Conquer Club

overextending

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

overextending

Postby TAZ2012 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I've discovere one main problem, with the way I play, that has led me to lose nearly every single game.
Overextending my forces, trying to take all at once. How can i curb this? I do it every game.
to simplify it, I get greedy, and lose the game.
Cadet TAZ2012

Re: overextending

Postby Woodruff on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:50 pm

TAZ2012 wrote:I've discovere one main problem, with the way I play, that has led me to lose nearly every single game.
Overextending my forces, trying to take all at once. How can i curb this? I do it every game.

Well...don't get greedy and overextend yourself? I mean...it seems like you've identified your problem, and the obvious answer is simply to play more conservatively.

What sorts of game-types do you typically play?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Jippd on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:42 pm

The best suggestion would be to join the society of the cooks. They will teach you how to play games and work with you, a lot more then you could learn from this one thread.

Like you said yourself thought, stop overextending...if you can't defend it, then what is the point of taking it. All you do is waste more troops and make yourself a target.
Major Jippd

Postby vonraider on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:54 pm

I have played over 400 games now and I still do it. I guess it's a matter of self control!
Private vonraider

Postby Iron Butterfly on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:50 am

It depends on they game type. It depends on the map.

Escalating you win by staying alive with several stacks spread startegicly across the map. The card cash is what wins these games not the land bonus.

While playing a no spoiks game patience is key as is timing. A bonus is very important for these games.

It would help if we knew your map and game format.
Captain Iron Butterfly

Postby Jatekos on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 am

TAZ2012 wrote:I've discovere one main problem, with the way I play, that has led me to lose nearly every single game.

Think ahead: Plan your actions as well as trying to predict your opponents' reactions (for at least one round).
Be prepared for the worst possible scenario, too: What would happen if your attacks failed and your opponents only rolled 6s and would be able to cash their cards.

If your original plan still seems to be good then execute it. If you feel that you would be overextending and would not be able to hold the bonus zones you wanted to take over then it is very likely to be so. In these cases you should try to come up with a better plan.
Major Jatekos

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm

vonraider wrote:I have played over 400 games now and I still do it. I guess it's a matter of self control!

Sounds like you also need to join up with the SoC's. =)
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby oss spy on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 pm

I often see myself doing this too. The key here is to get a bonus semi-early and not to to after another one for quite a while. If you play with fog, build up troops one territory behind the boarder of a bonus you want to go after next. When you have enough troops (do a few probing attacks ahead of time to get an estimate of their troop count) you should go after the bonus and try to get it all in one turn to avoid a war of attrition. This is the reason you'll need a lot of troops- you need to defend the boarder after you get it.

The key is to not attack until you can defend yourself from a counterattack and to only attack if you have an overwhelming force. Nothing's worse than building a big stack only to find that the enemy has a bigger one.
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

Postby aad0906 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Do NOT get a bonus if you aren't reasonably sure you can't keep it. Once you have a bonus, put up proper defenses. Who is neighbouring it and how much do they deploy each turn. Also, people tend to gang up on the dominating player. Try to be lurking in the shadow as the number 2 guy, ready to step in.
Major aad0906

Postby oss spy on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:56 am

aad0906 wrote:Do NOT get a bonus if you aren't reasonably sure you can't keep it. Once you have a bonus, put up proper defenses. Who is neighbouring it and how much do they deploy each turn. Also, people tend to gang up on the dominating player. Try to be lurking in the shadow as the number 2 guy, ready to step in.

This is what I said...
2012-04-05 19:05:58 - Eagle Orion: For the record, my supposed irrationality has kept me in the game well enough. Just in rather bizaare fashion.

2012-04-05 19:06:28 - nathanmoore04: Look at your troop count...
Sergeant 1st Class oss spy

Postby W F Crappeshotte on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 am

Different maps and different game types require different tactics: there is no "one size fits all." It's a matter of delicate judgement, assessing when to switch from slow and steady expansion to the sudden killer land-grab that tips the game in your favour. In my case, I usually play TOO conservatively and someone else makes that killer land-grab "the turn before I was going to." Oh yes... The other players' styles make a bit of a difference too!

You've identified the problem and you know the answer, so it's all down to you. If you really cannot restrain yourself, then let the game do it for you and try playing Trench.
Captain W F Crappeshotte

Postby Kaskavel on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:01 am

Much good advice here. I will add one more piece that is not usualy heard of. Do not attack from defending positions, no matter what the strengh you have. If your boarder of a bonus has 10 troops, this does not mean that you have to attack the adjacent 3s, despite the fact that you have the attacker's advantage.
Colonel Kaskavel

Postby DannyUncanny on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

The key thing is your understanding of the game. Armies are power, territory is not. Territories are a liability, they have to be defended, they spread you thin. They are only worthwhile if their payout covers their cost, and often it doesn't, because as soon as you have a bonus, people want to attack you, and you are throwing away armies fighting. If you just kept to yourself adding 3 at a time, you might end up with more armies than you would fighting for territory.
Lieutenant DannyUncanny

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

For all things under heaven there is a time and a season. You can never go wrong with being patient at first and just build up your forces for that eventual land strike because the only way to win this game is to gain all the land. But doing it all in the right way and time.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby Arama86n on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:50 am

DannyUncanny wrote:The key thing is your understanding of the game. Armies are power, territory is not. Territories are a liability, they have to be defended, they spread you thin. They are only worthwhile if their payout covers their cost, and often it doesn't, because as soon as you have a bonus, people want to attack you, and you are throwing away armies fighting. If you just kept to yourself adding 3 at a time, you might end up with more armies than you would fighting for territory.

Viceroy63 wrote:For all things under heaven there is a time and a season. You can never go wrong with being patient at first and just build up your forces for that eventual land strike because the only way to win this game is to gain all the land. But doing it all in the right way and time.

Well said gentlemen.
It is the thing that seperates the men from the boys in many games. I tend to sit back and let others beat themselves bloody and bide my time. Still working on getting that timing right though, it's an art.
Major Arama86n

Postby StinknLincoln on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:31 am

Simple answer (not to overextend) but difficult to execute. Similar to day trading/scalping
Private StinknLincoln

Return to Conquer Club Discussion