Conquer Club

tutoring the mapmaking

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

tutoring the mapmaking

Postby Oneyed on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:23 am

I do not know how it works exactly with blue guys, but I have two maps in Drafting Room. there are several guys who posted there, but each one has his notices, opinions.

did anybody think about something as Map Tutors? they would not be only blue guys, but some skilled guys who will sorted maps in Drafting Room and each one will have 2-3 maps which he will tutoring and his advices will lead mapmaker (less skilled or new one) to Stamp and Main Foundry Workshop.

I wrote this, becasue I have realy some problems in my maps. I try to follow advices, but they are sometimes incongruity... therefore I think when there will be one Tutor he will has the main voice which advice should be implemnted and which one no.

just my five cents here :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: tutoring the mapmaking

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 am

Move this to foundry discussions?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby blakebowling on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 am

natty dread wrote:Move this to foundry discussions?

On its way.
Private blakebowling

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 am

To answer the question:

The cartographers (and assistants) who are in charge of the drafting room are there to help you, part of their job is to help new mapmakers to learn the basics of mapmaking.

As for following advice... that's something which you just have to figure out. There are always conflicting opinions, sometimes even between cartographers, and you just have to learn to balance between feedback and your own judgement - it gets easier with time and experience, but even experienced mapmakers have trouble figuring out which feedback to follow, at times.

The point is though, there is no one whose opinion is infallible, no matter how experienced they are. Of course you should put more weight on the feedback of those who have more knowledge and experience, but it still doesn't mean that they are always right, and you should still listen to everyone's feedback and suggestions, even if you don't agree with all of them.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Return to Foundry Discussions