Conquer Club

[Rules] Warning for new players about difficult map/settings

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Rules] Warning for new players about difficult map/settings

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Concise description:
When a newish player tries to join a game, a message could appear suggesting that this map, or some of the settings, are particularly difficult for players unfamiliar either with the map or the settings.

Specifics/Details:
Essentially this message should not disallow the new player from joining, but would give them fair warning that they're entering a map with special rules, or a type of game that might be unfamiliar to them. They would, of course, have the option of joining anyway, but that's up to them. A link to the rules or one of the strategy guides to the particular map might be good to include, although possibly more difficult to implement.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
This strikes me as a good possible compromise for the four groups who are involved in the argument about farming (though I'm not going to say it's a complete fix).

1) Mods- it'll save a lot of hassle if newbies have been told that they're playing a difficult map or setting and want to try it anyway.
2) People accused of farming- if the accusations are true, you can point out that they were warned, if not, you have an extra filter against newbies joining your games without knowing the basics.
3) Most players- You won't have so much to worry about with new players deadbeating because they have no idea what to do on the map they just joined, plus, fewer arguments about farming.
4) New players- more likely to stick around if they at least have a warning that they've chosen the difficult setting when joining a game.

Now, of course, this isn't a suggestion for a complete solution to all farming woes. And the big problem with this suggestion is what do we consider a difficult map, or a difficult set of settings.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Pop up warning for new players about difficult maps/sett

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:59 pm

As far as difficult maps go, basically anything that isn't plain old classic gameplay should be considered difficult, at least to somebody who has never played anything like that. I would think most new people to the site have never played anything other than risk, and so would be very unfamiliar with the many different types of gameplay we have here.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Woodruff on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:07 pm

tkr4lf wrote:As far as difficult maps go, basically anything that isn't plain old classic gameplay should be considered difficult, at least to somebody who has never played anything like that. I would think most new people to the site have never played anything other than risk, and so would be very unfamiliar with the many different types of gameplay we have here.

Yeah, that makes sense to me too.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:14 pm

tkr4lf wrote:As far as difficult maps go, basically anything that isn't plain old classic gameplay should be considered difficult, at least to somebody who has never played anything like that. I would think most new people to the site have never played anything other than risk, and so would be very unfamiliar with the many different types of gameplay we have here.

I was thinking more maps with special rules in and of themselves. Anything with an objective, bombardment, aggressive neutrals, non-cohesive territory groups (super max comes to mind). The thing is, of course, that some maps have just one weird rule that's not too difficult to figure out.

Previous suggestions have kind of said that certain maps should be off limits entirely, which is why I see this as a possible compromise. It's also pretty much in line with a lot of computer games that ask a kind of "are you sure" question if you want to play on the difficult settings.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby everywhere116 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:

I was thinking more maps with special rules in and of themselves. Anything with an objective, bombardment, aggressive neutrals, non-cohesive territory groups (super max comes to mind). The thing is, of course, that some maps have just one weird rule that's not too difficult to figure out.

Previous suggestions have kind of said that certain maps should be off limits entirely, which is why I see this as a possible compromise. It's also pretty much in line with a lot of computer games that ask a kind of "are you sure" question if you want to play on the difficult settings.

These maps already are off limits to new recruits. Which maps are considered to be too complex is beyond me, though.
"Disease, suffering, hardship...that is what war is all about."-Captain Kirk, from "A Taste of Armageddon"
Corporal everywhere116

Postby Symmetry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:41 pm

everywhere116 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

These maps already are off limits to new recruits. Which maps are considered to be too complex is beyond me, though.

I was kind of thinking more about having them accessible, but with a warning. That's why i see it as a compromise suggestion.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:56 am

This is a good suggestion, much better than all the "prevent people from playing rank X/ settings Y" suggestions put together.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby greenoaks on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:36 am

i found no settings or maps difficult when i started.

but then i had no idea what Risk was or how basic of a game the rest of you played.

long live Age Of Realms 2.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Symmetry on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:19 pm

greenoaks wrote:i found no settings or maps difficult when i started.

but then i had no idea what Risk was or how basic of a game the rest of you played.

long live Age Of Realms 2.

This is pretty much why I think this suggestion might work as a compromise- some players are pretty relaxed about any kind of settings or maps even from the start.

You'd be the kind of player who saw a warning that said, I dunno "This map has special rules best designed for experienced players, are you sure you want to play?" or something along those lines, and click ok. Others might decide that they want something a little easier to understand.

Anyway, like I said, I don't see this as a fix for everything, and there would have to be a set of decisions to be made about what constitutes difficulty etc..., but I could see it working.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Evolution299 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Solid idea.
Sergeant 1st Class Evolution299

Postby Criticalwinner on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:50 am

They don't let "newish" players join any assassin games or huge team games, so I think that they've done a decent job. They might need to expand it a little more, but overall this idea had been implemented.
Sergeant 1st Class Criticalwinner

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 am

We have some things currently in the works in regards to new recruit protection. Stay tuned!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Symmetry on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:We have some things currently in the works in regards to new recruit protection. Stay tuned!

--Andy

Good to hear. Hope this one is in the mix.

Sym
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby sgfried on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:56 am

I like your suggestion about the pop up. I do not know how difficult it would be to set up my suggestion, I don't write code. But, what if there were say "levels" of difficulty in maps. And in order to join in a map with increased level of difficulty you had to play at least one game of it (or maybe 2) in the training section with other newbies. That way, in theory, newbies would get 1-2 games to wet their feet. Or lets say in order to play that map out side of the training section, you had to come in the top half of the finishers in at least one game in the training room. The games must be 6 or more players to count. That way, those who do not grasp the subtleties of the more difficult maps would be kept out of farming range of the blood sucking leaches who troll for the ignant. Did I just write that? oh crap.....
Captain sgfried

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

I like the idea. Implementation might be difficult, but in principle I will throw my support to this one.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Criticalwinner on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:45 pm

greenoaks wrote:i found no settings or maps difficult when i started.

Don't we all wish we were as amazing as greenoaks?

AndyDufresne wrote:We have some things currently in the works in regards to new recruit protection. Stay tuned!

--Andy

It is slowly happening! And we needed change, so I''m eagerly awaiting it. This is a decent idea as well.
Sergeant 1st Class Criticalwinner

Postby eggrollonedolla on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 pm

I think the simpliest thing to code would be to break down maps into two catagories...1 basic gameplay. 2 advanced tactics. things like classsic, senate, etc would obv go into group 1. maybe you add a 3rd for betas to be able to seperate them out from both simple and advanced.
Captain eggrollonedolla

Postby TheGeneral2112 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm

--Andy

A pop up warning saying beware of GLG taking advantage of your inexperience?

=D> =D>
Lieutenant TheGeneral2112

Postby Symmetry on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:42 pm

eggrollonedolla wrote:I think the simpliest thing to code would be to break down maps into two catagories...1 basic gameplay. 2 advanced tactics. things like classsic, senate, etc would obv go into group 1. maybe you add a 3rd for betas to be able to seperate them out from both simple and advanced.

I'd probably also add certain combinations of settings into the mix, not just maps- although I think that maps are a good place to start.
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Archived Suggestions