Conquer Club

[GIMP] Paint Studio

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[GIMP] Paint Studio

Postby natty dread on Tue May 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Disclaimer: I would only recommend this for experienced GIMP users. If you're still unfamiliar with basic GIMP usage, I would not advise installing this until you get more familiar with GIMP itself.

I'd like to introduce a very nice GIMP extension to all GIMP users here.

It's called GIMP Paint Studio, and you can install it if you have GIMP installed - it's very easy, you just unpack it to the folder where you have the gimp settings, brushes, etc. - not the main gimp folder that's under program files, but the second folder that's in documents & settings. Well, there's instructions for installing here: http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint ... stallation

What it does is, it adds tool presets, lots of cool and very useful brushes, gradients, etc. to your GIMP, which are great for painting and drawing.

The home page is: http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/

Direct link to the latest GPS release: http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint ... p&can=2&q=
Last edited by natty dread on Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: GIMP Paint Studio

Postby natty dread on Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Here's a little doodle to demonstrate

Click image to enlarge.

Re: [GIMP] Paint Studio

Postby spacewrekker on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:01 pm

is GIMP available for Mac users?
Captain spacewrekker

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 pm

yes.

Postby Oneyed on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:56 pm

I found some great tutorials for GIMP from natty_dread, but I heard about script_fu for GIMP. I can not find it for download.
does anybody use script_fu? does anybody know about any website where I can download it?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 am

Script-fu is included in all versions of gimp. It's just one of gimp's scripting languages which you can use to write scripts that do things to your image. You can also use python or perl but support for those needs to be installed separately (at least in 2.6).

Personally I think the syntax of script-fu is horrible and I'd rather write any scripts in python.

Postby Oneyed on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 pm

thanks.
so if I can add for example shadow to layer or glow I need python install to my GIMP?

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

No, you don't need python to do that. Unless you want to use a script that is written in python. Then you do need python.

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm

natty, I have several the same (text, towns) layers. how can I choose all of them without merge them to one layer? for opacity and so on...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Oneyed wrote:natty, I have several the same (text, towns) layers. how can I choose all of them without merge them to one layer? for opacity and so on...

You can't, you have to adjust opacity of each individually.

Postby Oneyed on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

natty dread wrote:
Oneyed wrote:natty, I have several the same (text, towns) layers. how can I choose all of them without merge them to one layer? for opacity and so on...

You can't, you have to adjust opacity of each individually.

I was afraid :lol:

thanks.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm

in photoshop you can put your layers in a group/folder and then adjust the opacity and blending mode of that folder and it affects everything inside it.

isn't something similar in gimp, too?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm

DiM wrote:in photoshop you can put your layers in a group/folder and then adjust the opacity and blending mode of that folder and it affects everything inside it.

isn't something similar in gimp, too?

Not in 2.6.

2.7 and the upcoming 2.8 have layer groups though, which work the same way as folders. It's just that 2.8 hasn't been released yet and 2.7 is potentially unstable (it's the development branch), hence why I'm choosing to wait for 2.8...

I do have a portable version of 2.7.4 installed which works pretty well, but it has some slight bugs still.

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:08 pm

it sounds cool. it's not only a feature that saves you time but it can also create very interesting effects.
for example you have several layers put on overlay at 100%opacity and then you set their group on a different blend mode for a new outcome.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:31 pm

DiM wrote:it sounds cool. it's not only a feature that saves you time but it can also create very interesting effects.
for example you have several layers put on overlay at 100%opacity and then you set their group on a different blend mode for a new outcome.

Yep, I just tried it in 2.7.4 and it works just like that. You can put several layers in a group, set them on whatever layer modes, and they get first "merged" into a single layer inside the group, and then you can set the group on another layer mode, sort of like "stacking" different layer modes.

Also, you can put groups inside groups... which is also neat.

Man I can't wait for 2.8...

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 pm

i can't believe gimp didn't have groups until now.
i'd be dead without them. i like my layers to be neatly organized. without the groups i'd have a huge mess because usually my maps can get to hundreds of layers and sometimes i have even over 1000 or more.

here's how the layer structure for island of doom looks:
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:46 pm

DiM wrote:i can't believe gimp didn't have groups until now.

Yeah, well, no one's paying those guys to develop it... ;)

Still, it's making steady progress, and lots of people are moving to gimp due to it's efficiency and customizability - photoshop is today widely criticized for it's software bloat, ie. adobe trying to fit in everything they can think of to the same package... while gimp's approach is to keep the main program lighter weight and let the users customize and modify it as they like.

DiM wrote:i'd be dead without them. i like my layers to be neatly organized. without the groups i'd have a huge mess because usually my maps can get to hundreds of layers and sometimes i have even over 1000 or more.

Yeah... I often have to merge layers, just to keep the layer list tolerable. Eurasia only has 130 layers... I can't wait to see how many more layers my maps will have once I get to sort them in groups :lol:

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 am

natty, where is Outer Glow, Inner Glow, Drop Shadow and similar things in GIMP?

and especialy can add Shadow, Outer Glow to text layer?

thanks.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:37 am

You're going to need to install scripts to get those kind of effects.

The Layer Effects script is pretty ok for this purpose, you can download it here: http://registry.gimp.org/node/186

Download the script-fu version (there are instructions on the page) and save it to your scripts folder. If you're using windows it's usually something like C:\Documents and settings\username\.gimp-2.6\scripts

Postby Oneyed on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:01 am

thanks natty, but I have mesage when I tried to open script_fu that is can not open it.

Oneyed

EDIT: it works now! :D big thanks natty.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Return to Tools & Guides