Conquer Club

Sweden [13 Feb 2012] V6 p.1&3 Feedback wanted

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sweden [20 Jan 2012] V3 p.1&2 Feedback wanted

Postby Gillipig on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:47 am

Fin karta men varför ser det ut som at Göteborg ligger i Bohuslän?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:52 am

Gillipig wrote:Fin karta men varför ser det ut som at Göteborg ligger i Bohuslän?

Speak english please. This is not a language forum.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Roberth on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Gillipig wrote:Fin karta men varför ser det ut som at Göteborg ligger i Bohuslän?

Tack! Jo, jag vet att Gbg inte ligger i Bohuslän IRL. Men ville inte ha både en flygplats och en stad i samma region. Så därför fick Landvetter vara i Västergötland och Göteborg i Bohuslän.

Vad säger du om kartan annars, som invånare?

And a translation for Mr. Natty_dread.
Gillipig sad:
Nice map but why does it looks like Göteborg is in Bohuslän?

Roberts sad:
Thank you! Yes, I know that Göteborg isn't in Bohuslän IRL. But I didn't want a airport and a city in the same region. So therefor Landvetter Airport got to stay in Västergötland and Göteborg in Bohuslän.
Conquer Club Wiki website is a try to gather all the knowledge about Conquer Club
Cook Roberth

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Roberth wrote:And a translation for Mr. Natty_dread.

It's not just for me but other people are going to want to know what is being said so they can participate in the discussion and give their opinion if they disagree (or even if they agree).

Therefore it is preferable that all feedback is given in english, even if the commenter & mapmaker are from the same country.

As for this situation -

Roberth wrote:Thank you! Yes, I know that Göteborg isn't in Bohuslän IRL. But I didn't want a airport and a city in the same region. So therefor Landvetter Airport got to stay in Västergötland and Göteborg in Bohuslän.

Maybe you could change it to some other city, one that actually is in Bohuslän?

Postby Roberth on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, of course your right Natty. Translation is for every one. But you pointed it out so I put your name on the answer post. :)

Well the thing is that Göteborg is the second largest city in Sweden. Also there is no city close to as big as Göteborg in Bohuslän. The biggest one in Bohuslän is Uddevalla (which by the way is the city I live in) and it got a population of about 50 000 while Göteborg has a population of 500 000. Further more Göteborg is just on the boarder of Bohuslän and Västergötland, the region is even sometimes called Göteborg and Bohuslän. The two are closely linked together.

So therefore, even on your premise Natty that gameplay goes before reality, I say that the city of Göteborg should be placed in Bohuslän so that a city and an airport don't end up in the same region and that the map will project the some of the big cities in Sweden.
Last edited by Roberth on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conquer Club Wiki website is a try to gather all the knowledge about Conquer Club
Cook Roberth

Postby natty dread on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am

Ok, that seems reasonable.

There's still the issue of the map being too cluttered, and maybe splitting one more bonus area. After those are solved, I don't think there will be much issues with this map...

Postby Roberth on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Version 4:
• Added impassables to the legend
• Split Götaland into 2 zones, Götaland West and Götaland East
• Added 2 new cities, so each zone has two cities in it

Click image to enlarge.
Cook Roberth

Re: Sweden [20 Jan 2012] V4 p.1&3 Feedback wanted

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Roberth...this is my second look at this map. :) Some suggestions if i may...
1. It is a little flat at present. Perhaps you could give the land some texture/bevel or similar to make it seem raised above the sea.
2. The bottom of the map (while i realise is probably more populated than the north) seems very cluttered. Stockholm is not quite clear as to where it is, not Arlanda Airport, and hence it is difficult to tell which territory borders which.
3. I think you could half or 3/4 the size of the city icon length wise or perhaps place it in front of the city name. That might help de-clutter the map a bit also
4. Mountains are always an issue...i don't know Sweden very much, but i guess there are some really high snow-capped ones as well as some alpine pastures. Perhaps give some contrast there and more space between them.
5. the title looks good as does the mini-map, although i would probably throw Southern Norrland +4 to the other side of the mini map - its eye real estate.
6. Gameplay wise - my main concern would be that Angermanland is a bottle-neck to both sides of it.
Good work though so far.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:38 am

The bonuses seem more reasonable now, but there's still the problem of the map being too cluttered.

I think you need to address this before anything else - I think rotating the map and then zooming in somewhat is the best possible option here.

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 am

natty_dread wrote:The bonuses seem more reasonable now, but there's still the problem of the map being too cluttered.

I think you need to address this before anything else - I think rotating the map and then zooming in somewhat is the best possible option here.

I think one way to make it less cluttered is to remove the circles. I believe this will clear it up a bit.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Roberth on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:Roberth...this is my second look at this map. :) Some suggestions if i may...
1. It is a little flat at present. Perhaps you could give the land some texture/bevel or similar to make it seem raised above the sea.
2. The bottom of the map (while i realise is probably more populated than the north) seems very cluttered. Stockholm is not quite clear as to where it is, not Arlanda Airport, and hence it is difficult to tell which territory borders which.
3. I think you could half or 3/4 the size of the city icon length wise or perhaps place it in front of the city name. That might help de-clutter the map a bit also
4. Mountains are always an issue...i don't know Sweden very much, but i guess there are some really high snow-capped ones as well as some alpine pastures. Perhaps give some contrast there and more space between them.
5. the title looks good as does the mini-map, although i would probably throw Southern Norrland +4 to the other side of the mini map - its eye real estate.
6. Gameplay wise - my main concern would be that Angermanland is a bottle-neck to both sides of it.
Good work though so far.

Thank you for your comments!
I'll test adding textures to the land, but that might just make the map more cluttered.
Yes, the south is way more populated. I'll make the city signs smaller, about the same size as the airport sign.
I didn't put much effort into the mountains, just because I wanted to get impassables into the map and find their best position.
Do you suggest that I removed the mountains between Lappland and Jämtland in order for Ångermanland not to become a bottle-neck?

natty_dread wrote:The bonuses seem more reasonable now, but there's still the problem of the map being too cluttered.

I'll try my best to make it less cluttered on this update. I agree and want the map to be clean looking.

isaiah40 wrote:I think one way to make it less cluttered is to remove the circles. I believe this will clear it up a bit.

That's a very good idea!! I'll try that.
Cook Roberth

Postby Roberth on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Version 5:
• Made the city icons smaller
• Clarified the "arrow" on the city icons that needed it
• Move "Southern Norrland" to the other side of the mini map
• Remove the circles and moved some names a little
• Moved the legend up a bit
Tested adding textures on the land, but that just made the map look more cluttered.

Click image to enlarge.
Cook Roberth

Re: Sweden [2 Feb 2012] V5 p.1&3 Feedback wanted

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Just looking at those numbers gave me a small epileptic shock lol. Can't really find anything to add otherwise when it comes to graphics. Looks good :)! Northern Norrland looks like a potential bottleneck. I would suggest removing the mountain between Lappland and Jämtland.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Roberth on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Yea, I agree that those mountains should be taken away.

Ok, do you think it looks better with circles?
Cook Roberth

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Did you personally do the art work for the coat of arms or is that a Sweden standard?
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby Flapcake on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:38 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:Did you personally do the art work for the coat of arms or is that a Sweden standard?

Thats the official one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Sweden
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby Roberth on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:05 am

As Flapcake says, it's the official one.

I only used the Escutcheon, because the full Coat of Arms would be way to big for this use.
Cook Roberth

Postby Roberth on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Version 6:
• Removed the mountains between Lappland and Jämtland
• Moved some text on the mini-map

Click image to enlarge.

Is there anything more to work on in this map for it to move on?
Cook Roberth

Re: Sweden [13 Feb 2012] V6 p.1&3 Feedback wanted

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:28 pm

The borders of the playable area still look very crude to me. The sea routes are pixelated...

Also, I'm still concerned about the map being too cluttered. Remember that you'll have to do the small version as well. Removing the army circles was good, but even without them I fear some parts of the map will simply be too crowded on the small version.

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Roberth wrote:Is there anything more to work on in this map for it to move on?

This ...
natty dread wrote:The borders of the playable area still look very crude to me. The sea routes are pixelated...

Also, I'm still concerned about the map being too cluttered. Remember that you'll have to do the small version as well. Removing the army circles was good, but even without them I fear some parts of the map will simply be too crowded on the small version.

My suggestion is to start doing the large now, in that way you won't have to redo the whole map while in graphics. You will need to do both while in game play to make sure that the numbers will fit for gameplay clarity. For now though do the large and work on that one. The large should be between 9 - 33% larger than the small.

If you have any questions, just ask! :)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 pm

isaiah40 wrote:My suggestion is to start doing the large now, in that way you won't have to redo the whole map while in graphics. You will need to do both while in game play to make sure that the numbers will fit for gameplay clarity. For now though do the large and work on that one. The large should be between 9 - 33% larger than the small.

I could be wrong, but I think this is supposed to be his large version...

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

natty dread wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:My suggestion is to start doing the large now, in that way you won't have to redo the whole map while in graphics. You will need to do both while in game play to make sure that the numbers will fit for gameplay clarity. For now though do the large and work on that one. The large should be between 9 - 33% larger than the small.

It could be, on the flip side this does need to be bigger as the numbers won't fit if the map is any smaller.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:31 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
natty dread wrote:

It could be, on the flip side this does need to be bigger as the numbers won't fit if the map is any smaller.

Anyway, I still think rotating the map would be the best solution, this would allow making the map larger without making it too "scrollable"...

Postby Roberth on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 am

I have now tried to rotate the map. Don't mind some crudeness in pixelated graphics and placement of text and army numbers. I just made this quick to see how it would be if it was rotated.
Here:
Click image to enlarge.

I don't think it makes any big difference and feel like the version before is better. What do you think? Is this rotated version better?
Cook Roberth

Postby Roberth on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 am

Btw... Should this be the large version or should I make a larger one?
Cook Roberth

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas