Conquer Club

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Map!

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Hola!

After spending so long time waiting for an update, the Cartography Assistants are happy and proud to announce that we finally have something new.

And what best moment than Christmas to have a new toy to play with? This time we're not going to announce a new XML update, nor we're going to announce a contest or something like that. This time we're really proud to announce the introduction of something unique, something that we will change the map making production we all know!

So, without any further ado, It is with great pleasure that we announce the introduction of a new type of maps.
From now it's possible to develop maps that allow to play just 1vs1 games.
The 1vs1 map is now reality!

But (there's always a but), before you rush to plug your tablets to sketch your first 1vs1 map draft, please be sure to read the details here below:

1vs1 Maps Rules and Requirements:

1. Given their nature, 1v1 maps will not be developed every day. According to LackAttack words, these maps has to be developed "on purpose". So their production will be at the discretion of the owner of this site, who will express his will "through the CA's voice".
    2. This kind of maps, to proceed through the process MUST be something special and add something UNIQUE to the site.
    3. The general rules of mapmaking apply also on 1vs1 maps, so any map must be ‘inherently unique either in gameplay, location, or theme’.
    4. Before posting your map in the drafting room is "highly recommended" to send a PM to Foundry Foreman with a draft of your 1v1 map or, if you don't have a draft, at least a clear explanation of what you want to develop. This is required to make sure that CA's can look at your project before proceeding any further. The CA's will give you a detailed reply as soon as possible. In case of rebuttal they will give you a reason.
    5. This type of map can only be 1vs1, so, for now, you can't develop maps with other limitations or with a X type of games in your mind (i.e. only assassins, only terminators, only 4 players, etc.)
    6. Last but not the least: Make good use of them! It's clear that we want to give you a new opportunity, something new to "explore", but keep in mind to not abuse of it.

Now, please do not look at these set of rule like a restriction but more like a guarantee. We want to allow the biggest number of maps of this type, but we must ensure that every 1v1 map will add (in any case) something fun and unique to the site.
As mentioned above, the introduction of this type of maps, by choice of the owner of the site, is not intended like something to have just for the sake of having it.
Obviously, if some of you have questions or concerns please post them, we're always open to listen and discuss with you all. :)

I hope you'll like this new opportunity..... enjoy it!

Merry Christmas
The Cartographers Team

Re: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Map!

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:25 am

First off thenobodies80, great poem. Loved it.
Secondly, great news for the foundry. Now some map makers can truly get there thinking caps on as any development is a good development. =D>

Do we get another stamp comp?
Last edited by koontz1973 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:40 am

thenobodies80 wrote:This time we're not going to announce a new XML update

:(

I hate to complain after such heartfelt post, but...

What ever happened to that XML update that was promised like a 6 months ago when R&C was in the FF?

You know, the collection bonuses one? All the CA:s were like "oh, this is going to be implemented almost immediately, don't worry" and here we still are waiting for it... I'd love to resume work on the Omega Cities map which won't be possible without it, and I'm sure Tacktix & Oliver would love to see R&C finally finished some day.

thenobodies80 wrote:From now it's possible to develop maps that allow to play just 1vs1 games.

Well, something good at least, although I don't know if this is going to interest me personally, I've never been that much into 1v1. It's nice to have the option and all, but unfortunately this just isn't something that's really exciting to me. Sorry.

Anyway, happy holidays and such, hope I didn't bring everyone down or anything.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am

lostatlimbo, DiM, who's gonna beat whom to the punch? :lol:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:01 pm

natty_dread wrote:What ever happened to that XML update that was promised like a 6 months ago when R&C was in the FF?

You know, the collection bonuses one? All the CA:s were like "oh, this is going to be implemented almost immediately, don't worry" and here we still are waiting for it... I'd love to resume work on the Omega Cities map which won't be possible without it, and I'm sure Tacktix & Oliver would love to see R&C finally finished some day.

You can trust me or not, but I didn't use kind words with lackattack for this delay. The people who can read the "behind the scenes" know that I'm saying the truth.
Anyway those xml updates are something we should see come with the next year, i think early 2012. For now we have this, I know it's not like an xml update but you can develop some nice maps with it.
Be patient, the xml updates will come soon, and if the 2012 will go as planned we will have some other new things. :-#
Remember,I'm always on the first line to "fight" for you all. ;)

But it's almost X-mas, so for now please don't think about the things you didn't have, for a day we can forget the bad things, the delays, the complaints and just play the "good guy role" O:)

Merry X-mas to everyone!

Nobodies

Postby DiM on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 pm

woohoo
merry xmas
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Leitz on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Sweeet!
My tournament series: Leitz League of Legendary (LLL)
Sergeant 1st Class Leitz

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I've gotten more Christmas presents from CC than real life :) :(
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Postby perchorin on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:22 pm

It occurs to me that any new 1vs 1 maps would necessarily be filtered out of "random" if it was anything more than a two player game being created. If that's the case, when will we be able to make our own filters to keep certain maps we don't want to play out of random? It's obviously possible and I think it would be a good thing for the foundry as well. For example, a map like Antarctica wouldn't need to spend so long in beta and be tweaked so much because it didn't play well 1 vs 1, you could just filter that one out. Though I like how Antarctica turned out anyway that was just the first example that came to mind.

p.s. I'm certainly not complaining here, great updates and happy holidays to all!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:54 am

Happy Christmas to everybody!

It's shame that the Christmas Update is one that requires minimal effort from lackattack; an xml update would surely have been better... Nevertheless,there are a couple of good ideas for 1 v 1 maps around - although I'm guessing that the logical extension to team-based maps is a lot further away? Team maps would be an amazing development!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:53 am

perchorin wrote:It occurs to me that any new 1vs 1 maps would necessarily be filtered out of "random" if it was anything more than a two player game being created. If that's the case, when will we be able to make our own filters to keep certain maps we don't want to play out of random? It's obviously possible and I think it would be a good thing for the foundry as well. For example, a map like Antarctica wouldn't need to spend so long in beta and be tweaked so much because it didn't play well 1 vs 1, you could just filter that one out. Though I like how Antarctica turned out anyway that was just the first example that came to mind.

p.s. I'm certainly not complaining here, great updates and happy holidays to all!

This is no different than 8 player maps, because some of the early maps cannot have more than 6 players. (AOR comes to mind, but there are others).
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Awesome! Great Christmas present!
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby lostatlimbo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Conquership is sporting a shiny, new 1v1 gameplay. Check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=583&t=158696
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby DiM on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:09 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:Conquership is sporting a shiny, new 1v1 gameplay. Check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=583&t=158696

ahem...
4. Before posting your map in the drafting room is "highly recommended" to send a PM to Foundry Foreman with a draft of your 1v1 map or, if you don't have a draft, at least a clear explanation of what you want to develop. This is required to make sure that CA's can look at your project before proceeding any further. The CA's will give you a detailed reply as soon as possible. In case of rebuttal they will give you a reason.

now get in line, i've been waiting to post my 1v1 map for weeks now :mrgreen:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby RjBeals on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:02 pm

this is good. hope the cc foundry had a nice holiday.
Private RjBeals

Return to Foundry Discussions