Conquer Club

[Abandoned] CC: Perth

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities: Perth [30.1.12] V02 - new directon

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:15 am

Cairsnwk, what are the territories that give you problems with the space?

I did a quick test with 888 and the map resized to 700px x 700px and it seems to me that everything fits, maybe farndale is a bit tight but it could be fixed changing a bit the border with lynwood to fit the name of the region in the right way/have a clearer border with thornlie. What do you think about 700x700 for the small? It will be better for those who use the small maps because it's not so far from the standard 630px wide.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:17 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Cairsnwk, what are the territories that give you problems with the space?

I did a quick test with 888 and the map resized to 700px x 700px and it seems to me that everything fits, maybe farndale is a bit tight but it could be fixed changing a bit the border with lynwood to fit the name of the region in the right way/have a clearer border with thornlie. What do you think about 700x700 for the small? It will be better for those who use the small maps because it's

Nobodies

tnb80, 700x700 would be fine. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:27 pm

cairnswk wrote:tnb80, 700x700 would be fine. :)

That being said ...
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:tnb80, 700x700 would be fine. :)

That being said ...

Thanks iasiah40 :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities: Perth [6.2.12] V03 - smaller size

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

As requested above, the new smaller size is below.
I have also removed the pointed piece on South Guilford near the title and reduced the army circles to 22x22.

And this was basic xml done to test the new size... :)
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 am

Can I suggest Victiria park neutral to VP East so a lucky drop in small games allows more openness to Perth. Also South Perth to Como so the bridge is not blocked by 6 neutrals.

Just a thought and you can take this as you like, but with sailing as the theme of the backdrop, why not move the map over a tad to the right, and have the left hand sailing boats as a territ connected to Freemantle East and City beach.

Cottlesoe is hard to read on the map because of the black line running through the l.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Can I suggest Victiria park neutral to VP East so a lucky drop in small games allows more openness to Perth.

Yes you can, done!

Also South Perth to Como so the bridge is not blocked by 6 neutrals.

Done!

[img]Just a thought and you can take this as you like, but with sailing as the theme of the backdrop, why not move the map over a tad to the right, and have the left hand sailing boats as a territ connected to Freemantle East and City beach.
[/img]
OK i can do something there. It will mean a change in territories probably down in Gosnell to fit in some territories up above city beach - there is a ferry service that runs out to Rottnest Island from Fremantle and Sorrento which i will include. That would create your idea.

Cottlesoe is hard to read on the map because of the black line running through the l.

Will fix. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities: Perth [11.2.12] V04 - new colours

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Version 4.
Trying to re-work the map, colour etc. No quite happy with everything yet, but will soldier on...
Quite a few more terrs and continents.
Private cairnswk

Re: Classic Cities: Perth [11.2.12] V04 - new colours + terr

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 am

Like the added sea routes and the territs you placed them onto but would be a little worried about the line causing confusion. You have quite a bit of space there in the corner where you have explained it, is there a way to explain it without the line? Rottnest and Perth do not have docks. Will you add?
Is the neutral 3 on Swan or Dianella?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:32 am

cairnswk wrote:Version 4.
Trying to re-work the map, colour etc. No quite happy with everything yet, but will soldier on...
Quite a few more terrs and continents.

colours look better now. Much better!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Gillipig wrote:...
colours look better now. Much better!

Nice to hear!
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Like the added sea routes and the territs you placed them onto but would be a little worried about the line causing confusion. You have quite a bit of space there in the corner where you have explained it, is there a way to explain it without the line?

I'll explore the possibility

Rottnest and Perth do not have docks. Will you add?

I'll explore that also.

Is the neutral 3 on Swan or Dianella?

i think that is a left-over and should've been deleted -> next upload gone.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

It seems to me like the borders need a lot of work. The graphics of the territories just aren't very appealling.

Also, it looks like Perth connects to Fremantle instead of connecting to Rottnest Island. I'm not the biggest fan of the dashed line sea routes. And the abstract city line as the background/side image on the right should go.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am

chapcrap wrote:It seems to me like the borders need a lot of work. The graphics of the territories just aren't very appealling.

Also, it looks like Perth connects to Fremantle instead of connecting to Rottnest Island. I'm not the biggest fan of the dashed line sea routes. And the abstract city line as the background/side image on the right should go.

Thanks chapcrap for yo-ur feedback.
Yes there are some inconsistencies etc with the graphics and those i will attend to. :)
As for the background, i quite like it myself as it fits in with a cycling theme along the banks of the Swan River that i will be developing.
Do you have a suggestion as to what the background should be?
Or do others agree that it should go.
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:46 am

cairnswk wrote:Do you have a suggestion as to what the background should be?
Or do others agree that it should go.

Keep it. It fits with the city on the sea theme. All very watery.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:55 am

As far as the background goes, if people haven't been following along, I doubt they could even tell that it supposed to be a city landscape. I don't know how koontz thinks it fits just because there is water on the map.

And what about the sea routes?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:31 am

chapcrap wrote:As far as the background goes, if people haven't been following along, I doubt they could even tell that it supposed to be a city landscape. I don't know how koontz thinks it fits just because there is water on the map.

What about the sea routes? I'm sorry but i am really not a mind reader chapcrap. What are you trying to say here.
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 am

chapcrap wrote:As far as the background goes, if people haven't been following along, I doubt they could even tell that it supposed to be a city landscape. I don't know how koontz thinks it fits just because there is water on the map.

The city skyline might not be done to everyones taste but it is recognisable. cairnswk has done something that fits with the map overall. It is early days and it may change and the map itself may change, that is up to cairnswk. Perth is on the ocean so to have the docks and tree lined water front with the skyscrapres in the background fits the over all look. cairnswk has put in sea routes and sail boats so the water theme runs through out the background and into the map. Thats how I see it fitting.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 am

koontz1973 wrote:...the map itself may change, that is up to cairnswk...

Oh it will change i can assure you of that... ;)
and the theme of the outdooors etc is on the front page...i think this goes towards some idea of how the map will proceed.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:

What about the sea routes? I'm sorry but i am really not a mind reader chapcrap. What are you trying to say here.
chapcrap wrote:It seems to me like the borders need a lot of work. The graphics of the territories just aren't very appealling.

Fortunately, you don't have to read minds. It was part of my first post.

As far as the background, you can barely even tell that it's a landscape. That's the problem I have. I don't have a problem with a landscape in general, just the one that is used. It just looks like a messy blob of colors.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:46 pm

chapcrap wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Fortunately, you don't have to read minds. It was part of my first post.

As far as the background, you can barely even tell that it's a landscape. That's the problem I have. I don't have a problem with a landscape in general, just the one that is used. It just looks like a messy blob of colors.

In the bottom right corner it says Ferry Service connects Perth to Fremantle, Rottnest Island and Sorrent(o :oops: )
You don't like the dashed lines...so i was thinking that there was some other issue with the sea routes.
The wording needs changing, so what would you prefer to see there as a viable alternative that would better decribe this situation?

It would be most helpful if you have something to compalin about, then raise the issue but provide your alternative, particularly with wording.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, I would use a thinner line for the sea routes and make it a line instead of dashes. If Perth and Rottnest connect by ferry, why do they need to connect by airport as well? I was looking for a little clarification there. Does Perth border Sorrento by ferry as well? And Freemantle border Sorrento? That's what the wording says, but the routes do not really show that. They show Perth-->Freemantle-->Rottnest-->Sorrento
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:41 pm

chapcrap wrote:Well, I would use a thinner line for the sea routes and make it a line instead of dashes.

a line? OK, i was thinking i would put in docks.

If Perth and Rottnest connect by ferry, why do they need to connect by airport as well? I was looking for a little clarification there.

It's actually Perth Airport that connects with Rottnest Island by air. Perth and Perth airport are several moves away from each other.
This could lead to someone holding Rottnest Island and being strategic by attacking 4 terrtories.

[quote}Does Perth border Sorrento by ferry as well? And Freemantle border Sorrento? That's what the wording says, but the routes do not really show that. They show Perth-->Freemantle-->Rottnest-->Sorrento[/quote]
I've been looking at this obviouslysince being raised...
Ferries should connect
* Fremantle with Perth bothways
* Fremantle with Rottnest Is. Both ways
* Sorrento with Rottnest Is. both ways.
I will place this into the next map.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:03 am

Docks would be a much better solution, especially if they all border.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 pm

chapcrap wrote:Docks would be a much better solution, especially if they all border.

I'll esnure to have them on the next PS version :)
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box