Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 am

Map Name: Mississippi Magnolia
Mapmaker(s): Vicfontaine, vaughn03 appearing as The Voice of Reason, aka, the Production Artist.
Number of Territories: 78
Special Features: multi-level bonuses (multiple regions, autodeploys, additional bonuses within regions, etc.), culture-specific to Mississippi
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: There are no unique Deep South (USA) maps and this one provides that as well as detail into some Mississippi history; gameplay is easy but multi-dimensional with bonuses, attacks, defensive positions, etc.

UPDATE AS OF June 7, 2012. Please make this supersized. You have no real quality objections not to and had already told us you would. We continue to get complaints about how "crowded" this looks. We've continued to say, "Make it supersize and it won't be crowded." ](*,) ](*,)

800 size:
Click image to enlarge.

1000 size:
Click image to enlarge.

WHAT HAS CHANGED:
1) Legend has been clarified
2) Slight alteration of map and tert locations for clarity
3) **OBJECTIVE WIN HAS BEEN ADDED
4) More awesomeness included

(Older Version:)
(update #5)
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

(update #4)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #3)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #2)
Click image to enlarge.

ORIGINALS (hand-drawn):
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

ā€” Terts separated by thin black lines (the highways of MS), thick red lines (MS interstates), and the white line (the historic Natchez Trace Parkway). Attacks are made over impassables through cities. Thus, cities sitting on I-55 connect their adjoining terts, etc.

ā€” Many cultural icons scattered in approximately their actual geographical areas; these are accessed via small-towns (where the culture really is anyway) indicated by the "red cities."

ā€” Steamboats, a historical feature of the Mighty Mississippi river (and MS state), as well as Gulf Fishing Boats (a major part of our state). River cities that autodeploy (along with other "blue cities").

ā€” Universities (Ole Miss, Mississippi State [MSU], University of Southern Mississippi [USM] are accessed via their adjoining cities (so: Oxford gets to Ole Miss, Starkville gets to MSU, and Hattiesburg gets to USM).

Multiple bonus features; many angles of attack and defense. This is a strategist's DREAM map:
1) hard to contain and be contained
2) hard to win (objective: hold all CT's and Jackson and Memphis for 1 turn to win), especially on no spoils (my preference in games)
3) having to think several turns ahead and anticipate the enemies movement

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/vicfontaine1/?action=view&current=MagnoliaMap.jpg
Last edited by VicFontaine on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 20 times in total.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 am

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Flapcake on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 am

Did you draw by hand ? if so you are very skilled, uber nice and also interesting map.

One thing, the "Nissan" icon, its looks like an advertising, remember to get payed for it :lol: (only kidding)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

Flapcake wrote:Did you draw by hand ? if so you are very skilled, uber nice and also interesting map.

One thing, the "Nissan" icon, its looks like an advertising, remember to get payed for it :lol: (only kidding)

LOL! I Drew most of it by hand. And I colored it with crayola ---> I have mad skillz taught me by my 5 year-old. :lol: :lol:

Some of the images are non-copyrighted images taken from anywhere. The plantation pic near Natchez is a famous plantation, etc.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby luxCRUSADER on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 am

Great effort :) I wish you all the best m8 :) I sincerely hope no 'good-ball' player or map foundry member causes you to lose interest in your map creation (visa-vie a grossly discouraging comment or overly harsh criticism) Sincerely wishing you all the best :) GL !!! & don't lose faith in your ability :) cheers !
closing down my Conquer Club account due to the WAY 2 RANDOM dice that Conquer Club contracts to 'random.org' :) "I'm done" ! gonna play here: http://sillysoft.net/lux/
Sergeant 1st Class luxCRUSADER

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby Ragian on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 am

Whoa! This map seems very interesting. I especially enjoy the history put into the map. Also, I will, as others have before me, applaud your drawing skills =D>

I would love to play this map. Though it "easy" to play, it looks interesting and I think it would take a few games and some skill to master the map.

Great job! =D>
Captain Ragian

Postby raston_morue on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 am

AWESOME Job.

Aaawwww where's my cousin Cletus on that map. (snort)

I think your monkey just shot my dawg!

It needs to have the freestate of Jones on there as a +1 auto deploy or as a tert that recycles back to 10 neutrals, but it can attack any capital. Just a thought.
Highest Position: #63 / Highest Score: 3131 / Highest Rank: Brigadier Date: 12/23/2011
Major raston_morue

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:51 am

raston_morue wrote:
It needs to have the freestate of Jones on there as a +1 auto deploy or as a tert that recycles back to 10 neutrals, but it can attack any capital. Just a thought.

Just so folks know what you're talking about and for which you're asking:

During the War of Northern Aggression...er...the War for Constitutionally Consistent Southern Independence...er...the Civil War (please note: I'm joking...it's a Southern thang) the Mississippi county called "Jones" became populated with Confederate deserters and Union sympathizes and caused some problems from the brave men of Mississippi ;). I wanted to add another cultural treasure to Piney Woods, but couldn't think of one. That could be it. It's absolutely fascinating history.

I agree Raston...that would be very fascinating to add. I'll consider it for sure. Though I'm not sold on it needing to be a +1 auto. From my perspective, it should be a -5 to anything there. :lol:

BUT, it could be part of an objective win so you HAD to have Jones County to win (and it started as...say...20 neutral just to make it historically stubborn, as it was) unless a player managed a domination win of other players.
Last edited by VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby raston_morue on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 am

VicFontaine wrote:
raston_morue wrote:

Just so folks know what you're talking about and for which you're asking:

During the War of Northern Aggression...er...the War for Constitutionally Consistent Southern Independence...er...the Civil War (please note: I'm joking...it's a Southern thang) the Mississippi county called "Jones" refused to secede with Mississippi. Specifically, they sort of seceded from Mississippi. They were yankees in spirit and supported the Union in the Civil War.

I agree Raston...that would be very fascinating to add. I'll consider it for sure. Though I'm not sold on it needing to be a +1 auto. From my perspective, it should be a -5 to anything there. :lol:

BUT, it could be part of an objective win so you HAD to have Jones County to win (and it started as...say...20 neutral just to make it historically stubborn, as it was) unless a player managed a domination win of other players.

I have never been to the Freestate of Jones, but have heard similar comments (still) about it not being a contribution, but a negative type thing LOL
Highest Position: #63 / Highest Score: 3131 / Highest Rank: Brigadier Date: 12/23/2011
Major raston_morue

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 pm

sdfsdf
Last edited by VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 pm

You need a direct link to the image for the image tags to work, not a link to the page which the image is on.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby raston_morue on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 pm

One thing is, you could make each region have a "capital." So many capitals get you bonus troops as well.

On the other side, it is hard to see connectivity.

On the flip, I really like the idea.

There is the Texas map, but it holds no special feeling for me other than the fact that I have been to the majority of the towns. The designer missed the idea of the "personal" touch, with the alamo, state capital, Baylor, UT, A&M, Sam Houston, Galveston Historical Homes, Tumbleweeds, etc.

You have really captured the feel from a point of view of a local. I recommend working on a larger (less decorated map). This way, one can see the connectivity and the flow. (make it with BOB in mind).
Major raston_morue

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:22 pm

raston_morue wrote:One thing is, you could make each region have a "capital." So many capitals get you bonus troops as well.

It would have to be "county seats" or such. Not capitols. But it's possible. I tried to incorporate something like that already via the +1 auto-deploys on the medium cities and the +2 autodeploys on Jackson and Memphis/Southhaven. BTW, the reason Memphis is included on a map on Mississippi is because Memphis couldn't exist without Olive Branch, Southhaven, etc,. all in North Mississippi. A large portion of Memphis' workforce live in North Mississippi and are Mississippians.

raston_morue wrote:You have really captured the feel from a point of view of a local. I recommend working on a larger (less decorated map). This way, one can see the connectivity and the flow. (make it with BOB in mind).
Thanks for the compliments. I can almost hear you do a Slick Willy Bill Clintonesque, "I feel your pain." On another note, if the map is "good enough" and everyone likes it, it could be a Big Map, I guess.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby raston_morue on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm

VicFontaine wrote:

raston_morue wrote:You have really captured the feel from a point of view of a local. I recommend working on a larger (less decorated map). This way, one can see the connectivity and the flow. (make it with BOB in mind).
Thanks for the compliments. I can almost hear you do a Slick Willy Bill Clintonesque, "I feel your pain." On another note, if the map is "good enough" and everyone likes it, it could be a Big Map, I guess.

I meant for you to work on a larger map just to bang out the connectivity issues. Keep the decorations, etc. But no use in you redesigning it 100 times and redoing the freehand stuff. Once you get the gameplay bugs worked out, then you can re-stylize it. I would imagine the biggest thing the foundry will really look for is:

will it play well.
Major raston_morue

Postby Atillahun on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Looks interesting Vic - you Atilla killer. Love the history, although the the anniversary of the War of 1812 is coming next year, and being Canadian, it would be great to see a map illustrating our conquest over the "yankee dogs".

If you can get this map to beta I'll give it a go.
Cadet Atillahun

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Atillahun wrote:Looks interesting Vic - you Atilla killer. Love the history, although the the anniversary of the War of 1812 is coming next year, and being Canadian, it would be great to see a map illustrating our conquest over the "yankee dogs".

If you can get this map to beta I'll give it a go.

The War of British Arrogance & Imperialism? Yes, that would be a great map. Very easy, actually. Maybe we can work on that one if this one is approved.

I appreciate your support.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Claudard on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Looks great Vic, congrats.........

Not familiar with the region much, so I can't appreciate it's flavor as Raston seems too, but I can see that you put some effort in giving it that flavor.

I also think that you integrated interesting game play action into it.

Looking forward to testing it out.

Well done bud, cheers
Corporal 1st Class Claudard

Postby uyumaykimaw on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Great map. I like the cultural treasures. Your 5 year old is a great art teacher....should be proud of his student.

Hope this goes through so some day we can play it on CC.
Captain uyumaykimaw

Postby raston_morue on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:01 pm

uyumaykimaw wrote:Your 5 year old is a great art teacher....should be proud of his student.

This is actually where Vic learns everything.
Major raston_morue

Postby pershy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Very creative. Well done Vic =D>
Lieutenant pershy

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

VicFontaine wrote: There are no unique Deep South (USA) maps
What about Charleston SC - that's pretty deep ;)

But nice map so far.
Private RjBeals

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:11 pm

RjBeals wrote:
VicFontaine wrote: There are no unique Deep South (USA) maps
What about Charleston SC - that's pretty deep ;)

But nice map so far.

Not really, it isn't :). That's just a geographically accurate city-map of a beautifully historic city...but lacking all cultural distinctions as a southern city. It's just a big territory map with suburb-type bonuses.

Are you talking about a map in the Foundry of which I am not aware? The only Charles-SC map I know is what I described above. It IS a great map, but there's not depth like this one would have with multiple attack vectors (bombardments, cross-map assaults), standard bonuses as well as auto-deploys and "triggered" bonuses (If you hold A, then bonus B; if you hold A and C, then bonuses B and D, etc.), etc.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 pm

yeah - it was sort of a joke. But Charleston is indeed deep south, maybe the map is just a map, but the city has deep southern history.
Private RjBeals

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

RjBeals wrote:yeah - it was sort of a joke. But Charleston is indeed deep south, maybe the map is just a map, but the city has deep southern history.

Couldn't agree more. I just wish the map reflected that history! Would be great to have a Charles-SC, Part II with that included.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Next

Return to Recycling Box