Yes, but Rmjw10 held it before you, so bonus goes to him...

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:56 am

Game 9401798 finally ended! And looks like one of the Oceania's ended just recently, too.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:37 am

Only four active games left.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Just a reminder to everyone that my special First Anniversary tournament is still looking for players!
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby general_c on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm so close just need four more points, aka bump one person from game 9401803 and I can tie for first :). Although Sam02 has a bunch of games still active.
Colonel general_c

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 am

Three games are stalled and seem to be going nowhere.
Game 9401803
Game 9727842
Game 9802695

How about we declare a New Year's Eve moratorium on these?

Any games that don't end by the time the ball drops on New Year's Eve, we will pool the remaining points (the points that could have been won if the games had ended) and divide them between the remaining players?

Then we can start 2012 fresh by getting the Team Finale going.

Comments?
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby uckuki on Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm ok with anything that gets things moving.
Colonel uckuki

Postby general_c on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 am

Actually, I just ran the numbers, if you do this then my score would be

(3+4+6+8+10)/5 = 6.2

I am four points away from fairman right now, this 6.2 puts me as the tourney winner.

I'm okay with this although perhaps fairman would want a say in the matter.
Colonel general_c

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 am

general_c wrote:Actually, I just ran the numbers, if you do this then my score would be

(3+4+6+8+10)/5 = 6.2

I am four points away from fairman right now, this 6.2 puts me as the tourney winner.

I'm okay with this although perhaps fairman would want a say in the matter.

:)

Well, New Year's Eve is two weeks away.... somebody might decide to make a move before then.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Pandemonium on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am

+1 - good thinking :)

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:42 am

Game 9401803
2012-01-01 10:31:48 - Dukasaur: ok, four players left
2012-01-01 10:32:07 - Dukasaur: 28 points left to be won
2012-01-01 10:32:13 - Dukasaur: That's 7 points each

Game 9727842
2011-12-17 01:00:43 - Dukasaur: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=149236&p=3501035#p3501035
2011-12-17 14:19:45 - hermey68: we have been called out - must end by 1/1/12 or we get nothing
2011-12-17 14:19:51 - hermey68: who will make the first move!
2012-01-01 10:32:38 - Dukasaur: well, not nothing, hermey
2012-01-01 10:32:53 - Dukasaur: we take the remaining points and divide them evenly between you
2012-01-01 10:33:25 - Dukasaur: 7 players left, and 34 points left to be won
2012-01-01 10:33:35 - Dukasaur: so every one of you gets 5 points

Game 9802695
2012-01-01 10:34:42 - Dukasaur: ttblanch claimed the objective
2012-01-01 10:35:09 - Dukasaur: no way to prove it without the fog lifting, but I think it's reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt
2012-01-01 10:35:25 - Dukasaur: so ttblanch scores the 10 bonus points for the objective
2012-01-01 10:40:02 - Dukasaur: as for the regular points, there's five players left, and 31 points left to be won
2012-01-01 10:40:11 - Dukasaur: so you each score 6 pts.
2012-01-01 10:40:31 - Dukasaur: +10 for ttblanch, of course
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2012