Conquer Club

iPhone/iPod mobile CC app!

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

iPhone/iPod mobile CC app!

Postby Ballslap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey guys,

I have recently started building an iPhone/iPod app for CC. Version 1 can be downloaded from http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/conquer- ... 37999?mt=8 . This is a simple app that saves your login details, auto-logs you in and displays your current games which can then be accessed in-app.

I have plans to enhance the game playing experience for version 2. A few features I have been thinking about adding to the game play:

Adding a 'big red button' to initiate an assault instead of having to click those small boxes.
Adding an overlay view which will display details of selected territories, amount of troops to reinforce/assault, etc.
Adding a pull down menu which will display a list of player stats that can be retractable to display more of the game view.

I'll need to do something with the map but I think this is going to be my biggest problem. Considering most of the maps are quite large (and all different sizes!) I think zooming is still going to be a necessity on a small handheld device. Although I would like to make it so you're not constantly zooming all over the map all of the time. Any suggestions?

Let me know what you think of the app and if you have any suggestions as to what can go into future versions. Hopefully I will have access to the info required to add all the features we need to make this a quality app!

If you can let others know, and spread the word around about it (and rate it on the app store!) we can get more ideas and feedback rolling which would be great for the app.

Cheers
Captain Ballslap

Re: iPhone/iPod mobile CC app!

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I downloaded and started using it a little bit.

It seems like the actual gameplay and everything is just linked through Safari, so there really isn't much difference than just playing on a browser on your phone. I do like the way you can look at your waiting games though. The mini map pics and the game info is nice at a glance.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby s3xt0y on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 pm

floating attack menu
small map in the top corner so you can select what quadrant of the big map you want to view and then you can zoom in and out from there.
Sergeant 1st Class s3xt0y

Postby Ballslap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:13 pm

chapcrap wrote:I downloaded and started using it a little bit.

It seems like the actual gameplay and everything is just linked through Safari, so there really isn't much difference than just playing on a browser on your phone. I do like the way you can look at your waiting games though. The mini map pics and the game info is nice at a glance.

As I said this is only version 1. Manipulating the actual gameplay is going to be a pretty big job so I figured it would be better to get a version out, see what people think and get a few ideas going about what can be put into future versions.
Captain Ballslap

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Ballslap wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I downloaded and started using it a little bit.

As I said this is only version 1. Manipulating the actual gameplay is going to be a pretty big job so I figured it would be better to get a version out, see what people think and get a few ideas going about what can be put into future versions.

I think that was an idea for you.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Ballslap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

I'm going to start working on the gameplay of the app in the next version. I will get in touch with the creators of CC to try and get better access to the inner workings of the game, but as it stands what features do you think could benefit taking your turn (through safari)? I made some suggestions in my original post, would these things help the overall experience?
Captain Ballslap

Postby Barney Rubble on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:55 am

Nice cover page but your app wont open up on an I Pad after Name and password entered actually shuts the app off .Deleted for now I will try loading it on my Iphone and see .Just thought Id let you know .
Rubble
Corporal 1st Class Barney Rubble

Postby EBConquer on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 am

This is a great start... bravo! It works perfect for me.

That was a pet peeve my on the iPad constantly having to login if i set it down for a little bit. Now i just click and i'm in. very nice! I'm looking forward to any additions that you may add. Another thing that may simple and useful is a 'back' button. maybe i'll stick to forum browsing in Safari for now.

Cheers.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby Ballslap on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks EBConquer! Appreciate the feedback.

Being honest I thought the app would only be used for actual gameplay so didn't add in a back button. Would a "forum" button on the main view which brought up a browser with controls, i.e. back, refresh, etc. work? Or would you want to be able to access the forum via the game view, with added controls on this browser as well?

Are people interested in the CC News feed? Should I add this to the next version as well?
Captain Ballslap

Postby Ballslap on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey guys,

I found the reason why some of you were having trouble installing the app. I am using a feature that is only available to iOS 5. I'll change it so it will work on pre-iOS5 devices and submit an update to the app store.
Captain Ballslap

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm

I loaded it and will check it out. Kudos for making it
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby Barney Rubble on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Doesnt the I pad already have updates to the iOS5 ?

Postby Barney Rubble on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Sorry guys Im not that computer literate hehe My Iphone4 runs the iOS5 I will try that

Postby Barney Rubble on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeh thats hating it too Ok I guess we will see what happens

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Just downloaded it. Very nice start! Like the others said, perhaps try for an interface that's different than safari :)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Barney Rubble on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Ok I will try that .
Thks

Postby macbone on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Any chance you could make a version for those of us with an earlier iOS? It looks like I'm stuck with iOS 4.2.1. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Barney Rubble on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Rotating on the screen would be good as well !

Postby Ballslap on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:59 am

macbone wrote:Any chance you could make a version for those of us with an earlier iOS? It looks like I'm stuck with iOS 4.2.1. =)

I located the problem for pre-iOS 5, made the changes and sent a new version for review on the app store. It usually takes between 4-7 days for an update to go through. I'll let you know when it's been accepted and ready for download. Hopefully it'll be soon!
Captain Ballslap

Postby happy2seeyou on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:09 am

You can get to the forums when you look at your games but once you are in the forums there is no way to go back to a previous page I had looked at. On the Pinterest app, they have a hidden menu bar that when you scroll up, it appears. That kind of menu option would be nice on your app
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby macbone on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Cool, Ballslap! I'll take a look at it when it's updated.
Colonel macbone

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Somewhere to easily accept game invitations would be good.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Crazyirishman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 am

A great start to that app, I like how game waiting menu is set up and how you can see all the players ina game by swiping, its still a little cluncky in terms of using the app, but thats understandable for th first verison. Great job
Captain Crazyirishman

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:13 am

One more thing: A Game Finder option.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby EBConquer on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:31 am

Ballslap wrote:Thanks EBConquer! Appreciate the feedback.

Being honest I thought the app would only be used for actual gameplay so didn't add in a back button. Would a "forum" button on the main view which brought up a browser with controls, i.e. back, refresh, etc. work? Or would you want to be able to access the forum via the game view, with added controls on this browser as well?

Are people interested in the CC News feed? Should I add this to the next version as well?

i would say probably controls during the game view. i frequently find myself checking peoples walls, tournaments, etc and a back button would be a nice addition without having to go back to the main view if i don't need to.

Also too, in the 'main view', would it be a big deal to put the players names next to the game number so that you don't have to scroll right to see who's playing. seems there would be enough room. (what about throwing in the number of cards everybody has? this one isn't a big deal... just a perk).

i'm not too interested in the CC news feed as other things would seem to take precedence. also, i know some have mentioned not wanting to pay for the app but a suggestion would be to put a 'donate' there in case anybody wants to help support your efforts as these things take time and lord knows you're not getting paid by the site.

cheers!
Colonel EBConquer

Next

Return to Tool Archives