Conquer Club

Gentle Revolution [15 Feb 2012]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Gentle Revolution

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 am

Hi, I like the map. Gameplay looks interesting, I'll keep looking at this and throw in my tuppance from time to time.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:44 am

thehippo8 wrote:Hi, I like the map. Gameplay looks interesting, I'll keep looking at this and throw in my tuppance from time to time.

thanks hippo :) . I work on new version, some things were another in 1989. I hope this week I will post it.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 am

here is new version. a little changed gameplay, a little less regions and changed graphics. all feedbacks are welcome :D

small version
Click image to enlarge.

large version
Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Gentle Revolution - updated version

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 am

Ok, your large version kinda looks like you just took the small version and resized it, then made some quick fixes...

Herein lies the problem - when you resize bitmaps up from smaller to larger it makes them blurry and unfocuses, it loses detail. This is because there are more pixels in a larger image, ie. there's more information. The resizing algorithm tries to guess the missing information to fill in the blanks but those algorithms are way from perfect.

What you should do is redo the large image from scratch, do all the icons for the large version, then work on the large version only for now, at least until you've received the gameplay stamp - then you can create the small version from the large.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby macbone on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 am

Flapcake wrote:
Oneyed wrote:
I thought about this, but was afraid if it will be not too complicated for english site. but I think I will go with them. ;)

Its not complicated, people dont need to know how its spoken or spelled, it will be integrated in the map and conected from the territory to the XML part behind the map,

Il say go for it, it will be more original this way and suit the theme.

It'll be hell for team games, though. =) "Ok, take, uh, what's that one called?" I'm so glad we don't use Chinese characters for the China maps. =) Still, the characters that you've used here should be fine. =)

Still, very interesting so far! I'm not wild about the gas stations, though. Could you replace them with some other method of transportation? Buses, maybe, or cars? Train depots?
Colonel macbone

Postby Oneyed on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:30 pm

natty_dread wrote:Ok, your large version kinda looks like you just took the small version and resized it, then made some quick fixes...

What you should do is redo the large image from scratch, do all the icons for the large version, then work on the large version only for now, at least until you've received the gameplay stamp - then you can create the small version from the large.

working on new large version. now I know that at the first I must do large one... thanks ;)
macbone wrote:It'll be hell for team games, though. =) "Ok, take, uh, what's that one called?" I'm so glad we don't use Chinese characters for the China maps. =) Still, the characters that you've used here should be fine. =)

when I´m not wrong in map Three Kingdoms of Korea is used korean font... :D
macbone wrote:Still, very interesting so far! I'm not wild about the gas stations, though. Could you replace them with some other method of transportation? Buses, maybe, or cars? Train depots?

thanks. why not gas stations? in the reality there are gas stations on 90% where I have them...

thanks for feedbacks and tips. they helped a lot :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby ViperOverLord on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm not digging the title, 'Gentle Revolution' b/c there's nothing on the map that explains the reason for it. I find that to be distracting and that it does a disservice to whatever theme you're trying to use.

And the state security agents look like they're giving me the finger.
Captain ViperOverLord

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm

ViperOverLord wrote:I'm not digging the title, 'Gentle Revolution' b/c there's nothing on the map that explains the reason for it. I find that to be distracting and that it does a disservice to whatever theme you're trying to use.

does anybody else has these opinions? and I mean both... :)

seriously now it is still time to change gameplay, graphic but later I do not want to redoing everything.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Oneyed wrote:
ViperOverLord wrote:I'm not digging the title, 'Gentle Revolution' b/c there's nothing on the map that explains the reason for it. I find that to be distracting and that it does a disservice to whatever theme you're trying to use.

does anybody else has these opinions? and I mean both... :)

seriously now it is still time to change gameplay, graphic but later I do not want to redoing everything.

Oneyed

I kind of agree about the shape of the security guys. It's not quite distinct enough as a silhouette.

I think the theme and the title are explained well enough, though internationally it is more well known as the "velvet revolution".

I don't think you need to state that Bratislava is "today in Slovakia". The less text the better, I reckon. You might not even need to say Czechoslovakia.
Major tokle

Re: Gentle Revolution - what the f.ck?

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Were the events in Bratislava more or equally as important to the revolution as a whole than demonstartions elsewhere in the country?
I.e. Prague?
Major tokle

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 pm

tokle wrote:I kind of agree about the shape of the security guys. It's not quite distinct enough as a silhouette.

looking for better one :)
tokle wrote:I think the theme and the title are explained well enough, though internationally it is more well known as the "velvet revolution".

velvet is used in czech republic. in slovakia it is gentle. but as I wrote this before: when velvet sounds better, I have no problems to go with it...
tokle wrote:I don't think you need to state that Bratislava is "today in Slovakia". The less text the better, I reckon. You might not even need to say Czechoslovakia.

I work on new version with less text.
tokle wrote:Were the events in Bratislava more or equally as important to the revolution as a whole than demonstartions elsewhere in the country?
I.e. Prague?

I do not think it was more important as in Prague, but the most important in Slovak republic yes. to Bratislava become people from all Slovakia.

thanks for input. :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Oneyed wrote:
tokle wrote:I think the theme and the title are explained well enough, though internationally it is more well known as the "velvet revolution".

velvet is used in czech republic. in slovakia it is gentle. but as I wrote this before: when velvet sounds better, I have no problems to go with it...

I know that. What I was saying was that it's not only in Czechia they use the term velvet revolution, it's also used internationally. Hence it would be more recognizable to an international audience than gentle revolution.
Having said that, I think the title is good enough as it is.
Major tokle

Postby Flapcake on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Nice with the road map at behind, it could be more apparent though ;)

The coat of arms are not very pretty, I suggest you replace it with one in good quality and not try to fix the current one.

over all it look better and better ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:05 am

J_Indr wrote:This is a good theme, Oneyed - hope it gets somewhere.

Also, I'd consider using háčky and čárky, or whatever you call them in Slovakia in your territory names. If you check out Iceland and Denmakr maps, they also use the ∂, ø, ö etc. symbols.

Yeah, but it's a pain to deal with, because the high-ASCII characters that are needed don't fall into the alphabet in the expected places.

You get situations like on Nordic Nations, if you forget that Aland with the loop comes at the end of the alphabet instead of at the beginning, you are trying to attack from Aland, and you go to the attack pull-down and it's not there. Eventually you realize it's at the bottom, but at first you find yourself going up and down the pull-down thinking, "Am I crazy? Do I or do I not own Aland? Where the hell did it go?"

My name is Dušan, but North American keyboards don't have the š key of course, so I have to use a 5-key combination to get it, and quite honestly I don't bother with it (except in a situation like this where I need to make a point.) Playing with high-ASCII stuff is just extra work for most people.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am

Dukasaur wrote:Yeah, but it's a pain to deal with, because the high-ASCII characters that are needed don't fall into the alphabet in the expected places.

You get situations like on Nordic Nations, if you forget that Aland with the loop comes at the end of the alphabet instead of at the beginning, you are trying to attack from Aland, and you go to the attack pull-down and it's not there. Eventually you realize it's at the bottom, but at first you find yourself going up and down the pull-down thinking, "Am I crazy? Do I or do I not own Aland? Where the hell did it go?"

Å, Ä and Ö are exactly where they're supposed to be, though. They officially do come after Z in the Finnish & Scandinavian alphabets.

Besides, now that there's clickable maps, the concern is moot anyway. You can just click on the region you want to attack to/from.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:24 am

Okay. I've done some preliminary research and found that the Gentle Revolution was a student led protest, though the rest of the country largely backed them. And for have the Communists to have caved within about a month's time (w/o major violence), I'm guessing that even the leadership wasn't stalwart for the status quo.

I'm guessing it is called The Gentle Revolution b/c of the lack of Violence. Czecks still call it the Gentle Revolution. Slovaks and the rest of the world call it the Velvet Revolution.

-----

1. I'd call the map Velvet Revolution b/c for a war game (as CC is), it makes sense when you're killing enemies to not think of it as gentle. I'd actually call the map Velvet Revolution 1989.

2. As I mentioned: Since the Velvet Revolution is a pretty obscure event to most people then it's not bad to put a background snippet if space allows. I'd make something like this (combining it with an objective that I suggest):

The Velvet Revolution Objective

To free the Chzechs and Slovaks from state control: Obtain all dissidents and public support groups. Hold them for one turn to win.

3. I felt like the squares and public security(s) were a bit much. From what I've gathered, it was meetings at theatres, institutions, etc that fostered the revolution. It seems to me that these two concepts can be merged into simply public support groups. As it is now, squares acts like its differentiating in the form of a population centre and I surmise that is not really the case.

3. Using the objective model I suggest, I would not have the public support groups be auto deploys.

4. I would allow for the state security to be auto deploy plus one but start neutral. I'd also have them be able to bombard dissidents and public support groups.

5. I would make dissidents auto deploy 2, but start neutral. I would make them be able to attack any gas station (but not other dissidents or any other territories).

6. Gas stations - Pretty much how it is at this point looks okay.

7. I'd get rid of the Communist Coat of Arms and the Public Against Violence Seal. Obviously, in the real revolution, the public against violence was real, but it hardly inspires during war game play on CC. Conversely getting rid of the coat of arms would just make sense. I think people could glean what's going on without those two banners.
Captain ViperOverLord

Re: Gentle Revolution - gameplay setup

Postby Oneyed on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

guys thanks to everybody for inputs, feedbacks and nice words :D .
about ˇ´, I will use them, I for example like nordic characters and I think I can show something from my country, language to all people.

Dukasaur, Dušan is so Slovak/Czech name so you must be from here originaly :D

ViperOverLord wrote:Okay. I've done some preliminary research and found that the Gentle Revolution was a student led protest, though the rest of the country largely backed them. And for have the Communists to have caved within about a month's time (w/o major violence), I'm guessing that even the leadership wasn't stalwart for the status quo.

I'm guessing it is called The Gentle Revolution b/c of the lack of Violence. Czecks still call it the Gentle Revolution. Slovaks and the rest of the world call it the Velvet Revolution.

you are wrong with naming. look at this sites...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Revolution, http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,4901459,00.html

ViperOverLord wrote:2. As I mentioned: Since the Velvet Revolution is a pretty obscure event to most people then it's not bad to put a background snippet if space allows. I'd make something like this (combining it with an objective that I suggest):

The Velvet Revolution Objective

To free the Chzechs and Slovaks from state control: Obtain all dissidents and public support groups. Hold them for one turn to win.

I work on new version, where (I hope) will do a little free space for short story about revolution, so people will know for what they fight on map. the objective is good idea.
ViperOverLord wrote:3. I felt like the squares and public security(s) were a bit much. From what I've gathered, it was meetings at theatres, institutions, etc that fostered the revolution. It seems to me that these two concepts can be merged into simply public support groups. As it is now, squares acts like its differentiating in the form of a population centre and I surmise that is not really the case.

it is November, 1989 and the counteraction of communist was relatively active. there were some incidents between policemen and people. there were also some provocateurs/agents.
I lived in this time period (although I was young) and I saw doubt between people, nobody knew future, nobody knew who will win - revolution or communist...

therefore I come with two different concepts - dissidents and communists.
ViperOverLord wrote:3. Using the objective model I suggest, I would not have the public support groups be auto deploys.

4. I would allow for the state security to be auto deploy plus one but start neutral. I'd also have them be able to bombard dissidents and public support groups.

5. I would make dissidents auto deploy 2, but start neutral. I would make them be able to attack any gas station (but not other dissidents or any other territories).

6. Gas stations - Pretty much how it is at this point looks okay.

you can see how will looks starting positions. every region without numbers will start neutral, so all "characters" will start neutral.
ViperOverLord wrote:7. I'd get rid of the Communist Coat of Arms and the Public Against Violence Seal. Obviously, in the real revolution, the public against violence was real, but it hardly inspires during war game play on CC. Conversely getting rid of the coat of arms would just make sense. I think people could glean what's going on without those two banners.

this will be implemented to short story...
thank you for so big feedback and analyse. :)

guys, I think today I will come with new version. ViperOverLord has some notices for gameplay (some of them I like), so let´s talk about bonuses, characters and so on.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:34 pm

as I promised here is new version.
- changed gameplay, state securtiy agents and public security splitted in one
- changed number of regions
- changed bonuses
- gas stations changed to crossroads
- added objective
- added short story
- changed graphic

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Last edited by Oneyed on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:38 pm

"flew into fall of the reign of the communist party".
I think you need to rephrase thaat sentence. I don't quite get what it's trying to say.
Major tokle

Postby Oneyed on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 pm

tokle wrote:"flew into fall of the reign of the communist party".
I think you need to rephrase thaat sentence. I don't quite get what it's trying to say.

present time: flow into (culminate in)...

I will need help with english :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby tokle on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Oneyed wrote:
tokle wrote:"flew into fall of the reign of the communist party".

present time: flow into (culminate in)...

I will need help with english :)

Oneyed

Maybe something like "led to the fall of the communist party"?
Major tokle

Re: Gentle Revolution - new gameplay, new graphic

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:16 am

Two possibilities for you:

A peaceful demonstration organized by Slovak students in Bratislava - during November 16, 1989 - sparked demonstrations all over Czechoslovakia and brought about the revolution against communist totalitarianism and the downfall of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.

November 16, 1989: A peaceful rally by Bratislava students sparked revolution throughout Czechoslovakia resulting in the collapse of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia and the end to communist totalitarianism.

I can't say either is perfect. The first is grammatically correct but the second a bit more dramatic! I'm not suggesting you choose either, but they may help you work out what you are trying to express.

One final one ...

November 16, 1989: Bratislava rally sparks revolution and the collapse of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.

Removes the bits that are cumbersome.

Still looking at the map itswelf, but liking what I see so far.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:01 am

thehippo8 wrote:
November 16, 1989: Bratislava student rally sparks revolution and the collapse of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.

Added "student" to the above and I think you've got it.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 pm

many thanks guys for help. :D

if there is more wrong text or if it is something unclear it would be great if somebody will edit my text...

will do changes by yours advices soon, just now I work on Fragmentaton of CSFR map...

ones more thanks to everybody.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Oneyed on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:50 am

edited text by thehippo advice. also changed symbol for "square", now it better fit with public security symbol.

Click image to enlarge.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas