Conquer Club

Inca Empire [12-02] V5

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Inca Empire [12-02] V5

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Hm, I have some concerns about clarity... I don't think the mountains are visible enough, nor do they really fit the style of the map.

The borders look weird at some places. What's with the double line between earth/water? The rivers also look sloppy, and the corner of Jauja/Machu picchu/Chupachos is unclear, does Jauja connect with Chupachos?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 pm

I think the organization of the information display (legend, region names) feels pretty haphazard, and this could be because that both the legend text and the region text are roughly the same style and the same size. The organization from your previous draft was a little easier to swallow.

In terms of graphic embellishments (iconography, etc) I like the style of the Round Face Icon. The other images jar with the aesthetic I think. So the line-drawing-sort-of-method might be the way to go, in my humble opinion.

I'll also say, I think I might have liked the darker overall version of your previous version.

Keep up the work,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm

I find the earlier versions more appealing graphically. It seems like a lot is changing with every version. Version 3 looks like it has a better style to me, as far as how the map is made.

This latest version is hard to understand. And the Incan images around the edge of the map look they've been thrown in wherever they would fit.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Jippd on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Also are the trails attack paths or just decoration? that should be more clear if they are attack paths and if they are decoration I wouldn't label them.

I also think the border lines need to be a little more clean they seem jagged and to not curve/flow smooth.

Might want to label mountains and rivers as impassable?
Major Jippd

Postby sannemanrobinson on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 am

Jippd wrote:Also are the trails attack paths or just decoration? that should be more clear if they are attack paths and if they are decoration I wouldn't label them.

They are not just decoration as they give a +3 bonus.

Jippd wrote:I also think the border lines need to be a little more clean they seem jagged and to not curve/flow smooth.

Might want to label mountains and rivers as impassable?

Thanks. I will work on it.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby Jippd on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 am

So you mean if I hold every territory along a trail it is a +3 bonus. so there are four of those +3 bonus' then right?

The explanation of that bonus should be more clear I think.

Also if I'm reading it right for example holding hatun canar iquitos, chupachos, and queros is a +3 bonus right?

If so the footprints should always stop and start in the middle of the territory they start/end in so it is clear that is where a trail starts or ends.

For example only one foot on chan chan...can be confusing, and I don't think it would hurt to extend the feet to end/start in the middle
Major Jippd

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 pm

This map reminds me a lot about California. Same form, colours look fairly alike. Different theme though.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I think you need to seriously reduce the clutter on the map, there's just to much going on for me to focus on any one point of the map. Also, I think the map would look much better if you increased the saturation, as is its too light and its hard on the eyes.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I think you need to seriously reduce the clutter on the map, there's just to much going on for me to focus on any one point of the map. Also, I think the map would look much better if you increased the saturation, as is its too light and its hard on the eyes.

I do agree that the map is difficult to look at in terms of coloration. As for it being too busy, I don't agree on that point.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Re: Inca Empire 20-1-2012

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

natty dread wrote:
The Bison King wrote:There's nothing wrong with having strategic points on the map that can consolidate your borders provided both ends of the map are balanced against each other.

There kind of is actually.

For one thing, one player can easily block eliminations of another player for his own advantage if he can block a large are by fortifying one or two regions. There should be possibilities for this on a map, but they shouldn't be made too easy.

I personally do not like linear maps (when I say linear guys its because when i see a map I use my pad by my computer and sketch it out with lines and balls- and it will look linear with a wraparound at both ends if it has choke points and such) Because with one mistake its game over. BUT I dont have a problem with them being made if the drop can be made even.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Unstickied for now. Sent map maker a PM asking for a status update.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas