Conquer Club

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.11.12] QUENCHED

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

That looks much clearer.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [23.2.12] V29-P24 Final adjustments

Postby DiM on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:52 pm

the current version looks NOTHING like what was shown here:

why are all the stations blurry when you showed us you can make them crisp and sharp?

here are the images side by side:

clean sharp station in the middle .................... current blurry version
Image Image
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: RAIL ASIA [23.2.12] V29-P24 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 pm

Attachments
Rail_Asia_Final_6.xml
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:57 pm

ender516 wrote:That looks much clearer.

Thanks ender516
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.3.12] V30-P25 Final adjustments

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 am

Some of them are still blurry. Upon a closer examination, I discovered that you are using a 1px line which when you put it on the light background shows the bleeding sort to speak. Which creates a 2px line with 1px being faded which is making the lines look blurry. I hope I made sense?
Whatever you did to make these vertical lines clean and crisp is what you need to do to all the lines, both vertical and horizontal. You will also notice that your 1px lines actually ended up being 2px lines in this shot.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 am

He can't do that....not using coreldraw....why it's so hard to understand? :?
Anyway....since it seems now we play this game with a magnifier....I was asked to bin this map by the mapmaker.

[Moved]

As said to cairnswk, I'll move the rest later...as soon as I have the time to do it properly.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 am

thenobodies80 wrote:He can't do that....not using coreldraw....why it's so hard to understand? :?

HE already made a clean sharp station. entirely made by HIM. so HE can do it. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

Gentlemen
I have made three good attemps at getting these blurry lines correct now. Why some work and others don't i simply don't know.
The third attempt was made by redrawing all the stations and text in another program on the background on the grid system of Illustrator and even this came out blurry when magnified although to the naked eye they appear as good.
If you want to say "here's cairns having another tantrum" - go ahead.
But I am really tired of playing this game of magnified blurry lines that i simply do not know how to fix, therefore the map is no longer viable for your standards, and i am no longer interested in trying to fix it.
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 am

He can do it but not with coreldraw, read what I write DiM, not just part of it....Anyway I'm not here to argue with you.

Now I propose to go with a democratic system....this is a simple a direct question: who, a part DiM, thinks this map is not playable or that has a quality that is not acceptable?

Pro:
thenobodies80
Gillian
Ender516

Cons:
Dim

Please let me know or I'll go using my own judgment system.
Thanks

Nobodies

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:He can do it but not with coreldraw,

this is BULLSHIT. he already proved that he can do it. i don't care if he uses photoshop, coreldraw, mspaint or simply farts and the crisp stations come out.
the point is he can do it so he should do it.

you want a democratic system? since when was this how the foundry works?
that means that if i call 100 people to support me i can pass anything around?

you want to use your own judgement? by all means do it but be careful what you choose.

let this slide and soon anybody will say "yea i can correct the pixelated lines but not in the software i use"
"sure i could make the borders crisp and nice instead of blurry, here's a sample, see how nice they are? but i won't do it in the final image cause i made them in photoshop not coreldraw"

PS: my laptop just crashed so i don't have photoshop available. is this a good excuse to make all my updates in paint? :roll:
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Maybe one of you nice cartographers could assist cairnswk if he doesn't have the tools to do what you would like. Even though I am not a fan of the Rail series at all, this map looks like it would be a nice addition.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 pm

DiM, you're a good mapmaker but you still have a lot to learn about diplomacy.
If I have to be a pixel inspector I can find also on your maps things that need a fix.
I respect you and I don't want to argue with you about a map, specially if it's not a my own work. But damn I have a list of people that is annoyed by your way to say/tell things. Learn a bit to work/live with the others. Maybe you're lucky and it doesn't happen to you, but I know lot of people that would like to break something on your head. Com'on, don't make a fuss for everything ! Or nothing I would say. The foundry was a so quiet place...no need to bring a strom with you all time. ;)

AndyDufresne wrote:Maybe one of you nice cartographers could assist cairnswk if he doesn't have the tools to do what you would like. Even though I am not a fan of the Rail series at all, this map looks like it would be a nice addition.

--Andy

Already asked to cairnswk, he kinldy declined the offers providing a good answer a thoughtful reasons. Simply DiM is making this bigger than what is really just because he do in this way when things don't work like he thinks. O:)

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:24 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Maybe one of you nice cartographers could assist cairnswk if he doesn't have the tools to do what you would like.

that's not necessary, he HAS the tools and he CAN make crisp nice stations. he just doesn't want to.

here's a sample MADE BY HIM:
notice how nice and crisp that station is? if he did that, then he clearly can do all, right?
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:04 pm

DiM, your intentions are good. But few people want to respond to anyone that comes across like a jerk or a dick or a negative nancy or like you have a personal vendetta because you don't like someone's style of map, idea, etc. It's a lot like politics. When one side is yelling, the otherside will never hear the content, just the volume. Volume often just makes any process even tougher than it has to be for little overall benefit.

Part of the issue may be the internet medium, that people cannot read facial expressions and hear tones of voice, that go along with text. Perhaps your words would seem less so if we were in person having a real conversation. But with just words, it can probably sound awfully loud and vindictive.

Best of luck everyone,

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah, remind me this: :lol:

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I have to say I kind of agree with Dim here, although not necessarily with the way he expresses his views.

Remember nobodies when I had pixelated lines on my london map? I also had lots of trouble fixing them, at one point I thought I couldn't do it with the tools I had available. But after a while I figured out a way to make them better, because people kept pushing me to try harder on it.

If I can share another anecdote, there have been lots of times when I've thought I've had a great looking map, then some people have come along and pointed out things that are really annoying for me to fix due to the way the map image is constructed or something, really small things that are proportionally hard to fix - like on Eurasia map having to figure out a way to even out the dashes on the sea routes or add the piece of land in greece - those would seem to an outsider like small fixes but due to the limitations in the software I use and the way I've constructed the map images they were both really much harder to fix than you'd think. But in the end I've always ended up making those fixes, even though I first feel like "shit, that's a lot of work for small gain, I'm not going to do that"... but I guess my inner perfectionist always takes over in the end.

I guess I'm just saying, that the foundry has always pushed me to do my best, and I think a lot of my maps have ended up better for it - even though many times, at the time of the feedback I've felt really frustrated and didn't feel like going through all the effort. I think the question is, should we let mapmakers settle for maps they think are "good enough" or should everyone be pushed to their limits, to create the best possible maps they can?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:01 pm

I pretty sure cairnswk will do his job if people will let him alone for a while.....without continue to tell him what he "is not able" to do...I've already suggested to cairsnwk to take the time he needs. In any case I don't like the recent attitude to throw shit on people face....it certainly doesn't help the foundry to grow, because when you work for free you have to enjoy what you do and not hear people "insult" you all time.....made comparison with mapmakers that are no more here, tell that half of your map are shit, tell you are treated in a different way.....this is not constructive criticism.
Tell him how to achieve the objective.....add to the map what the map is missing...that is constructive criticism....but it seems to me that I don't read that here...in fact if the mapmaker preferred to ask to me via pm instead of posting in the thread....maybe there's a reason. It's a while I say the foundry can't work in this way...construcitve criticism is share your experience with him, not tell to him how much better you are. ;)

Now give to cairnswk the time he needs, please.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 pm

tnb80, i am going to reply to natty, and answer some of the criticisms that have been applied to me in the last few days by Dim.

natty, i'll reply to you on this one. you are entitled to agree with Dim if you feel that way. But the rest of your argument raises more questions than it answers.
So here is a few of my answers, and this is not being nasty but simple truth - the way i see it.

Your london map still has blurry lines on it where they are supposed to be straight/perfect - if I magnify the image up to 200% - unfortunately again much of this is lost in translation, but i can clearly see it with my eyes.

But am i kicking and screaming about this - no - because of the way i see the time over gain productivity element of working as a volunteer for a site where we don't get paid "professional" rates and thus cannot be expected to work as professionals producing top quality print material items for the boss.

So far now i have used your suggestions for gridding on the first attempt which produced some perfect stations and others blurry.
The second attempt i downloaded the trial version CD X5 to use the hinting, but still to no availe as the same result as attempt 1 was produced.
The third attempt took 2 days to rework the background into Illustrator and rework every single station and text element, still to no availe.
You cannot say i have not pushed myself to try to solve this issue. and yes, i absolutely feel there is a lot of "shit for no gain" because this issue is going to not even be noticed by most players because apparently my maps are unpopular anyway, yet almost every other day i see another tournament started on one of them.

If you have an inner perfectionist in you, then i say good for you and also Dim. But i don't have an inner perfectionist in me. I will do my best for my standards and what i beleive is achievable, but then move on. I am rather older than you guys and life has dulled my desire for perfection which i used to have when i was your age.

The other thing i have to say about the foundry pushing you...i have ask you on a number of occasions to push yourself with your maps where i have commented, but was retorted at the time with "this is not my vision for the map" which to me tells me that there is an element of laziness in you (and others) also. In fact we all have it. Some simply recognise it better than others and don't try to disguise it.

Dim on the other hand has other goals. He needs to be:
* the most popular mapmaker on the site from his constant quote of statsistics of games played
* the mapmaker with the quickest number of days quenched for a map
* the mapmaker who would try to win a contest with a map that was loudly/ever so proudly announced as "i did this is two hours" (and the results show; even now he still has lots of blurry lines around that map)
* the mapmaker who accusses me of importing graphics from the web for my NZ map for the borders without realising they are my "own work" while he has flourishes all around his former PNG map that i doubt he could have drawn in two hours and are entirlely inappropriate for the map but yes they look very much imported from the web
* the mapmaker with the loudest voice (insulting everyone) when he returns to the foundry. or was that Dim simply announcing that he was back
* the mapmaker who insists on professional standards when he cannot produce them for the site himself
* the mapmaker who would have everyone struggling to read the instructions and the territory names because of his desire for "something different" on each map but infact all he wants to do is rush each of his maps through the foundry process because his character doesn't have the patience to let it rest until everyone has commented
* the mapmaker who accesses me of rolling out the same-old same-old when his first three maps were a series of the same map with moderate changes to the graphics/gameplay on the first, and since then has managed to roll out a couple more version of land/sea/volcanoes plus a couple more versions of parchement backgrounds
* the mapmaker who thinks everyone should aspire to his standards: there was another mapmaker who tried that one on me, he also was rude and insulting but when asked to fix his army circles on his prison map, couldn't be bothered because he thought they were perfect; he has since started his own site - Dim please follow him and apply your standards on your own site, it seems to work somehow. perhaps you'd have much more satisfaction where you can be the boss.

If you ask me, people who live in glass houses should beware that the glass doesn't fall in around them.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 pm

so basically you're saying:

"i'm not bitching about your mistakes so stop bitching about mine" :roll:

by all means, go to my map threads, show me my blurry lines and ask for correction. show me the pixelation and demand change. i have nothing against this. nobody will be able to push himself to the limit. outside help/force is always necessary. in fact i wish all map makers would do this. if you don't like a map go on and say it. make a suggestion, propose a change, offer advice. come out of your shell and look at all maps there are in production then unleash your criticism and help the map makers improve them. if we all sit around in our own threads and be bothered only with our maps, not going in other threads and never criticising anything we'll pretty soon start churning out crap after crap after crap.

i saw you on several occasions lately trying to auto-suggest yourself as a graphics CA. would you ignore blurriness and pixelation on maps? would you go and tell map makers "don't worry about your blurry borders, you're a volunteer so top notch gfx aren't expected. the time spent over net quality gain is simply just not worth it". would you?

sitting around letting others slide, hoping you'll be allowed to slide too is the worst thing that can happen to the foundry.
if all the mapmakers did this then we could close down the foundry and adopt a landgrab system where anybody uploads anything.
yeah sure i'm not diplomatic, in fact i can be a complete ass at times. yeah and i'm also arrogant and boastful . so what? i'm not trying to win a popularity contest here. i'm trying to get the best possible maps out of this foundry by any means necessary. this was and will always be my goal when it comes to the foundry. if you can see beyond the "aggressiveness" and realise my intentions are good then everything will be fine. if you become all "he hurt my itsy bitsy feelings by criticising my blurry borders so i'm gonna bin my map" then it's your own fault. suck it up and do the crisp stations that you proved you can do. then go to my maps and nitpick the hell out of them. after that go to all other maps and do the same.
in the end it will mean we all make better maps and that's what counts.

PS: as for your attacks directed at me. all i can say is .... meh. i couldn't care less. there used to be a time when i looked up to you. sadly time has turned you into a bitter vindictive man that i couldn't even recognize. it's sad. if it makes you feel better and gets you past this mooshy phase and back on track to finishing graphics, then go ahead and vent some more. i really don't mind.
Major DiM

Postby natty dread on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:If you have an inner perfectionist in you, then i say good for you and also Dim. But i don't have an inner perfectionist in me. I will do my best for my standards and what i beleive is achievable, but then move on. I am rather older than you guys and life has dulled my desire for perfection which i used to have when i was your age.

Really? How old are you then? I turn 30 this year, so you must be middle-aged by now. Funny, I always thought you were around my age.

cairnswk wrote:The other thing i have to say about the foundry pushing you...i have ask you on a number of occasions to push yourself with your maps where i have commented, but was retorted at the time with "this is not my vision for the map" which to me tells me that there is an element of laziness in you (and others) also. In fact we all have it. Some simply recognise it better than others and don't try to disguise it.

How long are you going to keep remembering things I've said or done when I was doing my 3rd map in 2010? The suggestions you made on the orient express map were entirely counter to the kind of map I wanted to make. You basically wanted me to scrap the project and do a completely different map, the kind of map you'd make. And it's entirely legitimate for me to say in that situation, that it's not what I'm looking to do with the map. The stylistic or thematic direction is not a technical aspect of the map, it can't be judged objectively. Only the execution can. So if several people would have told me at that point that the theme wasn't executed well, I would probably have done something about it. But all there was was you telling me that that's not how you imagine orient express and it's not how you'd design the gameplay or graphics.

So no, it's entirely un-comparable.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 am

My god you guys are getting angry over the silliest little thing. None of you three are perfect and I am sure anyone can point out flaws in any of the maps made by anyone. Shouting about something in a map thread is a stupid way of dong this. We have a proper forum for this. And the way you two are going about it (natty and DiM) it is coming across as if you just want cairnswk maps to fail and have now taken it to a level of pure hatred.

Now without blowing the maps up to 10000% of anything else ridiculous, the stations look fine and should not hold this map back. The one thing I did spot and without going over multiple pages of thread, I cannot see if it was pointed out but the G5 above W.Chinese could be centred better on both large and small.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:39 am

koontz1973 wrote:My god you guys are getting angry over the silliest little thing. None of you three are perfect and I am sure anyone can point out flaws in any of the maps made by anyone. Shouting about something in a map thread is a stupid way of dong this. We have a proper forum for this. And the way you two are going about it (natty and DiM) it is coming across as if you just want cairnswk maps to fail and have now taken it to a level of pure hatred.

Really, koontz? All I've tried to do is give constructive criticism. I've even said that I don't agree with the way Dim presents his views and tried to be more diplomatic about explaining my view on the matter. So can you point out to me what exactly have I said that constitutes as "pure hatred" here?

I don't want cairnswk's maps to fail, in fact I want the exactly opposite. I want him to create the best possible maps he can create, no more & no less - the same I would ask from any other mapmaker.

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:08 am

natty, you have been a tad more diplomatic about this and have tried to help but this has now become more than helpful. It has become destructive.

As for the hatred part, that may be a little strong but in no other thread has DiM pestered a map maker like this and said the things he has said. He has said himself he rarely posts in other threads nowadays but the majority now seem to not be of any use apart from to point out all the bad points, in a bad way while making his maps seem so superior. Comparing his posts in my knights thread to his in this one, there is a clear difference in style. But this is all now off topic. More than happy to continue this in a proper thread though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DiM on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:13 am

koontz1973 wrote:Now without blowing the maps up to 10000% of anything else ridiculous, the stations look fine and should not hold this map back.

so you're saying you can't see any difference between the central station on the left image and the one on the right image? :roll:

clean sharp station in the middle .................... current blurry version
Image Image

koontz1973 wrote:As for the hatred part, that may be a little strong but in no other thread has DiM pestered a map maker like this and said the things he has said.

wrong. just check out the research and conquer map.
and no it's not hatred. i haven't hated anybody in my whole life. i'm not gonna start hating somebody online ;)
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:25 am

Okay, everyone needs to take a break from this. There is no need to continue bickering back and forth.
Lieutenant isaiah40

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas