Conquer Club

Punic Wars

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Punic Wars

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 am

I have idea for next map. it is about wars between Carthago and Rome. but I it looks that I will need go with supersize, because there is not enough space on the map for regions (land regions). what do you think?

Oneyed

btw, what next to do with Gentle Revolution?
Last edited by Oneyed on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Punic Wars

Postby Oneyed on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:28 pm

how it is with army numbers? I have a little problem with space in this map with 888, but it looks that with 88 everything could fit.
I´ve look at some maps in Main Foundry Workshop or in Final Forge and some maps have 888 and some 88 for showing how they fit.

I work on new version, be ready :D

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 am

interesting map.. shocked with no comments.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Oneyed on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 am

Bruceswar wrote:interesting map..

thanks. I work on new version. I will need supersize, so when I will finish new version I will ask for it...
Bruceswar wrote:shocked with no comments.

also me... :cry:

thank you for comment. now it is on 100% that I will post new version this week. hope :D

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Lord Maximus on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey,

Very interesting map, and one that I, as a history enthusiast, would very much like to see completed! I had some thoughts that you may or may not want to consider:

*Mercenaries. Both Carthage and Rome made use of very large numbers of mercenaries during the three wars they fought together. Numidian, Iberian and Gaulish forces often proved vital as cavalry, skirmishers and cannon fodder, respectively. The army Hannibal used to invade Italy, for example, consisted almost exclusively of mercenaries: Iberian skirmishers, Numidian cavalry tribesmen and Syrian war elephants. It might be interesting to assign some cities or regions to these proto-nations/tribes which, if held in conjunction with a capitol or source of gold will grant a bonus. Food for thought.

*Harbour cities. A large part of the Punic wars was fought not on land, but on the sea. These wars would decide who would get to be the dominant power in the Western Mediterranean - a position which could not be maintained without a superior navy, crucial for troop mobility. Before the first Punic war Carthage was the uncontested naval power. Rome needed to build its own war fleet (for which it used the expertise and dockyard facilities of the former Greek cities on Sicily) in order to challenge that. The four crucial harbour cities to be considered would be Carthage, Carthago nova (eastern Spain), Ostia (near Rome) and Syracuse (eastern Sicily). You could think about making these cities crucial for troop mobility (maybe granting them the ability to assault any coastal region).

In any case i eagerly await the completion of your map. I am available for any historical questions etc.

Regards, Maximus

P.S: definitely supersize. Go big or go home!
Private 1st Class Lord Maximus

Postby tokle on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:47 pm

I think this map could be really interesting too.
Maximus has some great points to consider.
Major tokle

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 am

I really like the whole impression of this!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby Oneyed on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm

thanks guys for kind words.

I still work on new version, but very slowly. I need more time, this month I will become father, so for me becoming another pleasure and problems :D

Onyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Gillipig on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Oneyed wrote:thanks guys for kind words.

I still work on new version, but very slowly. I need more time, this month I will become father, so for me becoming another pleasure and problems :D

Onyed

Wow, take as long time as you need! No map is worth neglecting your baby for :)! Unless it's a really really good map :D!
I have 5 nephews so I know a little bit about babies. The best age is 2-3 I think :). Is this your first?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Oneyed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Gillipig wrote:Wow, take as long time as you need! No map is worth neglecting your baby for :)! Unless it's a really really good map :D!

no map is so good as baby ;) . and maybe my nights will be without sleep, so I will have much time to work on maps :D
Gillipig wrote:I have 5 nephews so I know a little bit about babies. The best age is 2-3 I think :).

uf, 5 is a lot. all from one parents?
Gillipig wrote:Is this your first?

yes. and I will tell you all pleasures. but also all nightmares :D

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Looks great so far. I really like the graphics; simple but very clear.

1. I would definitely recommend that you can fit this within standard size. You have something between 50 and 60 terts? That should be easy to fit on one screen. Everything you have now is clearly readable, and would still be clearly readable if it was shrunk down a bit. I'm consistently opposed to supersized maps. It really breaks the sense of immersion to go scrolling around on a map. Maps that fit on one screen so that one can get a sense of the strategic solution with one look are always preferable.

2. Maybe settle on a consistent naming convention? It's kind of weird to see "Carthage" spelled the English way and "Carthago Nova" spelled the Latin way. I would go all-English or all-Latin. Or as a third option, find the original Phoenician names for the Carthaginian town; I don't know if that's even possible, but it might be interesting if it is.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:16 pm

I think because of the uber beautiful artwork being done now like by natty and industrial helix and that large European Napoleonic war map; people look at this and are turned off because it resembles the line and ball map that most people so not find attractive. I like it.

I am looking at it from a gameplay aspect. This will be tough to make balanced on the drop.. imo. But if you can do that it is very much like Austerlitz to me where high strategy will count 100%. When ever you have a map that is linear in movement as opposed to branching.. well its unique and tough to play.

I do like this , gl.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Oneyed on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:38 am

thanks guys for interest and support. please be patient and give me some time to finish new version. this month I will become father, so I am busy with another things :)

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby Gillipig on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Oneyed wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Wow, take as long time as you need! No map is worth neglecting your baby for :)! Unless it's a really really good map :D!

no map is so good as baby ;) . and maybe my nights will be without sleep, so I will have much time to work on maps :D
This is most likely true :D!
Oneyed wrote:
Gillipig wrote:I have 5 nephews so I know a little bit about babies. The best age is 2-3 I think :).

uf, 5 is a lot. all from one parents?
No from two. I have three siblings. My brother and I haven't any kids yet.But we probably will in due time :).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby cavemanjim on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 pm

i think maximus hit the nail on the head. he knows of what he speaks. the map is a bit truncated though. southern italy was a huge part of hannibals 7 year stay in italy and the alps dont seem to be significant enough. i think spain needs to be more important as a place to get troop bonuses because it was a source of silver and was where the initial conflict started between rome and carthage. it was also populated with fierce germanic tribes as another source of troop bonuses. hannibal spent 7 years in southern italy and was given sustenance from the regions populace so that should be a source of troop bonuses if possible. when scipio africanus started his campaign he left hannibal in southern italy and went to spain to deny itz wealth of silver and troops from hannibal. then he went to africa and hooked up with numidian calvery. i dont know how to convert that alliance into a troop bonus but they were integral to scipio's final campaign in tunis. go big or go home seems to apply to this game. respectfully cavemanjim
Sergeant 1st Class cavemanjim

Postby cavemanjim on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:49 pm

i was thinking that with all the suggestions for troop bonuses u could offset some off them with strong neutrals or killer neutrals through the mountain passes. how about, besides naval battle sites, which could start out as neutral 2's, having sea lanes that go from coastline to coastline as well to naval battle sites. using a sea lane from coastline to coastline in the attack phase requires the attacker to go all in, no calling off the attack if itz not going well. using a sea lane in the reinforcement phase incurs possible loses, say from 0 to 2 armies. these possible loses should be random to simulate the risky nature of sea travel in that era. respectfully cavemanjim
Sergeant 1st Class cavemanjim

Postby darkmagus on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:28 pm

cavemanjim wrote: i think spain needs to be more important as a place to get troop bonuses because it was a source of silver and was where the initial conflict started between rome and carthage. it was also populated with fierce germanic tribes as another source of troop bonuses.

Fierce germanic tribes populating Spain during the third century before christ? surely a typo, eh?
Try celtiberians or iberians - they managed to beat roman armies a few times.
Private darkmagus

Postby Oneyed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:45 am

guys thanks for all intersting ideas and for interest. I will think about them, how to implement them to map...
now I focus to finish Fragmentation of the CSFR map.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas