Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 pm

First time I'm looking at this map.
Let me start with the positive things I've got to say :).
I like how the symbols look. I'm not sure what their function is since it's not very clear from the legend. But nonetheless they look very well done! You have managed to make the bonus colours look good as well and I like the theme.
Now the bad stuff :).
The lakes, the river and the ocean looks very bad! Especially around the edges. You also need to find something else than just whiteness to surround the playable area with. The white stuff doesn't cut it. You can do a lot of things that will look fine. The gameplay and bonuses aren't clear because the legend is very hard to look at. That's all I can think off for now.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby VicFontaine on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Gillipig wrote:First time I'm looking at this map.
Let me start with the positive things I've got to say :).
I like how the symbols look.

Thank you! We're working very hard. The army marker positions WILL CHANGE graphics and, slightly, positions.

Gillipig wrote:I'm not sure what their function is since it's not very clear from the legend.

Well, the Legend does need some improvement, but the font, we hope, will stay the same. It's a more historic font and, while we can probably do better, this is the best we've found. The map is actually very easy to understand. Just like, say, Stalingrad map, you look at it and go, "WTF!?" But, after you really look at it, and after you play it a few times, you really start to go, "Oh...that makes perfect sense. This is great." Again, as I've said before, we're not going for simplistic, Luxembourg gameplay, but something with more depth and complexity that can make you think you're well in the lead and then...POW...you get nailed from a position that slipped your mind.

But thank you, again, for the kind words. And again, we're working to clear it up more and more.

Gillipig wrote:But nonetheless they look very well done! You have managed to make the bonus colours look good as well and I like the theme.

If you like the "theme," wait until you see the theme fully revealed by the background images in the border states. It'll be fantastic, educational, and if anyone knows anything about Mississippi history and US history, it will just "make sense" and "feel" terrific. Thank you for your kind words.

Gillipig wrote:The lakes, the river and the ocean looks very bad! Especially around the edges.

Not so much. The Gulf will change. We think the Mississippi River looks great as is. We'll discuss other possibilities, but we like the way it looks. Some will like it. Some will not. But since you're the first person to comment about the River looking "very bad," we're going to assume the vast majority like the way it looks and stick with it (since we also like it 8-) ).

The Gulf does need some slight tweaking. The main thing that causes eye-pain, I think, is the color of the boats against the backdrop of the Gulf. Either the boats and the Gulf should change, or just one or the other (70-30 leaning towards the boats, though).

Gillipig wrote:You also need to find something else than just whiteness to surround the playable area with. The white stuff doesn't cut it. You can do a lot of things that will look fine. The gameplay and bonuses aren't clear because the legend is very hard to look at. That's all I can think off for now.

There will be ghosted images that create the "theme" of the map inserted into the off-white border states. However, this has nothing to do with gameplay, so we'll deal with that another time. All to say: definitely.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Seamus Corrigan on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd like to see this map move forward. The primary criticism I would have to offer is that the map is not featuring the South's number one export:

John Boy and Billy
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus Corrigan

Postby VicFontaine on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Seamus Corrigan wrote:I'd like to see this map move forward. The primary criticism I would have to offer is that the map is not featuring the South's number one export:

John Boy and Billy

LOL! "Can I give a shout out, John Boy!?"
"Sho Nuff! Go fer it!"
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:18 am

I've looked over this a few times now to figure out the best way to rearrange things so you won't need to go so big. Right now you can crop the height down from the 1024 to 1000. So if you can do that and update your supersize application with what sizes you are looking - both small and large- then I will take another look and go from there.

On a side note, I don't think you can use that Elvis image, as it looks like it is either Trademarked, Registered Trademark, or Copy-written.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:47 am

isaiah40 wrote:On a side note, I don't think you can use that Elvis image, as it looks like it is either Trademarked, Registered Trademark, or Copy-written.

what isaiah said. --> http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=5255
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby VicFontaine on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:45 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:On a side note, I don't think you can use that Elvis image, as it looks like it is either Trademarked, Registered Trademark, or Copy-written.

what isaiah said. --> http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=5255

We'll find another one.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Quick update: Map Manipulator and Board Designer is on a longer vacation than I thought. He'll return around April 7th from extended vacation.

Sorry about this; I was thinking he was only gone for about 10 days. Expect a few more updates and our response to the size limitations by the 2nd week of April.

Thank you for your patience, folks.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby Gillipig on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 am

VicFontaine wrote:Quick update: Map Manipulator and Board Designer is on a longer vacation than I thought. He'll return around April 7th from extended vacation.

Sorry about this; I was thinking he was only gone for about 10 days. Expect a few more updates and our response to the size limitations by the 2nd week of April.

Well this map is still in the melting pot so there's no time table forced on you other than what you put up for yourself.
Hope you can get back to this map because it looks interesting.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:19 am

Gillipig wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:Quick update: Map Manipulator and Board Designer is on a longer vacation than I thought. He'll return around April 7th from extended vacation.

Well this map is still in the melting pot so there's no time table forced on you other than what you put up for yourself.
Hope you can get back to this map because it looks interesting.

Thanks. He's about 7,000 miles away so we really won't make fast progress like we were until he's back home. However, we are still tweaking it here and there about once every couple weeks.

We are committed to moving it forward.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:51 pm

how in the hell is this map still in melting pots... this is proof that the map makers are a good ole boy society.

I do not like Mississippi nor really this map. But I am telling you now it will play better than 50% of the current trash that gets pushed through.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:how in the hell is this map still in melting pots... this is proof that the map makers are a good ole boy society.

I do not like Mississippi nor really this map. But I am telling you now it will play better than 50% of the current trash that gets pushed through.

Thanks...? I think? :) :lol:

We're working hard to shore a few things up. I still don't know why it's not moved to draft yet. I asked several times. I never heard anything, or if I did, I missed it completely. I think it has enough there that is perfectly playable as it is, more or less. It needs tweaking, sure, but all the foundations are in place.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:32 pm

VicFontaine wrote:I still don't know why it's not moved to draft yet.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=162571&p=3638316#p3628337
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Do me a favor and pm me when you've dealt with the Elvis copyright image and adjusted the size as per Isaiah's instructions. If you PM me when these things are done I'll be able to move this into Drafts as soon as possible.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Do me a favor and pm me when you've dealt with the Elvis copyright image and adjusted the size as per Isaiah's instructions. If you PM me when these things are done I'll be able to move this into Drafts as soon as possible.

Yep I missed it. Thanks! Will do.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 pm

industrial and natty, you both should be ashamed... I mean truly.

This is in melting pot? are you fucking kidding me?

should it make it out of the process as is? hell no... should this map be here with the circle and line maps? hell no.

There is no excuse.

copyright on an elvis image? are you kidding me? lol

I am finished with this thread but I will chime in as it makes it out of melting pot to add gamep[lay ideas.

I think it will play fine as is, I am not excited about it, but as it stands if it was a finished map it would be better thanm a lot of CRAP that is played atm.

cheers and gl, even if you are a damn rebel
Maps Maps Maps!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:21 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:industrial and natty, you both should be ashamed... I mean truly.

Copyright infringement is serious enough that we'll need to alter the image. That's child's play, so it's no big deal. We'll make a new one. No biggie.

army of nobunaga wrote:I think it will play fine as is, I am not excited about it

Would appreciate anything you could add that would make it more exciting of a map. Whatchu thinking?

army of nobunaga wrote:cheers and gl, even if you are a damn rebel

How's that? 8-)
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
army of nobunaga wrote:industrial and natty, you both should be ashamed... I mean truly.

Copyright infringement is serious enough that we'll need to alter the image. That's child's play, so it's no big deal. We'll make a new one. No biggie.

army of nobunaga wrote:I think it will play fine as is, I am not excited about it

Would appreciate anything you could add that would make it more exciting of a map. Whatchu thinking?

How's that? 8-)

ole miss rebels? I guess you are not lol.

I grew up in chicago and in the hills in arkansas... not a Mississippi fan at all. lol

You guys have a great start of a map that is frankly embarrassing to me that it is here in melting pot.

I suspect it will get moved soon or I will keep raising hell.

Natty and industrial are about as fair and level headed mapmakers you will find here, I do not believe they subscribe to the good ole boy school of cc maps. I think if you guys do what those two request, this will shoot through.

gl. like I said, this map as far as I am concerned offers nothing attractive to me, but maybe in the gameplay section we can offer up some ideas of negative territories and cool bonuses... and make it a champ.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm

Army of Nobunaga, if you want to criticize the foundry process, you can start a thread in the Foundry Discussions forum. Map threads are meant for map development, not off-topic chit chat, so please try not to post into map threads unless you have some feedback to offer to the mapmaker.

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:

How's that? 8-)

ole miss rebels? I guess you are not lol.

No sir...lol. Bulldogs of Mississippi State. Don't gimme this "hotty toddy" crapola. :)

army of nobunaga wrote:I grew up in chicago and in the hills in arkansas... not a Mississippi fan at all. lol

I lived at La Salle and Wells for many years....Oh how I miss Giordanos.

army of nobunaga wrote:You guys have a great start of a map that is frankly embarrassing to me that it is here in melting pot.

I suspect it will get moved soon or I will keep raising hell.

Natty and industrial are about as fair and level headed mapmakers you will find here, I do not believe they subscribe to the good ole boy school of cc maps. I think if you guys do what those two request, this will shoot through.

Yeah it seems that way. Talked with the Designer a few minutes ago. He's going to see what he can today while on vacation. Thankfully, he took his work with him!

army of nobunaga wrote:gl. like I said, this map as far as I am concerned offers nothing attractive to me, but maybe in the gameplay section we can offer up some ideas of negative territories and cool bonuses... and make it a champ.

I had considered some negative terts. I'm unsure what they would be. But it could become very interesting if we can work on that. Will you stick around to the draft stage and help with some of those suggestions? Can't promise we'll take them, but the map will be better for the debate.

PS - Natty, I took what he was saying as suggestions. I'm grateful he posted.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:11 pm

VicFontaine wrote:PS - Natty, I took what he was saying as suggestions. I'm grateful he posted.

Suggestions are fine, but "raising hell" is not... there's a time and place for everything, and the place for complaining about the foundry procedure or the conduct of CA:s is the foundry discussions forum, not map threads.

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 pm

natty dread wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:PS - Natty, I took what he was saying as suggestions. I'm grateful he posted.

Suggestions are fine, but "raising hell" is not... there's a time and place for everything, and the place for complaining about the foundry procedure or the conduct of CA:s is the foundry discussions forum, not map threads.

So...do you have a suggestion for this map, or are you just going to keep complaining about what he wrote? :lol:

I jest. Smile.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:24 pm

natty dread wrote:Army of Nobunaga, if you want to criticize the foundry process, you can start a thread in the Foundry Discussions forum. Map threads are meant for map development, not off-topic chit chat, so please try not to post into map threads unless you have some feedback to offer to the mapmaker.

waa waa fucking waa

I see a great fucking map after this many views and posts in this forum.

defend yourself..

good ole boy

there is no excuse.. do not make yourselves mockerys... Ill post in general and in off topic about this. We should get more people looking at this.

Dude I am not even saying I like the map..

the fact that I am now playin 12 STUPID ASS MAPS THAT GOT PUSHED THROUGH... and you guys have a solid here... says a lot.

a lot
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 pm

fucking weak natty.. i use to be your biggest fan.... fucking weak.

lol do you play these bullshit ass maps that you guys let through?? YOU DONT. I do... there is a large Stupid quotient going on here.
Maps Maps Maps!

Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Okay aon, that will be enough. Please stop this at once!
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box