Conquer Club

CC Dispatch [Issue 64: 02-02-2012] Sharp Look, Dhall Issue

All issues of the newsletter.

Moderator: Community Team

CC Dispatch [Issue 64: 02-02-2012] Sharp Look, Dhall Issue

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome Comrades to the 64th edition of the Dispatch :)

BAM!
KRAKK!
ker-POW!

We're like Chuck Norris bringing in a triple roundhouse kick to your face so fast you have to take a minute or two to realize your mind has just been blown. Issue #64 is a new dawn, and quite appropriately marks the 3rd anniversary of the Dispatch! First, we have shiny new graphics courtesy of recent addition to the Entertainment Team and mapmaker extraordinaire, DiM! =D> Second, the new Office of Strategic Services premieres with a few articles I think you'll enjoy (along with an extensive, analytical introduction, thanks to now-Strategy Reporter, DoomYoshi) :) Third, Leehar and his Clan Team has put together a fun contest for Clan League Season 4 with a plethora of premium to be won (up to 15 months!) - check out the "Friendly Fire" section under the Platoon Report! :) If you have questions or comments regarding the new graphics or Strategy section, feel free to post them in the issue thread! :)

But no, no, no, we certainly aren't done yet! It's time for the Subscriber of the Issue! :D And our featured Subscriber is none other than former Social Media Contributor, squishyg! :D PM me the name of the Strategy Reporter whose article you liked most, and a General Achievement medal is yours! :D

Of course, we're not all flash and glamor (though we are quite glamorous ;) ) - we have a quality issue for you all, from a little tango with the Civil War with DoomYoshi to Doodle Assassins with crazymilkshake5 to a historical anniversary article from Dukasaur to more Foundry News with koontz1973 to clan rankings with Gunn217!

Enjoy the fruits of our laboring fingers!

Victor Sullivan
Chief Executive

If you would like to apply to join the news team, please visit the thread below for more details! :)

Click here for Recruitment Details...

Hello again Freestylers, we have an article with some backstory about the American Civil War, an Ask A Mod from Sully, and an interview with SoC mod, dhallmeyer. He talks about California, troublesome students, and coffee.

safariguy5
Freestyle Executive

Ask A Mod! by Victor Sullivan
show

Historical Perspectives by DoomYoshi
show

show: Interrogation of dhallmeyer

Welcome to the newest section of the newsletter! Now, strategy writing is perfect casual reading. By it's very nature, anything written here is of a timeless nature. That doesn't mean you can put off reading this section. Strategies can, and do, evolve. So you will need to follow along to keep on top of the current zeitgeist. In this week's article, we have a continuation of my old column, random game analysis. Also, crazymilkshake5 has asked some selected AssDoodlers about the strategy inherent in that type of game. Of course, this starts the age-old debate. Is there strategy in AssDoodling?

To answer that question, we must know what strategy means. There are many different ways to define strategy, but there is one main way to define it in terms of Conquer Club: Game Theory. The concept of strategy in game theory can be boiled down to one main concept: can the choices a player makes affect the outcome of the game?

Let's examine a heavy assdoodling (8-players with nukes). What would happen if a player were to move randomly? As in, their deployments, assaults, advancements, reinforcements and whether or not to cash were all random. Clearly, that player would have a reduced chance of winning. If your target is on Sarah Desert and you instead assault Conga, you are obviously wasting a move. What's worse, is that you might kill another player's target and make some very angry players. So, we have identified that there is at least some strategy.

Now, that doesn't actually tell us much though. Ok, so moving randomly doesn't work, but you already knew that. How can we test how much strategy there is? One way is to compare different strategies. Let's say player A decides to sit and not assault until he can make a clear run on his target and player B decides to attack non-stop en route to his target. Which one is more effective? I don't have the answer for that, but it seems the more commonly successful strategy is all-out assault. So, now we have identified that some strategies have different outcomes than others.

So, in step 1 (comparing moving randomly to non-randomly), we identified that strategy (if only as an abstract concept) does in fact exist. In step 2 (comparing different strategies to each other) we identified that specific strategies existed, although we would have to calculate statistics to see if one works over another. The main reason doodle earth is not considered strategical is that there are very few options. The total number of possible strategies is very limited, but there is some strategy, as there is in every game on Conquer Club.

Next time, I will cover the military definition of strategy and answer another age-old question: what is the difference between strategy and tactics?

Special thanks to Victor Sullivan for letting me write the intro to his new baby of a section!

DoomYoshi
Strategy Reporter

No, thank you, DoomYoshi ;) In addition, our very first Strategy Team recruit, Viceroy63, talks about the dilemma of cashing spoils in Escalating games - a great read for all of you subscribed to the SoC Training Grounds! I hope you enjoy this brand new section as we have enjoyed putting it together for you :)

Victor Sullivan
Strategy Executive

Doodle Assassin: Strategy or Sheer Luck? by crazymilkshake5
show

Random Game Analysis by DoomYoshi
show

To Trade or Not To Trade; That is the Question? by Viceroy63
show

Hello again my friends, and welcome to your favorite part of the Newsletter, "War Games", where you can find information about CC Tournaments!

This is the 3rd anniversary of the CC Dispatch, and in celebration I have produced a little retrospective on the evolution of the War Games section. However, it is not the lead article! The lead article definitely has to be plurple's article on the Prime awards, for 2011's best tournaments. Speaking of the Primes, nominations have now closed, and voting has begun. A special subforum has been created for the voting process, you can get to it here: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=678 YOU ONLY HAVE TWO WEEKS TO VOTE so get in there promptly!

DaveH has provided us with not one but two (!) installments in his Tournament Tips series, sensfan has produced another excellent installment of TPA Wrap, fuzzy316 interviews one of the winningest tournament players in CC history (shoop76) and NoSurvivors continues our longest-running series, Join This? Or Not! Enjoy!

Dukasaur
Tournament Executive

The Prime Awards by Plurple
show

Our Illustrious History by Dukasaur
show

Meet the Tournament Winners: shoop76 by Fuzzy316
show: shoop76 interview

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: Single Elimination Games

Tournament Tips by DaveH
show: Double Eliminations Tournaments

Join This? Or Not! by NoSurvivors
show

TPA Wrap by Sensfan
show

Hey there, folks! Well, it's actually Sully again. Hippo missed the wagon this issue, I guess, so here I am! :) At any rate, koontz has us covered again with another "What's Where" and "Foundry News". Hippo will be back next issue, however ;)

Victor Sullivan
Chief Executive

What's Where in the Foundry by koontz1973
show

Foundry News by koontz1973
show

Welcome to another exciting edition on the latest news on the clan scene, as we also celebrate the 3rd Anniversary for the newsletter.

We have a cracker of a section in store, and first up on the agenda is an overview of the 4th Season of the Clan league, by the Tournaments director DJ Teflon, and then we have an exciting competition in store for Clan Aficionado's as we offer more than a year's worth of Premium + assorted other prizes in our Competition Purse!
Thereafter Alt1978 returns to the Dispatch team after a short hiatus, with a preview of The All Comers Cup Final, and we have an exclusive regular monthly section to offer our readers as the much vaunted F400 officially unveils it's column in this edition of the newsletter, courtesy of the services of Gunn217
QuikSilver also starts a new column on the recruitment usage of Clan Training Grounds.

Leehar
Clan Executive

CL4 Overview by DJ Teflon
show

All Comer's Cup Finals by alt1978
show

Recruitment Method by QuikSilver and DJoach
show

F400 Ranking by Gunn217
show

Clan League 4 Contest

Sign up here for the Virtual Clan League. 6 months premium and a General Achievement medal to the winner, and 3 months premium and a General Achievement medal for both 2nd and 3rd place Contestants, while additional 3 months prize premium is available if competition entries surpass all projections and 50+ contestants participate

It's simple. Rank the clans in the order you think they'll finish in phase 1 of the regular season - and then fill in the following table to show all the clans that go out in the respective phases, and finally the winners of Division A, B and C

Entries should be sent by PM to Leehar, but can also be submitted in the thread created for this purpose in the Clans Sub-Forum (though all liability of the use of your competition submission falls on you)
Only one entry per player and no duplicate entries will be accepted.
Remember we're not counting phase 1 results, but the ultimate outcome for each clan which will only start being decided at the end of Phase 2 whence 18 clans will be eliminated.
A point will be given for each correct placing up til Phase 3, while 2 points each for the winners and runners-up in Phase 4
Therefore, you'd get 1 point for correctly predicting that OSA (for example) exit the competition in Division B-Phase 2, another if you predicted that IA only exit the competition in Division A-Phase 3 and 2 points if you correctly picked TNC as the winners of Division C.
Tie-breakers will be decided on amount of Phase 4 Winners correct.

We'll show everybody's chosen scores after entries are complete, and run updates through the season to let you know how you're doing.
Entries close at the end of Wednesday 29th February, but to encourage early entrance, 0.5 points will be penalised per result completed before submission. (As scores are given to clans in their division tables upon completion of their week matches)
Do you know your clans? Can you look into your crystal ball and see what the season will bring? Sign up and prove it! See if you can win that premium and the glittery gold thing.
Disclaimer: Contest Organizer reserves right to adjust format to correct unforeseen errors, or to increase clarity in explanation

Example picks:
Phase 1 unnecessary for competition purposes, but needed for clarity

Division 1
Foed
ID
AFOS
OSA
TLW
SOH

Division 2
LOW
AOC
VDLL
DB
IF
HH

Division 3
KORT
IA
TNC
GR
DBC
LOTZ

Division 4
Tofu
PIG
1RFG
KOA
MD
MB

Division 5
EMP
LEG
TFFS
LHDD
MM

Division 6
Pack
DYN
BOFM
OTP
RA

Division 7
TSM
G1
WAR
MYTH
AKA

Phase 2:
Division A
Foed
ID
AoC
LoW (unnecessary immediately for competition purposes, but needed for clarity, and used later)

Out: (and whereupon points start getting awarded)
KORT
IA
Tofu
PIG
EMP
LEG
Pack
DYN
TSM
G1

Division B
AFOS
OSA
VDLL
DB

Out:
Assorted 3rd and 4th place clans from Phase 1

Division C
Assorted 5th and 6th placed clans from Phase 1

Phase 3
Division A
Foed
ID

Out: (points awarded)
AoC
LoW

Division B
~

Div C
~

Phase 4
Div A Winner: Foed
Runner-up: ID (2 points awarded for each)

Div B Winner + Runner-up: ~

Div C Winner + Runner-up: ~

Stay Tuned for the next issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch for an interrogation of BigBallinStalin. Post any questions you may have for them here --> Interrogation with BigBallinStalin

Submitting Your Own Articles

If you have a story you think the ConquerClub Community would find interesting, you can submit your articles to Victor Sullivan and you may just see your article published in the Newsletter!

Subscription

Did you enjoy this Issue? Have you subscribed to the Newsletter yet?

If you want each and every issue of the ConquerClub Dispatch delivered right into your Inbox, then Subscribe Here!

ConquerClub Dispatch Team

Corporal Victor Sullivan

Re: CC Dispatch [Issue 64: 02-02-2012] Sharp Look, Dhall Iss

Postby macbone on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 am

Lovely dispatch, guys, especially that in-depth grilling of the great dhallmeyer! And DiM, awesome new graphics! Very cool.
Colonel macbone

Postby Qwert on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 pm

these ask a mod,dont have any real serious question,its all kids question. real joke
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm

qwert wrote:these ask a mod,dont have any real serious question,its all kids question. real joke

Then go ask a serious question.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:28 pm

chapcrap wrote:
qwert wrote:these ask a mod,dont have any real serious question,its all kids question. real joke

Then go ask a serious question.

Exactly ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby dhallmeyer on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Well done guys, thanks for having me.
Captain dhallmeyer
Senior SoC Training Instructor

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:What do you like on a pizza?
No anchovies or pineapple.

No pineapple :o
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby natty dread on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 am

I mean, pineapple is a badass fruit. When you eat it it actually tries to digest YOU.

(no soviet russia jokes please.)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby dhallmeyer on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:20 am

Fresh is one thing, but there are some ingredients God did not intend to be on pizza.
Captain dhallmeyer

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:09 am

natty is so right about pineapple on pizza.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Leehar on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:39 am

Anchovies are actually pretty good tho!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:06 am

Pineapple belongs in a fruit salad, not a pizza.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Qwert on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:47 am

i put mine questions 2 month ago,but then when dispach start,i realised only minor, low priority,and question what can answer almost everybody here will be presented in cc dispach.
Question like " what its map foundry?-How many games fremium can play?- What its clan?" and other joke question will be answered.
Ofcourse mine question are ignored,and nobody will answer.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:55 am

qwert wrote:i put mine questions 2 month ago,but then when dispach start,i realised only minor, low priority,and question what can answer almost everybody here will be presented in cc dispach.
Question like " what its map foundry?-How many games fremium can play?- What its clan?" and other joke question will be answered.
Ofcourse mine question are ignored,and nobody will answer.

That's not true, qwert. It just means I haven't answered it yet. If you don't like the "joke questions", then post some better ones. I certainly won't be able to ignore you if you post a whole bunch of questions ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:08 pm

I liked the Random Game Analysis. And I agree with Doom, in Arms Race if I start with a foothold on both continents I do try to preserve both. The missile is only a last resort.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby xman5151 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:05 am

I must say, I rarely read these, but some of the articles are very well written. Very interesting to read, good work Entertainment team, and all who contributed! =D>
Private xman5151

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:10 am

xman5151 wrote:I must say, I rarely read these, but some of the articles are very well written. Very interesting to read, good work Entertainment team, and all who contributed! =D>

Thanks, xman5151, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby imacamper on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Nice Dispatch! Especially enjoyed the strategy sections.
Major imacamper

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm

imacamper wrote:Nice Dispatch! Especially enjoyed the strategy sections.

Glad to hear it, imacamper, thanks :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Return to Newsletter Issues