Conquer Club

Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] Vacation please.

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [17/2] V3.3

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Done.
Click image to enlarge.

Let me just first say that I didn't think all changes were bad :), making sarsfield and floresta into one territ looks better. And I like the "new" colours on the old city better. But the houses, skyscrapers and is it huts down there in the old city? I didn't like any of that! (which I'm sure you suspected lol) Aren't there any rivers going through Buenos Aires that you can use? I understand if you don't want to pound the entire map with trees as impassables but there must be some other form of border decreaser you can use! The water still needs some work I think as it doesn't quite do the job of looking like water yet.
If you twist the name "coghland" 90 degrees and move it up a bit and I think it's in it's natural place.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby ask me2 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I don't have any advice, but this looks great.
Major ask me2

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Gillipig wrote:...Aren't there any rivers going through Buenos Aires that you can use?...

If koontz1973 did a map of the greater area of Buenos Aires, there are several river systems that could be used.
But in the city area, any are most likely to have been turned into storm water drains and covered in cement as apart of city infrastructure.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flapcake on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I realy likes all the types of houses, the style fit the rest of map nicely, also the trees suits better with the houses.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Gillipig wrote:Let me just first say that I didn't think all changes were bad :), making sarsfield and floresta into one territ looks better. And I like the "new" colours on the old city better. But the houses, skyscrapers and is it huts down there in the old city? I didn't like any of that! (which I'm sure you suspected lol) Aren't there any rivers going through Buenos Aires that you can use? I understand if you don't want to pound the entire map with trees as impassables but there must be some other form of border decreaser you can use! The water still needs some work I think as it doesn't quite do the job of looking like water yet.
If you twist the name "coghland" 90 degrees and move it up a bit and I think it's in it's natural place.

Not all changes are going to be looked at favourable by all. I added the houses as it was a suggestion. You are right in thinking the brown ones are wooden huts, they are in the earliest part of the city and therefore fit. The coloured houses popped up around the turn of the centary and the flats in the 40/50's. So they fit the idea of the map. Had some "dice" on the map for the modern houses but took them off. Not really any rivers, only one could be used and it runs along the outskirts of the city.
cairnswk wrote:But in the city area, any are most likely to have been turned into storm water drains and covered in cement as apart of city infrastructure.

Will have a look into this and see if they can go on. Maybe start them of as a river in the old part of the city and then turn them into drains in the modern part.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] V3.4

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Finished of my buildings, but will keep on working on them to get them super nice.
Removed the duck pond in the south west. Idea - should a compass go in?
Played around with the territ lines.
Made some territs bigger for legibility.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby CAPK81 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

wow very nice you have talent my friend
Major CAPK81

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks CAPK, any GP that needs to be added or removed. I looked into the rivers/drainage systems, and there is one that could be used but it would be a new impassable and also a very long one. So will not add it. I know houses are not the bog standard map impassables but so what.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:23 am

koontz1973 wrote:Thanks CAPK, any GP that needs to be added or removed. I looked into the rivers/drainage systems, and there is one that could be used but it would be a new impassable and also a very long one. So will not add it. I know houses are not the bog standard map impassables but so what.

Houses doesn't make sense any sense as impassables. Mountains are impassables because they are hard to pass with armies, so are rivers and forests. Houses are never lined up so orderly that they form an impassable line several hundred miles long! There are forests that can't be passed by armies, there are rivers that can't be passed by armies, there are certainly mountains that can't be passed by armies. This is not really a minor reality check error, it's a major one! You might just as well line up pencils for several hundred miles. Houses can't be impassables on large scale maps! Sorry for ranting about this but I feel like you need to hear it!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Flapcake on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 am

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Thanks CAPK, any GP that needs to be added or removed. I looked into the rivers/drainage systems, and there is one that could be used but it would be a new impassable and also a very long one. So will not add it. I know houses are not the bog standard map impassables but so what.

Houses doesn't make sense any sense as impassables. Mountains are impassables because they are hard to pass with armies, so are rivers and forests. Houses are never lined up so orderly that they form an impassable line several hundred miles long! There are forests that can't be passed by armies, there are rivers that can't be passed by armies, there are certainly mountains that can't be passed by armies. This is not really a minor reality check error, it's a major one! You might just as well line up pencils for several hundred miles. Houses can't be impassables on large scale maps! Sorry for ranting about this but I feel like you need to hear it!

I think your beeing to nick picking here, the houses koontz made are very nice for impasables, Again (I have to say again) gameplay comes in first, and the houses makes sense in that matter, mountains in a city does not, we got so many city maps with rivers or neutral/blank impasables, but thise houses bring a different and butifull addon to this very nice map.

Thanks for letting out the steam ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:40 am

Gillipig wrote:

When has BA been several hundred miles long?
Try walking through a house and see what the police say?
houses are very good impassables for a city map. Roads would also make good impassables (London and many more). So would rivers (in Jakarta and other maps). House tend to be lined up orderly, they are called roads, most of them tend to be straight. As for forests not being able to be passed by armies, the French thought that in WW1 and 2. Mountains have always been able to go through, have you not heard of paths or passageways.
All I am say gillipig, is why cannot houses be used? and why should I make maps that are so bog standard they are two a penny on the site.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

houses are very good impassables for a city map. Roads would also make good impassables (London and many more). So would rivers (in Jakarta and other maps). House tend to be lined up orderly, they are called roads, most of them tend to be straight. As for forests not being able to be passed by armies, the French thought that in WW1 and 2. Mountains have always been able to go through, have you not heard of paths or passageways.
All I am say gillipig, is why cannot houses be used? and why should I make maps that are so bog standard they are two a penny on the site.

Hmm. looks like I made blunder :oops: ! I remember thinking this was a map of Argentina when I wrote that. I don't like the houses but it's not unreasonable to have them as impassables in a city map. So ignore that comment please. Some days I should just stay off the computer!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Gillipig wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

Hmm. looks like I made blunder :oops: ! I remember thinking this was a map of Argentina when I wrote that. I don't like the houses but it's not unreasonable to have them as impassables in a city map. So ignore that comment please. Some days I should just stay off the computer!

Not to worry.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Classic Cities : Buenos Aires [20/2] Vacation please.

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 am

This map wasn't stamped with the draft stamp yet so, following our guidelines, it can't be labeled as a vacation project.
I'm going to move it to ideas.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby italianipastido on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey i live in Belgrano! haha. Cool map bro... and about the pretty girls.... you are ABSOLUTLY RIGHT! haha
Major italianipastido

Postby Pirlo on Sun May 27, 2012 10:58 pm

love it!
Captain Pirlo

Postby koontz1973 on Sun May 27, 2012 11:47 pm

This one will come back, as soon as one of the others gets to the final forge.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas