Conquer Club

New Zealand [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Zealand [5.2.12] V10-P7 - Gameplay Stamp perhaps?

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:12 pm

iancanton wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:In regards to Southland, even if it is in a corner, it seems hard for me to say it is equally valuable as Auckland and Wellington, it seems worth more.
Andy, i kinda agree about Southland, i think it's worth +4 - it has 8 territories, 3 of which are natural borders, and 1 of those is a black plane being able to be assaulted from 4 other terrs, effectively giving it 7 bordering terrs that can attack it.

my main point of reference is classic north america, which has one more region, but is attacked by only 3 bonus zones instead of 5. i agree that all 3 borders being connected is not enough advantage to reduce the bonus by 1, so +4 (excluding the tiki) is appropriate.

OK. that's agreed. +4 for Southland.

cairnswk wrote:Before i go further, and i appologise to any who has already suggested it, does anyone want to split Canterbury...re-exmaing the regions now it is simply too large.
What about a split Ashburton-Mt Hutt and Selwyn?

if u want to split canterbury into north and south, then that's the logical place to do it.

OK, i'll do that and see what the bonuses are.

by the way, i really dislike the mouths of the rivers being closed off instead of running into the ocean.
ian. :)

yes, that will be fixed in graphics one i discover how to do it in Illustrator easily with the gradient tool

btw ian, i am asking you to re-examine the sea link Whanganui to Coromandel...
previously Gillipig proposed this link

For gameplay reasons Northland and Auckland held together needs to have 3 borders! Otherwise in 1v1 games it'll only be about who can hold those bonuses. I suggest making a dotted connection between Whangerei and Coromandel.

so my question is...should this link still be removed on the above...?
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [15.1.12] V8 P5 - Gameplay Done?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:04 pm

iancanton wrote:...
northland: drop from +2 to +1 because of the end-of-map location, but remove the ferry route, which is rendered unnecessary by kataia airport.

Done
auckland: raise from +2 to +3 because of the one-way assaults.

Done
waikato: drop from +6 to +4 because of lack of airport, but remove the ferry route to discount northland as an enemy zone.

Done
bay of plenty: no change at +3.

Done
gisborne: no change at +2.

Done
taranaki: drop from +2 to +1 because it's in the nearest thing on this map to a corner location.

I re-thought this one ian...i think it could be a +2 due to the fact it's got a +4 and +6 either side of it, and is assaultable from 4 other airports?
manawatu: no change at +6.

Done
hawke's bay: drop from +4 to +3 because of having only 4 regions.

Done
wellington: raise from +2 to +3 because of the one-way assaults, which more than compensates for having only 3 regions.

Done

nelson: drop from +3 to +2 because of the near-corner location.

Done
marlborough: drop from +3 to +2 because of having only 3 regions.

Done
west coast: perhaps raise from +3 to +4 unless u block off either nelson lakes or karamia (a marginal case).

Left at +4
canterbury: raise from +6 to +8 because of the one-way assaults, two airports and large number of regions.

N and S Canterbury have been given +4 each, half of what was suggested, but also because i thought that was entriely reasonable for each region
otago: no change at +5, since the removal of dunedin airport is cancelled out by one-way assaults to queenstown.

Done
southland: drop from +4 to +3 because of the end-of-map location.

As per discussion above with Andy, Southland raised to +4

Adjusted V 10 plus my bonus calculator for interest

Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [17.2.12] V10-P7 - Bonus discussion

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:01 pm

The rivers are now fixed in V10 above.
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:23 pm

cairnswk wrote:The rivers are now fixed in V10 above.

that's much better!

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:
taranaki: drop from +2 to +1 because it's in the nearest thing on this map to a corner location.

I re-thought this one ian...i think it could be a +2 due to the fact it's got a +4 and +6 either side of it, and is assaultable from 4 other airports?

although i still think +1 is more suitable (compared with gisborne, for example), i can see ur reasoning if u want a +2 for taranaki.

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:canterbury: raise from +6 to +8 because of the one-way assaults, two airports and large number of regions.

N and S Canterbury have been given +4 each, half of what was suggested, but also because i thought that was entriely reasonable for each region

not sure why u've reduced north canterbury so much. i'm fully in agreement with ur spreadsheet: 5 borders plus one-way attacks against the white airport means +5 (excluding the tiki).

other than this, i'm completely happy with what u have.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:37 pm

not sure why u've reduced north canterbury so much. i'm fully in agreement with ur spreadsheet: 5 borders plus one-way attacks against the white airport means +5 (excluding the tiki).

other than this, i'm completely happy with what u have.

Ian, sorry, do you mean S canterbury? S canterbury is +5 on the spreadsheet...N canterbury is +7, so i'm a little confused as to which region you're talking about. Could you clarify please.

Also i looked at N Canterbury and it already has 1 tiki bonus and only needs 4 other forts to covers its borders.
It has 6 terrs while S Canterbury has 7 terrs. I thought it would be easier to holder this than the S Canterbury.
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [17.2.12] V10-P8 - CB Check added

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 pm

This is the deuteranope CB test for these colours on this map using ImageJ from the Visicheck site...V10 CB test addded to Page 1

Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 am

cairnswk wrote:Ian, sorry, do you mean S canterbury? S canterbury is +5 on the spreadsheet...N canterbury is +7, so i'm a little confused as to which region you're talking about. Could you clarify please.

Also i looked at N Canterbury and it already has 1 tiki bonus and only needs 4 other forts to covers its borders.
It has 6 terrs while S Canterbury has 7 terrs. I thought it would be easier to holder this than the S Canterbury.

i'm agreeing with north canterbury's +6.5 on the spreadsheet: +5.5 normal and +1 tiki. given the 5 borders, including one-way attacks to christchurch, we need at least +5 normal and +1 tiki, which matches the spreadsheet's +6.5 rounded downward.

south canterbury is fine at +3 normal and +1 tiki. the spreadsheet gives +4.58, which can go either way and u've chosen downward. compared with north canterbury, downward is correct because there are only 3 borders, no one-way attacks into timaru and one of the smallest numbers of adjacent enemy bonus zones on the map.

to help those whose vision isn't so good, may i suggest using the auckland colour in hawke's bay and vice versa? hawke's bay and bay of plenty are very similar in shade. having the bright yellow auckland colour in hawke's bay provides much-needed contrast.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:03 am

i'm agreeing with north canterbury's +6.5 on the spreadsheet: +5.5 normal and +1 tiki. given the 5 borders, including one-way attacks to christchurch, we need at least +5 normal and +1 tiki, which matches the spreadsheet's +6.5 rounded downward.

south canterbury is fine at +3 normal and +1 tiki. the spreadsheet gives +4.58, which can go either way and u've chosen downward. compared with north canterbury, downward is correct because there are only 3 borders, no one-way attacks into timaru and one of the smallest numbers of adjacent enemy bonus zones on the map.

to help those whose vision isn't so good, may i suggest using the auckland colour in hawke's bay and vice versa? hawke's bay and bay of plenty are very similar in shade. having the bright yellow auckland colour in hawke's bay provides much-needed contrast.

ian, thanks for the clarification on those. Will attend to next version in the next few days.
Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [21.2.12] V11-P8 - CB Check added

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Version 11

1. Ian bonuses implemented for N S Canterbury
2. Auckaland colour to Wellington; Manawatu colour to Auckland: Wellington colour to Manawatu to overcome the closeness of colur issue ian had - but not pur a big section of bright yellow in Manawatu as it would have been too dominant on the map.

Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [21.2.12] V11-P8 - CB Check adjusted

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Hmmm ... I think that Otago and S Canterbury's colors could be switched. Otago is too close to West Coast, and S Canterbury is too close to N Canterbury in the CB test.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Hmmm ... I think that Otago and S Canterbury's colors could be switched. Otago is too close to West Coast, and S Canterbury is too close to N Canterbury in the CB test.

Wouldn't that still make the S Caterbury and West Coast CB colours too close.
I'll keep searching for a solution that makes good aesthetics on the map also. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:06 am

cairnswk wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Hmmm ... I think that Otago and S Canterbury's colors could be switched. Otago is too close to West Coast, and S Canterbury is too close to N Canterbury in the CB test.

I'll keep searching for a solution that makes good aesthetics on the map also. :)

On my monitor, I they wouldn't be close at all.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 am

isaiah40 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

On my monitor, I they wouldn't be close at all.

Oh, well on mine it tells a different story.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:13 am

Guys, you need to calibrate your monitors.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 am

natty dread wrote:Guys, you need to calibrate your monitors.

OK, please tell us how to do that, i haven't changed my monitor or adjusted any controls on it since i got over fours years ago.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:27 am

Was there a colour profile (.icm) file provided with your monitor?

If not, the monitor manufacturer might provide one on their website... they're usually in the same place where they provide driver updates and such. After you have the colour profile file, you need to go to the display settings (if you use windows) and there to the advanced settings, and there should be a tab where you can select the colour profile to use - there, add the colour profile you downloaded and set your system to use it.

Alternatively, your monitor might have an option in it's settings to use the sRGB colourspace, in which case you can use the standard sRGB colour profile, which should be installed in your system by default.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 am

natty dread wrote:Was there a colour profile (.icm) file provided with your monitor?

If not, the monitor manufacturer might provide one on their website... they're usually in the same place where they provide driver updates and such. After you have the colour profile file, you need to go to the display settings (if you use windows) and there to the advanced settings, and there should be a tab where you can select the colour profile to use - there, add the colour profile you downloaded and set your system to use it.

Alternatively, your monitor might have an option in it's settings to use the sRGB colourspace, in which case you can use the standard sRGB colour profile, which should be installed in your system by default.

There probably was, but i have also changed my computer but not the monitor - Asus VW192T Splendid.
I have nwo changed the colour profile to sRGB colourspace, so i'll see if there is any difference.
Thanks for your assistance on that. :) Much appreciated.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 pm

Guys, the colors look fine on my screen. Well, everything looks a little green.

In all seriousness, this map is growing on me more and more.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Guys, the colors look fine on my screen. Well, everything looks a little green.

In all seriousness, this map is growing on me more and more.

--Andy

Nice humour Andy, enough to lighten my mood. Boy, tax is going to be hard this semester!

Anyways, a couple of colour changes on the South Island...plus the CB test to go with it. :)

Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [22.2.12] V11-P8 - CB Check 2 adjusted

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:13 am

Oh...and i have to ask...minimap for the bonuses or as is/similar to now?
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 pm

The way the bonuses are described right now seems perfectly clear. I see no need for a minimap.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:40 pm

ender516 wrote:The way the bonuses are described right now seems perfectly clear. I see no need for a minimap.

I think I agree.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 pm

ender516 wrote:The way the bonuses are described right now seems perfectly clear. I see no need for a minimap.

AndyDufresne wrote:

I think I agree.
--Andy

Gents, thanks for coming in so quickly to comment...
The reason i asked this question is that i am feeling the current text style while adequate because of colouration etc, couldn't be improved upon with a visual representation as well as text. Now i say as well as text because one of the reasons i do these maps apart from enjoyment for players etc and myself, has a sub-motive of education. That is one of the reasons i started with the CCC map. IN this case, if players can see where the Bay of Plenty is then they are more likely to remember it by playing the map over a couple of times if it is good enough for them to do so.
So below is an example of what the North Island might look like. What do you think?

Private cairnswk

Re: New Zealand [22.2.12] V12-P9 - Legend? minimap, text or

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm

I think the mini-map here works out very well!! Just move the abbreviation down between the mini-map and airport instructions and it will be perfect!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: New Zealand [22.2.12] V12-P9 - Legend? minimap, text or

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Poll details
Length: 14 days
From the above image Version 12 map...much of the clutter has been removed so people can see more clearly what they are voting for.
You have two options to vote for and votes are changeable should you wish.
Please only place one vote in Mountains and one vote for Legends.
The category with the largest vote will go onto the map with consideration given to any welcome constructive comments posted :)

Mountains:
There are 4 styles of mountains to decide upon:
* Blue box - these are filled and outllined mountains drawn in PS and imported to Illustrator as bitmaps
* Rex box - these are filled mountains only with outlines removed in PS, but black vector outlines added in Illustrator
* Old style no box - these are the original mountains
* Combinations - indicate in the poll if you think a combination of the three styles might be appropriate

Legend:
There are 3 styles of legend to decide upon:
* Text only - this is the same text style that is currently on the map for the South Island
* Mini-map - this is the mini-map without the text indicating the region names
* Mini-map and text - combination of mini-map and text - allowing players to recognise the regions by name
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas